• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Horse will publish The Legend of Zelda Encyclopedia (April 24, 2018)

kyo2004

OaxGyJh.jpg

https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/3000-358/The-Legend-of-Zelda-Encyclopedia-HC

Announced yesterday via Kotaku and confirmed later on Dark Horse Comic Twitter

https://kotaku.com/zeldas-hyrule-historia-gets-a-follow-up-encyclopedia-1818735058

https://twitter.com/DarkHorseComics/status/912425992441835520

Info from the Publisher said:
This 320-page book is an exhaustive guide to The Legend of Zelda from the original The Legend of Zelda to Twilight Princess HD.

A comprehensive collection of enemies and items, potions to poes, an expansion of the lore touched upon in Hyrule Historia, concept art, screencaps, maps, main characters and how they relate, languages, and much, much more, including an exclusive interview with Series Producer, Eiji Aonuma! This, the last of The Goddess Collection trilogy, which includes Hyrule Historia and Art & Artifacts, is a treasure trove of explanations and information about every aspect of The Legend of Zelda universe!

* An exhaustive compendium of everything from the first 30 years of The Legend of Zelda.

* An expansion of information from The Legend of Zelda timeline.

* Rare development sketches of your favorite characters.

* An extensive database of items and enemies.

Preorder on Amazon ($39.99)
Preorder on B&N ($31.19)
Buy on Indigo ($48.05 CAD)

Waiting for Amazon and other stores preorder links...

BTW, as always, this is likely the translation of the JP ver (Hyrule Encyclopedia)

PS: Sorry for any mispell/grammar error, first time posting a thread on GAF... xD...

oatmeal

Banned
Jesus - another massive Zelda book to buy :/

The BOTW limited edition guide is so big it won't fit on my shelves.

I'm afraid they're going to release an "updated" version with Breath of the Wild and maybe the next Zelda two years from that release.

Awesome. Completely in for more Zelda book goodness.

Is there any chance of Breath of the Wild getting its own artbook? Now that's one I'd love...

Macka

I'm afraid they're going to release an "updated" version with Breath of the Wild and maybe the next Zelda two years from that release.
I mean with this detailing games up until Twilight Princess, there will presumably be a second volume later on that covers Phantom Hourglass through Breath of the Wild (and possibly a follow up game on the same engine).

I mean with this detailing games up until Twilight Princess, there will presumably be a second volume later on that covers Phantom Hourglass through Breath of the Wild (and possibly a follow up game on the same engine).

They did specifically say Twilight Princess HD. I think that's their way of saying it covers everything up to Breath of the Wild, since that's the most recent Zelda release before it. The Japanese cover has Skyward Zelda and the 30th anniversary branding too.

Macka

They did specifically say Twilight Princess HD. I think that's their way of saying it covers everything up to Breath of the Wild, since that's the most recent Zelda release before it. The Japanese cover has Skyward Zelda and the 30th anniversary branding too.
Oooh, missed that. Well yeah, that's a little concerning then.

Still have to get the book, though. Hopefully this just means BotW is getting an entire volume dedicated to it.

Oooh, missed that. Well yeah, that's a little concerning then.

Still have to get the book, though. Hopefully this just means BotW is getting an entire volume dedicated to it.

This and Art and Artifacts are translations of Japanese books that came out before BOTW afaik. I hope it's getting its own book down the line too.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder why it only goes to TP: HD...

Probably because the timing didn't work out. It released on March 1st in Japan, and for the Breath of the Wild content to be included in this game, even if they pushed the book later into March, that would have likely required a lot of different eyes, months before launch, be looking at art and images for a game that was heavily anticipated and under wraps.

That's unexpected. Are they going to release a Zelda book every year from now on? lol

I just hope there isn't much overlap to the previous books.

Giolon

Without having actually been able to read it, since I've only seen it in Japanese, this seems like the least essential of the three books. The Hyrule Historia gives you amazing information about the development and design of all the games and great interviews with the creators. The Art and Artifacts give you a great look at all the gorgeous artwork produced for the series in a higher quality than had ever been made ever before.

This? It's a catalogue of item and character descriptions from the games. Um, ok...

Maybe when it comes out the text descriptions included will reveal some amazing new insights into the lore of the Zelda world (we do already know about comments from the developers about the nature of Majora's Mask came from there).

But it just seems so much harder to get excited about this book.

Already pre-ordered.
After the amazing Hyrule Historia and the beautiful Arts & Artifacts I am on an insta-buy trip for anything in regards to Zelda related books of their caliber.

illusionary

I knew that this was coming but it hadn't been available for ordering when I most recently checked. However, in looking for something to make up an order tot he free delivery threshold I've found the Amazon UK listing - ordered!

That said, it would be nice if they'd drop the price a little - Amazon UK are asking £27.64, compared to $23.99 from Amazon US. It might even be cheaper to import based on those prices! I'll have to keep an eye on what happens to the price in the coming months...

Are we expecting to see a limited edition of this? I missed out on the limited edition of Hyrule Historia, but was able to get one for Art and Artifacts.

illusionary

No limited edition this time?

Having looked into it a little more since my post above, the Art & Artifacts LE wasn't announced until early this year, a fair amount later than the standard edition. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see similar with the Encyclopedia.

Top Bottom