• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibilities:

1) Bandwidth savings (Same reason Halo 3 had push-to-talk)

2) Telemetry shows that so many people are in party chat or mute other teams nowadays that they might as well turn it off for the bandwidth savings

3) They don't want or removed the ability for voice chat to be mixed into the soundscape (processing power savings) ala Halo 2/3/Reach. I think this would be the least likely though.

I think it's probably 2.

I doubt its a technical thing, its probably just:

4) To remove trash talk so that people don't get upset.

Does anyone else think that we'll get a SpartanOps mission set in Infinity? From the VGA trailer it looked like the Covenant invaded Infinity through the artifact.

We already had a campaign mission partly set aboard the Infinity, so it's pretty much a given that SpOps will revisit that.

To be honest that could have happened on any Halo game, its the maps fault not the mechanics. I was laughing all the way through though, 4v4 competitive gameplay on these maps is just not going to happen.

Was stupid that Red team got ordnance for free for nothing though, they didn't use it but even still.

While I agree somewhat being able to escape death with things like Sprint and Thrusters is a fault of Halo 4.

I think its more a case of bad players that anything else. They happily spent the majority of the games at the spawn.

Adrift is a bad map full stop regardless

The Pit is what I was thinking of when making that post. Standoffs and stalemates occurred on that map in Slayer, when two teams playing for money didn't want to give an inch. The difference though, is that instead of the entire 12 minutes being dead, stalemates didn't last longer than three minutes because the rockets were up and that engineered a confrontation between the two teams; the winner of which would then have the confidence to push with a power weapon. If the winner of rockets elected to camp green/longhall on their side of the map that was because they had a lead and then the other team has an incentive to push because they'll lost of the don't redress the score deficit. Halo.
Not just power weapons, but power ups as pickups also encourage map movement: Overshield and Invis. Those two items, along with one or two power weapons made for great competitive play. There is something to be said for simplicity in an FPS, but it seems like that concept has long been forgotten.

Imagine how much bitching would be going on if red team won by 1 point because they got a lucky sticky detonator kill at the end. I still cant believe red team got a power weapon and blue team didnt.

Talents

Banned
ABjFE.jpg

You usually know what equipment the other team has though if you're watching their equipment spawns/weapon spawns.

Shadders

I think the only thing that would get me to resub Gold at this point is if they went back and took out equipment in 3's matchmaking and also made the map packs free so as to give some incentive for some cheapasses to go back to it and populate some of the lists.

I think making the map packs free would be a great way to boost the populations of H3 and Wars. I'm not entirely sure 343 would want to boost those games though, just takes players away from their baby, Halo 4.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I think making the map packs free would be a great way to boost the populations of H3 and Wars. I'm not entirely sure 343 would want to boost those games though, just takes players away from their baby, Halo 4.

COD hasn't been afraid to split its population and it's done those game no harm, in fact, if anything, it's done the franchise good as you can easily pick up a handful of recent COD games and still get online and play.

So yeah, I'd expect Halo to pretty much bend over backwards on this long-standing "rule" as soon as there's an opportunity to do so.

Like next Xmas.

damn, even without the salt over the changes and everything I don't think Halo 4 was the best game this year.. Mark of the Ninja, Fez, Trials 2, Walking Dead, Journey, Borderlands 2 all of them would be ranked higher in my opinion :x
Indeed, by the fifth main entry into a series regardless how faithful it stuck to the formula I'd expect something incredibly drastic to make it GOTY eligible like an RE4 style paradigm shift. Fresh blood need their time in the limelight.

damn, even without the salt over the changes and everything I don't think Halo 4 was the best game this year.. Mark of the Ninja, Fez, Trials 2, Walking Dead, Journey, Borderlands 2 all of them would be ranked higher in my opinion :x
*shrug*
People enjoy different things. Finding a GotY list you're completely happy with is very rare, and probably boring.

I'm both happy and sad to see them win. I wish them the best, but .. I .. anyway, well worn topic.

IHaveIce

Banned
*shrug*
People enjoy different things. Finding a GotY list you're completely happy with is very rare, and probably boring.

I'm both happy and sad to see them win. I wish them the best, but .. I .. anyway, well worn topic.

Of couse. I'm happy for 343 and that their efforts get aknowledged by many sites, but I don't know what defines Halo as best game of the year, the graphics were amazing for an Xbox game.. indeed, but the story had plotholes and more problems.. maybe I can't see it objective as a fan of the franchise who felt the multiplayer is wrong on so many levels.

TheOddOne

Halo 4 won't win a lot of GOTY awards, there more deserving games out there and you already see that. Games like Walking Dead, Journey, Borderlands II and more have been sweeping up awards left and right at major award ceremonies. Halo 4 winning one (or some) GOTY isn’t really that big of a deal in light of that, it is actually refreshing to see shows pick different winners. As much HaloGAF hates Halo 4, the game did some things right and people will acknowledge that regardless how you personally feel about the game.

rakka

It's the fact that skill matching is given a much higher weighting than in Reach (due to 'trueskill' complaints), which means it will sacrifice connection for skill.

My connection hasn't changed, I was having very few laggy games in Reach, in Halo 4 I've noticed a LOT more lag than I ever have had with Reach.

Edit: even taking into account host record changes.

I'm not sure if I'm imagining it... but the hit registration seems a bit 'off' compared to Reach as well?

same here.

those that are saying its our connections: I play both reach and 4 every day and I've had more issues with lag in 4 by far.

not unexpected though, i mean skill matching is a higher priority apparently.

hopefully connection priority will be added soon. hard to enjoy a game no matter how even skill levels of players in a match are when it's lagging.

I think the only thing that would get me to resub Gold at this point is if they went back and took out equipment in 3's matchmaking and also made the map packs free so as to give some incentive for some cheapasses to go back to it and populate some of the lists.

I doubt they will make the map pack free, but at the very least they should make it so that there are no DLC restrictions on playlists. They should give DLC a high priority weighting to balance this, so that if you do get 8 people with the DLC there is a good chance you will get a DLC map. That way more people will be able to populate the playlists, and DLC owners will still get DLC games when they match up against other DLC owners. Remove Team Mythic and either replace it with a playlist which contains all DLC maps or at this stage just don't bother with a DLC playlist.

Actually I think I want to see them go in and really change up Halo 3 matchmaking, it is left in a terrible state. Rumble Pit and 7 on the 7th should be merged into one playlist. Reset the exp every month for the achievement but don't split the player pool. Put stuff like infection, KoTH, Odball in there. Lone Wolves should be slayer only. That would be great for the ranked/ social divide.

Clean up Social Slayer - make it 4v4, with the low population size and quitters less players is better - it should be Slayer only but keep the other settings the same. I.e. a mix between AR and BR starts. Ranked Team Slayer should be BR starts all the time. Again the ranked/ social divide is still important and there is a strong distinction between them.

Remove Rockets, Swords, Hammers etc from all playlists and shove them into a team action sack playlist - shove things like Grifball in there too - have it as a catch all playlist for any team based fringe gametypes.

I doubt think one would go down well, but condense Snipes, Swat and MLG into a Team Tactical playlist.

Playlists:
Ranked:
Lone Wolves
Slayer
Doubles
Tactical

Social:
Rumble Pit
Social Slayer
Multi Team
Team Action Sack
BTB

I think that could work fairly well? 4 ranked playlists and 5 social playlists is less than we have now and there is still a large degree of player choice.

Does anyone here actually consider Halo "Dudebro"?

Also thinking of making some wallpapers and stuff later. What's everyones monitor resolution?

What do you mean "dudebro"

That 0-0 match was ridiculous. SMH.

I see people throwing around "dudebro" in reference to halo too much lately. Just wondering if I am missing something or not. Nothing about it says dudebro to me.

Call of Duty is all "Murica fuck yea" and Gears is all about big manly men those are things I consider dudebro. Like duke nukem but unironicly.

Halo has none of that for me.

maybe they are talking about the player demographic being frat boys but that's pretty much confined to the US only.

DeadNames

Banned
I see people throwing around "dudebro" in reference to halo too much lately. Just wondering if I am missing something or not. Nothing about it says dudebro to me.

Call of Duty is all "Murica fuck yea" and Gears is all about big manly men those are things I consider dudebro. Like duke nukem but unironicly.

maybe they are talking about the player demographic being frat boys but that's pretty much confined to the US only.

Oh....

I can see Palmer as a dudebro-esque character. "Freakin' eggheads".

I think halo's demographic is much less "dudebro" than the military shooters that have exploded this generation.

Halo is much more varied IMO, I'm actually kind of surprised they haven't pushed for a teen rating (although I'm not sure how that affects games compared to movies, and what they'd have to cut to make it to T).

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
OT but I wanted to share this with the rest of HaloGAF. I shared it on Facebook. Probably my best match in COD (or any other MP game ever) I went 43-13 and got a 6 kill medal (same as a killtrocity)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL-w6kZRknc&list=UUR_Gu9uB5kK78QuacYHONdA&index=1

I think halo's demographic is much less "dudebro" than the military shooters that have exploded this generation.

Halo is much more varied IMO, I'm actually kind of surprised they haven't pushed for a teen rating (although I'm not sure how that affects games compared to movies, and what they'd have to cut to make it to T).

I would imagine Halo demographic is mostly a "younger" crowd to be honest.

Spartan ops is VERY dudebro. It's the most "dudebro" Halo has ever been and it's on par with the other two franchises you mentioned.

Pretty sure Palmer's dialogue is written, recorded, and signed off in Microsoft's marketing department, and 343 are just contractually bound to include it in their game.

Striker

You usually know what equipment the other team has though if you're watching their equipment spawns/weapon spawns.
They spawned fairly quick so that's not necessarily the case. Often times you can see two players having the same piece (good portion of the team if you played Valhalla and its power drainer).

Fuchsdh

While I wish the Spartans weren't so "bros bros bros" in Ops, I kind of like the more joking and light-hearted banter of the last two episodes. Playing Halo 2 I was struck by how sardonic and chatty the Marines were; that definitely went away with Reach and Halo 4. It's sort of odd how they kept it out of campaign but layered it on extra thick in Ops though... I think a little bit more professionalism from the S-IVs would be appreciated. Give me something like Buck's ODSTs.

Conor 419

Banned
I think they should retcon Spartan Op's, also quickpatch the Spartan IV's in campaign with regular marines. Remove Palmer entirely, she's a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom