• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega CD/Mega CD Appreciation Thread of Welcome to the Next Level

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
tumblr_o27nbvGK531r7sijxo1_500.gif

I think we can all admit that The Silver Star was absolutely superior on the Sega CD.

Eternal Blue... however, was infinitely inferior on the platform.

I don't agree on myself . Eternal Blue also suffers, there's less animation on the characters during the battles. The Mega CD versions for both games are just better.

Also don't get the FMV or Nigh Trap hate, for one think it was PCDos CD-Rom was FMV KING and I loved games like Ripper Ect. Night Trap was hugely innovative for the time and FMV in general. I really liked the game back in the day, me and my mates used to love to play the game and guess where the bad guys appear next.

It was a fun game to watch and play back in the day

No, you get this entirely backwards, as I said earlier in this thread (discussion starts middle of the page) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1122548&page=28

Lunar 1 is better on PS1/Saturn (though the SCD version is great too), and Lunar 2 on SCD.

Lunar is a complete game on the Saturn/PS , but the Mega CD version CD soundtrack is magical and not half as good on the Saturn/PS. If you can put up with the basic visuals (which weren't great when the game came out in 1992) then I'll go with the Mega CD version all the way, the music is incredible!

Aren't the spell effects supposed to look better on Saturn than PS1? Shame that never got localized.

I left it out not because it doesn't measure up to the other versions, but because I have no experience at all with it. I've heard that, similar to Grandia, we lost out on getting the PS1 version instead, but what can you do?

I didn't mean to start a debate! Ive just been selling off my playstation collection to focus on SEGA/Nintendo.

Any Sega cd talk is good talk though!

What's the best emulator for Sega CD? I want to test some of my games.

Actually, how do you rip them? I made them into isos and they don't seem to load at all...

A .CUE contains track information. Most CD based games include a data track and audio tracks. An ISO won't be able to differentiate them which is why you usually want to use a BIN/CUE. A BIN/CUE will always work in that situation but an ISO will only work if the game only includes data.

ISO's are more for DVD sized images; sega-CD & that gen you're gonna want bin/cue files

A .CUE contains track information. Most CD based games include a data track and audio tracks. An ISO won't be able to differentiate them which is why you usually want to use a BIN/CUE. A BIN/CUE will always work in that situation but an ISO will only work if the game only includes data.

Does it matter which you use? I was using imgburn I think and it defaults to .bin.

It's very important for Sega CD at least to use a format that can support mix data / redbook audio properly. So you should use bin/cue, since bin is just raw data and cue has info about track location and type.

BIN files are pared with a CUE file. The BIN file contains all the data and the CUE contains information about the tracks. Use BIN or CUE, whichever it asks for, because they go together.

Do you recommend an emulator? Because I was trying retroarch but it doesn't seem to acknowledge my sega CD stuff even as .bin

Sapiens

Kega Fusion is a great emulator by a former Iguana programmer (acclaim) named Steve Snake.

Works great on windows - but the current OSX version is broken, unfortunately.

Maou

Kega Fusion is a great emulator by a former Iguana programmer (acclaim) named Steve Snake.

This is a question I was trying to figure out earlier too, since I have my games but don't want to deal with putting the MCD together, finding space for two AC adaptors, a TV, etc. Can Kega run games normally right off a CD drive? And do fast-forward functions etc. work even when playing off the CD?

Dude, you're awesome. My rip just worked perfectly on this after trying like 5 different emulators. Thanks!

Sapiens

Dude, you're awesome. My rip just worked perfectly on this after trying like 5 different emulators. Thanks!

You are welcome.

This is a question I was trying to figure out earlier too, since I have my games but don't want to deal with putting the MCD together, finding space for two AC adaptors, a TV, etc. Can Kega run games normally right off a CD drive? And do fast-forward functions etc. work even when playing off the CD?

It can run games right from CD - but it's been a while since I have used it. I know there are some bugs with features like save states and such when in MCD mode - but you'll have to try it out for yourself to be sure.

Kega is all about accuracy though - so you can't go wrong with it.

I can't speak much for how savestates are handled, but Fusion can for sure run games off of disc. Since so many games used cartridge or built-in SRAM for saving, I always just used SRAM saving to save my place when playing from disc. I can't remember if I ever tried using fast forward with a disc, but at least on the most recent version of Fusion I downloaded (and I don't believe it's been updated for the better part of a decade), fast forward barely/rarely worked anyhow for stock Genesis, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Will Fusion run a disc seamlessly like a faster disc-read version of an actual Sega CD would? Yes.

Ok, cool. It seems to be struggling to even rip it now for some reason. :/

My sega cd was sitting and now it won't even power up :(

That's pretty common actually. Is it a model 2? A lot of them have a fuse that blows. You can either jump it altogether or replace it with a better one. It's probably the easiest console repair you can do and it's good practice for soldering if you haven't before.

That's pretty common actually. Is it a model 2? A lot of them have a fuse that blows. You can either jump it altogether or replace it with a better one. It's probably the easiest console repair you can do and it's good practice for soldering if you haven't before.

No, it's actually the hulkish model 1. I wish I had a model 2 or cdx after the drive issues with model 1.

Yeah, I have to pull it apart when I have time, game gear died from sitting around too, apparently a capacitor broke when I opened it up to check why it wouldn't turn on. :/

Maou

It can run games right from CD - but it's been a while since I have used it. I know there are some bugs with features like save states and such when in MCD mode - but you'll have to try it out for yourself to be sure.

Kega is all about accuracy though - so you can't go wrong with it.

I can't speak much for how savestates are handled, but Fusion can for sure run games off of disc. Since so many games used cartridge or built-in SRAM for saving, I always just used SRAM saving to save my place when playing from disc. I can't remember if I ever tried using fast forward with a disc, but at least on the most recent version of Fusion I downloaded (and I don't believe it's been updated for the better part of a decade), fast forward barely/rarely worked anyhow for stock Genesis, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Will Fusion run a disc seamlessly like a faster disc-read version of an actual Sega CD would? Yes.

Great news! Thank you both! While I love the MCD, I guess what I truly love are the games as opposed to the increasingly precarious contraption I have which would run them, so what a joy to know my games can run happily on a computer.

This reminds me in general of the tragedy of how the MCD is probably the least preserved out of any of the great libraries on virtual consoles. All the core 16 and 32 bit libraries largely persist, including much of the PC Engine, but MCD alone is left behind other than...Sonic CD, and I think that's about it!

cj_iwakura

Great news! Thank you both! While I love the MCD, I guess what I truly love are the games as opposed to the increasingly precarious contraption I have which would run them, so what a joy to know my games can run happily on a computer.

This reminds me in general of the tragedy of how the MCD is probably the least preserved out of any of the great libraries on virtual consoles. All the core 16 and 32 bit libraries largely persist, including much of the PC Engine, but MCD alone is left behind other than...Sonic CD, and I think that's about it!

Well... the FMV games are making a resurgence for some reason. Night Trap and Double Switch namely.

It baffles me that we've never gotten the original Lunars revised, but that's probably never happening. I wish they'd get the same treatment FF1 & 2 did.

Maou

Well... the FMV games are making a resurgence for some reason. Night Trap and Double Switch namely.

It baffles me that we've never gotten the original Lunars revised, but that's probably never happening. I wish they'd get the same treatment FF1 & 2 did.
Oh, I hadn't really thought of the (uneven) international output, though demand may have been relatively limited on those (though I admire your love for Night Trap!). And while there are understandable legal issues that muddy the re-releases of Lunar TSS and EB, I'm thinking of the mass of other standouts, from Silpheed to Keio to Popful May to Shining Force to Urusei Yatsura to Time Gal to...

Only the MCD has suffered such a cruel fate, it seems to me, although Saturn and Dreamcast games are moving down that vector too in the absence of a continued "host company" like Sony or Nintendo to preserve their own systems' legacies.

Laws00

Reading stuff about this game everyone seemed to hate this game cause Snatcher just came out and everyone was like screw this shit

space-adventure.png

IrishNinja

^honestly I don't remember hearing about it at all in the day, and I had a blast beating it last year...would love a copy without needed another student loan

Why have you guys not posted in a while?

There's a reasonably priced Japanese model 1 Mega CD on eBay right now that's "untested", but it's got all its parts and cables, metal shields and all.

I kind of want to get it but the shipping is making it a bit too rich for my tastes.

HELP ME GAF, SHOULD I GET IT

I have a working SCD and genesis combo that's just missing the proper video cable and power adapter.

Where should I go to find those and how much is the system worth these days?

I've been in the mood to play Snatcher recently. I'll probably be posting again soon. Although, I might way until I get a Genesis, Sega CD, 32x power cable.

Rayderism

SegaCD.....ah, those were the days. I liked so many of the FMV games back then....pixelly video and all.

Sewer Shark
Road Avenger
Tomcat Alley
Ground Zero Texas
Silpheed
Novastorm
Microcosm
Supreme Warrior (I remember the standard version was actually better then the 32X version)
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs

....and so many others I can't remember the names of anymore.....

Geez, now I'm feeling all nostalgic.

I have a working SCD and genesis combo that's just missing the proper video cable and power adapter.

Where should I go to find those and how much is the system worth these days?

I'd like to recommend a combo AC adapter but I haven't gotten mine yet. I guess I will get one in August?

How do I fix the internal battery of my Sega CD? It can't hold a charge anymore.

Have you ever soldered before?

Top Bottom