• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorsports |OT| of Endurance Racing, Nascar, Rally, Sportscars, MotoGP, etc

dubc35

That Merc is beat. I love endurance racing...although I boo the safety car!

Sad to see the Ginetta off. I loved the G50(?) in Gran Turismo 4.

Dead Man

Yeah, damn good show, saw the online numbers get up to about 17000 at one point, that would be more than V8 Supercars gets all year with their stupid pay for streaming worldwide decision.

Can't sell ads if no one is watching.

Shaneus

.75s in it at the end between the top two group A cars... insane. Would've liked to have seen the McLaren place higher, but being a Ford fan, I'm glad Bowe got another Bathurst win under his belt :)

Wow, sounds like it was a highly entertaining last couple of hours. Hopefully I can find some highlights. Great job by the Ferrari team. Always happy to see Mika Salo do well.

What a terrific event though. Really impressed. Hopefully they can continue to grow it.

Wow, sounds like it was a highly entertaining last couple of hours. Hopefully I can find some highlights. Great job by the Ferrari team. Always happy to see Mika Salo do well.

What a terrific event though. Really impressed. Hopefully they can continue to grow it.

Fucksake, I was recording the feed but the site crapped out on me with 45 mins to go. :(
The stream is all archived in the same place - I just watched the last couple of hours, incredible stuff. It seems to skip a few seconds occasionally, but otherwise it's all good. Great coverage, one of the most exciting endurance races I've ever seen!

friday

Haha, that was a rough race, attrition was pretty high. Some of the passes those A cars had to make on the slower ones in the mountain section had me on edge. I am glad that one Lambo driver was alright after that one crash, he hit the wall hard.

Shaneus

There have been 24hr races at Bathurst... I'm sure of it. But a 12hr is just as good.

For some reason it feels like this is one of the first that has solid global awareness. Pretty sure it's the first one covered by Radio Le Mans.

Dead Man

There have been 24hr races at Bathurst... I'm sure of it. But a 12hr is just as good.

For some reason it feels like this is one of the first that has solid global awareness. Pretty sure it's the first one covered by Radio Le Mans.

The Bathurst 12 hour was the traditional length, and it's been around on and off since the 90's, it is why the RX7 Bathurst editions exist. There were a couple 24 hour races in the early 2000's, part of the that squabble about who had the rights to the Bathurst 1000 race from memory. Stupid Procar.

7vHqN1m.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_RX-7
Australia had a special high-performance version of the RX-7 in 1995, dubbed the RX-7 SP. This model was developed as a homologated road-going version of the factory race cars used in the 12-hour endurance races held at Bathurst, New South Wales, beginning in 1991 for the 1995 event held at Eastern Creek, Sydney, New South Wales. An initial run of 25 was made, and later an extra 10 were built by Mazda due to demand. The RX-7 SP produced 204 kW (274 hp) and 357 N·m (263 lb·ft) of torque, compared to the 176 kW (236 hp) and 294 N·m (217 lb·ft) of the standard version. Other changes included a race-developed carbon fibre nose cone and rear spoiler, a carbon fibre 120 L fuel tank (as opposed to the 76 L tank in the standard car), a 4.3:1-ratio rear differential, 17-inch wheels, larger brake rotors and calipers. An improved intercooler, exhaust, and modified ECU were also included. Weight was reduced significantly with the aid of further carbon fibre usage including lightweight vented bonnet and Recaro seats to reduce weight to 1050 kg (from 1150 kg). It was a serious road-going race car that matched their rival Porsche 911 RS CS for the final year Mazda officially entered. The formula paid off when the RX-7 SP won the title, giving Mazda the winning 12hr trophy for a fourth straight year. The winning car also gained a podium finish at the international tarmac rally Targa Tasmania months later. A later special version, the Bathurst R, was released in 2001 to commemorate this, in Japan only.

TheBear

Only reason I enjoy 24hr races is night racing. Not that the actual racing is enjoyable to watch, I just think it adds an interesting element to the whole thing. Any race at Bathurst is great though. My brother was lucky enough to race around it and says it's terrifying and awesome at the same time.

Also, what are some websites for motorsport news? I must admit I don't have a great interest in F1, but I am interested in touring cars and rally etc..

Shaneus

Only reason I enjoy 24hr races is night racing. Not that the actual racing is enjoyable to watch, I just think it adds an interesting element to the whole thing. Any race at Bathurst is great though. My brother was lucky enough to race around it and says it's terrifying and awesome at the same time.

Also, what are some websites for motorsport news? I must admit I don't have a great interest in F1, but I am interested in touring cars and rally etc..
This is the only place I go :/

Dilly

Banned

I use Autosport.com, however the really interesting columns and articles require a subscription. But it's a great site for autosport news.

TheBear

Anyone into motorsports themselves here?
Currently building a replica of the Calsonic R32 GTR JGTC car. At the moment I'm just doing track days and supersprints (time attack), but will eventually will get into door-to-door stuff. Anyway here's my car :)

1618703_10153811927435301_2044507076_n.jpg

575277_10153811927500301_1634014137_n.jpg

2014 Le Mans entry list
LM P1

Audi Sport Team Joest Audi R18 e-TRON Quattro Hybrid Lucas di Grassi
Audi Sport Team Joest Audi R18 e-TRON Quattro Hybrid Marce Fassler
Audi Sport Team Joest Audi R18 e-TRON Quattro Hybrid Filipe Albuquerque
Toyota Racing Toyota TS 040 Hybrid Alexander Wurz
Toyota Racing Toyota TS 040 Hybrid Anthony Davidson
Porsche Team Porsche 919 Hybrid Romain Dumas
Porsche Team Porsche 919 Hybrid Timo Bernhard
Lotus Lotus T129 AER Christijan Albers
Rebellion Racing Rebellion-Toyota R-One Nicolas Prost
Rebellion Racing Rebellion-Toyota R-One Mathias Beche

LM P2

Strakka Racing Dome Strakka S103 Nissan Nick Leventis
Millennium Racing Oreca 03 Nissan Fabien Giroix
Millennium Racing Oreca 03 Nissan Stefan Johansson
Sebastien Loeb Racing Oreca 03 Nissan Rene Rast
G Drive Racing Morgan Nissan Roman Rusinov
SMP Racing Oreca 03 Nissan Kirill Ladygin
OAK Racing – Team Asia Ligier JS P2 HPD David Cheng
Race Performance Oreca 03 Judd Michel Frey
OAK Racing Morgan Nissan Alex Brundle
Signatech Alpine Alpine A450 Nissan Paul-Loup Chatin
SMP Racing Oreca 03 Nissan Serge Zlobin
Jota Sport Zytek Z11SN Nissan Simon Dolan
Greaves Motorsport Zytek Z11SN Nissan Thomas Kimber-Smith
Newblood by Morand Racing Morgan Judd Christian Klien
Thiriet by TDS Racing Ligier JP S2 Pierre Thiriet
KCMG Oreca 03 Nissan Matthew Howson
Murphy Prototypes Oreca 03 Nissan Greg Murphy

LM GTE Pro

AF Corse Ferrari 458 Italia Gianmaria Bruni
RAM racing Ferrari 458 Italia Matt Griffin
AF Corse Ferrari 458 Italia Davide Rigon
Corvette Racing Chevrolet Corvette C7 Jan Magnussen
Corvette Racing Chevrolet Corvette C7 Oliver Gavin
Aston Martin Racing Aston Martin Vantage Bruno Senna
Porsche Team Manthey Porsche 911 RSR Patrick Pilet
Porsche Team Manthey Porsche 911 RSR Marco Holzer
SRT Motorsports Viper GTS-R Rob Bell
SRT Motorsports Viper GTS-R Jeroen Bleekemolen
Aston Martin Racing Aston Martin Vantage Darren Turner
Aston Martin Racing Aston Martin Vantage Stefan Mucke

LM GTE Am

Ram Racing Ferrari 458 Italia Johnny Mowlem
Team Sofrev ASP Ferrari 458 Italia Fabien Barthez
AF Corse Ferrari 458 Italia Peter Ashley Mann
AF Corse Ferrari 458 Italia Luis Perez Companc
AF Corse Ferrari 458 Italia Yannick Mallegol
IMSA Performance Matmut Porsche 911 GT3 RSR Erik Maris
SMP Racing Ferrari 458 Italia Andrea Bertolini
Prospeed Competition Porsche 911 GT3 RSR Francois Perrodo
Dempsey Racing Porsche 911 GT3 RSR Patrick Dempsey
AF Corse Ferrari 458 Italia Stephen Wyatt
Craft Racing Aston Martin Vantage Frank Yu
Proton Competition Porsche 911 GT3 RSR Christian Ried
8 Star Motorsports Ferrari 458 Italia Vicente Potolicchio
Aston Martin Racing Aston Martin Vantage Kristian Poulsen
Aston Martin Racing Aston Martin Vantage Richie Stanaway
Aston Martin Racing Aston Martin Vantage Paul Dalla Lana
http://www.crash.net/sportscars/news/200270/1/2014-le-mans-24-hours-full-entry-list.html

Dilly

Banned
Anyone into motorsports themselves here?
Currently building a replica of the Calsonic R32 GTR JGTC car. At the moment I'm just doing track days and supersprints (time attack), but will eventually will get into door-to-door stuff. Anyway here's my car :)

1618703_10153811927435301_2044507076_n.jpg

575277_10153811927500301_1634014137_n.jpg

I am ridiculously jealous of this one.

Shaneus

Yup, Dempsey's been in a number of them now. I was somewhat surprised (like you) as well, but that was a number of years ago. He's quite the driver.

You also may not have noticed that last weekend at Bathurst, one of the drivers was Eric Bana.

PS. Webber would be in one of the LMP1 Porsches. The list isn't strictly the entry list per se, in this video from the official FIA WEC Dailymotion channel, they say the LMP1 listed drivers are "first drivers".

On the same channel, if you watch this teaser you can see enough hints of Webber, particularly with his helmet and a Porsche-gloved hand handling a helmet with an Australian flag.

Chris R

I'm pretty sure Dempsey sees himself more of a driver than an actor. He's not bad, either.
He isn't bad and it's nice to get a little more exposure for the sport with his celebrity.

Unlimited tonight. New living arrangement so no idea if I can watch it live on TV :(

B.K.

I'd hate to work in Hendrick Motorsports's engine department today. They had four engine failures in Daytona 500 practice today. Three of them never got a dozen laps on them before they failed.

dubc35

You also may not have noticed that last weekend at Bathurst, one of the drivers was Eric Bana.
Cool, didn't notice that. Love The Beast is a great movie. I'd love to do a targa rally event.

Also very jelly of the r32 skyline. R32 is best skyline.

B.K.

I wonder what Wrecky Stenhouse was thinking in that one. He got out from under Kurt Busch, everyone was still wrecking, and he decided to speed up.

Only caught a minute of the race, but I'm impressed with the aero package they've got this year. Looks to be the best it's been in years. High closing speeds might mean half the field wrecks, but I'll take that over tandems, single file, and no passing.

Chris R

Just watched this morning, decent race highlighted by the Ricky and Danica collision. And now they know to not let someone drive away on the final lap. Did Jr's car have issues? He was really slow when Ambrose collected him.

Vicious

Just watched this morning, decent race highlighted by the Ricky and Danica collision. And now they know to not let someone drive away on the final lap. Did Jr's car have issues? He was really slow when Ambrose collected him.

He had to check up because he was being blocked.

Top Bottom