• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes: Metal Gear Solid series rankings (Voting ends Feb. 20)

ScOULaris

JiF0B.png

It seems like every thread about the Metal Gear Solid series eventually turns into a debate about which game was the best (and the worst) in the saga. The MGS series is rivaled probably only by Final Fantasy and Pokemon when it comes to how difficult it is to come to a consensus about which entry in the series was the best. With regard to the MGS series, things get especially tricky because each mainline game varies pretty wildly from its predecessor while still keeping the core gameplay and themes intact.

I've never done a GAF Votes thread before, so I am gonna keep this simple. We are only voting on mainline games in the Metal Gear Solid canon. To be clear, those games are defined as such:

• Metal Gear Solid (MGS1)
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty/Substance (MGS2)
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/Subsistence (MGS3)
  • Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (MGS:pO)
  • Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (MGS4)
  • Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (MGS:pW)

To make it easier for me to compile the data, please use the abbreviations in parentheses when writing out your votes.

I have not included Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake because I'd like to restrict the vote to the "Solid" series specifically. After all, most of us were introduced to Tactical Espionage Action with the release of MGS1, and all of the arguments I see on GAF revolve around the Solid games. I also omitted some other games under the Solid moniker for not being considered canon (e.g. Metal Gear Ac!d and Ghost Babel).

Please format your votes as seen in the example below:

1. MGS1; Optional notes about why you picked this game.
2. MGS2; Optional notes about why you picked this game.
3. MGS3; Optional notes about why you picked this game.

Simply put your Top 3 MGS games, with #1 being your favorite.

Keeping in line with the simplicity theme I'm going for here, points will be awarded for each vote as follows:

• #1 vote = 5 points
  • #2 vote = 3 points
  • #3 vote = 1 point

Voting will be closed on February 20th, which gives everyone a week to chime in and have their votes counted. Once that happens, I will compile all of the votes, add up each game's total points, and then make a new thread with the results.

It's time to make things official and see what game stands tall as GAF's collective best in the MGS series. So stock up on rations, flick on your thermal goggles, and light up a cig. We're goin' in.

TheExodu5

Banned
1. MGS2; loved 60fps. I enjoyed the stealth gameplay quite a bit in this one. The story was hilariously out there. There were some low points, but I liked this one quite a bit.
2. MGS4; the best mechanics in the series, though I didn't like the level design nearly as much as MGS2. I loved the different set pieces (even Chapter 3). I mostly enjoyed the nonsensical story, so I wasn't too peeved about this one.
3. MGS3; a lot of great ideas, but the camo/survival aspect simply bogged the game down for me. 30fps was a big step back from MGS2. The story was underwhelming after all the great things I had heard.
4. MGS; interesting level design, but the combat mechanics and boss fights really ruined the game for me. I got very frustrated at times.

1. MGS3
2. MGS1
3. MGS:pW
4. MGS4
5. MGS2
6. MGS:pO

I love all of them besides PO, which I consider to be merely decent.

ScOULaris said:
Remember guys, I'm only going to be counting your Top 3 votes.
That's fine, but my list wouldn't feel right without all of them. :)

ScOULaris

Remember guys, I'm only going to be counting your Top 3 votes.

And try to write them as the abbreviations to make things easier for me.

MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, MGS:pO, MGS4, MGS:pW

NIGHT-

1. Metal Gear Solid- original is still by far the best in the series
2. Mgs3
3. Mgs2
4. Mgs4- don't even wanna list this turd

This is a tough one. One of my favorite franchises of all times.

1. MGS1; My first Metal Gear game and left a huge mark on me as a gamer. It came out of nowhere for me, and I only picked it up off of word of mouth from a couple of my friends at school. Amazing, amazin game.
2. MGS3; Have beaten this game so many times. Great, memorable boss battles.
3. MGS4; Solid game that I still need to go back and beat again. Of the MGS games I've played, the only one I haven't beaten multiple times (was waiting for the damn trophy patch! :lol)

Frost_Ace

MGS1: still the most polished game of the series, MGS3D might take its place if it resolves the problems with the UI

MGS3: Apart form the aforementioned UI problems, the game is wonderful and the ending is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen.

MGS2: I liked Raiden well enough and the mindfuck at the end of the game is priceless. The "corridor" feeling of the game is still holding it back though.

EDIT: whoops removed MGS4 :p

entremet

Did Kojima even work on portable ops? As a director I mean? Game seemed off.

My list.

mgs1: still the best, baby.
Mgs2: great but I missed snake
Mgs3: good, but clunky systems

Naar

Since I can't decide which one is my favorite (MGS3 and PW) I will give PW the nod because I don't think it will get many 1st place votes

1. MGS PW
2. MGS 3
3. MGS1

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
1. MGS1
2. MGS2
3. MGS3
4. MGS4

Yup, my love for the games have dwindled slowly since the first game, but I still love them. I just think they get progressively just a little bit worse, with MGS3 to MGS4 being the biggest downgrade. That said, I love them all at the time of play, although the only game that I don't have any major niggles with is MGS1. MGS2 had too many cutscenes and the best part of the game was the first two hours (on the tanker). MGS3 had an annoying first-aid and camoflage system (too much menu-juggling). MGS4 felt disjointed due to the constant globetrotting and again had too many cutscenes (particularly the ending... wtf Kojima?). It also felt more like it was desperate to close the series and spent too much energy tying up lose threads, instead of just telling a good story. It should've just focused on closing the Solid Snake storyline, instead it seemed like the entire series was going to end, with no detail left explained.

Top Bottom