• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

IrishNinja

okay, i gotta ask: what's the definitive thing on properly burning CD-R's here? im reading 1x, others say anything faster than 4x won't read properly, still others saying it doesn't matter.

okay, yeah some of that sounds pretty interesting, and the bulk of the expense is dealt with so ill keep an eye on cards. as a strider fan, even if its not as well done, 2 extra levels/cutscenes is something i gotta see

Yep, it lights up! Duo-R is one sexy beast.

Indeed, the region-free on Hu is especially nice. Not an easy mod to do.

I passed on the Yeungling and went for my standard Dogfish sixer. Keepin' it real with beer from the east coast. I'll be spinning Lords of Thunder tonight for a game or two! I need more CD games. Buster Bros probably next!

cheers m'man

lvlzero

Banned
Mo1F1gn.jpg

Anyone see anything they want?

IrishNinja

okay, i gotta ask: what's the definitive thing on properly burning CD-R's here? im reading 1x, others say anything faster than 4x won't read properly, still others saying it doesn't matter.

really wanna know here...if nothing else, it's nice not to have to use the expensive originals!

Fox Mulder

Cdr's are so cheap that you can try to see what works. Some drives and media wont even burn 1x anymore.

IrishNinja

yeah that was the problem i just had, my burner wont do 4x, gonna try another..burned okay but during imgburn's verification it'd kinda hang on track 2 forever

Fox Mulder

yeah that was the problem i just had, my burner wont do 4x, gonna try another..burned okay but during imgburn's verification it'd kinda hang on track 2 forever

I never bother with the imgburn verification, the disc is already burned at that point, it'll either work or it wont.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Someday, I want people to walk into my place and see a shelf like that. And they will say to me, "Friend, this is the answer. Thank you."

Teknoman

I see Rtype 1... Definitely would want that. Never managed to play the original and now its off the VC. I'd want the actual thing anyway though.

EDIT: CDR would be the only way to play Ys IV in english...but then there is the thing about people claiming CDR work the laser harder than normal?

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
One game that I feel every PC-Engine owner should have and that gets overlooked so much is Goloma Speed. I feel like just how NiGHTS is essential for a Saturn owner, this game should have a place in every PC-Engine collection.
On top of it, it's very cheap as well.

Wanted to reply to this month-old post to say thanks for the recommendation. I grabbed it in my last run of PC Engine games and it's a pretty neat game!

Here's a link with some info for anyone curious. You control a multi-segmented snake that needs to collect items/eat food by encircling them. The basic concept seems to draw from...well, Snake, but otherwise I've never played anything like it.

http://users.telenet.be/twin-dreams/PC-Engine/Gomola_Speed.html

meppi

Wanted to reply to this month-old post to say thanks for the recommendation. I grabbed it in my last run of PC Engine games and it's a pretty neat game!

Here's a link with some info for anyone curious. You control a multi-segmented snake that needs to collect items/eat food by encircling them. The basic concept seems to draw from...well, Snake, but otherwise I've never played anything like it.

http://users.telenet.be/twin-dreams/PC-Engine/Gomola_Speed.html

Hehe, glad you like it. :)
That's actually my site you linked to. ;)
Bit embarrassing to look back at it now actually. Started writing the thing on my Dreamcast around 2000, long before I bought my first laptop. Had no experience in writing anything in English so the quality is awful.
But at the time it was just about impossible to find info on most of those games, so I decided to start writing about my favourite games I imported to help spread the word.

The site has been dormant for many years now since I moved on to classic video game magazine preservation instead, and that's taking up the bulk of my spare time these days.

Mo1F1gn.jpg

Anyone see anything they want?

I don't see Sapphire... :3

What's the cheapest price that game can be had?
I don't mind about its conditions as long as the CD works.

They have a new sealed copy (at least I think it is) at the Nakano Broadway for $500, I always stop by to admire it when I go there.
But there's no way I would ever buy it at that price. If it's in the realm of possibility to obtain a copy under $60 or so then it's a deal.
If not I'll forget about it and hope it'll get released for some Virtual Console digital system or just keep dreaming about it.

TChirath

Neo Member
Such a great memory. Truly the first "next-gen" experience for me during the Famicom days. First time playing Motoroader and Dungeon Explorer with 4 other friends at the same time was so memorable.

Other games I loved
- Vigilante
- R-type
- Nectaris
- Susano-O
- PC genjin

Celine

I don't see Sapphire... :3

What's the cheapest price that game can be had?
I don't mind about its conditions as long as the CD works.
Be aware of the bootlegs.
Sapphire has on of the best bootleg I've ever seen.
Check if there is CARE4DATA in the ring insde the CD!

The bootleg in fact is a pressed CD, not a CD-R, this mean it will be read without stressing too much the lens.

As for the prices for the original deal I've seen it on ebay ranging between 250 euro and 350 euro depending on the condition.

Instead for the bootleg it is 50 euro for a complete copy while 10 euro only for the CD (that's what I got, since I don't think the "paper" inside is worth 40 euro).
All prices include the shipping worldwide.

If you are paying much more than 50 euro for a bootleg than you are doing wrong (I've seen bootleg that went for almost 200 euro on ebay).

Bit embarrassing to look back at it now actually. Started writing the thing on my Dreamcast around 2000, long before I bought my first laptop. Had no experience in writing anything in English so the quality is awful.
lol, epic.
I expected nothing less from you :)

IrishNinja

so i was looking through my hu-card want list:

Die Hard
Devil's Crush
Blazing Lazers
Ninja Spirit
Legendary Axe
Air Zonk

most can be found for a reasonable price, but holy crap Zonk is up there, didn't expect that one...looks like the japanese one's a much better bet. that Die Hard game is awesome too, just waiting for a non BIN on ebay to come back up!

But at the time it was just about impossible to find info on most of those games, so I decided to start writing about my favourite games I imported to help spread the word.

The site has been dormant for many years now since I moved on to classic video game magazine preservation instead, and that's taking up the bulk of my spare time these days.

whoah, a classic site made on the DC, and a preservation of gaming mags? you're pretty awesome!

Celine

Die Hard
Devil's Crush
Blazing Lazers
Ninja Spirit
Legendary Axe
Air Zonk

most can be found for a reasonable price, but holy crap Zonk is up there, didn't expect that one...looks like the japanese one's a much better bet. that Die Hard game is awesome too, just waiting for a non BIN on ebay to come back up!
Yeah, usually prices are cheaper for the japanese version.
One notable exception is gunhed/blazing lazers.

I bet it would be pretty easy to kick-start a TG/PCE clone like all the Retrons out there. I would definitely donate to it. Is there anyone working on something like this?

lvlzero

Banned
Just to put this out there, if anyone actually, genuinely wants any of the games in the above image, since the stores just around the corner from me, if you pay item price (youll get receipt with the game) and shipping then ill sort it without any additional charge - i had a look today and boxed copies are going from 105y to 1550y (pc genjin) with average prices being around the 515y mark (about $5) - as a general rule of thumb the ones in the security cases usually cost over 1000y.
R-type was, i believe, 840y per copy.

So to re-itterate, if you want any, you pay shipping and the stores own price and ill send you it without tacking on extra fees, if you want a particular game that isnt shown let me know which (preferably with a picture of the game case / hucard) and i will keep an eye out for it for you.

Teknoman

I was serious about R-type. About how much would the shipping be? Unless you can find the R-type Complete CD.

COVER-R-Type_Complete_CD.jpg

That would probably be preferable. Same if you could check on the price of Gradius II CD.

IrishNinja

So to re-itterate, if you want any, you pay shipping and the stores own price and ill send you it without tacking on extra fees, if you want a particular game that isnt shown let me know which (preferably with a picture of the game case / hucard) and i will keep an eye out for it for you.

nice! $8 something sounds good for R-Type, any chance you'd have at these others for about that much?

Die Hard
Devil's Crush
Blazing Lazers (was just told this was cheaper over here most likely though)
Ninja Spirit
Legendary Axe
Air Zonk
Splatterhouse
Bomberman '93

and how much would presumably less desirable stuff like Sega ports, Fighting Street, Jackie Chan etc be?

lvlzero

Banned
I was serious about R-type. About how much would the shipping be? Unless you can find the R-type Complete CD.

COVER-R-Type_Complete_CD.jpg

That would probably be preferable. Same if you could check on the price of Gradius II CD.

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/charge/list/ems_all_en.html

nice! $8 something sounds good for R-Type, any chance you'd have at these others for about that much?

Die Hard
Devil's Crush
Blazing Lazers (was just told this was cheaper over here most likely though)
Ninja Spirit
Legendary Axe
Air Zonk
Splatterhouse
Bomberman '93

and how much would presumably less desirable stuff like Sega ports, Fighting Street, Jackie Chan etc be?
I will go again shortly and check for those.

IrishNinja

thanks so much lvlzero! our NEC scene here is very dead, obviously moreso for imports. that shipping rate link seems fair & hopefully a few games won't add up to much, ive got paypal & don't mind gifting if need be. i appreciate it man.

edit crap forgot to ask about Vigilante on the cheaper ones haha

Be aware of the bootlegs.
Sapphire has on of the best bootleg I've ever seen.
Check if there is CARE4DATA in the ring insde the CD!

The bootleg in fact is a pressed CD, not a CD-R, this mean it will be read without stressing too much the lens.

As for the prices for the original deal I've seen it on ebay ranging between 250 euro and 350 euro depending on the condition.

Instead for the bootleg it is 50 euro for a complete copy while 10 euro only for the CD (that's what I got, since I don't think the "paper" inside is worth 40 euro).
All prices include the shipping worldwide.

If you are paying much more than 50 euro for a bootleg than you are doing wrong (I've seen bootleg that went for almost 200 euro on ebay).

Hmmm, definitely afraid of getting a bootleg :/
Thanks for the hint, I'll be careful! Even if 250 is defintiely too much, even for a not so good copy...

Die Hard
Devil's Crush
Blazing Lazers
Ninja Spirit
Legendary Axe
Air Zonk

whoah, a classic site made on the DC, and a preservation of gaming mags? you're pretty awesome!

That Devil's Crash I bolded there... it's my favorite game of the system and one of my favorite of all times.
Be sure to play it and enjoy it!

Just to inform you, I'm afraid that the US verison was slightly censored.
Nothing much, just some pentacles transformed into triangles and one other minor detail that can't remember right now.

Bonk

I had the grey Core. It was my first own console and I loved it. Sold it a few years later for a Mega Drive...

My all time favorite was Final Match Tennis and the following one. Still one of the best tennis games...

lvlzero

Banned
Just got back

Die Hard - nope
Devil's Crush - nope
Blazing Lazers - nope
Ninja Spirit - nope
Legendary Axe - nope
Air Zonk - nope
Splatterhouse - nope
Bomberman '93 - nope
Sorry dude, couldnt find any :( - will keep an eye open for them when i visit other stores.

Did find:
R-type 1 - 840y
Far East Of Eden Kabuki Den - 315y - 840y (fair to mint)
Last Armageddon - 840y
Ys IV The Dawn of Ys - 525y
Ys III - 315y
Patlabot Chapter of Griffon - 525y
Super Peach Boy Momotarou II Vol. 45 - 525y
Cyber City ODEO 808 - 525y
Golden Axe - 840y
Jantei Monogatari 2 - 525y

Just to put this out there, if anyone actually, genuinely wants any of the games in the above image, since the stores just around the corner from me, if you pay item price (youll get receipt with the game) and shipping then ill sort it without any additional charge - i had a look today and boxed copies are going from 105y to 1550y (pc genjin) with average prices being around the 515y mark (about $5) - as a general rule of thumb the ones in the security cases usually cost over 1000y.

Thanks lvlzero. I'm defnitely interested. I'll send you a PM with some other things I'm looking for as well.

kinggroin

Banned
Shot in the dark, but does anyone have a spare TG16 for sale?

It's my favorite console during the Snes and Genesis reign and have been dying to get my hands on another one, but can't find any sold locally on craigslist or pawn shops. Not dealing with Ebay either since I've been burned too many times.

meppi

lol, epic.
I expected nothing less from you :)

Haha, thanks! What can I say, I love my classic games. :)
It was such a fun time discovering certain games that practically no one was talking about at the time on western boards, except for a select few.
So what better way to get those game a bit more exposure than to create a site specifically for them. Even though looking at it now, the quality is not anywhere I'd like it to be. Still, with having to write every line of HTML by hand I think all in all it wasn't too bad. ;)

I would love to do some more of that kinda stuff especially with games such as Zangeki no Reginleiv for the Wii and Loopop Cube: Lup * Salad for DS/PSP and PSone out there.
But it takes so much time to put something like that together that I fear it would eat away at the magazine preservation project. So I haven't tried going back to it.
Not to mention that I'm nowhere near confident in my own writing skills to feel good about putting a decent review or feature together.

Maybe one day...

Yes Boss!

I wonder how good the conversion is. I'd probably rather hunt that down than risk unknowingly picking up a bootleg PCE copy.

It is very good. Exactly like all the other PC-Engine/CD/SCD games that show up on the PSN store...just on UMD instead. Same border and emulation and everything. Same options.

IrishNinja

gorgeous, Roko!

Just got back

Sorry dude, couldnt find any :( - will keep an eye open for them when i visit other stores.

aw, i appreciate you lookin anyway! im lookin at a few cheap ones on ebay now, mostly loose but im hoping i can squish them into DVD cases or something, haha

speaking of, few quick questions for you guys:

1) what all is in this lot, besides space harrier & that doremon cat game? are any of these good?

2) how bout this one? cadash & bonk 2 are cool, what are the others?

Haha, thanks! What can I say, I love my classic games. :)
It was such a fun time discovering certain games that practically no one was talking about at the time on western boards, except for a select few.
So what better way to get those game a bit more exposure than to create a site specifically for them. Even though looking at it now, the quality is not anywhere I'd like it to be. Still, with having to write every line of HTML by hand I think all in all it wasn't too bad. ;)

I would love to do some more of that kinda stuff especially with games such as Zangeki no Reginleiv for the Wii and Loopop Cube: Lup * Salad for DS/PSP and PSone out there.
But it takes so much time to put something like that together that I fear it would eat away at the magazine preservation project. So I haven't tried going back to it.
Not to mention that I'm nowhere near confident in my own writing skills to feel good about putting a decent review or feature together.

Maybe one day...

anything i can do to help, lemme know! i used to donate scans to retromag before they lost some stuff when megaupload went down, i really do wish we had more gaming mags archived. totally with you on rare gems too!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It is very good. Exactly like all the other PC-Engine/CD/SCD games that show up on the PSN store...just on UMD instead. Same border and emulation and everything. Same options.

Indeed. I recall hearing good things about the PSP collections as far as accuracy goes. FWIW, though, I've heard that while Sapphire is a pretty incredible-looking game for the PC Engine, the gameplay isn't as good as the price might indicate. A solid shooter, to be sure, but nothing astounding. But again, that's not a firsthand account.

Yes Boss!

I'd say it is worth it to pick up the set. Even if it is $40-50 bucks. At least to give it a try. Unless it is on PC emulation, which might be an option. The other two games on it are like text adventures so not much milage with those.

I wish I had my Sapphire UMD here to try again but it looks like I left it in Cali a few years back. It was neat, if a little cheap because of the large sprites and large hitbox.

I still need to get the Star Soldier Collection...simply because it is a cool UMD to have.

Teknoman

So what do you guys think? I dont have an import mod on my PC engine DUO...so, Hucard R-type for both parts, or CD version?

IrishNinja

1) wataru, bikkuriman (monster world 3, good but basic japanese is required), kato chan ken chan (jj & jeff in US),dragon spirit.

hey, that sounds pretty good by me! i gotta look up which wonder boy that is then since the series is crazy with its names/numbers, but gonna keep an eye on this lot now, thanks man

But I rather play it on a PCE.

Me too, but the price is a bit of an obstacle :/

Nice collection! I am sooo buying that CD if I come across it!
Mind sharing the tracklist or at least which games are featured?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it: http://vgmdb.net/album/2004
I don't know if I'll buy it if there are only CD games' soundtracks, those are already included in the games CD :p
It still looks like it's a pretty rare item!

Good to know, I'll definitely buy a copy if I find one.

IrishNinja

^crap in a hat

hey, is there anywhere good besides ebay to pick up a few titles (even loose)? looking for Devil's Crush, Ninja Spirit, Legendary Axe, Splatterhouse (JP), Air Zonk, Die Hard (JP) and to a lesser extent Vigilante & R-Type,few others...waiting for non buy it now auctions is a bitch, heh

Top Bottom