• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany sales update: PS4 2.8 million, Wii U 690k, XB1 600k

Alo0oy

Banned
Great console that it was, they didn't do everything right with the 360, they had the RROD fiasco. Following that up with TV, TV, TV, NFL and Kinect is spectacularly wrong. I'd be concerned that MS dropping out would lead to another bloated and expensive Sony console, but MS need to do much better if they do go again.

TV TV Kinect is irrelevant to my original point, the 360 didn't have that, it was a gaming console that launched cheaper and more than a year earlier, the PS3 released hilariously more expensive and a year later but still thrashed it in Europe.

Xbox's biggest problem in Europe is that it's not named Playstation, they don't need to be named Playstation for NA, that's why they need to focus their efforts there.

Alo0oy

Banned
While this is very true, they've eroded a lot of mindshare this gen.
The way the video game industry is so globalised, it's almost foolish to perpetually bank on literally just two regions as a console manufacturer.

Absolutely, but the Playstation brand itself is too entrenched in those markets, we saw how brand is more important than anything else last gen with the PS3, dominating NA and nowhere else is a more desirable position than 50/50 marketshare in NA and doing poorly everywhere else.

NHale

No, but the transition of how Xbox sales are recorded in Microsoft's quarterly reports are rather telling of its future.

It'll become a service.

Xbox is doing very well in NA/UK. Not great considering they lost the market share to Playstation but well enough to sustain a very wealthy console business, so they would be crazy not to release another console. However I could definetely see Microsoft going all-in and make a console with features that caters/available only to NA/UK.

Regarding VR, they don't need a 1st party VR device. If VR is actually a sustained market success just partner with someone or even buy them.

They did everything right with the 360, and Europe and Japan still chose the PS3.

I think MS should just focus on regaining their lost marketshare in the US, which has a higher chance of happening than making any dent in Europe.

While PS3 did better than X360 in continental Europe X360 still had respectable numbers in bigger European countries. If I remember right it had sold something like 2.5 million in Germany. That is more than Xbox One and WiiU will do combined this gen.

Microsoft are screwed in the console space. I think this is it for Xbox.

Xbox One sales are declining in Europe (or close to flat lining) when it should be increasing. It's only going to get more brutal for the console at this point.

But 'what about another Xbox' I hear you say? The next generation is all about VR capabilities (although as you know I believe it won't kick off). It will, however, dominate news channels and generate critical hype. Microsoft have quite literally ZERO VR capabilities. They are at least 5 years behind Sony in that regard. They simply won't be able to compete in its current position.

So, Xbox One sales are declining, or at least the gap is continually rising, and they are in a poor position to compete against the inevitable PlayStation 5. Xbox is done, and it'll become some sort of PC service.

I'd like to make a thread about this discussion...

giphy.gif

Moonstone

That's right too.

I really doubt that - but those comparisons never to lead to anything as it is not possible to compare as there are different categories included and different methods used. We tried this in the past and UK was 1 billion larger. But again - those comparisons don't work. They just give a slight hint.

I'd do it that way: Look at GTAV sales in UK. -> UK ist still bigger - they are crazy.

jgf

For the majority, sure. But there are also people who won't buy a Nintendo machine no matter what. MS could get those people. Maybe.

But talking from personal experience, people here are much more likely to build a gaming PC than getting a second console (an Xbox One).

From my personal experience people despise paying a second monthly fee for Xbox live, when they already pay for PS+. Hence WiiU or PC it is. I myself probably would have already bought an xbox one, if not for the monthly fee. Its not that I can't afford it, but somehow I think we germans feel uncomfortable with monthly fees, contracts and rather pay more upfront. E.g. think mobile phones. Over here its not uncommon to buy your phone without a contract and then choose from one of the many cheap telephone providers that allow you to cancel your contract on a monthly basis.

So I think for Xbox One to gain marketshare they have to drop the xbox live fee and at least allow free online play. But that will never happen ;)

Absolutely, but the Playstation brand itself is too entrenched in those markets, we saw how brand is more important than anything else last gen with the PS3, dominating NA and nowhere else is a more desirable position than 50/50 marketshare in NA and doing poorly everywhere else.

Yes I'm in agreement with the entrenched aspect.
It's tough when some parts of EMEA refer to all video games as simply Playstation.

But the 360, even though it lost EU overall made some decent strides in the region.

If they can make a decently priced next Xbox with some good marketing, they could definitely steal more market share next time although it will be tough coming off PS4's amazing success.

Alo0oy

Banned
While PS3 did better than X360 in continental Europe X360 still had respectable numbers in bigger European countries. If I remember right it had sold something like 2.5 million in Germany. That is more than Xbox One and WiiU will do combined this gen.

Germany was actually one of the 360's largest markets, and the PS3 still almost doubled it, it was worse in places like Spain, Italy, and the smaller European markets.

"Respectable" is fair, but was still nowhere near as well as the PS3 and Wii as they dominated the software charts.

The PS3s effects are still present as FIFA did better there than XB1 this year while 360's software died as soon as new gen started.

Duxxy3

Not sure how long I'd last with if I only had a PS4. At this I mostly just play shooters and I hate the DS4 for shooters.

Different society though. Fifa is perfectly find on the DS4.

If we go by Steamspy, Germany has more users, but UK PC users own way more games. It's actually leading over Germany in total games owned.

Is it possible that has something to do with the fact that Germany still has a fairly sizeable market for physical PC releases? Or so I've heard. Would be cool to see some data as to all of this. It's interesting.

Alo0oy

Banned
Is it possible that has something to do with the fact that Germany still has a fairly sizeable market for physical PC releases? Or so I've heard. Would be cool to see some data as to all of this. It's interesting.

Yes, PC software does well physically, I believe it's actually the third biggest platform for physical sales behind PS4 and PS3, and much higher than XB1 and Wii U.

ethomaz

Banned
Finally some 2015 numbers for bone.

US 11.1m
UK < 2.5m
DE 0.6m
JP 0.06m

Total: ~14.2m

Keep giving... we need to found these 18m.

Finally some 2015 numbers for bone.

US 11.1m
UK < 2.5m
DE 0.6m

Total: ~14.1m

Keep giving... we need to found these 18m.

Hmmm.

Considering that Germany is one of XB1's largest EU markets, I find it doubtful install base is at +20m as some claimed in that MAU activation thread.

That's because the German chart is the Playstation chart guest starring other platforms, while in the UK both platforms are successful.

People who don't want to buy a Xbox One will buy a PS4, hence the skewed figures. If it was more even the PS4 would probably be less and Xbox more.

Your logic suggests there's a million people in Germany who want to buy FIFA but are not buying either console for some imaginary reason. Logic suggests PS4 is simply the more popular choice.

If we go by Steamspy, Germany has more users, but UK PC users own way more games. It's actually leading over Germany in total games owned.

Yes, and with less population.

While PC physical is still a thing in Germany, it doesn't dominate the charts at all, you just get a few more titles popping up for a brief time.

EGM1966

Only silver lining I can see is PS4 owners buying a second console because it's cheap enough. (Make it 200€ maybe.) Other than that, no dice. Halo didn't change anything. PS4 is THE console to have.
I think the need for paid online is hurting chances for XB1 as second console TBH.

Last gen I know a lot of 360 owners who got cheap PS3 for exclusives and the fact it was a one and done cost made it easier. This gen I sense people factoring in Live fee too and seeing the proposition as less attractive.

I think XB1 console would need to be really cheap to offset this to generate decent interest as a second console for exclusives. Not to start a lot war but the general perception in PAL that XB1 has few true exclusives doesn't help with interest either.

I think in most of RoW outside US and UK (and Mexico) XB1 is locked into being niche choice vs PS4.

The numbers and ratios from territories like Germany are pretty telling as are the SW charts too.

Everything's pretty much set in stone at this point. Unless VR or something enexpected changes the playing field it's all looking very much forgone as to how things will play out.

Sakura

Yeah, although console-gaming is growing in Germany, the main reason for this is the shrinking market in Japan. I know that it shouldn't surprise me but it still looks strange to see those numbers next to each other.

Eh, keep in mind the PS4 launched in Japan in February 2014, while it launched in Germany in November 2013. It's had 3 Christmas seasons in Germany.
Also the Wii U provides more competition in Japan than in Germany. Wii U+PS4 in Japan = 5.4 million vs 4.1 million for PS4+Wii U+Xbox 1 in Germany.

spekkeh

Banned
Germany was actually one of the 360's largest markets, and the PS3 still almost doubled it, it was worse in places like Spain, Italy, and the smaller European markets.

"Respectable" is fair, but was still nowhere near as well as the PS3 and Wii as they dominated the software charts.

The PS3s effects are still present as FIFA did better there than XB1 this year while 360's software died as soon as new gen started.
According to Wikipedia the ps3-360 split was about 16-14 million across Europe, and the ps3 was also the cheapest Blu-ray player for some time. The UK will have had some part in cranking up the 360 sales, but I doubt ps3 market share was double in many countries (Wii market share definitely was double that of PS3 across the board). So I don't fully believe this entrenched "games = playstation" mindset, at least not among gamers themselves going into the console generation. In order for a 4:1 to happen, a lot of people needed to have switched sides. That mindset is definitely starting to take foothold now though as both Nintendo and MS have made themselves largely irrelevant to Europe. And in case of the latter because MS leading up to the reveal was only interested in American games (Gears, Halo, Forza), then only in American sports and American TV and finally drove the point home that most of Europe was second tier even to Japan to them. They destroyed their brand in the eyes of Europeans and are not going to win them back any time soon.

madmackem

Xbox is doing very well in NA/UK. Not great considering they lost the market share to Playstation but well enough to sustain a very wealthy console business, so they would be crazy not to release another console. However I could definetely see Microsoft going all-in and make a console with features that caters/available only to NA/UK.

Regarding VR, they don't need a 1st party VR device. If VR is actually a sustained market success just partner with someone or even buy them.
I doubt any of the current VR units would work on Xbox given its power.

patapuf

According to Wikipedia the ps3-360 split was about 16-14 million across Europe, and the ps3 was also the cheapest Blu-ray player for some time. The UK will have had some part in cranking up the 360 sales, but I doubt ps3 market share was double in many countries (Wii market share definitely was double that of PS3 across the board). So I don't fully believe this entrenched "games = playstation" mindset, at least not among gamers themselves going into the console generation. In order for a 4:1 to happen, a lot of people needed to have switched sides. That mindset is definitely starting to take foothold now though as both Nintendo and MS have made themselves largely irrelevant to Europe. And in case of the latter because MS leading up to the reveal was only interested in American games (Gears, Halo, Forza), then only in American sports and American TV and finally drove the point home that most of Europe was second tier even to Japan to them. They destroyed their brand in the eyes of Europeans and are not going to win them back any time soon.

As far as i remember Kinect also didn't really work well in a lot of languages.

I've actually seen more XB ads than Ps4 ads in germany, yet everything is about Ps4 round here. When peple think gaming they think Ps4, just like it was with Nintendo back in the days.

Toll, toll, supertoll.
Jetzt bin ich aber kaputt von all den Spaß.

I think the need for paid online is hurting chances for XB1 as second console TBH.
So very much this. people here underestimate this reason because they are extremely devoted gamers. For normal households this is a strong argument against a secondary console.
Let's see if NX has paid online.

Everything's pretty much set in stone at this point. Unless VR or something enexpected changes the playing field it's all looking very much forgone as to how things will play out.
VR will make it even worse.
Psychologically, people don't even need to want or buy VR immediately, but Playstation will be the console who can do it and Xbox the one who can't.
MS has nothing to counter as far as we know. If they don't pull out something really magical, let it be a device or an exclusive killer game (that appeals to US and EU people) there is no change for better in sight.

I've actually seen more XB ads than Ps4 ads in germany, yet everything is about Ps4 round here.
Battlefront was hugely advertised, but they put some money back for Uncharted.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah, although console-gaming is growing in Germany, the main reason for this is the shrinking market in Japan. I know that it shouldn't surprise me but it still looks strange to see those numbers next to each other.
You need to compare Japan numbers with Germany minus November-December (and October) sales.

JP: 2.3m
DE: < 2.2m

Japan is bigger than Germany yet.

Fisico

Quick translation from your link/article:

November & December Sales in germany:
PS4: ~570.000
XBO: ~110.000

- the gap is widening
- PS4 market share 68% in germany
- mentions 52% wordwide market share for the PS4 and Chartz as the source (lol....)

Hum so those numbers are from Chartz in the end lol ?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I doubt any of the current VR units would work on Xbox given its power.

Besides that, MS is working on Hololens. It would make more sense to make Hololens work on Xbox One than create a competing product.

Top Bottom