• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCII: Heart of the Swarm screens [Previews/Vids, Development Fully Started This Year]

Bregor

WoL was, after all, only meant to be the first third of a story line. Though it has many faults, I don't think that we can throw incompleteness in as one of them. The story arcs are meant to be only partially resolved.

-COOLIO- said:
"i am the memory of you as the queen of blades"

this plot is getting mad hokey

For all the shit people pile on those that say Diablo 3's art looks bad (omg you're all just goth kiddys get out of 1998 lolol). Blizzards LORE looks like it falls straight out of a passive aggressive, anti social, 14 year old virgins diary.

Madrical

Banned
So much hate for SC2... WoL is probably the last game I can think of that I sat down and didn't stop playing until it was complete. I was completely addicted. I'm horrible at the game so I can't get into MP since I always lose, but the campaign is one of the most fun SP experiences I've had with an RTS. The story is shit, I'll agree, but the mechanics and general gameplay are perfect. The upgrades to units outside of missions were a huge surprise to me, and I loved that too. Probably helped that I played through SC1 + BW a week earlier, but I still loved it.

This is probably my second most anticipated title announced, behind Dark Souls.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ZombieSupaStar said:
I liked sc2, only at the end are you like WTF was that storywise, nothing felt done, everything felt unfinished.
I felt it started pretty badly too with the Firefly fanfic cutscenes and then Arcturus Mengsk being a Saturday Morning Cartoon villain.

markot

Banned
Bregor said:
WoL was, after all, only meant to be the first third of a story line. Though it has many faults, I don't think that we can throw incompleteness in as one of them. The story arcs are meant to be only partially resolved.
Series can still feel independently complete and whole.

Nirolak said:
I felt it started pretty badly too with the Firefly fanfic cutscenes and then Arcturus Mengsk being a Saturday Morning Cartoon villain.

i was wating for him to go NYAH! and twiddle his mustache near the final battle reveal, :lol. The mock cnn network was the best thing about the single player campaign.

Aaron

Bregor said:
It has no real structure. It's like they loaded up plot points into a shotgun and shot them at the wall. It definitely feels like they came up with the missions first, and struggled to wrap some sort of over-arching plot around it, but it's just not good in any real respect.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ZombieSupaStar said:
i was wating for him to go NYAH! and twiddle his mustache near the final battle reveal, :lol. The mock cnn network was the best thing about the single player campaign.
This was probably the worst part for me:

overmindedp3.png

Tacitus_

ZombieSupaStar said:

With the way things are going, Mengsk will probably have an emotional meltdown because of Kerrigan.

Oh well, at least the missions will be great.

Never has a story I liked so much been ruined so horribly. :(

Kerrigan was so bad ass and then she became just another princess that needed saving.

IceMarker

Too bad there are too many people who hate the story, I for one will continue to enjoy it.

Also, those are some hot HotS screenies.

Bowdz

Nirolak said:

overmindedp3.png

Oh the memories. I really wish developers didn't feel the need to constantly have "twists" in every scenario and could just let character's motivations stay fixed. That one cutscene managed to singlehandedly negate the importance of all of the major events from SC1.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
ZombieSupaStar said:
I liked sc2, only at the end are you like WTF was that storywise, nothing felt done, everything felt unfinished.
that's because it's the first part in a three part story

Aaron

Scrow said:
that's because it's the first part in a three part story
That's a terrible way to tell a three part story. It's much better resolve old issues and introduce new complications than have a half dozen problems that more or less go nowhere.

Bregor

Aaron said:
That's a terrible way to tell a three part story. It's much better resolve old issues and introduce new complications than have a half dozen problems that more or less go nowhere.

They go nowhere because they haven't reached the part of the story arc where they are too be resolved yet.

Deadman

"zerglings now have a build time of less than 1 second"

"zerglings now produce 3 from one egg, with the third being no extra mineral cost"

Should be in mp. I see no problems whatsoever.

AwShucks

I'm hyped for this. I personally enjoyed the single player, at least the missions. The story was mediocre, but I've played games with much worse stories.

Aaron

Bregor said:
They go nowhere because they haven't reached the part of the story arc where they are too be resolved yet.
Which, as I said, is a terrible way to tell a three part story. For example, if they're not going to do anything with Mengsk, don't dwell on him so much. Keep him mostly in the background, or if you're going to include him, do something with him. Have some level of resolution, even if it doesn't eliminate him entirely. You don't need to close off these plot points, but you definitely need to bring them further along. You should bring them to a point of satisfaction to the player. Otherwise they are utterly fucking pointless.

Kunan

Madrical said:
So much hate for SC2... WoL is probably the last game I can think of that I sat down and didn't stop playing until it was complete. I was completely addicted. I'm horrible at the game so I can't get into MP since I always lose, but the campaign is one of the most fun SP experiences I've had with an RTS. The story is shit, I'll agree, but the mechanics and general gameplay are perfect. The upgrades to units outside of missions were a huge surprise to me, and I loved that too. Probably helped that I played through SC1 + BW a week earlier, but I still loved it.

This is probably my second most anticipated title announced, behind Dark Souls.
Most of us agree with you on that. The gameplay was rock solid, just the story was iffy. I couldn't believe how fresh every mission felt, even in succession (the only exception being the mission where you take out the mutalisk cavern space debris).

PuppetSlave said:
Not necessarily. It could just be the variant of that protoss jewel that got you to play protoss mission in SC2 SP.
That would actually be cool! I seem to have jumped the gun a little here.

Nirolak said:
I keep trying so hard to forget what they did to the overmind. Retconned from calculating villain to derp I was just under control, but now I will give you the power to finally defeat Cell!

Tylahedras said:
Never has a story I liked so much been ruined so horribly. :(

Kerrigan was so bad ass and then she became just another princess that needed saving.
Oh god, this too. Couldn't let her continue being a strong, independent woman. Had to make her yet another damsel in distress.

Kunan said:
Oh god, this too. Couldn't let her continue being a strong, independent woman. Had to make her yet another damsel in distress.

But you're Jim Raynor and you have to save her, if she doesn't need saving then you might as well just turn around and go home.

Kunan

Bregor said:
Usually three part movie trilogies have a central enemy/mission that needs to be destroyed/completed, and the the plot setup for the further movies happens constantly in little chunks. WoL had absolutely no closure to any major plot thread, and felt like the first part of a bigger game. You can tell a multi-part story that makes each part hold strong as its own movie.

Take Kill Bill for example. The bride didn't find or kill bill in the first movie, but the plot of the first movie is to find out what happened to her and to take down Lucy Liu. Lucy Liu's character, and all of her minions and her two companions, form a strong core focus for the movie. The ultimate goal of the film is to take her out, not just say Bill's mysterious and have the Bride fight (but not kill) a few of the enemies and then be like "k I'mma find you Bill!" and roll credits. The movie is set up with the traditional plot arc leading to a major climax, and at the end of the movie you feel like it could stand alone. Leaving the theatre, you feel fulfilled because the hero went through the hero's journey, and managed to defeat an ultimate villain and believe in herself.

Only one significant plot point happens in WoL, and I really don't believe that the mysterious artifact -> suddenly Char mission arc form a cohesive narrative. WoL felt like a bullet point list of random plot points being introduced.

MalboroRed said:
But you're Jim Raynor and you have to save her, if she doesn't need saving then you might as well just turn around and go home.
Fair enough

Mairu

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=228212
TL's preview

Campaign is going to be fun, the upgrades for zerglings & banelings sound sweet:

Zergling

Metabolic Boost – Movement speed increased by 33%.
Posthumous Mitosis – A 20% chance of after dying to spawn 2 broodlings.
Rapid Genesis – Zerglings are trained instantly.

Evolution:

Swarmling – Hatches three swarmlings instead of two zerglings, the third comes at no extra cost.
Raptor - +10 HP, and leaps into battle.

Baneling

Viscous Discharge – Upon impact, slows the target by 25%.
Centrifugal Hooks – Movement speed is increased by 25%.
Rupture – Splash radius increased by 25%.

Evolution:

Splitterling – The baneling now splits into smaller explosive units when killed.
Gorgeling – After exploding, the gorgeling returns a sum of minerals and gas on the floor.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Around 20 single player missions? So 2/3rds of WoL? Doesn't sound like they are going to change much of the multiplayer going in because they don't want to fuck everything up.

I hope things turn out well, but everything sounds kind of weak so far.

AppleMIX

Dance In My Blood said:
Around 20 single player missions? So 2/3rds of WoL? Doesn't sound like they are going to change much of the multiplayer going in because they don't want to fuck everything up.

I hope things turn out well, but everything sounds kind of weak so far.

It's a expansion....

zlatko

Banned
That new gameplay trailer was awesome to me. They even had a nod to Tasteless where Kerrigan says, "No one leaves here alive!"

derFeef

I guess I am the only person on the planet who did not like SC2 at all. Loved SC and Broodwars, but SC2 never connected to me. It all felt a bit too self-ironic, cartoony even (not grahpics, I liked that part).

jackdoe

Jim Raynor is probably gonna die. I had him pegged to die in WoL and was surprised when he didn't. The leaked trailer and the recent previews just give me the feeling that he'll bite the big one early in Heart of the Swarm.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
zlatko said:
That new gameplay trailer was awesome to me. They even had a nod to Tasteless where Kerrigan says, "No one leaves here alive!"

I think that was just part of the shitty writ...nvm your explanation sounds much nicer.

Pandaman said:
oh fuck, they played the amnesia card

Yea they fucking did, sigh.

At it seems like their going for a hero-centric campaign too. I don't like that one bit.

jackdoe said:
Jim Raynor is probably gonna die. I had him pegged to die in WoL and was surprised when he didn't. The leaked trailer and the recent previews just give me the feeling that he'll bite the big one early in Heart of the Swarm.

I doubt it. Matt couldn't lead his way out of a paper bag.

Maybe towards the end of SC2 they'll try to off him.

V_Arnold

Whao. I do not care if some of you cry for the story (well, BW's was insanely better anyway), I will ignore that when I play with this, I will evolve the shit out of my zerg, will stare at Kerrigan's boobs and listen to his ingame speech for 400th time again, and again, and again.

It is going to be fun.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
AppleMIX said:
It's a expansion....
I don't really see that as an excuse for an underwhelming amount of content.

I was willing to accept the sacrifice of a multi-race campaign in WoL because I assumed the Zerg would get their chance to shine afterwards. It feels weird for them to have a significantly shorter campaign than the Terran. Zerg continues to be the least popular race online, and giving them the short end of the campaign stick is just another reason I think people just don't get into the race.

Instro

So have they said if these expansion packs will be full price? Particularly considering this Zerg campaign is shorter. I wont be pleased if I have to cough up $60 again.

zlatko

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
I don't really see that as an excuse for an underwhelming amount of content.

I was willing to accept the sacrifice of a multi-race campaign in WoL because I assumed the Zerg would get their chance to shine afterwards. It feels weird for them to have a significantly shorter campaign than the Terran. Zerg continues to be the least popular race online, and giving them the short end of the campaign stick is just another reason I think people just don't get into the race.

Idra is that you? :(

One of the 3 races has to be the least played, and if I remember right from the numbers shown from someone here on Gaf, there isn't a HUGE cutoff for Zerg in bronze-grand masters online. In master/Gmasters there's a fair more amount of Terran and Protoss, but who cares? Play what you like.

I mean shit it's a race of nasty creepy crawlys.... compared to dudebro's in space and Night Elf wannabes in space. What was the least played race in BW and SC1? I bet the trend is the weakest race is the one that gets played the least.

I'm excited to see what this expansion will do for all 3 races in terms of balance. :)

Top Bottom