• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer In-Sync? (Update: Not really)

Satchel

Banned
No. Why would anyone want to fake this. It's just a de-sync.

The closest thing this could be fake to is the replay mode issues littering KI, but even then it'll take a lot of internet magic to fake this on this guy's behalf to make DSP--a professional fighting game player--look like a sore loser. And if it is fake; who /cares/?

You're really asking why? Pick your poison.

demidar

You got all that from this one instance?

I dunno, it's just a hypothesis. I would need to look over waaaaay more matches to come to a solid conclusion, similar to the video in the OP (two screens side-by-side showing what each player sees). At this point, the OP seems like an extreme abnormality. If there was an agreed-upon game state from the two consoles colluding their information and rolling stuff back on a disagreement, there would be no divergence short of communications being completely cut (wouldn't the game just stop then?), but there is a divergence shown (assuming it's not faked).

Lazaro

This is from the Double Helix forums in the Killer Intsinct Bug Reporting Thread.

MULTIPLAYER DESYNCHRONIZATION:
User States: It seems like players in an exhibition match will desynchronize after a certain amount of rematches. The opposing player from either side will appear to not do anything and once the round is finished the lobby will close.
User States: Desynch is causing both players to see a victory screen from they're perspective. Thus, giving the illusion to a player that he won the match.

daman824

Desync issues? Why wouldn't it get through QA?

We're getting some weird over-reactions to this, is it just the OP's mistaken idea that AI's are taking over?
That and people are upset that a fighting game exclusive to the xbox one is getting so much praise and attention. Gotta blow every little issue way out of proportion. "game de-synced once? Huge gamebreaking problem, fightatars, cloud discovered!".

Silky

Banned
Just...wow

How did this manage to get through QA?

Because this is, again, not a frequent occurrence.

OP should REALLY consider changing his post.

This is from the Double Helix forums in the Killer Intsinct Bug Reporting Thread.

User States: It seems like players in an exhibition match will desynchronize after a certain amount of rematches. The opposing player from either side will appear to not do anything and once the round is finished the lobby will close.
User States: Desynch is causing both players to see a victory screen from they're perspective. Thus, giving the illusion to a player that he won the match.

There you go.

killemall

Neo Member
That and people are upset that a fighting game exclusive to the xbox one is getting so much praise and attention. Gotta blow every little issue way out of proportion. "game de-synced once? Huge gamebreaking problem, fightatars, cloud discovered!".

Yeah this is why local Multiplayer is good.

It'd be better if Killer Instinct on replay had an option to show Button inputs visually like in Street Fighters Practice mode.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Presuming deception when your multiplayer match disconnects / errors out is a bit of a stretch, but it is remarkable that people are fairly quick to jump to this conclusion first. This is nothing new in online gaming. OP updated with the relevant info.
Actually, given the reports of offline replays being weird, it's likely that this is more than a freak occurrence even if it isn't exactly common.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I don't think that bug report applies this. Video states they only fought once, no rematch. The opposing player also definitely didn't stand by idly.

Silky

Banned
Yeah this is why local Multiplayer is good.

It'd be better if Killer Instinct on replay had an option to show Button inputs visually like in Street Fighters Practice mode.

It does! It was in the video!

I don't think that bug report applies this. Video states they only fought once, no rematch. The opposing player also definitely didn't stand by idly.

Phil wasn't playing ranked, he was playing exhibition. Exhibition matches apply to this

I'm not trying to be "that person" but I don't think this is the same issue. There are inputs from the other player and they only fought one time.

edit: beaten

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Phil wasn't playing ranked, he was playing exhibition. Exhibition matches apply to this
Okay, so you're saying the game mode is the cause?

It's a user submitted bug report. I'd say whoever first submitted it didn't know the full scope, since it evidently applies to other situations.

CPS2

I'm sure all of the competitive and professional fighting game players will have a huge problem with this, but a lot of people who invested into the console and game probably won't want to hear about it and will either say it's not much of a big deal, or deny it happens often enough to be a problem. The point is, the fact that it even happens at all is a problem in and of itself.
Online isn't taken that seriously by anyone good. And even with the odd desync or stutter, rollback netcode is still a lot better than having variable input lag.

Tsundere

Banned
Presuming deception when your multiplayer match disconnects / errors out is a bit of a stretch, but it is remarkable that people are fairly quick to jump to this conclusion first. This is nothing new in online gaming. OP updated with the relevant info.

Saw that the OP and thread title were modified based on the above post, but the video that was posted represents neither:

1. The opposing player appearing to not do anything.
2. Both players seeing a victory screen.

So... How is that post relevant to the video that was posted in the OP? It doesn't debunk that AI takes over during desynch, and that the match is completely different at times on both ends.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It doesn't debunk that AI takes over during desynch...
This line of thought is like attributing fruit falling from a tree to invisible squirrels instead of random detachments and gravity.

There's absolutely no reason to think "AI" has anything to do with this. It's just something along the lines of the stream of opponent button presses becoming garbled.

Silky

Banned
Okay, so you're saying the game mode is the cause?

It's a user submitted bug report. I'd say whoever first submitted it didn't know the full scope, since it evidently applies to other situations.

Yeah, it's the game mode.

Saw that the OP and thread title were modified based on the above post, but the video that was posted represents neither:

1. The opposing player appearing to not do anything.
2. Both players seeing a victory screen.

So... How is that post relevant to the video that was posted in the OP? It doesn't debunk that AI takes over during desynch, and that the match is completely different at times on both ends.

It's only differen't on both ends because the sadira on DSP's end didn't land her combo, because of the desync. If you look at her movements and the recorded inputs at the top you can clearly see her doing the same moves as /if/ she was in a combo, as well as with Glacius. There is no AI.

It's related to the video that there are confirmed cases of desyncing with the game and that DH is looking for to fix it.

I'm not trying to be "that person" but I don't think this is the same issue. There are inputs from the other player and they only fought one time.

edit: beaten

it's two separate reports. the first reported behavior is what would happen if the other player 'beat' you from their perspective while on your end the game was still going. they would just stand there, at that point, doing nothing.

both players seeing a victory screen is something that can happen with the desync, as locally each player is inputting buttons based on where their game *thinks* the other player is. so both remote players are doing things that don't make sense, like kicking at an opponent further away, or trying to wind up for a power move when the local player is close enough to break the wind up or not in a stunned state etc.

when desync happens, it becomes much more likely that the local player will win, leading to BOTH players winning.

So...did anyone bother capturing any footage to see how often it happens? I mean there's someone on this page claiming it happened to him/her twice in the space of an hour...

Wow, I think I had that exact thing happen to me. My game would freeze up while my buddy would be celebrating his win over voice chat, it happened maybe twice in our hour or so of matches.

Seems like something that could be very easily prove/disproved if two people on here capture their games together, but we're seemingly stuck at a stalemate and arguing about one video that may or may not be legit or entirely accurate...

Tsundere

Banned
But to assume that the game has deceptively smooth net code because AI takes over in most online or multiplayer matches is a fallacious presumption.
If you watch closely there are parts where the inputs are not the same, and where on one side you see satire perform an aerial dash kick while in the other end she just jump kicks in place.

It's fallacious to presume there isn't something going on as well. The only proof that we have now is the video, which shows this. Updating the OP and saying "not really" with a bug report that doesn't even match everything that is happening in the video isn't right either.

T.O.P

Banned
So...did anyone bother capturing any footage to see how often it happens? I mean there's someone on this page claiming it happened to him/her twice in the space of an hour...

Seems like something that could be very easily prove/disproved if two people on here capture their games together, but we're seemingly stuck at a stalemate and arguing about one video that may or may not be legit or entirely accurate...

if i play any fighter online and record the match, and the person i'm playing also records the match, we would expect the footage to be near identical.

so wtf happened here?

there you go, me against perfect legend

http://www.twitch.tv/perfectlegend/b/483791655 (01:16:00)

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=4E06E24AC2DC740B!108

1:1

if people need more i'll record tonight

@but yeah, let's blow stuff out of proportion as usual

posted this the other page

Niitris

The AI doesn't take your fights over. That I can guarantee

There are definitely replay issues though (where matches will play differently from what's remembered), but that's a separate issue.

there you go, me against perfect legend

if people need more i'll record tonight

I think it's worth asking how far are you playing from PL? Even if KI is having de-sync issues, I don't think it's be a problem is the connection is good and/or if you're playing close by your opponent. If the netcode is indeed good, then it'd be less of a problem.

T.O.P

Banned
I think it's worth asking how far are you playing from PL? Even if KI is having de-sync issues, I don't think it's be a problem is the connection is good and/or if you're playing close by your opponent. If the netcode is indeed good, then it'd be less of a problem.

i'm in Italy, he's in Ohio and working flowlessly :)

FyreWulff

H o l y crap! Omg, mind blown. What if all the times I lost in UMVC3 was because of sync issues!! I'll never look at fighting games online the same again (kidding). KI seem to have a huge issue ,wow.

Given the size and relative experience of online modes for the developer, plus the fact that this is a relatively new (lack of a decade or more battle tested code some other games are running on), this was bound to happen. But it's also very fixable.

Z3M0G

Neither of these appear to be what is occuring in the video.

Silky

Banned
If you watch closely there are parts where the inputs are not the same, and where on one side you see satire perform an aerial dash kick while in the other end she just jump kicks in place.

It's fallacious to presume there isn't something going on as well. The only proof that we have now is the video, which shows this. Updating the OP and saying "not really" with a bug report that doesn't even match everything that is happening in the video isn't right either.

Because the motions she required for her airdash kick were only to work with the combo she was doing, which was disrupted by glacius

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Over 350 online matches. Never run into anything like this.

Usually if something weird happens with the netcode/connection, the game drops and returns to menu.

Also, replay mode has a ton of bugs currently. High chance that could be pulling incorrect data, as sometimes I'll watch a replay and rewatch it later to different events happening.

demidar

Over 350 online matches. Never run into anything like this.

Usually if something weird happens with the netcode/connection, the game drops and returns to menu.

Also, replay mode has a ton of bugs currently. High chance that could be pulling incorrect data, as sometimes I'll watch a replay and rewatch it later to different events happening.

That could be the problem. One of the matches in the video is of a replay so that can be a source of inconsistency.

Someone should record a match with the Xbone "Record That" function and compare it with an in-game replay of the same match.

T.O.P

Banned
That could be the problem. One of the matches in the video is of a replay so that can be a source of inconsistency.

Someone should record a match with the Xbone "Record That" function and compare it with an in-game replay of the same match.

I'll give it a try when i get off work

Tsundere

Banned
This bug report demonstrates two issues, the one most relevant being the bottom/second one. If the video had not cut out with sadira frozen in her shadow move, she would've seen a victory screen, just like glacius. It is not exactly what we are seeing, but it does bring to light the desynchronization issue that is at the core of the problem.

The big issue, and what people should worry about, is how common this occurrence actually is.

Because the motions she required for her airdash kick were only to work with the combo she was doing, which was disrupted by glacius

There have been reports of this happening to users on GAF within this very thread. We need more people to record their gameplay and upload it (those that want to actually bring it to light) so that we can have more footage.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House

Also, it would be pretty obvious if something like this was happening. Your opponent would make zero sense, and be flailing around like crazy.

In the post 5th rank of KI online, that doesn't really happen. Everyone's pretty good and each match is played by competent players. I do think this desync thing happens, but it's a bug and not really a big issue. I had this happen to me in SFxT and Skullgirls online before too. It's a by-product of rollback netcode at times.

NeoGash

Good thing this seems to be a very rare issue. It was still funny while it lasted, but I do want to play the game one day so I am glad.

Silky

Banned
There have been reports of this happening to users on GAF within this very thread. We need more people to record their gameplay and upload it (those that want to actually bring it to light) so that we can have more footage.

More footage of the desyncing happening, or not happening?

Top Bottom