• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VII coming to Japanese 3DS' [February 7th, 2013]

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That actually sounds like an ideal RPG for me, I vastly prefer variation via puzzles, non-stupid sidequests and exploration over the modern "go from A to B and fight 2372813 enemies on your way" approach. That doesn't mean I'm against battles in RPGs, I just don't like if they are all you have to do despite walking around.

There's still a lot of random battles and going from a to b, it's just usually a lot more interesting than just getting to a new area with new palette swaps.

That actually sounds like an ideal RPG for me, I vastly prefer variation via puzzles, non-stupid sidequests and exploration over the modern "go from A to B and fight 2372813 enemies on your way" approach. That doesn't mean I'm against battles in RPGs, I just don't like if they are all you have to do despite walking around.

Still plenty of time to fight, though. This game is ridiculously long, even compared to other Dragon Quest games.

bisonyes.gif

OH HAPPY DAYYYYYYYYYYY!!! \o/

EDIT:
Wait, does that mean that DQ8 will sooner or later come to 3DS, too?!
I...this...but...My mind isn't even able to comprehend this...

I'm glad to see this. DQ VII is a game I've been very curious to try for a long time, as descriptions of it sound enticing to me, and if this is a nice-looking full 3D remake, that could be the ideal way to play. It's too bad we have to be worried about its localization chances in the present climate...

andymcc

Banned
DQIV
JP November 22, 2007
NA September 16, 2008

DQV
JP July 17, 2008
NA February 17, 2009

DQVI
JP January 28, 2010
NA February 14, 2011

DQVII
JP February 2013
NA Q4 2013?

hopefully it's sometime next summer because, lord knows, nintendo consoles need games around that time.

Aeana

I'm really impressed that it seems to be a full remake. I never thought it would happen due to how much content the game has. And also because DQ6 never got a real remake.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
There's still a lot of random battles and going from a to b, it's just usually a lot more interesting than just getting to a new area with new palette swaps.

Yeah, it's not a problem for me, I actually like standard RPG gameplay (if the fighting system is nice), as long as it doesn't feel like a chore and has some interesting other gameplay bits in between (and puzzles being especially welcome considering I'm a huge fan of Zelda-like Adventure games). I've played the original Pokémon games for around 1500 hours back in the day and completing Sonic Adventure 2 took me about 180 hours on my first run, so I can stand excessive game length - even with some really weak parts in between.

Johnas

I'm really impressed that it seems to be a full remake. I never thought it would happen due to how much content the game has. And also because DQ6 never got a real remake.

Any thoughts on that little purple guy between Hero and Kiefer? I don't remember him, but it's been a while since I've played it.

Aeana

Any thoughts on that little purple guy between Hero and Kiefer? I don't remember him, but it's been a while since I've played it.
He's new. The info blurb isn't particularly informative either. We'll just have to wait and see.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

I guess they realized it would be a stretch to call it a remake if it was running on the exact same engine. I wish DQ6 had gotten more of an enhanced port though, those sprite environments are beautiful.

Eusis

I hope they keep battles as snappy as DQIV-VI DS, I'd hate the full 3D shift to slow it down, the game's already really long with fast paced combat.

... And I hope it comes over here period. :/

Kenai

Is this generally considered to be one of the better games in the series?

My only exposure to Dragon Quest is Dragon Quest XI on the DS, which I loved. I'd be interested in picking this up if it ever gets localized.

9 is kind of different from other DQs in the way the story is presented, but it's similar in a lot of ways too. There's far more character given to your party members like in 4, 5, and 6 (try these if you can, I recommend 5 the most).

I did like it quite a bit, but never finished it and have my fair share of complaints about it. The story pacing was fairly bad to me, in general terms (more sidequest-y things than in any RPG I have played, even if it ended up "making sense"), and this was the only DQ where I felt the grind was legitimately terrible due to how the class system/character introductions worked
Maribel randomly leaving for a while pissed me off quite a bit when I was trying to make her a Sage for example. It felt like it took me freaking FOREVER to make her an established healer for my group so suddenly having to do that AGAIN with another character to stand a chance against some of the following bosses was bullsh*t to me

If they remake the Class system to make the Job grind feel less punishing, the majority of my complaints with the game will be gone, however, and even then I enjoyed it very much.

Johnas

I hope they keep battles as snappy as DQIV-VI DS, I'd hate the full 3D shift to slow it down, the game's already really long with fast paced combat.

... And I hope it comes over here period. :/

I don't think battle speed will be an issue, given it's portable. The other portable DQs are sleek and streamlined compared to their original installments.

Maribel randomly leaving for a while pissed me off quite a bit when I was trying to make her a Sage for example. It felt like it took me freaking FOREVER to make her an established healer for my group so suddenly having to do that AGAIN with another character to stand a chance against some of the following bosses was bullsh*t to me

Yes, that was especially dumb.

Aeana

Ohh...you got a European 3DS...with that avatar. At least DQ7 will be guaranteed to come out in Europe if they release it in the US.
Honestly, it'd be more likely to come out in Europe than the US anyway, since the series tends to do better there. I would not be shocked if it ended up being one of those Europe-only deals.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait XD They better localise this...

I played through about 100 hours and only did about 5/8 of the original. I really liked how (like some users have mentioned) exploration works in this game. You start off on the only remaining island in the world and slowly unlocks more islands and continents as you find these mysterious tablets. Each place offers a new adventure and a new mystery/problem to solve. It was always rather exciting. The pacing and grind eventually got to me thoigh and I never completed the game. I hope the large amount of text and content doesn't stop SE from translating this :(

I think that was roughly where I stopped...I got tired of grinding for job levels.

Aeana

People like to rag on the pacing of DQ7, but the pacing isn't the problem at all. The game isn't slow. The problem is that it has enough content for 2+ games, so it feels like it drags on because of that. But if you're looking at each individual scenario, they go by at a fairly brisk pace.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
People like to rag on the pacing of DQ7, but the pacing isn't the problem at all. The game isn't slow. The problem is that it has enough content for 2+ games, so it feels like it drags on because of that. But if you're looking at each individual scenario, they go by at a fairly brisk pace.

I disagree slightly on this; the beginning up until the first battle is poorly paced and it takes far too long to unlock class changing. Besides that though? I basically agree.

Also it has enough content for 3 games.

luca1980

Banned
Faster battles please.
Anyway 2013 vita dead in Japan with this....unless ff7 remake comes to vita IMHO

Back it: IMHO 7 is the best dq content wise. I stopped replaying it due to backtracking but a remake in the same spirit of the other ds remakes would fix all the faults of original (long battles and backtracking). Just do it Se and I will buy my last dq (since after 7 the franchise went downhill content wise)

Sogood.gif

Here's the part where I cross my fingers and hope it makes it stateside. if you give me the opportunity, I'll give you my money.

Top Bottom