• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Scans of Halo 3 PICS OF THE FORGE IN ACTION!

Eric WK

I have an inkling that online co-op is in (or, rather, will be in). It definitely seems like it will be a surprise or a late announcement leading up to launch. Not that Frankie's being disengenuous by not telling us or anything. I can't believe the amount of information we've received thus far so it's expected that something that big would be held close to the vest.

And If I'm wrong I won't be too bent out of shape considering the insane feature set we're already getting, but online co-op's inclusion would just be icing. Sweet, sweet icing.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Eric WK said:
And If I'm wrong I won't be too bent out of shape considering the insane feature set we're already getting, but online co-op's inclusion would just be icing. Sweet, sweet icing.

-especially- if it's 4 player... i don't think i'll be able to stop playing the game

TDG

Banned
PetriP-TNT said:
"everything we are seeing here we have seen previously in a) other Halos b) scifimovies c) other FPSs"
This post offers a unique opinion that was clearly well-thought out. Excellent use of quotation marks and a new perspective towards random magazine scans make this post a timeless treasure for trolls of all ages.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
FFChris said:
Well, no, not really. 'Generic' is not really a word you would associate with Halo.

Actually Halo is one of the first games that pops to mind when seeing the word.

That said, I like these screens. The forest and desert areas make Halo 3 look more colourful and far more visually interesting than its predecessors.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The Elephant better be in campaign. That vehicle looks awesome. Also, hornet in MP would be so sweet.

NJ Shlice

Phatcorns said:
Here's my best!

"The You-can-do-anything Forge"

"In the new Forge mode, during battle you can freely place things like weapons and vehicles. And you can share your re-arranged maps onto xbox live. In addition to being able to use this as a map editor by yourself, if you start Forge with many people will there be various other ways of playing?"

"Being able to edit the map during battle is the main attraction. Suddenly vehicles can start raining from the sky and interfere with the battle."

"You can interfere with the battle from god's point of view"

Stinkles, is Famitsu wrong about sharing re-arranged maps online?

Phatcorns

For some reason my posts got put at the end of the page the last two times, so just wanted to make sure everyone saw these.

Ok, I really don't want to add even more fire to the whole 4 player co-op thing without solid proof, but I just noticed that the last sentence in that box says this "In addition to having a maximum of 16 players for versus, a multitude of players can enjoy co-op mode over xbox live"

What is so weird about this is that they mention the exact number that can be played in versus, but just say "multitude of people" for co-op mode.

SO, take this with a grain of salt of course. My translation IS accurate, BUT I do not know all of the subtle nuances of the language. So the word in question, fukusuu ninzuu could just be the same as "a couple" in English. Although I've never heard it used that way.

AND

Originally Posted by BuzzJive:
Thread does not deliver. I want translation of the FORGE pics. What's going on in there?

Here's my best!

"In the new Forge mode, during battle you can freely place things like weapons and vehicles. And you can share your re-arranged maps onto xbox live. In addition to being able to use this as a map editor by yourself, if you start Forge with many people will there be various other ways of playing?"

"Being able to edit the map during battle is the main attraction. Suddenly vehicles can start raining from the sky and interfere with the battle."

BuzzJive

Phatcorns said:
Here's my best!

Thread delivers now. Thanks much :)

The bare bones customization itself is a bit disappointing, since the original Marathon Forge was really awesome. But with enough props, you can certainly make some interesting new scenarios. I'm sure some people will come up with some great ideas. I still hope there's a special playlist for sampling those ideas, though I'm sure we'll get tired of seeing genetalia built out of random Halo props.

Also - Editing during battle sounds pretty cool.

3rdman

Phatcorns said:
Here's my best!

Quoted for page 3 discussion...

Thanks for the translation! God mode on the host's server??? Is there the option for dedicated 360 servers?

tombur

Phatcorns said:
translated stuff

Keep going man, great job!

Thanks to the low-res nature of these screens it's hard to make out, but is there a shield health bar on the single forge screen with the monitor's HUD, or is it just my imagination?

Xekrn

Banned
Phatcorns said:
Just so you guys know, this article says THAT ONLINE CO-OP IS IN.

I know what Bungie has said in their last weekly update, but according to this article in the green box that says "...CHECK!" they say that all game modes will be compatible with Xbox Live. The caption next to the picture says "Co-op mode is also supported online"
Stinkles said:
If it says that, it is mistaken, since we told Famitsu nothing of the kind. They, like EGM, played System Link. Perhaps that is what they are discussing.
Stinkles said:
No comment. I will correct inaccuracies.

confirmed

Gattsu25

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
c64226bc86.jpg
That picture is especially troubling :lol :lol

tombur

Shake Appeal said:
it would make it unconfirmed but it would also make no online co-op unconfirmed, so really we are back where we started.

He's a smart man, that Stinkles.

While we're speculating and dreaming, I wonder if there are any 'blank canvas' maps, where its just a plain flat floor, and you can create whatever you want on it in Forge. It would be perfect for creating mongoose racing tracks :lol

Thinking about it, wouldn't Sandtrap take up that role?

Looks impressive. The multiplayer looks so much different then what was in H2 (which is a good thing). There's so many extras and new things. It makes me happy, but I don't know how much I'll end up playing it. H2 killed my Halo hype.

NJ Shlice

tombur said:
He's a smart man, that Stinkles.

While we're speculating and dreaming, I wonder if there are any 'blank canvas' maps, where its just a plain flat floor, and you can create whatever you want on it in Forge. It would be perfect for creating mongoose racing tracks :lol

Thinking about it, wouldn't Sandtrap take up that role?

I dont think you'd need a blank Sandtrap to build a sweet race track. I think it is open enough. put some Fusion Cores underneath some jumps... if you come up short *WAH-BUSHBUSH-BAAAM-VAVOOOM*

tombur said:
While we're speculating and dreaming, I wonder if there are any 'blank canvas' maps, where its just a plain flat floor, and you can create whatever you want on it in Forge.
Yeah, it does sort of call for that doesn't it? Course then its treading onto map editor territory which is not what Forge seems to be.

NJ Shlice

Since Bungie likes to improve elevation techniques. On Guardian, I wonder what kind of lift, if any, will get you from botttom of blue to top blue. On the new screenshots I see where the resemblance of the middle of the level looks like Lockout's "above glass" but other than that it's hard to see the similarities.

Geez, just tell us that online co-op is in already. It ships in less than two months, why does Bungie hide everything till the last moment? I think most people expect(DEMAND) online co-op after playing Gears of War. Bungie is going to get most customers money anyway, just tell us!

Would anyone seriously cancel their pre-order if Frankie posted no online co-op? I wouldn't, but it would seriously piss me the **** off.

Eric WK

NJ x Falkor said:
Since Bungie likes to improve elevation techniques. On Guardian, I wonder what kind of lift, if any, will get you from botttom of blue to top blue. On the new screenshots I see where the resemblance of the middle of the level looks like Lockout's "above glass" but other than that it's hard to see the similarities.

I don't think it's an exact remake. From what I can see, I almost get a Lockout meets Ascension feel. I'm not sure what that means exactly, but the blue thing (bottom center of screenshot) looks a lot like the lift on Ascension in terms of geometry.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i LOVE the shot on the first page in the upper right. i know its similar to a scene in the trailer, but its GORGEOUS. i love the lighting and cant wait to tear through the game mobbing in an army of mongeese

NJ Shlice

Eric WK said:
I don't think it's an exact remake. From what I can see, I almost get a Lockout meets Ascension feel. I'm not sure what that means exactly, but the blue thing (bottom center of screenshot) looks a lot like the lift on Ascension in terms of geometry.

AAAHHHH. And in the left screenshot the Yellow guy has definitely just jumped on that blue thing and it shoots you up in the air over to the other tower. GENIOUS!!

Eric WK

NJ x Falkor said:
AAAHHHH. And in the left screenshot the Yellow guy has definitely just jumped on that blue thing and it shoots you up in the air over to the other tower. GENIOUS!!

I have no idea how I didn't realize that other screen was Guardian, as well, but you're right. The map looks fantastic - very intricate with the Forerunner structure on the right and what appears like a system of caves on the left.

NJ Shlice

Son of Godzilla said:
The EGM screens made it seem that there's a 2nd floor to your sniper building. I think. Maybe.

there was always a second floor to the sniper building. but in the egm scan i think the pic in question is of the BR tower, they could have added a lot to the top floor of the tower

thekad

Banned
Really, Lockout was perfect. Maybe you add another way to get to BR tower, but other than that just up the graphics, add some foliage, and ship it with the game. Why completely ravage it like they did?

EGM said it was Lockout, but in the jungle. Didn't they?

Chiggs

Halo 3 may not have the best graphics, but the scale of the game is jaw-dropping. Some of the battles are going to be insane.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
thekad said:
Really, Lockout was perfect. Maybe you add another way to get to BR tower, but other than that just up the graphics, add some foliage, and ship it with the game. Why completely ravage it like they did?

EGM said it was Lockout, but in the jungle. Didn't they?

It is not Lockout. Not one single milimeter. But please continue to freak out.

NJ Shlice

Stinkles said:
It is not Lockout. Not one single milimeter. But please continue to freak out.

It is the spiritual successor to Lockout though.

And valhalla is the spiritual successor to Blood Gulch. Which basically means they are the same thing.

Stop with your mind antics.

Forge looks intersting, although I don't see why those options aren't just included in the Custom games menu, aside from the added bonus of being able to tweak while people play.

Top Bottom