• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy Who Isn't Very Nice: Families of Sandy Hook victims can "Go to hell"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gun enthusiasts never fail to look like nut jobs it seems. And i'm a gun enthusiast. :(

Most gun owners are certainly good normal people. But there is definitely a paranoid fringe element. And to a small degree, perhaps that paranoid fringe element has reason to worry about background checks because maybe they won't pass them due to criminal records or documented mental health issues.

ironcreed

Banned
Yes, to hell with all of those innocent children who lost their lives that had not even really begun yet. This guy getting to sit in the middle of his gun room naked while stroking the stocks and licking the barrels every night is clearly more important.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people?

To not acknowledge they are being used as emotional pawns is disingenuous, and I'm a conservative that believes room exists for improvements to the background check system.'

To call them emotional pawns is disingenuous. That implies they are being controlled. They are doing this of their own free will. There are also victim family members who don't agree with gun control and they are not being paraded around because no one uses them as 'pawns'.

Are they trying to invoke empathy in order to prevent the situation from occurring again? Yes, of course. That is how every law is created. It is no different than the NRA parading good ordinary gun owners as people who's "rights are being infringed" if such laws pass. Are they pawns?

Oppo

here's the thing I'd like to understand better:

what do hardcore gun supporters like this guy think should be done? does he think anything should be done?

when they see those stats that put the US way, way higher than any other western nation on earth for gun deaths, do they just write it off as bad data? do they think the situation is ok?

or do they simply not consider it?

if I were an american democrat, I'd be framing questions about gun control like that: what do you think we should do? if the answer is literally "nothing", then there is simply no defence. if it's stuff like "violent media" or "mental health", shoot that down with the stats from all the other countries, and ask again.

i constantly read about why some americans think the gun laws are sacrosanct but i very, very rarely ever see even the barest hint of sentiment that anything practical should be done, at all.

Cheska

I can't even imagine being one of those poor parents who lost their child and having to hear shit like this from someone who's upset over an inanimate object.

diffusionx

Gold Member
i constantly read about why some americans think the gun laws are sacrosanct but i very, very rarely ever see even the barest hint of sentiment that anything practical should be done, at all.

Sorry but there is an answer for this, one they have said over and over. They think that everybody should have a gun.

I personally wouldn't want to live in a society where everybody is walking around strapped but they would.

jmdajr

Sorry but there is an answer for this, one they have said over and over. They think that everybody should have a gun.

I personally wouldn't want to live in a society where everybody is walking around strapped but they would.

It's fucking crazy man. Just thinking about the amount of irresponsible people out there.
It's scary.

MooseKing

Banned
I just don't understand why the American government is more concerned with locking up people for smoking some weed, than cracking down on illegal firearms.

Life in prison if you are caught with an illegal gun

Life in prison if you are caught distributing firearms illegally.

It's true, but it shouldn't surprise anyone that the victims are being used politics. It is politics.

Still, that dude is being an insensitive asshole and should trip down a set of stairs. What an asshole. The audacity it would take to insult victims of that tragedy is astounding, I'd love to see him do it to their faces and then, in turn, get beaten the shit out of. Fuckin' douche.

Dhx

They are not "emotional pawns". They are victims of policies enacted by politicians suckling at the teat of lobbyists.

These two statements are not mutually exclusive.

Are parents of children born with birth defects due to industrial dumping/waste "emotional pawns" when they testify for more environmental protections?

Yes.

This shit illustrates the conservative mindset. It doesn't matter how government policies affect actual people; it only matters how they affects their nebulous "freedoms" and corporations' bottom-lines.

What "shit" are you referring to exactly? It certainly cannot pertain to my statements.

To call them emotional pawns is disingenuous. That implies they are being controlled. They are doing this of their own free will. There are also victim family members who don't agree with gun control and they are not being paraded around because no one uses them as 'pawns'.

The implication of control is your own connotation. I am stating that they are being used of their own free will.

Are they trying to invoke empathy in order to prevent the situation from occurring again? Yes, of course.

This is exactly what I meant with the original statement. The victims are used to evoke powerful emotion. I do not subscribe to the use of emotion to craft and push legislation.

That is how every law is created.

That is simply not the case. I prefer expert testimony and quantitative data, myself.

It is no different than the NRA parading good ordinary gun owners as people who's "rights are being infringed" if such laws pass. Are they pawns?

Yes.

Strike

Attention Gun Rights Activists and Supporters: It would be best to distance yourself from people like this. They dont help your case at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom