• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-Files S11 premieres January 3, 2018

t-storm

Mulder and Scully's adventures resume Wednesday, Jan. 3 at 8 p.m.

The new X-Files season will be 10 episodes and if we want to be technical about it Fox is not calling the next round ”season 11." Rather Fox is dubbing it the ”second chapter of The X-Files event series" for some reason. They avoided calling the six episodes aired in 2016 ”season 10" either.

So The X-Files is just an ongoing ”event" with ”chapters" now — until it's not and concludes once and for all... which could be next year too as star Gillian Anderson has hinted that she might be quitting the aliens-and-flashlights gig (despite creator Chris Carter's plan to end the upcoming episodes on another cliffhanger).

X-Files on Wednesdays?

Another cliffhanger?????

Source

Trailer from October for those who missed it

t-storm

They’re all supposed to be monster of the week episodes, I believe, except the premiere and the finale.

I think the premiere is supposed to pick up exactly where we left off on the bridge.

Am I the only one that thinks the X-files works best as a sort of anthology series?

I love the one off stories and absolutely hate the central plot of aliens, shadow government, and missing children.

I've been really into the X-files recently and I got one of the audiobooks and it is so bad because it focuses in on that central plot of the series and takes itself way too seriously and it's just embarrassing.

I haven't watched any of the new seasons because I assume they've gone in this direction.

awcarew

They're all supposed to be monster of the week episodes, I believe, except the premiere and the finale.

I think the premiere is supposed to pick up exactly where we left off on the bridge.

Correct. Granted I think David Duchovny said in a recent interview that the MOTWs have some sort of central "thread" w/e that means. Granted, based on Season 10 who the heck knows. The last Revivals two "mythology" episodes had literally nothing to do with alien colonization. And the only episode that actually referenced the old mythology from the original series was Founder's Mutation, which was technically a MOTW, lol.

lutheran

Last season was poor, too much exposition and poorly written episodes. The whole CSM thing needed to be explained better, how did he make it out of that cave alive. Also for Mulder to once again act like a non-believer with all he has seen in his life, being on a space ship and dying and coming back to life etc. I loved the mythology episodes for most of the series until I realized they had no solid end game. The series finale was a joke, ghosts of former friends unlocking doors...Just lame. I pray they did the right thing and really tightened up the writing.

RPGCrazied

Great. Big X-Files fan. Been trying to rewatch the older series and in season 5, holy shit is there a ton of episodes in this show.

t-storm

X-Files is back tomorrow!

Here's a new article with some details from Chris Carter.

The X-Files creator: Show's mythology to go a new direction

What excites you about this season?

Chris Carter: We’ve added some elements. We’ve added some popcorn to it. We’re taking the show’s mythology to a new place, which we needed to do. We’ve added humor in more than one place. There’s a darker comedy, one [writer] Darren Morgan idiosyncratic episode, a couple of excellent [writer] Glen Morgan episodes. We’ve basically put the band back together with some notable additions. We also have three credited women writers, two women directors — like everyone else we’re taking a more diverse approach.

The show often uses footage of current American leadership, and this year there’s footage of President Trump and his cabinet. How does the regime change impact things?

This show has been through Clinton, Bush, Obama and now the Trump administration. If you look at it politically, socially, philosophically and technologically, I would say we’ve had such tonal shifts Americarica that The X-Files almost seems like it’s perfectly suited to address these moments. The X-Files has always been concerned with conspiracies and approached them in an interesting way. Certainly, the post-Watergate years were at the forefront of our minds [at the start of the show], and our disbelief and suspicion of leadership. Then there was a post-9/11 absolute faith in our government to do the right thing, then through Obama administration — when all of a suddenly politics and life, in general, became fractured and fractionalized. Now we got a president who is more interested in conspiracies than the truth. We’ve come 180 degrees. We’re now dealing in a world where The X-Files is akin to it than it’s akin to the search for “the truth is out there.”

Getting into the specific stories being told, what’s the status of Mulder and Scully’s on-again, off-again romance this season?

They have a solid if contentious working relationship. I think the personal relationship takes interesting steps in a direction we didn’t exactly take last time out

There’s a larger than expected focus on their son William this season…

I think hardcore fans are anxious to see this character grown up 17 years later and we’ve delivered on that in very interesting and satisfying and horrifying ways.

There’s also a stand-alone episode devoted to the backstory of Walter Skinner, right?

Episode 6. We’ve really never explored the character of Walter Skinner. We learn more about Skinner and more about his connections to Mulder and Scully and how he’s been a loyal advocate of theirs at his own expense. We learn about his young life and the X-Files moment he experienced as a much younger man.

What else is unique about this year?

This season deals with the zeitgeist in interesting ways. We push into technology in a futuristic way. The show has never been a futuristic show — it takes place in the here and now. While it’s a science-fiction show, I think of it more as a science show. And we push into technology in new ways.

Gillian Anderson has said this might be her last season. You’ve hinted it might end on a cliffhanger once again. Are you concerned about the show possibly ending with things still unresolved?

I always end it as if it were the last one. It’s become a thing you come to anticipate with this show with “The Erlenmeyer Flask” in season 1 — we closed The X-Files and killed off a beloved character [Deep Throat played by Jerry Hardin]. Things are often sacrificed in the finale. That’s the interesting thing for me. There’s a vertical corner in the final that I think will get people’s attention…

Source

Underwhelming series premiere to say the least... Waaaaaaaaaayyyy too much self narration going on.

Although reviewers have said that the premiere is the weakest of the first half that of the season they've seen and the rest are stand alone episodes. Reviewers have been pretty positive about the stand alone's and once again Darin Morgan's episode is supposedly the standout of the bunch. So I'm still looking forward to those.

Yeah the cop out of last season was pretty lame :/

I also wasn't a fan of the whole reveal that
Cancer man drugged and raped Scully. That he's William's father instead of Mulder.

S11E1 Spoilers

I had a bit of a bad reaction to the whole "No. I am William's father" thing last night, but Carter explained that CSM basically just did the same pregnancy experiment with her which were done with other women in the series, and that CSM is just the figurative father, not biological father.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/01/03/x-files-creator-season-11-premiere-interview/

Still kind of a dumb/weird/creepy decision, considering En Ami was supposed to humanize CSM, but I feel like this was actually planned originally. The timeline fits, CSM's actions in that episode make sense in this light, etc.

The big problem with the reveal is the horrible way it was done in a shit epsiode/car commercial. Who though having Bladerunner Decker-esque internal monologues expositioning every other scene was a good idea?

The alien abduction meme has always had a component of sex and sexual assault - the contactee movement had the Nordic-type "sexy" aliens, the Streiber-type abduction stories had probings, the Hill-type abductions had physical exams with interest in reproductive capabilities, the Bud Hopkins and David Jacobs stories had forced gamete extraction and forced or "stolen" pregnancies (which stemmed from Hopkins' amateur hypnosis techniques and Jacobs being a creep). Carter drew inspiration from that meme, so it is not really surprising that this plot line exists.

t-storm

Haley Joel Osment sure is... looking different again. He'll be in this season's of the X-Files, specifically the Agent Skinner focused episode:

Top Bottom