• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Toth

Final Fantasy XV Fan Event at Gamescom

DEe2MEbVwAAhJGd.jpg:large

Really excited to see what Tabby and BD2 have in store for us. ;)

So just in case we forgot. This translates to 2pm est and 11am pst I believe on Friday.

MilkBeard

Saw a post by Nova Crystallis, apparently the PC version is being announced. I can't grab the link cuz I'm on shitty wifi. But the graphic used for the PC version looks cool as hell.

Ok I think I'm ready to jump back into this game. I was a devout follower of this game's development since the very beginning and remained a true believer even through the first demo. As soon as the game launched, though, it didnt draw me in as I hope it would. I still feel so guilty about it, especially since I got the collector's edition and even the godamn season pass.

One of the reasons I couldn't get into it was the battle mechanics. Even back on the first threads I asked if anyone had a good video explaining everything from advanced techniques to exploits. Game's been out for almost a year, so are there any good videos related to this? I want to jump into the game kicking ass and not trudge through it as I felt when I started. If anyone has any tips itt please let me know, especially on things you wish you knew at the beginning.

So far what I've done in the game was finish the first chapter--which I plan to redo-- and did everything during that last timed event festival thing. Where are we at with the dlcs? I know there was an episode for one of the characters, and there's a multiplayer game coming up. Is it worth doing one of these episodes before staring the main game?

Koozek

Ok I think I'm ready to jump back into this game. I was a devout follower of this game's development since the very beginning and remained a true believer even through the first demo. As soon as the game launched, though, it didnt draw me in as I hope it would. I still feel so guilty about it, especially since I got the collector's edition and even the godamn season pass.

One of the reasons I couldn't get into it was the battle mechanics. Even back on the first threads I asked if anyone had a good video explaining everything from advanced techniques to exploits. Game's been out for almost a year, so are there any good videos related to this? I want to jump into the game kicking ass and not trudge through it as I felt when I started. If anyone has any tips itt please let me know, especially on things you wish you knew at the beginning.

So far what I've done in the game was finish the first chapter--which I plan to redo-- and did everything during that last timed event festival thing. Where are we at with the dlcs? I know there was an episode for one of the characters, and there's a multiplayer game coming up. Is it worth doing one of these episodes before staring the main game?
The Character Episode DLCs should be played after the game. You'll know instantly where their place in the main story is when you play the game. Multiplayer DLC kinda spoilers later parts of the story too because of its setting and premise.

Regarding combat, someone asked about tips and these were some of the answers.
Most important thing is to pay attention to the weaknesses of the enemies, if they're weak to a certain weapon or element then use those, if you have wait mode activiated you just need to let go of the buttons for a second and it will let you scan them.

You will want to experiment with using the analog stick while attacking, the weapons have different attacks and animations depending on which way you are pressing the analog stick, figuring out what noctis does with different inputs makes a huge difference. Later on you will unlock unlimited air dash where he can stay in the air for a while and thats going to make a big difference to. You can also get more familiar with the team abilities, if you see a big attack coming you can basically negate it by going into a long team ability animation, there are certain abilities where your guys go attack for 10+ seconds and dont take any damage.

As you correctly pointed out, this isnt an action game, dont think about it like DMC or God of War. Its about positioning, breaking limbs, using the correct weapons, etc.

HOLD the Guard button when the prompt comes up before an enemy attacks, don't just press it quickly. Generally always hold the Guard button when not attacking (or when using Control Type B/C, just keep holding L1/L2 even while attacking and it will pretty much always register as a successful dodge when a prompt comes up). And warp in and out a lot to get out of chaotic situations and breath a bit. Warping is fun! Turn off the option that makes the camera cut to a character when they're using items or dying. It's super annoying, especially in battles where the dumb AI is getting them killed and enemies wipe the whole party out instantly. Though I guess this is only an issue with higher-level monster hunts, the main story seems pretty easy (I wouldn't know because I was highly over-leveled from Chapter 7 on :D).

Don't worry if you feel like you don't have control over battles. This is just the way the combat is unfortunately. Enemies don't have well-readable attack patterns and animations. Often attacks come out of nowhere and one-shot your party and it's not always clear why they aren't dodgeable.

EDIT: Good points from ArkhamFantasy above! Right weapon is important, yeah. Purple-colored damage numbers means your weapon type is weak and orange ones means it's strong.

There is a moment where it usually "clicks" for most people. I play defensively and attack when I see windows of opportunity. Some play aggressively all the time and that is no fun in my opinion. It's honestly the slow way of doing things. Blindsiding and retaliating after an attack cause big damage and make battles go faster and causes less "headaches" due to monsters knocking you down. The monsters and enemies are supposed to be unpredictable and wild to give them a realistic feeling. Playing defensively will cause you less stress and will open up more meaningful windows of attack. Techniques are also highly useful.

Me and Koozek posted some quick tips on the previous page. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245983760&postcount=10629

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245984144&postcount=10630

Also the episodes take place late in the game, they wont unlock until then.

Toth

Not feeling too enthused by these Gamescom announcements. The bestiary and chapter select stuff is neat but nothing to sink our teeth in. C'mon SE, let's see something good.

Keym

Apparently they have one more thing left to announce. I wouldn't get my hopes up though, it's probably more cup noodle hats.

Koozek

Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DH2EsFRV0AAysFb.jpg[/IMG]
[url]https://twitter.com/RedMakuzawa/status/900021405001039872[/url]

RPGCrazied

I would really like to play this, but I don't have a Pro. And with the 1.13 patch, the frame pacing seems worse. Also my PS4 fan sounds like its about to liftoff in my room.

I guess the windows version is my only hope.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Bought the game for 25€ on Xbox One. The first time I encountered a big creature that didn't attack me it felt like walking through a Jurassic Park.

I have a One X pre-ordered and I can't wait to see how this game will look on it.

SoulUnison

Banned
Pocket Edition hurts me in my soul, but slightly less than A New Empire, I guess.

I legitimately enjoyed XV, but it's depressing to see SE try to squeeze every last drop of blood from it and stretch content that barely filled out a single game into some kind of mini-franchise.

Pocket Edition hurts me in my soul, but slightly less than A New Empire, I guess.

I legitimately enjoyed XV, but it's depressing to see SE try to squeeze every last drop of blood from it and stretch content that barely filled out a single game into some kind of mini-franchise.

EA, Ubisoft, and Activision will not greenlight a project without a 5-10 year plan with sequels every year or every other year, each game would have a season pass and microtransactions.

Now compare that to what SE is doing with XV, you guys are insane if you think that making a PC port and a couple of small budget mobile games is "milking".

Keym

Koozek, do you know japanese? If so, could you translate more of this?

Really sad news, it seems.
For better or for worse, the game is already done. Everything they've been churning out since release is just some nice extras. I'm not sure what else people would want at this point, aside from a complete remake..

ultima786

For better or for worse, the game is already done. Everything they've been churning out since release is just some nice extras. I'm not sure what else people would want at this point, aside from a complete remake..

I just really like the characters, and feel they deserve a lot more screen time and cutscenes.

For now they "haven't "officially decided" to support FFXV past 2017 plan":
https://twitter.com/RedMakuzawa/status/900300639183306753

It's not like FFXIII where they want to stretch it out over a generation, even though we all love the characters here this time around. I would be okay with them supporting the multiplayer into 2018 with new additions, and I don't think that's completely off the table considering the PC version is coming in 2018.

I think they will add more story and stuff to the game if they feel the game warrants it. Honestly, they will stop when they feel they can do nothing more with the story and characters without betraying the core game in some way. I appreciate all the work and effort they've put into the game up until this point. :)

Edit: Upon reading the article and asking a co-worker to translate, there may have been a mistranslation here. It seems Tabata is stating the team hasn't "decided what the schedule of updates are after the PC release." He doesn't even mention "2017 Plan" or 2018.

ultima786

Edit: Upon reading the article and asking a co-worker to translate, there may have been a mistranslation here. It seems Tabata is stating the team hasn't "decided what the schedule of updates are after the PC release." He doesn't even mention "2017 Plan" or 2018.

Interesting. Keep us up-to-date if you can further clarify.

Koozek

Ohh, interesting. Thanks for clearing up!

Keym

The dream lives on! I only want a slightly tweaked battle system and a hard mode. The combat sucked ass, but if it worked okay in Comrades, then it can still be salvaged.

EA, Ubisoft, and Activision will not greenlight a project without a 5-10 year plan with sequels every year or every other year, each game would have a season pass and microtransactions.

Now compare that to what SE is doing with XV, you guys are insane if you think that making a PC port and a couple of small budget mobile games is "milking".

Hitman, Tomb Raider and Deux Ex with all their milking-ness is still a thing. Plus FFXV has that terrible mobile game (along side this horrid pocket edition) and the movie and the anime and the manga before the game came out.

ultima786

Hmm...
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/6vo0po/comment/dm1yvaf

"No, the translation is correct. Maku's original translation is closer to the actual meaning.

―コンソール版では今後もアップデートやダウンロードコンテンツの配信が続いていくと思いますが、PC版でも同じタイミングで行われるのですか?
I believe the updates and DLC's for the console version will continue throughout this year, is the PC version in the same timeframe?
田畑氏:年内に予定しているものはPC版にも収録されています。その後の予定はコンソール版でも正式に決まっていないのが現状です。
The plans we have for this year also include the PC version. Plans for after that, at this current time we have yet officially decided even for the console version.

So yeah, it really isn't ''officially'' decided past 2017, yet. I'm not saying it won't happen or it will happen. But with my previous services in 2016 at the official (now defunct) forums, it is my duty to provide accurate translations where it is needed."

Toth

Hmm...

"No, the translation is correct. Maku's original translation is closer to the actual meaning.

I believe the updates and DLC's for the console version will continue throughout this year, is the PC version in the same timeframe?
The plans we have for this year also include the PC version. Plans for after that, at this current time we have yet officially decided even for the console version.

So yeah, it really isn't ''officially'' decided past 2017, yet. I'm not saying it won't happen or it will happen. But with my previous services in 2016 at the official (now defunct) forums, it is my duty to provide accurate translations where it is needed."

That sounds more like they have a plan for updates up to the PC Version and after that is released, they will decide if further updates are needed. It may also mean a season 2 pass, even if planned, is not set in stone yet.

Vashetti

Banned
I think ideally they would want all content to be finished before the PC release, so they can sell that as the complete package and don't have to keep updating it with the new content.

Hmm...

This is pretty much what I stated. No mention of 2017 or 2018. Mentions that they have plans up to the PC version (releasing in 2018) and that they haven't decided what they will do with updates after the PC version releases. (Probably because they have a lot on their plate right now that they need to release.)

People were interpreting Maku's tweet as Tabata-san saying "yeah we're ending support after the PC version." Which is not what what he stated. It was purposefully worded to be vague. I was only disputing the "we're only supporting this until the end of 2017" claims that people tried to tie the tweet to. Even Maku stressed the "for now" part.

People are looking for a definitive answer that isn't there.

Edit: To put it simply, they have no plans decided beyond what they have already internally planned out right now. (Duh)

Keym

The Assassin's Creed collab looks more fun and exciting than most of the fluff in the main game.

That said, RIP story patches.

ultima786

So annoyed by the AC collab. No one asked for this, and does it even generate more sales? The community has been asking for story scenes since day 1. The most we got was like a couple of mins added to ch. 13 and hardly anything was resolved.

Story patches, RIP indeed!

Just because there is a fun collab that gives more content for people to play does not mean the end of Story Content additions. The team is capable of doing more than one thing at once and more then capable of working on more stuff after releasing content.

Did I ask for Assassin's Creed crossover? No. But does it look fun as hell to play and something that doesn't negatively affect the overall story of the game in any way? Resounding yes.

So am I allowed to be excited for the collaboration in here because 10 pages of that other thread I'm sure has gone to shit

Actually most people in that thread seem to see it as a fun little thing. It's just some of the regular posters that want to talk about...other things.

But you can be excited here too!! This is the Community thread! :D

Toth

I think it looks really good and more chances for Loqi and the Lestalleum gang to shine.

That being said, I really hope tomorrow brings some epic news ; ;

Ludens

Banned
Do we know if the full Comrades will be a separate app like the beta? Can I delete the beta or should I keep it to avoid downloading more data when the final version release?

Koozek

So they're not going to say the poll results at Gamescom?
Maybe they'll talk about it in an ATR at TGS next month where they also promised to show more multiplayer details. Also I'm expecting the results to play a role in the plans for a possible second Season Pass.

Top Bottom