• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is this guy so skilled at boxing

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
seriously, he does things that I have never been seen done before in boxing

even from great fighters like Floyd etc.

DQsVC6qX4AE3Gep.jpg

I can't give him too much credit for beating up Rigo considering how much bigger Loma is, plus the fact that Rigo is 37 - well past his prime. However, his destruction of Nicholas Walters was incredible. He made a feared, undefeated fighter in his prime look like a complete amateur. Made him quit on his stool no less. He really is special.

Tdog987

He is one of the most skilled fighters I've ever seen

But let's see if he can beat someone who he isn't at least a 2/1 favorite against...ever fight he has ever had he has been the favorite

i-Lo

Don't follow boxing and didn't know who the guy was but thanks to the video link, I saw one of the most amazing athletes to date!

MastAndo

Gold Member
It's really a joy to watch him box. I can't recall being more impressed with the technical abilities of any fighter. He downright embarrassed Rigondeaux on Saturday night, a good fighter in his own right. Nomaschenko indeed!

etern1ty

Neo Member
What is he, 400-2 with his amateur + pro record?

He is the best P4P boxer today by farrrrrrrrrrr.

To do that to Rigondeux who himself who would still have the stature Vasyl has until Vasyl turned pro.

Moze

Banned
He made Rigondeaux quit last weekend. That should tell ya on what realm he is existing.

Rigo is an inactive 37-45 year old (nobody really knows how old he is) fighting two weight divisions above his natural weight class. The fight was a mismatch.

Mohonky

Can see what he is doing with blinding his opponent, takes them a moment to realise whats happen and by that time he's already knocked them with an unexpectes hit. Smart, but something Im surprised other fighters at that level arent already doing.

Makes sense.

Wait. Putting your hand in their face is cutting edge? Shit, I've been doing that since highschool.

Leaning on the opponent is neat, though. Seriously, I expect that to force a rule change or a paradigm shift in boxing strategy.

Mohonky

Wait. Putting your hand in their face is cutting edge? Shit, I've been doing that since highschool.

Leaning on the opponent is neat, though. Seriously, I expect that to force a rule change or a paradigm shift in boxing strategy.

No I think its the full package they are referring to.

He goes for a jab or a straight forcing the opponent to turtle, what little view they have left he is blocking with one hand while simultaneously slipping his opponent, as he does that he's dragg8ng his arm in a way to prevent his opponent from being able to really do anything with his arms and then coming in with his opposite hand to strike before they can do anything.

Makes sense and kind of surprised its not something done more often or before.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Rigo is an inactive 37-45 year old (nobody really knows how old he is) fighting two weight divisions above his natural weight class. The fight was a mismatch.

This is true. And I like Lomo.

Well just move backwards when he tries that move .... combo breaker

First thing I thought. Move backwards. Or at the very least, mirror him. No way anyone should be unprepared for his technique.

Still, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

kevm3

The guy is skilled definitely, but way too much hyperbole surrounding this guy. Arum even has the nerve to say this guy is better than Ali and other greats. The guy isn't doing anything that Roy Jones or Pernell Whitaker hasn't done. In fact, he sort of reminds me of a mixture of both of them.

The guy is skilled definitely, but way too much hyperbole surrounding this guy. Arum even has the nerve to say this guy is better than Ali and other greats. The guy isn't doing anything that Roy Jones or Pernell Whitaker hasn't done. In fact, he sort of reminds me of a mixture of both of them.

I agree that the hyperbole is getting out of hand. The media is perhaps overhyping him because that's what brings the ratings for ESPN. They know exactly what they're doing by having these moronic analysts hyping him up. Teddy Atlas is probably legitimately insane, and Screaming A. Smith has no business talking boxing, ever. ESPN made a huge deal about Kimbo Slice for crying out loud.

The same thing happened with Román González. The hyperbole was out of control and was starting to get annoying. Almost makes me glad he got KTFO, lol.

Like I said before, he should get little to no credit for the Rigondeaux fight. It would be the equivalent of Lomachenko moving up to Junior Welterweight at 37 years old to face Terrance Crawford. That's insane to even think about. Crawford would castrate Loma even now.

caffeware

Banned
Even Freddy Roach was rooting for Rigo. Loma killed the guy. Now everyone "knows".

That said, he needs to prove himself still. A mike garcia fight would be good.

Top Bottom