• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice - New SCE Vita action game, May 10 Conference [Up: Ad Images]

pramath

Banned
This is exactly the kind of thing Sony should be doing.

Build up that first party.

The problem is not that Sony doesn't have a first party portfolio on handhelds: on the PSP, they had Wipeout, ModNation Racers, God of War, LittleBigPlanet, Killzone, Pursuit Force, Syphon Filter, Invizimals, Gran Turismo, Patapon, and Locoroco to name a few- but that none of their first party games, especially on handhelds, move systems.

Rumor says it is linked to Demon's Souls with the involvement of From, but to what extent is unknown.
If it is, then the Vita will become a priority purchase for me, I'm afraid.

Clones never hit big

If its MonHun with magicians, then meh

being focused on magician can result to a very different kind of gameplay than monhun. I don't agree to call it clones if it simply have 4 player coop against big monster. monhun is like a whole new genre now, and there's a lot of thing they can do within that genre but still innovate and offer wildly different experience.

personally, I never get too much into monhun because I need some kind of story in my game, which is why I like God Eater more than monhun. a hunting game with magician and sorcerer with stories and high spec graphics is something that excites me. really hoe it turns out great.

there's gonna be a lot of angry posts if this is demon's souls related

sounds like pure conjecture at this point

it's probably SCEJ though :p

and SCEJ made great games, it just don't sell because they made rather niche kind of games like Patapon, Locoroco, Siren. hopefully this will be their big break for once.

duckroll

This might be getting quite the push from Sony. Apparently there's a 6 page ad in Famitsu just promoting the upcoming announcement event for the game.

Mondriaan

The first Monster Hunter title on the PSP didn't pull really fantastic numbers, so I'm hoping that Sony is willing to grow a new series and actually announce that they plan to bring it to the west instead of telling us to keep the faith.

Mario007

This might be getting quite the push from Sony. Apparently there's a 6 page ad in Famitsu just promoting the upcoming announcement event for the game.

expect 40/40 review score for it, in that case :p

No seriously, it's great that Sony is finally pushing the system and its games. Gives you hope for the E3, especially considering we already know two ps3 games are gonna be announced before the conference

Instro

Rumor says it is linked to Demon's Souls with the involvement of From, but to what extent is unknown.

I'd imagine its because "Soul" is in the name.

An MH clone would be rather interesting though, a lot of people in Japan would go for something like that probably. Although it would be somewhat of a red flag for future MH support on the Vita if Sony is just making one themselves.

ijed

Was Demon's soul popular in Japan though? Or was it more of a western craze kind of thing?.

Not sure if serious - Demon's Souls Asian server is still very active and unlike the Atlus servers have no intention of closing down.

Also for the first time since buying a Vita I'm actually excited about a game being announced for it!

Not sure if serious - Demon's Souls Asian server is still very active and unlike the Atlus servers have no intention of closing down.

Also for the first time since buying a Vita I'm actually excited about a game being announced for it!

I am not trolling - I just knew the game was/is vastly popular in the US, and a definite sleeper hit. I didn't know to which extent that success had happened in japan as well.

I am excited for the game, I am just wondering if it's the kind of a game Sony needs for a japan push (I think it would definitely help in the US).

botty

Banned
If this is Sony's answer to Monster Hunter then it is time to wave the white flag. Do clone series ever find true success?

Ridley327

If this is Sony's answer to Monster Hunter then it is time to wave the white flag. Do clone series ever find true success?

God Eater has been pretty successful for Namco, but it's about the only pure clone out there that's done well. There's other games like Phantasy Star Portable and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker that aren't specifically MonHun clones, but they either borrow or tap into the same kind of multiplayer experience that the series provides.

Mondriaan

An MH clone would be rather interesting though, a lot of people in Japan would go for something like that probably. Although it would be somewhat of a red flag for future MH support on the Vita if Sony is just making one themselves.
Pretty much everyone was making MH clones after MHP2, though, and it's hardly as if Sony didn't try. The White Knight Chronicles PSP game is a MH clone.

He was serious. Demon's Souls has sold about 700,000 copies and over 500,000 of that is NA sales. Japan doesn't care nearly as much as we do about the series.

On topic, I doubt this is related to the Souls series, but would be pleasantly surprised if it was. Probably just Sony's attempt at an answer to MH4.

Kyon

Banned

God Eater did decent...
tehe3.gif

Instro

Pretty much everyone was making MH clones after MHP2, though, and it's hardly as if Sony didn't try. The White Knight Chronicles PSP game is a MH clone.

Very true, it just strikes me as a a bit odd to set yourself up as a competitor to your biggest 3rd party franchise.

Very true, it just strikes me as a a bit odd to set yourself up as a competitor to your biggest 3rd party franchise.

It's likely because Nintendo has Monster Hunter in their arsenal as well now. With PSP it was all but guaranteed that Capcom would be taking their business to Sony when it came to their portable MH releases and now that guarantee no longer exists. Instead of being the only show in town, they'd have to actively moneyhat and compete with Nintendo for it now.

Ravage

Never was a fan of Monster Hunter but i'll take magicians over melee warriors anyday. Hope the 'evolved battle concept' involves something innovative.

ReaperXL7

Interested in seeing what this is going to be, I don't know how often it is that a publisher would put up a 6 page ad in a magazine, but I would think Sony must have some high expectations for this if they are planning on pushing it.

I'm not usually into playing as a mage in games, so I'll be curious if this can gain my interest for the long term once it's shown to the public.

Top Bottom