• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC - Devil May Cry announced (Capcom X Ninja Theory) - [Update: Unreal Engine 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
On the one hand, that character model looks awful and I thought Heavenly Sword was a pretty poor game. It's the only PS3 game I've ever traded. On the other hand, I really believe that every other DMC character model ever has looked awful. People keep telling me that Dante, Nero, and Virgil have "badass" designs, but they all look terrible to me.

I'm not a fan of the franchise in general; I think it's the general "stylish action" genre. Even RE5, during the Wesker segments, gets on with some of this stuff. Basically, where other people see it as "totally awesome" when people are flipping through the air and firing billions of bullets that curve and doing sweet sword-to-gun-to-sword-to-fist combos, I just think that's lame. I think if you want to go surreal, something similar in tone to God Hand is the way to go, but even then I think I prefer my action... I don't know... grounded. I just get bad flashbacks to the period after The Matrix came out where every action movie had incredibly elaborate bullet time or wire fu sequences and they all just looked like incredibly overproduced messes to me. The voice acting and attempts at plot just make an awkward situation worse for me.

So I guess I'm not sure what I would want from this. To make it a game I'd enjoy they'd have to so thoroughly gut the franchise that it wouldn't resemble any of the earlier games, and judging from the reactions in this thread over a mere character design, I don't think the existing fanbase would take that well.

Edit: Wow, I reallllly didn't want this to be a top-of-the-page post.

SolidSnakex said:
1zgt46t.jpg

2ijn2pi.jpg
How is that Dante? Short brown hair? UK flag?

What the fuck is this shit?!

Tonza

What is that?

I had some hope that Ninja Theory could atleast do a good game but that character design is downright awful.

Pretty bummed out now. DMC is one of my favorite series... :(

glaurung

Wallach said:
Maybe it's the whole "I just did a shit ton of meth" look and his fucking idiotic outfit.
Yes... The meth addict resemblance also struck me, but given the current world order of pedo-priests and whatnot, I went with possessed.

*shrugs

Yell some more, maybe they'll change the style like it happened with Infamous 2. Or maybe you can unlock the DMC4 character model with the DMC4 save file.

Steroyd

My reaction to this thread:

1. Laughing my ass off at the lulz.
  2. Crying tears of laughter and sadness.
  3. Vommiting at what Dante now looks like.

Why? For the love of god WHY!?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So......... is the singer from Placebo right?

IceMarker

Wow you guys are bitchy this morning, I think it looks fine.

How about we actually see the trailer before we make judgments methinks.

If Capcom saw this thread they'd probably think we're all assholes.

I just cannot believe they took one of the most badass character designs, and turned it into some PBR drinking hipster shit.

The last couple of days have felt like bizzaro world in video games.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Some of those action shots actually make it look a bit better. It's just the hair that looks fucking dreadful.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
glaurung said:
I cannot see why people do not like the new character design.

It looks demonic, possessed. Good enough for me.

Seriously? He looks like a gay* heroin-addicted prostitute.

Hopefully this is just a feint and it's not Dante/Vergil/Sparda depicted in the trailer. If it is, Capcom is without a doubt trying to kill this franchise.

*not that there's anything wrong with that

Orobi

Oh men.... look at artwork....... :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lo
l :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Jex

Cartman86 said:
Heaven forbid they stick their necks out and try something new for a series that is getting stale.
New doesn't have to be shit. This is some ugly shit.

Inafune needs to left Capcom, before it destroyes totally Mikami and Kamiya legacy....holy fuck....it's too late for DMC, but RE can be saved, someone....do something!!!!

Aaron

Wow, this is actually worse than I expected it to be, and I had really low expectations. I'd have more respect for Capcom if they just flushed the series down the toilet.

V_Arnold

Urban Scholar said:
I have to say I'm really impressed with the main character's(I can assume) design. Well consider me on board: choo, choo GAF.

I am very impressed also. I know it will never have a chance of beating 10 year headstart on the "obviously superior" (Id say simply different) design which Dante had, but it would help if people were to accept this is DMC as Ultimate Spider-Man is Spider-Man, not Amazing Spider-Man.

jiggle

vile
grotesque
appalling
repulsive
wretched
disgusting
horrid
nasty
add those all up and still can't describe how bad that looks

why does he have a coat made of garbage bag

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Dante looks like he got sick.

Empty

i wasn't expecting much from ninja theory, but this initial stuff is awful beyond anything i could have expected.

rockman zx said:
http://h.imagehost.org/0646/key_image_layered_edited-1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

it just keeps getting worse. diabolically bad.

Orobi

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

rupuue.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.