• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC - Devil May Cry announced (Capcom X Ninja Theory) - [Update: Unreal Engine 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never liked Devil May Cry, so I’m siting here laughing my ass of right now.

But I do pity the fans of the series....Dante needs to be nuked from orbit. :lol

Kyoufu

This is so fucking awful. Why? Because Dante awakens in DMC3 with his Devil Trigger. Obviously they're going to have DT again in this game but he is supposed to be even younger? I don't understand. I DONT UNDERSTAAAAAAND

The design is soooo bad. Dante deserved better.

R.I.P. DMC

_Xenon_

Banned
30fps UE3 + crack head twilight dante + ninja theory ---> DMC5

Well on the positive part, I don't have to waste money on DMC titles anymore.

Vasili2K38

Geez, lol at NeoGAf's hive mind overreacting.. I obviously prefer the original Dante, but I do like the new design, in some screenshots he looks like a crazy killer, which I love. And the environments look good.. we should wait for a trailer or gameplay details before we start the bashing :lol

Defuser

Somewhere Reuben Langdon is cursing right now, Twilight might cry indeed.

Good god,somebody get rid of Inafune and Ninja Theory.

Risette

A Good Citizen
the original dmc char designs were awful and cheesy looking but they had some charm to them. new dante looks like some soulless focus tested crap made to appeal to twilight fans :/

Calcaneus

Defuser said:
Somewhere Reuben Langdon is cursing right now, Twilight might cry indeed.

Good god,somebody get rid of Inafune and Ninja Theory.
It would fucking suck if they didn't use him for this game.

Zenith

Banned
156s8bc.jpg

"God save our gracious Queen..."

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Acosta said:
What action games do you like then? Because by that description you are discarding most of the melee action games I know from last years.

It's definitely not my genre. I'm not a fan of DMC, NG, or GOW as franchises and I think people would agree that those three are the biggest in the genre. I don't really want to get in and mince games left and right to say what I've enjoyed and what I haven't and why I didn't enjoy the games I didn't. I do like hack-and-slash as a genre, not so much stylish melee combo action.

DMC in specific is the franchise that turns me off the most of all of those though, and it's specifically because of the "stylish" aesthetic. In the character designs, cutscenes, and gameplay, it just feels like everything about the game is supposed to feel sleek, stylish, and badass... and none of it ever resonated for me.

Heavenly Sword, if they had fixed all the technical issues and changed the character direction, redid the last boss, made the game longer with a wider variety of environments, made the collectibles interesting, and if the SixAxis controls were turned off by default instead of me getting half-way through the game before I realized I could turn them off... with all of those changes, it could have been a pretty decent game. So I guess I would say that I feel like NT's Heavenly Sword, despite being definitely a less polished game than any DMC, is closer conceptually to something I'd enjoy playing.

In any case, it's a matter of taste I guess. But that is beyond the point, as you said, many people love Dante's design, changing it that way is a mistake and will have consequences. I was ready to give NT a chance, and now I feel less willing to do it just for that horrible design.

Absolutely. I'm not here to troll or anything. I'm well aware that most people like DMC and that that fan base likes all the elements I don't. I don't begrudge them their game. Like I said, I don't see any way they could make me like the franchise without making all the people who like it dislike it.

I don't think these screenshots really make anyone happy. If they liked DMC, this is not going to be appealing. If they didn't like DMC like me because of the "badass" attitude, these shots don't really fix this. Too bad no one seems excited for now.

danmaku said:
I agree on that, but at least they all looked like they were taken straight from some b-grade anime, and it was fine. It was hilariously stupid and fit well with the game.

Maybe that's the thing; I don't watch much anime. I've seen half the Ghibli movies, most of DB and DBZ, a few other one offs like Paprika and the Evangelion movie, and that's about it. So I'm sure that whatever anime traditions or characters or designs that DMC is supposed to evoke didn't resonate with me.

IrishNinja

guys guys

its young dante, some shit goes down in the game AND IT TURNS HIS HAIR WHITE/SILVER

spoilers back there, sorry

Vasilisk said:
Geez, lol at NeoGAf's hive mind overreacting.. I obviously prefer the original Dante, but I do like the new design, in some screenshots he looks like a crazy killer, which I love. And the environments look good.. we should wait for a trailer or gameplay details before we start the bashing :lol
You're right, we should give them the benefit of the doubt, it's not like the developer has a track record of terrible character design and so-so action games.

o wait

and fuck off with that "hive mind" shit. how fucking into yourself do you have to be to think that a person who disagrees with you on aesthetics is part of a mob mentality?

Ledsen

V_Arnold said:
I am very impressed also. I know it will never have a chance of beating 10 year headstart on the "obviously superior" (Id say simply different) design which Dante had, but it would help if people were to accept this is DMC as Ultimate Spider-Man is Spider-Man, not Amazing Spider-Man.

Ultimate Spider-Man looks exactly like normal Spider-Man.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kyoufu said:
This is so fucking awful. Why? Because Dante awakens in DMC3 with his Devil Trigger. Obviously they're going to have DT again in this game but he is supposed to be even younger? I don't understand. I DONT UNDERSTAAAAAAND

The design is soooo bad. Dante deserved better.

R.I.P. DMC

Capcom clearly doesn't understand what their long time fans want. Hope this becomes another bomb in their recent string of bombs.

Wallach

Segata Sanshiro said:
You're right, we should give them the benefit of the doubt, it's not like the developer has a track record of terrible character design and so-so action games.

o wait

Whatever dude, meth is so in right now, they really have their finger on the pulse of things.

Don

Looks ugly, but I'm even more worried about how it plays. Ninja Theory still have to prove that they can make a game that actually plays decently so why did Capcom think it was a good idea to let them make a DMC game?

Tricky I Shadow said:
I never liked Devil May Cry, so I’m siting here laughing my ass of right now.

But I do pity the fans of the series....Dante needs to be nuked from orbit. :lol
Well I can laugh with you. I really liked the first game, never played the second, rushed through the third and tried to enjoy the fourth without crinching my face at the cheesy dialogue and "i'm trying to be cool" attitude of the main idiot character whom name I have forgotten.

The best is when people defend it by saing: It's growing on me. Why not have a good character from the beginning and not rely on the horrible emo thing to "grow" on you in the first place?

Yoboman

Things that might make me roll with this:

1. Fix his hair
2. Make sure ALL of the combat is handled by Capcom
3. 60 FPS

Then maybe, maybe I'll look at Poochy May Cry again

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Moar like GAF Will Cry amirite?

Yoboman

Kagari said:
Capcom clearly doesn't understand what their long time fans want. Hope this becomes another bomb in their recent string of bombs.
They've never given us what we want from DMC games. DMC3 was the closest they came, but only from a combat perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom