• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLIG / PC (Steam, GamersGate): Cthulhu Saves The World (240pts / $3) - Insanity, Ho!

weeaboo

I love this game, it's like an updated version of Final Fantasy IV but with Cthulhu and cheesy dialogues. So good <3

The actual game looks funny and stuff, and for the price I can't say no, but I'm gonna be a cynical butthole and say that the art is absolutely terrible, and not in a charming way.

plc268

I started BoDVII first... 40 minutes in, and it's been pretty good so far.

I just wish Steam would allow me to take screenshots, but I guess the screenshot tool isn't compatible with the game.

BigJiantRobut said:
The actual game looks funny and stuff, and for the price I can't say no, but I'm gonna be a cynical butthole and say that the art is absolutely terrible, and not in a charming way.

The art fits, imo. It's supposed to feel like an old school game.

Andrefpvs

slash000 said:
We developed our own engine and assets. We started with a basic dialogue system, then built upon that to create BODVII, then built upon that to create CSTW. So it's sort of an evolving engine. However, if you want distinct numbers, BODVII took relatively few months (3) to develop (two person team; coder/writer and artist/mapper), though we had a lot of the engine started and most of the concepts laid out already. CSTW built upon the BOD engine, but the game took roughly 8 months to develop (three person team). We took several months extra to add additional content to CSTW and to port the games to the PC.

Expenses are relatively low if you can find the right team members and try to keep your expenses in line. XNA is a free Microsoft tool, and Xblig requires a $100/year membership. Those are the basic costs. Team members at Zeboyd split net revenue rather than pay salaries, though right now we are proceeding with contracting our musician. But if you have an eager, responsible team with the tools they need to do their parts, you can keep costs relatively low. That is part of how we approach development.

Thank you very much for the detailed answer. I downloaded XNA GS 4 and will be taking a look at it soon.

Oh wow, this game actually features some fantastic design choices. Limited amount of random battles per dungeon and healing HP but not MP fully after battles really makes this a step forward when it comes to this sort of RPG. Good stuff!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
For some reason the game defaults to 1440x480 in fullscreen for me. I found the settings file, but I can't seem to figure out how to open it to edit it manually :(

720p windowed works fine, but it's not as immersive and roleplaying Cthulu demands immersion.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm gonna get this tonight, I think. I like Cthulhu and I've been starved lately for anything resembling a JRPG.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Even though I'm barely into Breath of Death VII (up to the graveyard) this is a massive nostalgia trip. It's as if Dragon Quest married Mother and the end result is this game. HP refill with no penalties at the end of each quick battle and a count of available battles in an area is genius.

Can't wait to sink into Cthulu Saves the World.

Card Boy

Banned
I just picked this up. I would be intrested on how well this did on Steam and GG compared to XBLIG. It's at number 1 on the top sellers list on Steam at the moment.

I didn't pick it up on Xbox for obvious reasons 1) I don't have an Xbox and b) Even if i did, XBLIG isn't available freely worldwide. So it's good to see this on PC.

I love me so old school Dragon Quest style RPGs but the humor for these does not really seem to be my cup of tea.

Still, for $3 I think I can definitely enjoy enough of the former without the latter bothering me too much.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Bought. Sounds like I should start with BoD first, then. I'm assuming it's a short game like Cthulu, which might actually be a good thing. I like JRPG's but they tend to drag on a bit too long.

Syril

I just started Breath of Death VII, and it's very entertaining. The level up choices are neat, and I like that all the towns so far have been named after offbeat 16-bit RPGs.

Card Boy

Banned
Don't know who made it, but....

cthulhumoney.jpg

Wings1

Neo Member
I've only played Cthulhu Saves the World for a bit over an hour and so far it's been amazing! I can't believe it was so cheap and came with another game too. It's definitely my best Steam purchase for the price-fun ratio.

Everyone buy the pack! You won't be disappointed!

Red

Glad the game is being appreciated a bit more now. It truly was a gem of XBLIG, damn shame it wasn't more popular.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Petrie said:
Steam isn't letting me purchase which is super disappointing, as I'm pretty hyped for this. Hopefully whatever the issue is (be it my CC or Steam itself) will be rectified by later in the day, as I want to get some time in with this tonight! Grrrr!

You can always get it on GamersGate as an alternative.

Interfectum said:
Steamworks would've been nice to have (achievements, cloud saves, etc)... just sayin. Bought anyway. :)

I agree; we'd have liked to include a whole slew of Steamworks features, but we are strapped for time as we're knee-deep in development of our next game. We are considering the possibility of cloud saves, but nothing is set in stone yet. We will try to utilize Steamworks to its fullest in our next game though.

Andrefpvs said:
Thank you very much for the detailed answer. I downloaded XNA GS 4 and will be taking a look at it soon.

No problem, ask away if you have any other questions. Our goals were to start out with smaller, more manageable projects and then build upon them with time. What I do not recommend is starting with your biggest, best game idea. I personally recommend starting with something smaller and more manageable to learn the ropes and gain experience bringing a game development project to fruition. Once you've done that, then consider tackling a more ambitious project. That was how we approached it, anyway.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Petrie said:
Steam isn't letting me purchase which is super disappointing, as I'm pretty hyped for this. Hopefully whatever the issue is (be it my CC or Steam itself) will be rectified by later in the day, as I want to get some time in with this tonight! Grrrr!
Yo if you hit me up on Steam, I'll gift you a copy completely free.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/stallionfree

I feel dirty having gotten the game at it's current price.

R1CHO

I tried it for 2 minutes, apparently it works perfectly fine in a netbook... one core atom and the shitty gma950, so good news.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
RPG? Cthulhu? Parody? $3? Comes with another game? And it's good?

I don't what I did to deserve this, but I need to figure it out so this will keep happening.

AEREC

plc268 said:
I started BoDVII first... 40 minutes in, and it's been pretty good so far.

I just wish Steam would allow me to take screenshots, but I guess the screenshot tool isn't compatible with the game.

The art fits, imo. It's supposed to feel like an old school game.

Steam screenshots only work games for that use Direct X 8 and up...I think.

AEREC said:
Steam screenshots only work games for that use Direct X 8 and up...I think.

I dunno, I've taken screenshots with OS X games and they aren't using DX. Also, the requirements page for the game says it needs a DX9-compatible card...

A friend gifted me this. I'm eager to play it soon. I wanted it based on the name alone back when it was on XBLA, but PC gaming kept me busy and I didn't want to buy a points card. So glad it came to Steam.

Mikeside

I have to wait for a cheque to clear on Tuesday to get this on Steam - but I'll be gifting a couple of copies to friends too.

Excitement :)

Caved in another time and bought a double pack for my gf .

Is there a way to manually change the resolution ? My netbook can only go up to 1024 * 600 ;(

Nabs

I just beat BoD. It was pretty damn good, and easily worth more than I paid.

Now it's time for the main event.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Petrie said:
Would you guys say play BoD first or just skip right to the new game?

I'd say play BoD first, having played it first on XBLA. In makes you appreciate the improvements to Cthulhu so much! Going back to BoD after CSTW would kinda feel like getting to play a rip-off that missed out on "the originals" perks, lol.

Top Bottom