• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 controller: touchpad + share button + dualshock

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Here's my symmetrical stick version with Vita d-pad.

ie95ZhjTMuDVa.png
Better but not so chunky and make the buttons like the PSP/Vita ie "transparent"

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
They really need 2 controller options, one with each stick placement. Seriously, best of both worlds. Make everyone happy.
That'd be great. I feel like both camps are so stubborn about their preference. I know it's been a significant reason in me not getting Playstation systems in the past. The controller just isn't accurate enough or comfortable enough to me. It's not unplayable, but it's cumbersome.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
That'd be great. I feel like both camps are so stubborn about their preference. I know it's been a significant reason in me not getting Playstation systems in the past. The controller just isn't accurate enough or comfortable enough to me. It's not unplayable, but it's cumbersome.

Thing they need to realize is no one buys a PS just because of the controller, but there are people that don't buy one because of the controller. They are leaving some money on the table.

I wouldn't mind two models either:

Ship consoles with the original/standard model, introduce a Jumbo model to be sold separately.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Thing they need to realize is no one buys a PS just because of the controller, but there are people that don't buy one because of the controller. They are leaving some money on the table.
I mean, now that I don't have any particular love for Microsoft exclusives anymore, I'm very on the fence about which console to sink most my money in next gen. The controller could very well be what tips the scales for me.

What i hope to see:

Ba5RFaU.jpg

-sticks in the same spot
- 2 extra face buttons
- Vita d-pad
- improved shoulder buttons
- UBS port on bottom to accept accessories such as...

Chat pad

xNrARg8.jpg

Touch screen

HlYAzgQ.jpg

I like these. one problem, the sticks are too close together. would make gaming for any length of time impossible and cause considerable hand / thumb ache.

Drek

Well, the difference I think is that it's on the front, and it's not redundant. Still, without SEEING what you're manipulating I suspect it's just going to be for extra buttons that would've been better physically. Especially Start/Select, I hope they at worst go the 3DS route and just tuck tiny ones underneath. I can live with that, just don't take them off entirely, I need to be damn sure I pressed it to pause.

You can see what you're manipulating, by looking at your TV.

It's a laptop touchpad put in the middle of the controller. People need to stop thinking about how it's used on Vita or how it's used in games. Chances are it's more relevant from a UI standpoint than anything game related. A touchpad on a laptop is a hell of a lot nicer than those old thumb nubs, which are analogous to the input method we've been stuck with on consoles (analog sticks). The only similarity to the Vita is that it likely will use identical hardware design. It's use will likely be something completely different.

Flatline

Banned
Well I think the fact that the whole thing is supposedly clickable is telling about intended use for 'aim and select'... another weakness of vita's reartouch addressed.

Hard to say though until we see it applied. Very curious if any devs will apply it to aiming. I would immediately prefer it to stick aiming if it worked well and the pad traversal was sensitive enough and gave a wide enough aiming range without too much 'thumb reset'.

Considering how much faster and precise it would be with the trackpad I wouldn't even mind reseting. The question is where is will be placed. Has there ever been an controller that used a trackpad to mimic mouse movement on shooters?

The more I think about it, the more I like the breakable controller. If done right, it could be so much better, it collects a market being ignored by Wii (motion), and motion control becomes an optional setup that still offers gameplay advances that you can't get with ordinary controls.

I still feel that for a normal touch controller, the bottom space below the analog sticks is much ignored free space. If properly designed, it could add a lot of functional space

Same size and ergonomics of the DS3 is such a huge disappointment. Why Sony, why?

Whatever happened to the break-apart controller idea? That design has godly potential.

Sony making some unique choices of their own with the pad and hardware. Video recording and sharing is a huge plus. They need to stray more from the Dualshock design, though.

Well, the difference I think is that it's on the front, and it's not redundant. Still, without SEEING what you're manipulating I suspect it's just going to be for extra buttons that would've been better physically. Especially Start/Select, I hope they at worst go the 3DS route and just tuck tiny ones underneath. I can live with that, just don't take them off entirely, I need to be damn sure I pressed it to pause.

I just dont see how this isnt anything more than just a gimmick. This is on the same levels as Six axies. Its just a knee jerk reaction to what others are doing.

The video recording is awesome though. I play a lot of street fighter, this will come very handy to me.

KAL2006

Banned
Okay I gotta admit, I didn't give a flying fuck about this Vdeio sharing feature in fact I still don't, but have now realised it's potential.

The big trend these days are social networks. I think Sony has realised this and it will be PS4's main feature. I think they will expand of LiveArea which Vita had. I already see people post phone camera pictures of their FIFA end result score and brag on Facebook, imagine people now being able to instantly show of how they won a matchby uploading a video in ease.

What is LiveArea?
Every game on Vita has it's own LiveArea page before you boot the game. In this page, you can check you can get linked to the PS Store for the games DLC, and see new news on the game. Finally you are able to see your friends Trophy activity on the game, and comment or like an activity. So what do I mean by expanding on this. Well I think you will be able to see leaderboards without the need to even start a game. Basically the LiveArea will be more like a Facebook, page were you can post new messages, comment on each others, compare trophies, get help, start a online game by gathering people, and meet new people. Into will be a combination of a Facebook fanpage, Miiverse and LiveArea, Finally the big news is being able to upload videos and pics here.

Uploading and viewing shared Video and Pics
You can upload you pics and videos to either LiveArea, Facebook, YouTube, directly send to other PS4 users. Of course viewing other peoples shared Videos and pics will be on those things (LiveArea, YouTube, Facebook, and inbox messages received). I expect Sony to release a app for smartphones to access LiveArea and shared videos from your phone as well as queue and/or remote downloads from PS Store on your phone.

VanWinkle

Same size and ergonomics of the DS3 is such a huge disappointment. Why Sony, why?

Whatever happened to the break-apart controller idea? That design has godly potential.

Where did it say same ergonomics? I thought we only knew that it would be the same size (which most controllers are).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I just dont see how this isnt anything more than just a gimmick. This is on the same levels as Six axies. Its just a knee jerk reaction to what others are doing.

This sounds more like a apple magic trackpad kind of thing than a Wii U kind of thing.

The big differences vs Vita rear touch would be position, size, and unambiguous 'click'. Two of those things are also different from Wii U, the consequences of which are different input possibilities.

Considering how much faster and precise it would be with the trackpad I wouldn't even mind reseting. The question is where is will be placed. Has there ever been an controller that used a trackpad to mimic mouse movement on shooters?

Well the rumour is in the middle of the controller. So hopefully it's pretty immediately accessible from thumb positions on the sticks.

Eusis

Well can't you just tell by the pause screen coming up. :S
Admittedly I probably should've said somethin gabout being sure I'm finding it and pressing it, rather than quickly jamming my thumb down there until I hit the pause section or whatever.
You can see what you're manipulating, by looking at your TV.

It's a laptop touchpad put in the middle of the controller. People need to stop thinking about how it's used on Vita or how it's used in games. Chances are it's more relevant from a UI standpoint than anything game related. A touchpad on a laptop is a hell of a lot nicer than those old thumb nubs, which are analogous to the input method we've been stuck with on consoles (analog sticks). The only similarity to the Vita is that it likely will use identical hardware design. It's use will likely be something completely different.
Admittedly I haven't liked the trackpad on my laptop too much, so to me this DOES sound bad, but if it's higher quality then it probably won't be so bad.
Ew. Quick saves break a lot of games.
If they work as suspend states they shouldn't. Just an upgraded pause, rather than a save to easily fall back on when you're having trouble.

I wonder what this means for multiplat games on PC. I use my DS3 for tons of games via motionjoy because the DS3 and 360 pad are practically identical so its an accepted standard.

If the DS4 and 720 pad are different enough that you run into issues with multiplats, I fear it won't be as plug and play happy as it is now.

jayb

if they remove the start/select buttons, they better add extra face buttons. in games like BF3, you need to hit select to spot people. It'll suck if they make us use the touchpad to do that in BF4.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Good call. PS4 better have a suspend game function like PSP Go and Vita. While I'm dreaming, you should be able to suspend up to 3 game at once.
Yeah, that'd be awesome.

Also, for the record, I'm really excited about the Share button functionality. I've been wanting something like that built into consoles since the N64 days.

mattp

If they work as suspend states they shouldn't. Just an upgraded pause, rather than a save to easily fall back on when you're having trouble.

yup, exactly
i don't want system-wide "save anywhere any time", some games have their own systems as part of the game design
but having a suspend option any time at system level would be fucking AWESOME. when you load that suspend file, it goes away. so yeah, its just like pausing, only you can turn the console off

Amir0x

Banned
"Dude I am stuck on this monster check out my video"
Followed by a 100 responses of "Noob"

pfft. Who cares about them!

It's all about demonstrating special strategies, unveiling secret approaches to different areas of games, showing a fighting technique or a particular customization set up in a game.

God this is such a great feature if it's true

KAL2006

Banned
About the touchpad, I don't think it's a big deal and I don't think SOny will market as a big deal. All it is a replacement for start and select, with a extra feature for swiping gestures that may help with menu navigation and help on minor things on games, People saying WTF gimmick, or should have been a touchscreen, should realise this probably costs SOny barely anything to implement and added as a simple design choice in replacement of the start and select buttons. I don't care that they have a small tochpad, and I wouldnt care if they didnt have one.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

It's all about demonstrating special strategies, unveiling secret approaches to different areas of games, showing a fighting technique or a particular customization set up in a game.

It really, really is. Absolutely huge. It could totally change the way people discuss games too. Being able to show, and not just tell about awesome moments could be amazing.

Eusis

About the touchpad, I don't think it's a big deal and I don't think SOny will market as a big deal. All it is a replacement for start and select, with a extra feature for swiping gestures that may help with menu navigation and help on minor things on games, People saying WTF gimmick, or should have been a touchscreen, should realise this probably costs SOny barely anything to implement and added as a simple design choice in replacement of the start and select buttons. I don't care that they have a small tochpad, and I wouldnt care if they didnt have one.
Problem is they're not exactly buttons I want replaced with touch. Granted, that can be said for any button, but it's still not something I'd want to see.

Mit-

quite bizarre that they put in a touchpad for those features? would it be cheaper to implement than buttons?

I'm sure they have more in mind for the touch pad than just replacing the start and select buttons.

I imagine at the very least their web browser will support it similar to the PS3 web browser supported the PS3 chat pad.

The PS3 chat pad allowed you to brush your finger across it to control a mouse onscreen in the browser. They could do the same with a touch pad, and even better, you can click the touch pad to select things.

Other than that it does seem pretty gimmicky. I can't think of it being used any more than Sixaxis, which was pretty much only used to break the cohesive gameplay experience and immersion while you fight with some stupid motion controls.

Also saving your last fifteen minutes of game footage at any given time is awesome.

KAL2006

Banned

I agree, with this. Fighting game community will show off and discuss strategy, same with hardcore online shooter fans. Casuals will upload of themselves owning their mates for bragging rights, it all for fun, like I said before I actually have people on Facebook, who take a picture with their phone of the end score on FIFA about them destroying their mate, and the comments are hilarious. Imagine they can do that now with videos and discuss the awesome goal they scored and etc.

Amir0x

Banned
It really, really is. Absolutely huge. It could totally change the way people discuss games too. Being able to show, and not just tell about awesome moments could be amazing.

Yup. It's a hardcore gamer game-changer. The fact that it's apparently implemented right into the controller too means it's a feature people will almost assuredly use a lot.

It's like I said elsewhere, finally a genuine innovation that isn't just a marketing gimmick

Duffyside

Banned
Why are you assuming that?

It sounds to me like they're putting what amounts to a laptop's touchpad in the middle of the controller. That makes sense with their big new social media connectivity/posting setup because I don't see Facebook, Youtube, etc. redesigning their interfaces around the PS4 and navigating websites with an analog stick is jank as hell.

If Sony thought this was going to be a big in-game feature it wouldn't be replacing the two buttons that are intentionally place furthest from game-relevant buttons. I'd imagine it'll see about as much in-game implementation as the select and start buttons themselves.

Because it's what they did with the Sixaxis, and then the Vita. This is Sony.

Uncharted 4 coal rubbings confirmed. And it's enough to fuck everything up, dammit.

Edit: And there's already a Youtube app for PS3. There will be one for PS4, and Twitter, and Facebook, etc. This is all good, but it shows that they don't need a laptop-touchpad.

Eusis

The bumpers are kind of crappy. I much prefer the Dual Shock's L1 and R1,
Yeah, the Wii U Pro Controller would come a lot closer if it had analog triggers. Bigger "bumpers", D-pad that's really good, better texture on the face buttons, and the stick placement actually works pretty nicely for first person games and may be surprisingly fine for 3rd party action games (this is yet to be properly tested). But then this is all down to personal preferences, and I think the DualShock stick placements have the edge on versatility simply because the sticks don't block you from using your index fingers on the D-Pad/face buttons.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
All 360's controller needs is a tweak to the d-pad and you have the best pad ever made.

Ya, no. Face buttons are not ergonomic, bumpers suck, hand-lobe things are at a bad angle and the battery pack needs to be rechargeable with an optional docking station.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yup. It's a hardcore gamer game-changer. The fact that it's apparently implemented right into the controller too means it's a feature people will almost assuredly use a lot.

It's like I said elsewhere, finally a genuine innovation that isn't just a marketing gimmick

I'm looking forward to finally being able to make videos that can finally put an end to the argument that Uncharted's combat is bad or hard.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm looking forward to finally being able to make videos that can finally put an end to the argument that Uncharted's combat is bad or hard.

I'll make a dual video showcasing how shitty Uncharted's platforming is, for contrast. You can be good cop, I'll be bad cop. Releasing dual visions of every game!

So is MS going to have video recording/photo capping? Sony seems to have had it from the start on PS3, but not properly integrated due to limitations.

Can Sony copyright features like this?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
All this talk of touch and share buttons - nothing about motion? I want it to have vita level motion controls for gyro aiming and other stuff

So is MS going to have video recording/photo capping? Sony seems to have had it from the start on PS3, but not properly integrated due to limitations.

Can Sony copyright features like this?

patents show microsoft have been planning the same thing for some time. it's mentioned in the durango leak thread if you want more details.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'll make a dual video showcasing how shitty Uncharted's platforming is, for contrast. You can be good cop, I'll be bad cop. Releasing dual visions of every game!

LOL. As much as I love Uncharted, I can't really disagree on the quality of the platforming. I enjoy it but it is objectively oversimplified.

Still, I love the idea of being able to talk about something on GAF and then finally be able to post videos in response to them. The Uncharted combat example is just one. Say, if I was having trouble doing a certain combo in an action game I could record myself attempting it and ask for advice. Hilarious glitches won't escape into the ether. It'll be really cool and really fun. As someone who loves talking about games as much as playing them, this feature is absolutely killer.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm trying to figure out a proper usage for a front touch pad, and am struggling. Unless this is supposed to be mainly used for cheap mobile games on PS4?

It'd be good for scrolling through lists quickly and accurately, scrolling web pages in the browser, scrubbing through your stored video replays to select which section to highlight

Top Bottom