• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Controller to Be Named "Move." Bye bye Gem? truly outrageous

jaypah

gofreak said:
The things they could do in a sword game...imagine a third person sword game with that level of control mapped between the controller and the sword.

In general, what seems really impressive to me is that the tracking is so continuous and apparently flawless without any noticeable resets or whatever over time.

i know, it's so damn smooth. oh man, i can not wait to see what they do with this tech! if they show me the right games i'll be at the 'new console' hype level.

V_Ben

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
doqhrl.gif

sold. bloody hell.

LordPhoque said:
Really looks like what the Wiimote should have been to me.

Hey look, another person who doesn't know what he's talking about...this tech in this form, along with the motion+ wasn't around back when the Wii was released. There is no, this is what it should have been, because that wasn't a feasible possibility

Zoramon089 said:
Hey look, another person who doesn't know what he's talking about...this tech in this form, along with the motion+ wasn't around back when the Wii was released. There is no, this is what it should have been, because that wasn't a feasible possibility

Lol then they should have wait. The wiimote just doesn't feel right to me, this on the other hand, seems to solve every problem I have with it.

jaypah

Zoramon089 said:

especially at the "Nintendo Price". they wanted to keep costs down and kick everyone elses ass and so far it's paid off for them. as a guy with all 3 consoles i don't really care who gets it right, so long as someone does.

mr_nothin

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
Wasnt feasible? A camera + accelo/gyro wasnt available back then?
It probably would have been a little more expensive but you cant say it wasnt feasible. They've also been making profit since they put the Wii out to market. I doubt that it would have cost them THAT much.

Poyunch

LordPhoque said:
Lol then they should have wait. The wiimote just doesn't feel right to me, this on the other hand, seems to solve every problem I have with it.
But would motion control technology be invested to the point that it's cheap enough to sell at a reasonable price if the Wiimote was never released in the first place?

Zoramon089 said:

do you know what you are talking about?

I'm looking forward to any games they have to show tomorrow, should be good :D

A.R.K

Rapping Granny said:
THATS RIGHT BITCHES. DEMON SOULS 2!!

I would love to play Demon's sould 2 with the wand but when I think about it more, I don't think I can play it pretending to hold a sword in one hand and holding up a shield in the other hand for more than 15 minutes (unless I take a break every few minutes or so which would kill the gaming). This is the problem I have with motion/wand/camera controls: how long can you do that in one session? You would be too tired to play it specially hard core games. For casual/party games I can understand, but playing hard core games like demon's soul with motion only controls, I am not sure. :/ May be it won't be as bad as I am thinking?

awesome gif btw

also, I find it ammusing that they are still showing us so much raw, old test footage of this device. It's a really different route than the Natal advertising machine...

mr_nothin

Banned
A.R.K said:
I would love to play Demon's sould 2 with the wand but when I think about it more, I don't think I can play it pretending to hold a sword in one hand and holding up a shield in the other hand for more than 15 minutes (unless I take a break every few minutes or so which would kill the gaming). This is the problem I have with motion/wand/camera controls: how long can you do that in one session? You would be too tired to play it specially hard core games. For casual/party games I can understand, but playing hard core games like demon's soul with motion only controls, I am not sure. :/ May be it won't be as bad as I am thinking?

awesome gif btw
Switch to regular controls :)

Poyunch

A.R.K said:

awesome gif btw
Well games on the Wii managed to do this fine.

Raist

Banned
Zoramon089 said:

Well, it kinda was...

A.R.K

mr_nothin said:
Switch to regular controls :)

I am all for regular + wand controls for every game...would make every one happy and less bitching :D

PounchEnvy said:
Well games on the Wii managed to do this fine.
Don't have Wii, thats why I pointed my concern. May be it would work fine as I said in my post.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So, I just tried that on that with WM+ and it does work, and the sword on Ghost Slayer rotates like on that gif... but, randomly, it losses connection. Looks like the lose (by design) WM+ connection isn't designed for such hard movements.

Raist

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
No, it really wasn't...there was an interview about this where they said that at the time of the Wii's release they were too bulky and costly to be put into the Wiimote. I'm not going to clutter this topic with the Wii so I'll just post a link. They talk about it on the first page...

http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/wiimotionplus/vol1_page1.jsp

Well, the specific parts might not have been available (or not for a reasonable price) but there were certainly ways to get around that. Marks demo'd stuff really similar to this years ago, on PS2 hardware and with an eyetoy. It certainly wasn't as "pretty" and precise thank this, but it was still an actual 3D mapping, not just predefined moves.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Lonely1 said:
So, I just tried that on that with WM+ and it does work, and the sword on Ghost Slayer rotates like on that gif... but, randomly, it losses connection. Looks like the lose (by design) WM+ connection isn't designed for such hard movements.

By chance, is there any correlation between the length of the movement and the occurence of the 'timeout' i.e. is a timeout more common with longer spins or motions? Is the 'loss of connection' like a reset?

iceatcs

Cruzader said:
Is this coming out today or tomorrow? I want to know details but dont feel like staying up all night.(9:30PM EST here)
Not worth, better wait for Sony Press Event tomorrow evening.

MGR

SolidSnakex said:
Here's a higher quality version of that gif

2r5c1nq.gif

That's going to be tough to do with the wrist strap attached.

I see many more destroyed HDTVs in the future.

Achtius

MGR said:
That's going to be tough to do with the wrist strap attached.

I see many more destroyed HDTVs in the future.

Isn't that why Sony is pushing motion control AND 3D TV at the same time :p

gofreak said:
By chance, is there any correlation between the length of the movement and the occurence of the 'timeout' i.e. is a timeout more common with longer spins or motions? Is the 'loss of connection' like a reset?

I'm guessing after a series of long motions it tries to auto recalibrate or something. In most games where you aren't going to be making multiple revolutions like that so quickly it's probably not noticeable. Anyway, by loss of connection did he mean the wiimote lost connection of the 1:1 mapping went bonkers?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
gofreak said:
No, it isn't a time out. It looks like the Wii-mote physically losses connection with the WM+ attachment, The game queries for it to be re-attached.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Achtius said:
Isn't that why Sony is pushing motion control AND 3D TV at the same time :p

Oh wow... 3D + Motion Controller = awesome. :D

Now that is something I want to see!!

And about the nunchuck thing... I think it will be wireless too.

Lonely1 said:
No, it isn't a time out. It looks like the Wii-mote physically losses connection with the WM+ attachment, The game queries for it to be re-attached.

Do you have the condom on? I know in that interview they talked about it being because the clips weren't strong enough since they didn't plan for a peripheral so bulky

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Zoramon089 said:
Do you have the condom on? I know in that interview they talked about it being because the clips weren't strong enough since they didn't plan for a peripheral so bulky
Yeah, I do. It's interesting that only that specific movement cause this, doing wild vertical slashes keeps working great.

Ploid 3.0

V_Ben said:
sold. bloody hell.

What the crap... What, that's pretty sick. I think I'd get one just to mess around with programs like this. The movie Big with Tom Hanks playing on the huge keyboard comes to mind when I think of how crazy this looks to me.

SamBishop said:
It's just weird to me that this is what I was waiting for when motion controls were first talked about. Instead, it eventually became simple gestures to replicate button presses for some stuff, which was going backwards from where we were with regular controllers. The precision and speed of this is making me all giddy and the fact that it's not just 1:1, not just running at a solid speed, but that it's all in 3D that's been truly interesting to me. Depth isn't really something we've seen being used aside from maybe some put-the-key-in-the-lock-and-turn-style actions, and when coupled with 3D...

Shit, I'm like E3 excited now.

Every dev that I've talked to about this would pretty much say the exact same thing: "It just works like they said." For whatever reason I thought they were either being coy or I just wasn't getting what they were saying. Now it makes a lot more sense. Examples need to start hitting the web and quick, because I think that and actually playing stuff will help quiet the "lol, it's the same as Motion+!" crowd.

Apparently this is what five years of R&D can produce. Neat.

Actually, it's something like seven-eight years of R&D for using a wand-and-ball device with the Eyetoy/PSeye.

Dr. Marks has been working on this a loooooong time.

A.R.K said:
I don't think it would be too bad as far as getting tired or anything.

Personally I wouldn't mind being able to aim with a cursor in Demon's Souls for bows, but I don't really want motion controls in it for things like swords and shields. A first person game like Red Steel 2 with a King's Field/Demon's Souls setting would be interesting though.

Haven't been keeping up with this too much, so there is a nunchuck-like device now right? Do both have an analog stick?

Top Bottom