• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne/Nioh - am I wasting my money?

jrDev

Tried Bloodborne and the game never clicked for me. Maybe I didn’t like the atmosphere and game design choices, is Nioh similar?

Colocho

Banned
I haven't played Nioh, but I was also afraid of playing Soulsborne games because of the difficulty, but after giving up a couple of times on Bloodborne, I gave it one more fair chance and boy am I glad I did. Let's just say the difficulty is blown way out of proportion and once you get it, it's one of the most satisfying gaming experiences you can possibly have.

I'm playing Dark Souls 3 now and it's also fucking great.

RevenWolf

Tried Bloodborne and the game never clicked for me. Maybe I didn’t like the atmosphere and game design choices, is Nioh similar?

Honestly I'd say their atmosphere and design are pretty different.

Nioh's atmosphere is obviously a lot more japanese inspired due to the setting. In terms of design choices, the levels I feel aren't as interesting, but the biggest difference is the combat.

Each weapon type in Nioh has 3 different stances (high, mid, low) with each stance having a different moveset, strengths and weaknesses. The two other big differences I feel worth mentioning is that Nioh has a mechanic where you can recover lost/spent stamina but doing an "active toggle" at the end of a combo or action, which allows you to be extremely aggressive.

The other big difference is that Nioh has loot in terms of weapons and armour similar to how something like Diablo or an MMO has, so you are switching out weapons that affect you in different ways. For example early on I had found a spear that had life leach properties, so I used it in the next boss fight to help sustain me.

If any of that sounds interesting to you then definitely give it a shot, but it just really depends on what you didn't like about BB.

Persona7

Banned
They toned the difficulty down in Bloodborne for the casual PS4 audience. Definitely a good pick for those who can't handle Dark Souls. The entire main game is pretty basic and I was able to one shot the vast majority of bosses. Some of the bosses in the DLC were challenging but it was too little too late.

They toned the difficulty down in Bloodborne for the casual PS4 audience. Definitely a good pick for those who can't handle Dark Souls. The entire main game is pretty basic and I was able to one shot the vast majority of bosses. Some of the bosses in the DLC were challenging but it was too little too late.

...what? I’m pretty sure Bloodborne was more difficult than Dark Souls for the average player.

No shields, no replenishable estus, faster enemies etc.

Would say its the other way around but I think its an either or thing for people.

I love Bloodborne's atheistic more so I would recommend it for people who like atmosphere and cryptic lore more. If you want a pure gameplay rush each encounter, maybe Nioh would be the better immediate choice.

gogosox82

So, Im browsing the PS deals and I see these two games on for quite a nice price.

Now I usually avoid thease games like the plague as the percieved difficulty levels put me off. But their settings and worlds are right up my street.

I should say I dont think im a terrible gamer or anything but I have never really played these types of games before. I just usually play games on normal mode and I play alot of RPG games (recently stuff like Horizon, Nier, Hellblade, Witcher, Shadow of Mordor, etc etc)

Im happy to die a bunch and learn patterns of bosses and stuff. But are they so frustratingly hard that more casual gamers like me will be wasting my time and money?

And if not, what would be a better starter into this genre? Bloodborne or Nioh?

Or should I just not bother at all and stick with my casual 3rd person action games, LOL

If you are willing to learn patterns then you can beat these games no problem. The difficulty in both is highly exaggerated. The punishment for dying is harsh but the games aren't really difficult.

Edit:
Persona7 said:

If that's true then why do threads pop up every 3 months talking how hard the game is then? The beginning of BB is probably the hardest in any souls game. The wolves on the bridge was probably a little too much because it stopped so many people from progressing. Plenty of people got stuck on Father G, Amelia, BSB, Shadows, and Rom. I helped so many people get past those bosses so I don't think its as easy as your saying.

So Im playing BB first, and Im loving it.

Took me 3 hours for the first area and first boss, took a few attempts to learn the patterns etc but got him down after 4 or 5 attempts. I know the difficulty will just get worse and worse but im loving the combat so far! Gotta be on your guard at all times etc.

Honestly OP it’s the opposite.

The starting areas are harder because you’re weaker and because you’re just starting to learn the game. With more power and experience the game becomes more manageable as you go along.

This is pretty accurate. Nioh shares similarities with Ninja Gaiden. Personally I struggled with bloodborne whereas Nioh I managed to get 2/3 the way through.

Both are difficult but I liked being able to choose play styles on offense by respec in Nioh.

Yeah I was looking at it from a newbie perspective as well.

Nioh is more ‘accessible’ and I don’t mean that in a bad way.

However things like the blacksmith system can still be intimidating for new comers... though the same could be said for Bloodborne I Guess.

Melchiah

The starting areas are harder because you’re weaker and because you’re just starting to learn the game. With more power and experience the game becomes more manageable as you go along.

It depends on the player. For example, a friend of mine got through Central Yharnam, but quitted in the following area. From what I've read, a certain mechanic in the last area was also a tipping point for some. Both of those, and the
Chime Maidens in Yahar'gul
were also hard for me. The same goes for the two bosses before that area. It takes patience and perseverance, and all players don't have them. Hell, many players don't even have the patience to inspect the Hunter's Dream in the beginning, and read the instructions provided there, let alone read the item descriptions.

alt27

The second boss was more difficult (The Father) so it took me a couple more goes than the first but it was a fun fight (the last phase was a bitch, LOL), but I wasnt really much more powerful than the first boss. I suppose I need to learn to farm some levels and gear.

RevenWolf

The second boss was more difficult (The Father) so it took me a couple more goes than the first but it was a fun fight (the last phase was a bitch, LOL), but I wasnt really much more powerful than the first boss. I suppose I need to learn to farm some levels and gear.

Honestly farming isn't really something that's necessary in any of the souls games.

If you'd like I'd like to offer a tip for his final form.
When he starts his wild rapid swings, fire your gun. More than likely you'll hit him during a parry window because of how rapid is swings are. Once that happens, he takes a knee and you can perform a visceral attack on him for massive damage.

The only time generally you would farm is if you are trying to upgrade every weapon you have or are trying to raise a stat that you've neglected all game for a specific weapon.

Persona7

Banned
If you are willing to learn patterns then you can beat these games no problem. The difficulty in both is highly exaggerated. The punishment for dying is harsh but the games aren't really difficult.

Edit:

If that's true then why do threads pop up every 3 months talking how hard the game is then? The beginning of BB is probably the hardest in any souls game. The wolves on the bridge was probably a little too much because it stopped so many people from progressing. Plenty of people got stuck on Father G, Amelia, BSB, Shadows, and Rom. I helped so many people get past those bosses so I don't think its as easy as your saying.

The opening area is so easy. I don't get the complaints. Literally breezed through it like nothing. Gascoigne is not difficult by any measure.

alt27

Honestly farming isn't really something that's necessary in any of the souls games.

If you'd like I'd like to offer a tip for his final form.
When he starts his wild rapid swings, fire your gun. More than likely you'll hit him during a parry window because of how rapid is swings are. Once that happens, he takes a knee and you can perform a visceral attack on him for massive damage.

The only time generally you would farm is if you are trying to upgrade every weapon you have or are trying to raise a stat that you've neglected all game for a specific weapon.

Yeah I was finding the gun pretty inconsistent honestly (really need to practice parrying!), so I was mainly rolling into him as he came at me, then getting a couple of back stabs behind him. Also urns and molatovs were useful!

Felt good to kill him.

RevenWolf

Yeah I was finding the gun pretty inconsistent honestly (really need to practice parrying!), so I was mainly rolling into him as he came at me, then getting a couple of back stabs behind him. Also urns and molatovs were useful!

Felt good to kill him.

Haha yeah I had tons of trouble getting parry timing down as well so I understand. And yeah rolling into bosses can work really well!

You definitely beat him a lot faster than I did my first time so I look forward to hearing about your future progress too.

Melchiah

Felt good to kill him.

I used molotovs against him on the first playthrough as well. It's better to move to the upper area during the third base, as there's a less chance of getting stuck in the scenery. On subsequent playthroughs I've parried him, and it works really well. To my understanding it's a bit easier with Blunderbuss compared to the pistol, but the pistol has more range.

RevenWolf

I used molotovs against him on the first playthrough as well. It's better to move to the upper area during the third base, as there's a less chance of getting stuck in the scenery. On subsequent playthroughs I've parried him, and it works really well. To my understanding it's a bit easier with Blunderbuss compared to the pistol, but the pistol has more range.

It's also important to remember that the pistol is faster on the draw compared to the blunderbuss. I don't know the exact numbers but to me the pistol feels at least twice as fast to lift and fire compared to the blunderbuss, so i generally just stuck to that.

Melchiah

It's also important to remember that the pistol is faster on the draw compared to the blunderbuss. I don't know the exact numbers but to me the pistol feels at least twice as fast to lift and fire compared to the blunderbuss, so i generally just stuck to that.

Evelyn is also good, especially with high Bloodtinge level and Bone Marrow Ash. It helped me a lot in the chalices, when I could deal with some enemies from afar, but I found it easier to parry the DLC boss
Maria
with Blunderbuss.

Toxi

Banned
The main advantage of the Blunderbuss is that thanks to the spread, you can't miss. I find myself missing a lot with the Pistol just because if an enemy is swinging down, the shot will often go over their shoulder. More obvious against smaller enemies.

Melchiah

The main advantage of the Blunderbuss is that thanks to the spread, you can't miss. I find myself missing a lot with the Pistol just because if an enemy is swinging down, the shot will often go over their shoulder. More obvious against smaller enemies.

I had the same issue with Evelyn sometimes.

Servbot24

Banned

Did you just grind and level up to infinity in the intro area or something? Because otherwise that comment is clearly bullshit. EDIT: Oh you must have meant killing them on the first try, not one hit. Lol

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

"Maybe"? What about the atmosphere didn't you like? Which design choices didn't sit well with you?

If you can't figure out/communicate what you don't like about Bloodborne, it's difficult to recommend Nioh or other ARPGs.

WGMBY

TBH I think any Souls vets have a easier time with their second or third game than they realize. The first is always the hardest, so I wonder how many people that bounce off of BB because of the high difficulty in the beginning are trying it as their first souls game.

I found BB to be a good challenge as someone who played the rest of the series before, but it never felt as difficult as Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, even though BB is a much faster game with much slimmer margins for error. It just doesn't feel as hard for people that have already come to grips with the basics of the souls systems.

gogosox82

The opening area is so easy. I don't get the complaints. Literally breezed through it like nothing. Gascoigne is not difficult by any measure.

You need to understand that not everyone has the skills as you do. There are plenty of people who get stuck on Central Yharnam. Either the city streets with all of the dudes or the wolves on the bridge. And Gascoigne is hard for some people. Again, just because he isn't hard to you, doesn't mean he isn't hard to someone else.

TBH I think any Souls vets have a easier time with their second or third game than they realize. The first is always the hardest, so I wonder how many people that bounce off of BB because of the high difficulty in the beginning are trying it as their first souls game.

I found BB to be a good challenge as someone who played the rest of the series before, but it never felt as difficult as Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, even though BB is a much faster game with much slimmer margins for error. It just doesn't feel as hard for people that have already come to grips with the basics of the souls systems.

Yeah I think most people don't realize that they don't have to fight every enemy and sometimes its smart just to run. The rep of these games being difficult probably doesn't help either. They probably think "well this game is supposed to be hard so that's probably why its like this" instead of just skipping it and coming back later like most souls vets know to do. Its a problem I see come up over and over again in BB threads.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Having spent 500+ hours on Nioh...buy BB first, then Nioh with all the DLC at a later date

You'll appreciate the 60fps and far more in depth and technical combat more if you play the comparatively slow as molasses and simple BB first. On the flip side, you'll miss the enemy variation and world design in addition to the more iconic boss battles(not to say Nioh's bosses arent good..)

Me while playing BB

putting-gun-to-head.gif

Loved Bloodbornes setting but I could never beat the boss of the first area. And having to rescavange for bullets and healing items etc really turned me off.

As for the beginning of it, it took me a couple of hours just to walk down the first real street without getting killed. Once you learn how to attack and dodge etc it gets better. Though I say this as someone who only experienced the first level.

Lol this was literally my experience with the game to a T.

1upsuper

I think the issue for a lot of people is that the Souls games don't play how they look. People see third person action and think power-fantasy, floaty Platinum games. In reality, the Souls games take a lot of cues from classic game design -- you have to slowly acclimate yourself to the controls, weight, and feel of the game. Once you *really* understand the games you can often go very long stretches without dying, but when you're just starting to climb the hump they require trial and error. You have to learn, and for a lot of people used to modern game design philosophy that thinks dying is bad and players deserve to win simply because they're holding a controller, it can be off putting. But for people who are used to trial and error they often click a lot faster.

Dying doesn't mean you suck or that the game sucks. It means you need to get better and earn your victories.

Leonidas

I stopped playing Bloodborne the first time at launch after like 18h or so, only got up to lvl. 40 or so and beat 2-3 bosses...

Started a second play through a week ago, started from the beginning since I forgot how to play/what I was doing and have pretty much mowed through the game with very few issues. I feel like I'm pretty close to the end right now. What helped me was knowing which stats to level up, I feel like I've cheated in finding out how to properly level up my character.

shimon

Dying doesn't mean you suck or that the game sucks. It means you need to get better and earn your victories.

And it's one of the best things in souls games imo. There's nothing better than dying to a boss couple times while slowly learning the patterns only to kick his ass eventually.

I never understood people raging after dying in this game. It's part of the fun ;)

And it's one of the best things in souls games imo. There's nothing better than dying to a boss couple times while slowly learning the patterns only to kick his ass eventually.

I never understood people raging after dying in this game. It's part of the fun ;)

Because in many games death is the fail state and it’s a hard mindset for people to break in order to embrace it as a core mechanic for the gameplay itself. Once people do finally understand that they can embrace the game for what it is and see what t has to offer without constantly feeing as though they are in a state of failure.

shimon

Because in many games death is the fail state and it’s a hard mindset for people to break in order to embrace it as a core mechanic for the gameplay itself. Once people do finally understand that they can embrace the game for what it is and see what t has to offer without constantly feeing as though they are in a state of failure.

If people know nothing about souls and go into it blind I can see that being the case.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
So Im playing BB first, and Im loving it.

Took me 3 hours for the first area and first boss, took a few attempts to learn the patterns etc but got him down after 4 or 5 attempts. I know the difficulty will just get worse and worse but im loving the combat so far! Gotta be on your guard at all times etc.

So so far, I think im OK with the difficulty level. I know its only the first area but Ive not thrown any rages (lol) or got annoyed at all etc, and have actually enjoyed watching my attempts get better, and improving my general skills on the minions.

The music is superb as well and the setting is stunning. Fucking glad I bought this, although Im sure the bosses get brutal later so hopefully I dont get too salty, haha

Actually you're pretty much in the clear, the first hours of BB are the hardest outside of some bosses you face later on. I'd say unless you suddenly get tired of the game (nah :p), it's pretty safe to say you're going to finish this.

Also make sure to play the dlc, it has the best boss in the game. Nioh is worth checking out as well if you're won over on this type of game.

It's nice to realize that a genre you blocked off for yourself is something you completely dig. I had that experience this year with Mario + Rabbids, never expected a turn based strategy rpg to be that much fun.

Nestunt

Start with Bloodborne. Its way shorter and more streamlined than Nioh.

But also play Nioh eventually. So much fun and variety. There are various incentives to not min-max and explore every skill tree as they give you great stuff throughout.

GLAMr

Let me just start by saying I'm a miserabld old prick who hates everything.

But I fucking love Bloodborne. It's one of my top 5 games of all-time, and possibly my favourite of this generation. The spooky Victorian Lovecraftian style really hooked me. The combat was fluid, exhilerating and rewarding. The story is a mindfuck which is an absolute joy to try and unravel. The difficulty isn't such a big deal as you can summon NPCs or players for almost any fight (I'll volunteer here and now to help anybody who wants to experience the game but gets stuck on a boss... Except Rom). I know the game gets a LOT of threads and mentions, but I honestly couldn't think of a game more worthy of such an incessant circlejerk. I realise it must be annoying for people who don't have a PS4 or don't like that kind of game; but it really is that good.

The game is by no means perfect. Yes, the difficulty curve is, well, more of a scrambled less than a curve early on. And there aren't a lot of weapons (though they are all fairly unique and worthwhile - Saw Spear for life). You will encounter some frame pacing issues. Clothing rarely matters. There are probably other flaws I'm just blind to.

TL;DR: Bloodborne is one of the defining experiences of owning a PS4 and you should definitely try it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
You're only wasting your money if you buy Nioh instead of Bloodborne. In fact buying Nioh in any situation is a waste of money.

Top Bottom