• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Odyssey digital = 51$

TheExodu5

Banned
No you'd need to make a new JP account for this code.

Wait....so what happens if I ever lose my Switch? I won't be able to redownload the game?

Why are people just saying to change the eShop region to use the JP eShop?

Starting to think this may have been a mistake.

No you'd need to make a new JP account for this code.
For amazon.jp yes, but not for the Switch?

-change existing Nintendo Account region to jp
-redeem code in eShop
-download game
-change region back
-have the game marked as purchased/redownloadable in your region eShop

SomTervo

Do we know for a fact that it is playable in English? Fire Emblems wasnt.

Yeah earlier in the thread someone confirms it

My nintendo account is set as Canada, can I redeem the Japanese code on the Canadian eshop?

You have to change your account region to Japan and then change it back after

Alternatively: just quickly set up a free new email address and then a free new Nintendo account (like your normal username/address but with JPN on the end).

Once you have the code, log into your new free Japanese account on the Switch, navigate the JPN eshop with Google's help, and put in the code there.

Once it's downloaded on your Switch via your Japanese account, any account on the Switch can play it, including your Canadian one.

Wait....so what happens if I ever lose my Switch? I won't be able to redownload the game?

Of course you can. Once it's linked to your account you can download it forever. Just log back into your account.

My nintendo account is set as Canada, can I redeem the Japanese code on the Canadian eshop?

You go to Nintendo's accoubt website, change your region from Canda to Japan.

Then you redeem the code.

Afterwards you can switch *snap* back to Canada on the website.

killroy87

You go to Nintendo's accoubt website, change your region from Canda to Japan.

Then you redeem the code.

Afterwards you can switch *snap* back to Canada on the website.

That seems way easier than opening up a second Nintendo account. Why do people think that's the easier method?

SomTervo

That seems way easier than opening up a second Nintendo account. Why do people think that's the easier method?

Every time in the future you want to do this you'll have to go through the Region-change rigamarole and then back again.

Make a new region-specific email address and account for each region you want to use, and keep a ledger of them, and you can easily and quickly buy from as many regions as you want at once. You just open the Profile on your Switch for whatever region, make the purchase, and bang you're done.

I've bought from US, Russia and Japan so far. Imagine now, instead of just opening up each of those profiles (which are just sitting there on my Switch dashboard), I'd have to go to the website two times for each one and swap back and forth. Especially imagine it in a year or two once there are even more frequent releases on the console.

Edit: and you can also play the game with ANY account once it's downloaded, including your main/default one. No loss of progress or benefits or whathaveyou.

killroy87

Every time in the future you want to do this you'll have to go through the Region-change rigamarole and then back again.

Make a new region-specific email address and account for each region you want to use, and keep a ledger of them, and you can easily and quickly buy from as many regions as you want at once.

Lol you just compared going to a website and changing location preference to something that requires keeping a ledger. You do you, but I'm fine this way haha.

Edit: and you can also play the game with ANY account once it's downloaded, including your main/default one. No loss of progress or benefits or whathaveyou

...would that not be true of the other method to? Why would it be locked to one account?]

Blam

You would just relogin to the account you made. But this is also assuming you're using eShop.

Make a new region-specific email address and account for each region you want to use, and keep a ledger of them, and you can easily and quickly buy from as many regions as you want at once. You just open the Profile on your Switch for whatever region, make the purchase, and bang you're done.

I've bought from US, Russia and Japan so far. Imagine now, instead of just opening up each of those profiles (which are just sitting there on my Switch dashboard), I'd have to go to the website two times for each one and swap back and forth. Especially imagine it in a year or two once there are even more frequent releases on the console.

Edit: and you can also play the game with ANY account once it's downloaded, including your main/default one. No loss of progress or benefits or whathaveyou.

Also knowing Microsoft's partnership with Nintendo I'd rather get this setup well in advance if they ever put a limit on switching back and forth between regions. I already have 3 accounts setup for different regions since it's so damn easy to make em.

Edit: You also can have all of them under one email using gmail's system with the + sign. Example being mynintendogames@gmail.com being your email just do mynintendogames+jp@gmail.com and it goes to the same place.

Also can do my.nintendogames@gmail.com (Just add a dot anywhere and it'll go to the same place).

Blam

Woah, what? I've never heard of this.

You can I'm pretty sure add multiple + signs into your email, and I know this is the same with the "." if you add it into your email. And if you use gmail filtering you can label all your Japanese emails, Nintendo all that into their own place by just filtering the +nintendo/jp and it works just like magic.

Camjo-Z

Was just going to get it physical with my Amazon Prime discount, but since this is roughly the same price and a day earlier... might as well!

iBlue

Last question, is the game going to appear on my Canadian redownload games? Or is it gonna stay on the Japanese eshop?

MTC100

Banned
Last question, is the game going to appear on my Canadian redownload games? Or is it gonna stay on the Japanese eshop?

I bought the Norwegian season pass to my German Breath of the Wild physical copy and it was added without any issues. I also bought Fast RMX on my Austrian account and when I switch zu my Japanese account and look into the eshop then I can see Fast RMX as already bought.

You buy games once and then they are yours, it doesn't matter which region you bought them from as they are essentially(probably) all the same games. I'd change my account country to Japan if I were you and then use the code in the eshop, change it back to Canada afterwards. You can only do this if your account has no balance though. -In the end it won't matter though, just make sure to have your Japanese Account linked to the system so your switch will recognize the game as bought. -if you remove the account, then the game will be gone too, it's Nintendos way of handling accounts, every account can only be linked on one Switch at the same time.

SomTervo

Lol you just compared going to a website and changing location preference to something that requires keeping a ledger. You do you, but I'm fine this way haha.

You're missing the point, and it doesn't really need a ledger. You can just use the same password across all of them but suffix the password, like add -jpn, -usa, etc on the end. Easy to remember.

My way: you never need to leave the Switch. You can access any store you want while lying on your sofa, in bed, etc. You can buy from any of them immediately and use it on your default account/any of your accounts.

Your way: Fine once or twice, pop to the website, possibly jump through a hoop, lots of fiddling and clicking in my experience - but if you do this a few times a year or more it's a faff and you can't just browse and buy from any store at your leisure.

You can I'm pretty sure add multiple + signs into your email, and I know this is the same with the "." if you add it into your email. And if you use gmail filtering you can label all your Japanese emails, Nintendo all that into their own place by just filtering the +nintendo/jp and it works just like magic.

And yes, this is a classic trick too.

If your email address is myname@gmail.com you can make another nintendo account but put in m.yname@gmail.com. Gmail doesn't care, it all goes to the same place, but you can be cheeky and have multiple Nintendo accounts linked to one email.

The reason I didn't recommend this is that certain tech-savvy systems and websites cleverly dodge this and tell their account systems to ignore punctuation before @s.

killroy87

For anyone who has done this with a game before (bought a Japanese version to play in North America), how does switching the languages work? You just go through in-game menus? Or does it change automatically? Does it mean that the name of the game on the home menu will be in Japanese characters?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I've just never done this before.

jts

...hate me...
If any of you guys are from Europe just buy off Amazon.fr or Amazon.co.uk. Price is about the same and you can redeem the code if you have an european account, without even changing regions.

edit: sorry didn't realise it had already been discussed and some people are having trouble getting it. Got mine a few days ago with no issue.

andy_lhc

For anyone who has done this with a game before (bought a Japanese version to play in North America), how does switching the languages work? You just go through in-game menus? Or does it change automatically? Does it mean that the name of the game on the home menu will be in Japanese characters?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I've just never done this before.

I believe it follows your Switch's language so it changes automatically.

N30RYU

Now that we are on it is there any thread were I can ask where can I find Fire Emblem Warrior digital cheaper?
Or a place where I can compare the prices of each eshop?

czk51 you are gona get charged before launch when they send you the code

Joey Ravn

Banned
Got the deal on Amazon.fr. Sweet.

Half an hour or so later, my phone rings. I was in the middle of my primary school class. Eight kids aged 5 to 10. Total chaos. I pick up the phone. A French lady begins talking to me. She wanted to confirmed that I had actually made that purchase on Amazon.fr. The kids continue screaming. She halts. I ask her if we could speak in English. My French is serviceable, but I wouldn't be able to answer properly to her if she wanted to ask me some elaborate questions, with the kids rioting in the background. She switches to English, only asks me if I had made the purchase and that's it. OK, thanks, bye!

Weird. I had never had someone from Amazon call me to confirm my transaction. Poor French lady. She must have thought I was torturing some kids.

czk51

czk51 you are gona get charged before launch when they send you the code

Thanks. So it goes, place the preroder, some time before launch it charges + get the code, download the game, then it unlocks 26 Oct 00:01 Japan Time. Correct?

The above post about getting a call has me spooked. I've just entered a bogus number.

Want it a day early so I got it from Japanese Amazon. I had an account from when I got arms with it. Hope all goes well be nice getting the game at 5am in kauai on the 26th. Plan on getting a cabana on the beach all day Thursday and playing this game chilling.

Chairhome

I am planning on buying three copies of this game (we have three switches in the family). I have Best Buy GCU, but the $10 reward certificate bonus is only good on the first copy I get, right? If that's the case, I'll get one digital from here. Thanks!

czk51

I've looked up the release date and global (I'm assuming rolling) release date is 27th. Amazon states "October 26, 2017 at 12:00 AM JST " but does this just mean code + download? That could mean that the unlock date is still 27th JST.

iBlue

Finally pulled the trigger and ordered it, now it shows in my account that i preordered it but i still havent received any email about my preorder, is that normal?

luckyjj10

Neo Member
Changing your region kills any balance you have so it is not good for those who buy eShop cards with discounts

I assume you just mean you can't use your balance in the other region. Not that it actually DELETES your old balance when you switch.

SirNinja

The recent Switch resupply at retailers seem to indicate that Nintendo expects Mario Odyssey to meet or exceed BOTW's own sales number however if the critical reviews are not favorable, Nintendo might have a hard time moving the expected number of units without an initial sales push.
If this game does not achieve and build on the hype that BOTW started, Nintendo may lose much traction it gained so far.

Since you apparently come from an alternate reality in which Mario games don't sell eleventeen zillion copies, let me assure you: Odyssey's going to sell very, very well. If you're at all concerned that it won't, you're probably also worried about whether or not the sun will rise tomorrow morning.

kahi

Funny, Switch is the only current gen system in my house that isn't 100% digital. Getting from Best Buy for the $10 reward coupon and 20% off.

GWX

Amazon.fr order seemed to go through fine, but I can’t find the preorder in my “game and software download list” nor have received a confirmation email. I dunno, this is weird.

Top Bottom