• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: "Solo is going the way of the Dodo" (in ref to huge budget Western games)

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Creating games for online gamers with big pockets may be more profitable but if publishers stop writing single player games there'll be less people playing games in total.
But here's the thing, they haven't stopped writing SP games. We're quite literally getting three of them on the same day in 9 days. Thing is, the big trend is no longer incredibly linear cinematic games because of the expenses required to make those AND the fact that they don't recoup a profit. Meanwhile, pubs are still funding episode games like Life is Strange. SP games aren't dead. They haven't been dead. There's just a larger trend of finding ways to entice longer player engagement. And part of that is through titles that focus on co-op and MP. Which, along with the fact that due to less games being released on average due to the death of traditional mid tier studios, would make it seem like at a glance through the doom and gloom glasses, that SP games are dying.

I can only assume he is speaking in regards to a potential implosion due to oversaturation, perhaps? Not sure though.
Even then he'd still be wrong.

PK Gaming

Thrash me if I'm wrong, but Witcher III didn't really have that high of a budget, yeah?

Single Player games can still succeed with a lower budget and graphical fidelity isn't everything.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Nioh is the most successful Toei Tecmo game, Persona 5 I take it one of the most successful for Atlus. Resident Evil 7 will be one of the most successful coop-less Capcom games. Nier and Crash Bandicoot shattered all expectations.

Means what? Tiny niche games can survive? Should EA care? RE7 did not meet expectations.

Crash is not full price. Is that the realm where single player games will live?

People responding with horizon sales numbers are missing the point. Is 4 million sales enough for a game in full scale production in a western country for 5 years?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That's also true of online multiplayer games that bomb in a horrible way. Lawbreakers anyone? Battleborn?
Good point. MP games aren't guaranteed successes either.
EA: "Look at Ghost Recon, PUBG and Destiny, what can we do?"
GAF: "But what about Nioh, Persona 5 and Nier!"
If you think those are bad examples of big budget games, there's always Horizon Zero Dawn, Witcher 3, Uncharted, Zelda BotW, Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein, etc.

I am looking forward to God of War, Spiderman, Death Stranding, Last of Us Part 2, Days Gone and the announcement of Horizon Zero Dawn 2.

Single Player experiences are here to stay.

Ahasverus

The ironic part about this is that RPGs, the once niche genre is now the only "immune" to this phenomenon. The genre really positioned itself with a high value Proposition.

Mzo

Luckily I already own more single player games than I can probably get through in my lifetime.

Shit away.

Article doesn't mention PUBG?

As far as I'm concerned, it's the new golden egg on the block and every publisher is going to be chasing it.

Will be awhile before we hear the true holistic picture of what happened between Visceral and EA. My only outside bet is the project was going off the rails and EA saw an opportunity to chase the latest trend.

That's also true of online multiplayer games that bomb in a horrible way. Lawbreakers anyone? Battleborn?

It's high risk, high reward. If your GAAS game is a hit you will make so much more money than a standard SP game. Not having to worry about another game bombing cuz that GAAS money will cover it must be a relaxing feeling for a company. 2K and Activision are possibly living that dream.

MoonFrog

Well, I don't play many huge budget western games so this in particular wouldn't affect me much other than to just push me deeper into the gaming environments I'm invested in.

If those also go the way of the dodo, I'm screwed wrt gaming.

I’m always disappointed when I see people counter this argument with niche games or games that may not even have really performed. We just saw news yesterday that dead space didn’t do it for EA despite 4 million sold. Is anyone sure horizon did well?

I think if you just look at the output if publishers over time, it’s clear where this is going even if single player games are not 100% omg eradicated completely.

Single player games can still have mtx and be gaas and other dumb crap.

Mass Effect: Andromeda shows that publishers aren't afraid to pull the plug on DLCs and expansions if the base game didn't perform up to snuff. I don't think Sony would let Guerilla spend 10 months on an expansion if they thought Horizon was a failure. Especially given it wasn't even announced until E3 IIRC so they had several months where they could have quietly canceled it.

Clockwork5

Rockstar has shown a way for others to follow. GTA 5 was an entertaining single player experience that was well worth the retail price tag. It was finished, it was polished and it was a good game. This was an experience completely void of multiplayer (always online) intrusion and all of the hooks, grinds and constant updates and patches that come along with it. They also released a multiplayer mode that was pretty bare bones but compelling enough for people to buy in to the service and give Rockstar time to flesh it out.

While I may not particularly enjoy GTA Online, I don't need to. I had my fun with GTA5.

Though I realize not all games are GTA5 and consumers may not be patient enough to wait it out in the beginning for less profound franchises, I think some of the success lies in the approach itself. If the single player game is great, people will want to stay for a while longer.

Think of a Horizon: ZD Online, that might be fun.

kpaadet

Thrash me if I'm wrong, but Witcher III didn't really have that high of a budget, yeah?

Single Player games can still succeed with a lower budget and graphical fidelity isn't everything.
The Witcher was also made by a studio located in Poland where cost of living is much lower than the usual places most video games are made.

Dyle

It's definitely slowing down, but there are still substantial developers working on these games, and there are good examples of these games succeeding. Cyberpunk 2077, Red Dead, Horizon, Uncharted/Last of Us, 90% of Bethesda's games, Days Gone, Metro Exodus, etc. The market for these games is contracting, but certainly not dying. While these big budget blockbusters are more rare, we're seeing more mid-tier games that generally tend to appeal to me more, so there may be some good that comes out of this.

dakilla13

As usual, GAF is missing the point. Did Nioh, Persona 5, Nier, or even Horizon for that matter even produce a worthwhile return on investment?

And as the article points out, Sony / Microsoft / Nintendo are becoming the only publishers that can afford to put out single player AAA games, since they are willing to take any losses to produce console sales.

All I know is, I do not buy multiplayer-only games. I really wanted Star Wars Battlefront, didn’t get it. I really wanted Titanfall, I didn’t get it. I really wanted Street Fighter V, I can finally get it next year with the Arcade Edition. If EA doesn’t want to make big-budget single player games, then they aren’t making them for me. And judging by the SFV threads, I’m not alone :)

Orayn

If solo goes, so do I.. have zero interest in multiplayer gaming.

Nobody's saying SP is going away entirely, just that it's going to split into hybridized GaaS in the AAA space and smaller scale and budget outside of that.

heringer

The Witcher is developed in Poland, though. Wages are not as high as in US.

JackelZXA

"Single Player Gamers Are Dead" naw not really.

On a more serious note its just that singleplayer games offer less ways to continually milk players after purchase. Theres limits to what sp players will put up with but mp gamers have loot crates and will spend money on essentially lotteries.

Of coarse ea would be turning away from sp games because theyre as greedy as it gets and wants more money than they ACTUALLY need. (Sacrificing user experience and developers wants for profits)

Singleplayer games still do well, theyre just not a cash cow so theyre not a business strategy onto their own like mp games are. Nier Automata, Sonic Mania, Persona 5, Resident Evil 7, Zelda Breath of te Wild, and Yakuza 0 all did super well (Mario Odyssey is just around the corner)

Single Player isnt going anywhere, its just that sp gamers arent as reliably whales as mp gamers are. If all they want is money, rather than making a product that will stand the test of time, then mp is the way to go. It doesnt mean one thing is going away when another thing inflates up like a puffer fish. (Gamers arent a monolith.)

I hope single player AAA games don’t go away. That’s the majority of what I play. I can understand companies wanting to make more money because game prices are static, but I’m probably part of the problem. I always find a way to buy a game cheaper, even at release.

Edit: I should clarify, single player games are what I mainly play, not necessarily AAA games.

The platform holders — Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo — are some of the only companies still willing and able to invest the exorbitant sums required to make these kinds of games, along with outliers like Take-Two Interactive and its Rockstar Games subsidiary.

One of these three isn't like the others.

Anyway, I'm in a rush but I think a big part of the problem is you've got devs like Naughty Dog, CD Projekt RED, Platinum (w/ Yoko Taro), Nintendo EPD, Guerrilla Games, etc. raising the bar and most western third parties have been unable to compete with them in one way or another. Whether that's story telling ability, visuals, game design or just creativity.

CD Projekt Red is a bit of anomaly if I recall. I think they get a large amount of support from their country's government.

As usual, GAF is missing the point. Did Nioh, Persona 5, Nier, or even Horizon for that matter even produce a worthwhile return on investment?

SE has been upfront about the unexpected success of Nier and is now moving full speed to build the brand as much as possible. I believe Koei/Tecmo has also stated they were very happy with Nioh's performance. Considering Persona 5 put Atlus into the upper tier of JRPG sales I can't imagine they are unhappy with the returns either.

Can't speak to Horizon but I would think the answer to the other is unequivocally "yes".

Aters

If you think those are bad examples of big budget games, there's always Horizon Zero Dawn, Witcher 3, Uncharted, Zelda BotW, Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein, etc.

Big open world single player games will live just fine, I agree. Uncharted does have multiplayer. Mario is Mario, I doubt EA will try to make their own Mario. Wolfenstein though, I doubt it will sell as good as GAF hope it will. If my experience in multiplayer games with strangers is anything to go by, the marketing will not do this game any favor.

Dysun

As I get older, the more I realize Nintendo and Sony are the real treasures of my favorite hobby. Hope they never change

Mivey

Single player games are like the PC market. All these nice analyst saying it's dead any minute, but it just won't listen. How stubborn.

Gamegeneral

It's almost like if you build your company around massively budgeted games, you lock yourself off from making money in certain ways.

Eusis

Probably look at the budgets and return and go "yeah, that's why they do that and we don't." Part of the issue is that those games are profitable but not to the extent EA wants, if not needs. SE is a bigger company admittedly but not as big as EA and lacking in sure successes, so it needs to be smarter with that base then it was last gen. And both Atlus (even with Sega) and Tecmo Koei are definitely smaller fish.

Crayon

Means what? Tiny niche games can survive? Should EA care? RE7 did not meet expectations.

Crash is not full price. Is that the realm where single player games will live?

People responding with horizon sales numbers are missing the point. Is 4 million sales enough for a game in full scale production in a western country for 5 years?

Sure sp games can be niche or at least never reach that high budget again. I don't see what the problem is with that.

In horizons case, Sony seems to be all right throwing money at that sort of thing for the time being. It producing a big game like that is somewhat like a marketing excercise as long as it's exclusive to their system.

Clauss

Weren't console games in general dead a few years ago? People are always saying things are dead or dying but they never really go away.

Declaring something "dead" while tailoring an analysis to an artificial narrative is just a boring way to spark an unproductive discussion. Enough people have already highlighted how daft most of the "analytical" claims in this article are. Sure, we might see a (imo temporary) rise in GaaS and F2P strategies in the AAA space over the next few years, but that doesn't mean that it will stick. It also doesn't mean that every publisher (AAA or otherwise) will necessarily follow suit, nor that we'll see a shortage of awesome linear SP games getting released during this dark age.

MoonFrog

Agree. There's always a lot of gloomy but completely premature predictions being made that never end up happening the way people think...
The thing is people see current trends as inviolate until something upsets them. That thing then gets adapted into the narrative and into common sense, but until it happens it tends to be unfathomable.

Now it doesn't mean something will happen. Sometimes decay does meet their "end." What it does mean is I wouldn't really trust conventional wisdom to predict a change if it were to happen.

Bumhead

Banned
I often think the videogame industry just needs to learn to differentiate itself. As an industry we just seem to constantly chase whatever the hot new thing is, but even that can lead to failures. Even in the (likely) upcoming chase for Battlegrounds rip offs there won't be room for everybody. There will be big budget casualties over the next 2-3 years chasing that same pot too.

Single player games aren't going away but some refocusing may be necessary.

Hari Seldon

The fundamental problem is that these ultra cinematic single player games like Uncharted are outrageously expensive to make, and in the end you get an 8-12 hour movie that people will trade in when they are done. It is hard to convince more than 4-5 million people to pay $60 for an experience like this.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I mean.. that's fine. Enjoy your new audiences. You'll lose me though. I'll keep gravitating to the Naughty Dog-style single player experiences that exist.

Top Bottom