• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's sickening people are showing their true color

caffeware

Banned
There is an unflux of new users.

What type of people do you think will be signing up in the midst of all this? (Apart from of course the people who signed up months ago and are still awaiting approval)

GAF will never be the same after this.

It will be better.

I've never seen so many anime avatars lmao. For people that don't like this place, they sure seem to care an awful lot.

They care an awful lot because this is #SonyGAF. Xbox One was on par graphically (/s) compared to PS4 and every time GAF posted a DF thread critiquing games between the consoles the Xbox Fanboys would go into full metdown mode.

A few Xbox fanboys were upset with the demise of "GAF" because of the XB1X launch and Xbox not being able to get its true moment in the sun, that only took 4 years. #DoubleGPU #SecretSauce

Full disclosure I game on Xbox before anything else.

Mooreberg

Shit posting and over dramatic account suicides will gradually recede from the front page. If enough people left, maybe it is no longer an all encompassing news source. But it wouldn't be too difficult to keep it worth visiting daily, or a few times a week. It's a video game forum, anyone with any sense of proportion (and perhaps no monetary interest in the site) isn't going to treat this like the apocalypse.

It's not surprising that people will try to take advantage of this situation. They smelled blood in the water and they pounced. Many of them, even previous mods, would love a piece of NeoGAF's userbase and revenue.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Shit posting and over dramatic account suicides will gradually recede from the front page. If enough people left, maybe it is no longer an all encompassing news source. But it wouldn't be too difficult to keep it worth visiting daily, or a few times a week. It's a video game forum, anyone with any sense of proportion (and perhaps no monetary interest in the site) isn't going to treat this like the apocalypse.

Mooreberg...now that's a name I haven't heard in a long long time.

Seriously. Maybe you post a lot on the gaming side (I rarely ever visit), but good to see you all the same.

StoneFox

I've seen other forums fall to internal drama and it isn't pretty. The fact that people are still posting here and have hopes that it will heal means that it will. If Neogaf was truly "dead", people would stop making the effort to post.

Offshoot forums will never be as popular, and I'm betting most will not last a year and will die to inactivity or people in-fighting.

People are taking advantage of Neogaf now, but they didn't become that way in a single weekend. These are built up emotions. Luckily other sites exist for them to go to once they get bored of yelling into the void here.

4000 followers on Twitter already and only a single post with a 1970's tv show theme...
Follows doesn't mean much, 30,000 for my page on fb never did

Will be like the split communities from teamxbox. Some will make home, some won't feel right. many will come back as weeks mobebakonf and this topic will be mostly gone, just like all news ever in history

Follows doesn't mean much, 30,000 for my page on fb never did

Will be like the split communities from teamxbox. Some will make home, some won't feel right. many will come back as weeks mobebakonf and this topic will be mostly gone, just like all news ever in history

Wasn't necessarily saying it was. Merely pointing out that as of right now, that's literally all there is to it.

Honestly, if you want to go to reset, great, if you dont, great. Why do you feel the need to announce IM GOING TO RESET SO ARE OTHERS?

Both forums will have pro's and cons. I hope GAMING AGE FORUMS will be games without the bullshit.

Mooreberg

Mooreberg...now that's a name I haven't heard in a long long time.

Seriously. Maybe you post a lot on the gaming side (I rarely ever visit), but good to see you all the same.
Likewise. I think you are a fellow traveler from the ezBoard days pre-2004. And yes, never much OT for me, I visit other sites for other interests.
Honestly, if you want to go to reset, great, if you dont, great. Why do you feel the need to announce IM GOING TO RESET SO ARE OTHERS?

Both forums will have pro's and cons. I hope GAMING AGE FORUMS will be games without the bullshit.
People enjoy being dramatic.

Norse

There is an unflux of new users.

What type of people do you think will be signing up in the midst of all this? (Apart from of course the people who signed up months ago and are still awaiting approval)

GAF will never be the same after this.

It'll be the people that got banned on purpose of course. Plus new people that just found the site recently.

As far as GAF never being the same....it hasn't been for a very long time. Not since the old Wii, 360, ps3 generation. And OT can stay gone as far as I'm concerned. I handle all of that stuff IRL. I come to GAF for gaming info/discussion.

Lastly, I think some of you think a bit too highly of yourselves when it comes to your perceived worth to GAF as a whole. Sorry, but I won't miss anyone who leaves as there are plenty of people here that can still post. And will.

petran79

Banned
I'll join Reset Era but I'll post on GAF too. No need to hold animosity, as long as forum war posts are avoided. I only hope it accepts gmail registration.

You know what I did learn in all this, politics and social stuff aside? The value of a good mobile layout. GAF mobile is a beautiful thing, as is Reddit is Fun. A forum without a great mobile user experience is almost useless.

Because mobile signal is crap where I live, I mostly use Opera Mini. GAF runs great on that browser and loads immediately.

Also browsing gaming sites and forums that on their own are better than GAF on a particular field/genre is exhausting and time consuming. GAF covered a little of everything.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

DrunkDan

Potentially this could work out for the better in the long run. Going forward there needs to be moderators that aren’t allowed to ban according to personal politics, or shut down opposing views simply because the vast majority don’t agree. A little more transparency wouldn’t go amiss either. A more open and honest process would make a huge difference.

We know this will always be a left leaning forum, and that’s almost certainly a good thing, but if it wants to be taken seriously then it needs to allow (within reason) people to discuss all viewpoints and curb the pile ons that occur in pretty much every thread. And in all honesty perhaps the loss of some of those constantly outraged posters isn’t a bad thing if it allows threads to flow properly instead of having every single topic ruined by the same small group of posters continually shutting down everyone else.

They feel emboldened. You have the obvious shit disturbers showing themselves and whoever is doing the banning doesn't care.

Potentially this could work out for the better in the long run. Going forward there needs to be moderators that aren't allowed to ban according to personal politics, or shit down opposing views simply because the vast majority don't agree..

Folks weren't banned because of opposing view points. How they expressed those views did.

korona15

Banned
Was thinking of nuking my account and asking for a ban. But figured I'd make some slight adjustments to my profile then continue posting about games.

Cannot wait to post my thoughts on Mario this Friday.

Schlorgan

Total Posts: 7,669 (2.03 posts per day)

Never been banned. Always been pro-gaf.

Losing GAF is depressing as hell, but GAF is dead, if you're still posting here your brain broke. GAF is done. Do not support this website any more.

If you were in the discord you would see all of the people who made gaf great, ready to make another forum great. What you liked about GAF isn't coming back.

DrunkDan

They feel emboldened. You have the obvious shit disturbers showing themselves and whoever is doing the banning doesn't care.

Folks weren't banned because of opposing view points. How they expressed those views did.

You think Bish or Beseda weren’t doing things like that?

What that doesn't seem right let's just check one of the other major threads and...

Gonna throw my 2 pennies in....

No more Trump threads.

No more LGBTQ rights threads.

No more threads about Colin Kaepernick.

No more PoliGAF(didn't participate, just read, but those were some knowledgeable dudes. Hate to lose that over some BS)

No more GamerGate threads.

No more Black man shot and killed by cops threads.

No more dirty cop threads(See Baltimore PD recent indictments of officers)

Basically OT will now be Sports, Movies, TV and Music.

PoliGAF had devolved into complete madness and was suspecting everyone of being a Russian shill. One thing I won't miss is PoliGAF, easily one of the most toxic threads in the forum.

Sounds like a massive improvement to the forums in my opinion, especially with regards to the Trump threads. Why there wasn't one dedicated OT to him instead of lots and lots of threads spammed over and over every time he said something was beyond me.
I feel like GAF wasn't really ever able to properly discuss any of these topics as it was, and so it just wound up making the overall forum a lot worse. Not to say that discussion of politics was inherently a bad thing. Just moreso GAF's handling of said topics and issues. The community didn't allow for any real discussion and the politics wound up creating an uncomfortable extreme form of bias.

Where do I sign?

Sounds perfect.

Mod this man plz

Perfect!!

Lets make Neogaf great again :p

I mean, some didn't even bother hiding it...

Faynwulf

Total Posts: 7,669 (2.03 posts per day)

Never been banned. Always been pro-gaf.

Losing GAF is depressing as hell, but GAF is dead, if you're still posting here your brain broke. GAF is done. Do not support this website any more.

If you were in the discord you would see all of the people who made gaf great, ready to make another forum great. What you liked about GAF isn't coming back.

Sounds great to me?
I've been on that discord and it is full of people standing for the worst side of GAF.
What I liked about GAF is coming back, videogame discussions.
Thanks for leaving.

What that doesn't seem right let's just check one of the other major threads and...

I mean, some didn't even bother hiding it...

Hiding that we just want gaming discussion plain and simple?

Yeah, nothing to hide here. Are you trying to assume otherwise? Because youre fucking wrong. End of.

Sounds great to me?
I've been on that discord and it is full of people standing for the worst side of GAF.
What I liked about GAF is coming back, videogame discussions.
Thanks for leaving.

Exactly.

I have my forum on my favourite football team which has an off topic side which I enjoy.

I come to neogaf for the games mainly. This will slowly sort itself out but off all the video game forums this one has always been the best.

As someone said on the sticky thread "I come to neogaf for the games not evilore".

weekev

Banned
THe whole situation is incredibly sad. Seeing people like Boogie and Pewdiepie celebrating is not nice. It’s like they brought the site down when it was nothing to do with them.

I’m really concerned that ERA is gonna be a total shit show too but I can’t stick around here unless Tyler leaves. I’m not saying he’s innocent or guilty but that’s 2 separate instances now so the amount of doubt is just too high for me to risk supporting someone who is probably a creep.

Feeling pretty lost right now. It’s sad.

You think Bish or Beseda weren’t doing things like that?

Got them receipts?

I'm 100% sure the mod team may have dome some bans due to personal distaste. Those that did catch those bans don't make up the majority of bans. Probably not even 1% of the bans over the lifetime of this site.

Sickening? Nobody owes allegiance to a forum. If they want to get out and do their own thing they can - and the reason is more than valid

As for me, there are some OT threads I want to stick around for but its not out of any sort of allegiance

Hip Hop

Got them receipts?

I'm 100% sure the mod team may have dome some bans due to personal distaste. Those that did catch those bans don't make up the majority of bans. Probably not even 1% of the bans over the lifetime of this site.

Bullshit

I'd say more than half their bans were bullshit

The only OT threads i ever visited was NBA and NFL.

Keep trying.

So you wanted that specific person modded so he could remove those topics you never participated in?

There is an agenda in what topics he specifically said, and an agenda to those that agreed. Especially those who only care about gaming, who supposedly never went to OT (or only a few threads that they could subscribe to and never have to see the OT forum again).

But by all means, continue to be intellectually dishonest and play dumb.

This sounds amazing
Another to the list above.

So you wanted that specific person modded so he could remove those topics you never participated in?

There is an agenda in what topics he specifically said, and an agenda to those that agreed. Especially those who only care about gaming, who supposedly never went to OT (or only a few threads that they could subscribe to and never have to see the OT forum again).

But by all means, continue to be intellectually dishonest and play dumb.

See and this is the problem (well, hopefully, was). Threads like Last Light, if you didnt join the lynch mob, you would be branded and cursed the fuck out and, most likely banned. What if i dont fucking care about the person behind it? What if i just want a good game? You tried to label me and others as "hiding something" and while i cant speak for others you dont know me, and you dont have a clue what i look for in a forum.

Just like now, we agreed that all of the flagged should be removed from the gaming topic. And apparently we have an agenda?

Yeah. Ok. Like i said, keep trying. Maybe just MAYBE we dont give a shit about all this "is my race/sex/whatever the fuck is represented in game or are my viewpoints represented in games bla bla bla" and just want to talk about the GAME?

I am a fucking minority and not once have i given a fuck that "oh wow why is my race always portrayed as a drug lord or scummy villian in my games" my GOD i simply dont care and PLENTY of us dont! We come here to talk about GAMES and thats it. Its not fucking hard to understand.

DrunkDan

Got them receipts?

It’s widely accepted that Bish was overzealously banning people due to his own beliefs in the end and Beseda had leaked PMs where he discussed treating people differently according to personal taste. Look it up. Regardless of whether you believe me or not it’s something that needs to change going forward if the site wants to be taken seriously. I’m not disagreeing that people were banned correctly most of the time but it’s the type of bannings I’m talking about that are the ones that generate awareness. That’s the nature of the beast, “when you’re good nobody remembers but when you’re bad nobody forgets”.

It’s widely accepted that Bish was overzealously banning people due to his own beliefs in the end and Beseda had leaked PMs where he discussed treating people differently according to personal taste. Look it up. Regardless of whether you believe me or not it’s something that needs to change going forward if the site wants to be taken seriously. I’m not disagreeing that people were banned correctly most of the time but it’s the type of bannings I’m talking about that are the ones that generate awareness. That’s the nature of the beast, “when you’re good nobody remembers but when you’re bad nobody forgets”.

Oh, I've seen them. And I agree that those with a bunch of mild bans over a long time are less of a problem then someone with big bans over short times.

The site was already taken seriously. It's why it had substantial growth.

You don't care for the reasoning it seems.

Xtyle

THe whole situation is incredibly sad. Seeing people like Boogie and Pewdiepie celebrating is not nice. It’s like they brought the site down when it was nothing to do with them.

I’m really concerned that ERA is gonna be a total shit show too but I can’t stick around here unless Tyler leaves. I’m not saying he’s innocent or guilty but that’s 2 separate instances now so the amount of doubt is just too high for me to risk supporting someone who is probably a creep.

Feeling pretty lost right now. It’s sad.

It is just a fact of life.
If it makes you feel any better don't click on any ads. I have never.

takriel

I still can't believe how many people hate GAF with a passion and describe it as a "left-leaning hivemind echo chamber."

Seriously such hatred is unhealthy and probably reveals a lot about yourself and your views.

See and this is the problem (well, hopefully, was). Threads like Last Light, if you didnt join the lynch mob, you would be branded and cursed the fuck out and, most likely banned. What if i dont fucking care about the person behind it? What if i just want a good game? You tried to label me and others as "hiding something" and while i cant speak for others you dont know me, and you dont have a clue what i look for in a forum.

Just like now, we agreed that all of the flagged should be removed from the gaming topic. And apparently we have an agenda?

Yeah. Ok. Like i said, keep trying.

Who's this "we"? Who said "hiding something"? I neither speak for others nor did I say you were hiding anything. I merely pointed out that there was a lot of celebrating about removals of topics you say you weren't interested or a part of.

I think its just harsh how people behave against the community all of a sudden.

Im not on GAF due to a single person, I lurked and then joined GAF cause I like the discussion and interaction with people all around the world concerning my hobbies.

Man, you call the suicide threads and garbage posts "their true color"?

We got juniors in every thread talking about how GAF is going to finally be clean, members that stayed inactive until now to post their anti-"SJW" nonsense, and old well-known members acting like nothing's going down.
Everything wrong with GAF is apparently their left-leaning, unfair liberal agenda because peeps don't agree with every thread that was in Off-Topic.

THAT'S showing their true colors. None of this bullshit.

orochi91

I still can't believe how many people hate GAF with a passion and describe it as a "left-leaning hivemind echo chamber."

Seriously such hatred is unhealthy and probably reveals a lot about yourself and your views.
Yup.

It's great that people are exposing themselves and promptly getting banned.

That'll hopefully ensure a return to (relative) normalcy much sooner.

Top Bottom