• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

HiResDes

NGL the Barleywine Reserve sounds like it's going to be really good. Not gonna camp out for any beer anymore nor can I justify the price so just dreaming really. Oh likely gonna be priced at like 59.99 and 3rd use barrel, big nope fuck that

That one is more like a stout to me with how dark and thick it is. Still damn tasty.

Yeah it's definitely as thick as a stout which I loved, but it also has that boozy sweetness that I associate with barleywines.

I'm glad to see more brown ales around, I just noticed Eagle Rock Brewing (LA) has a new brown ale out.

Had a tasting event at a friend's house last night, and tried eight different Jester Kings beers. That's some tasty stuff, with Fantôme Del Rey probably being my favorite of the bunch. Just lovely.

codhand

RIP Ratebeer

Last week, I was contacted by a Paste reader with something very interesting and unusual to share about RateBeer. It’s safe to call this person, a criminology professor with a background in quantitative methodology, something of a statistics geek. In the wake of the revelation that RateBeer had received investment/a partial buyout from AB-InBev back in Oct. 2016 without disclosing that investment to media or breweries, he wondered how statistics on RateBeer may have been affected since the autumn, so he set about to doing some research via the Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine.

One of the best examples is MolsonCoors, the Canadian brewing giant, which went from a Brewer Rating of 68/100 in Oct. of 2016 to a 93/100 now. In their case, a mere 1.4% increase in the total number of beer ratings somehow produced an insane 138.9% increase in total Brewer Rating. That one is straight-up statistically impossible.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...ings-on-ratebeer-are-broken--and-they-ha.html

id say you had a good run, but you didnt ever really.

Ron Mexico

Bit of an odd question but here goes nothing--

Taking a road trip to see my folks outside Knoxville, TN next week. I'll be down near DC and we're starting from there-- looking at stopping overnight in the Staunton, VA area. Anyone have any experience with Bedlam or any of the other breweries in the general area?

Ultimate plan is to swing through Asheville again, then down to Charleston, SC before heading back home up 95 to NJ.

Been to Asheville before ands I know there's plenty beside Wicked Weed so feel relatively confident there. Anything worth a stop near Charleston other than Westbrook?

All ranting aside, not overly concerned about taking anything home-- priority would be for good places for the better half and I to grab a pint.

Thanks all!

Bacon

Finally made it to Treehouse last week. They weren't doing growler fills so I was in and out in less than ten minutes even with the long line. Ended up with Green, Alter Ego, and Thirty Six. Green is just an outstanding beer. The other two were good, but didn't blow me away.

Glad I finally went to experience it though, seeing as I only live 2 hours away. It was cool to see all the happy people talking about beer and setting up crazy trades and I got a really cool beer glass as well!

Mitch

Banned
Finally made it to Treehouse last week. They weren't doing growler fills so I was in and out in less than ten minutes even with the long line. Ended up with Green, Alter Ego, and Thirty Six. Green is just an outstanding beer. The other two were good, but didn't blow me away.

Glad I finally went to experience it though, seeing as I only live 2 hours away. It was cool to see all the happy people talking about beer and setting up crazy trades and I got a really cool beer glass as well!
Sounds like good fun. Going to canning releases is always a blast for me. It's been a while, though. Hoof is releasing a collab with Stillwater this Sunday. Doubt I'll go, but I think it'd be a good time.

Man, that Birthday Bomb is the real deal.
I'll crack mine open on August 3rd. Excited!

This bar in Sandusky, OH is having a huge blowout party this Saturday. The tap list is looking good.

https://pastebin.com/raw/CygGtvfV

Robiin

Summer is such a dangerous season here in Norway. It's bright out 20 hours a day and I always feel like a cold beer. Doesn't help that the "good" brands (anything that's not Heineken/Carlsberg/Ringnes basically) are 40-50kr per 33cl bottle (yup, that's $6 for 11 ounces).

I started working at a gastropub recently so I've tried to expand my horizons when it comes to beer. I was always a pilsner/lager drinker but right now I love IPAs, and for lighter stuff I love a good Saison. There is a good Norwegian brand I've found which have a few of both. E.C. Dahls, they are owned by Ringnes (the biggest Norwegian drinking company, who are again owned/operated by Carlsberg) and cooperate with Brooklyn Brewery, so they only "pretend" to be small - but I quite like their selection.

My two favourites from them at the moment:

raina-bilde-768x1024.jpg

dahls_bottle_33cl_bolt_ipa_12_hires.png

There's also a great brewery called Lervig, who has a great Red Ale. It's one of the few Red Ales I've tasted but it's so good.

Anyway, for an actual discussion point/question. I have a few beer glasses but they are old and not washed properly. How do you wash your beer glasses at home? I know (now) not to use regular dishwasher, but is regular wash up soap (used for handwashing dishes) okay?

Robiin

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N0SNHY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Accept no substitutes

also Lervig is the shit.

check Haandbryggeriet, and Nøgne Ø too
Yeah, Nøgne ø is great! Haandbryggeriet I haven't tried yet!
Why wouldn't you be able to hand wash them with regular soap lol
Well dishwasher detergent is apparently way too harsh and at work we have a separate washer for our beer glasses, and you can clearly see when someone has treated them wrong. But regular soap is okay then? Thanks

J4g3r

Boy am I glad I found this thread.

I just cracked open a bottle of Brewdog's Abstrakt AB:22 and I need to talk about it.

Can I just like, skip every single dessert in life from now on and just have a bottle of this instead? Holy FUCK..!

Marmite, Burnt Toast, Dark Chocolate, Coffee, Vanilla, Raisins, and then the warmth of a good Whisky.

I've never had a beer as complex as this one right here. I'm actually afraid it's ruined other stouts for me - It's THAT good.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I am going with some friends on a brewery tour of eastern New York on Saturday. We are hitting up Suarez Family, Sloop, Equilibrium, Rushing Duck, and Industrial Arts. Not sure if we are really going to have much time, but anything else that is a must have in the area?

Also, our poor DD :(

Mitch

Banned
Just got a job at Platform Brewing here in Cleveland. Super pumped!

Going to be doing a variety of stuff there. Anything from canning to admin.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Just got a job at Platform Brewing here in Cleveland. Super pumped!

Going to be doing a variety of stuff there. Anything from canning to admin.

What's the goal, to get on the brewing team or move up on the admin side of things.

Just got a new job myself. Went from head brewer with ten years of experience to newbie where almost everybody else in the brewery has more experience than me. Very nervous about starting. Automated brew system, massive centrifuge, multiple 200bbl fermenters. All very new to me.

Mitch

Banned
Thanks Des.

My initial goal is to move up as an admin/production head. I have no experience brewing, but I have a lot of experience in the packaging industry as a whole. Logistics, inventory control, assembly, troubleshooting, etc. I think that will translate well into this new position.

My end goal is to one day open my own brewery or craft bar, but that's a pretty big dream.

I just wanted to get into the industry. Glad I get to start out at Platform. I absolutely love the people there. They're doing some awesome stuff.

My girlfriend may be getting a sales/sponsorship coordinating/event planning position at Platform as well. She's a perfect fit. Really rooting for her.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Thanks Des.

My initial goal is to move up as an admin/production head. I have no experience brewing, but I have a lot of experience in the packaging industry as a whole. Logistics, inventory control, assembly, troubleshooting, etc. I think that will translate well into this new position.

My end goal is to one day open my own brewery or craft bar, but that's a pretty big dream.

I just wanted to get into the industry. Glad I get to start out at Platform. I absolutely love the people there. They're doing some awesome stuff.

You sound like you will be an incredibly valuable asset to them.

How much of Beer GAF is also Home Brew GAF? I got in to home brewing in April and love it. I am on batch 4. I did a DIPA extract kit as my first brew. Then did a DME based NEIPA for second, then moved on to BIAB and did a all grain NEIPA which is currently cold crashing. In the fermentor is a blonde ale that I will be using for an iron brewer competition in august for my local home brew club. All I want to do is brew beer every weekend...well that and drink it.

Mitch

Banned
Once I get a bigger place, my girlfriend and I will buy a kit and start. Going to take a couple classes offered by Platform at their homebrew shop beforehand. I'd love to get a good stout brewed before Winter hits.

J4g3r

nice, ive had ab:13 (cherry whiskey stout) and ab:16 (coffee quad)

Oh man the Cherry/Whisky one sounds amazing, it's actually sad to think out all the others I've missed out on.

I went and purchased a couple more bottles of AB:22 while they still have it, going to keep a hold of them for a year or two and see how they change.

riotous

Banned
If a stout is in my cellar (which sits at around 60 degrees) I'll throw it in the fridge for ~30 minutes to cool off a bit. Maybe get it to 50-55 degrees F.

If a stout is in my fridge, I'll put it on my counter in my kitchen for a while to warm up, with the same goal.

Definitely prefer stouts not be too cold; but I like them to start off at least "Cool", then let them warm up a bit as I sip.

Lotto

How much of Beer GAF is also Home Brew GAF? I got in to home brewing in April and love it. I am on batch 4. I did a DIPA extract kit as my first brew. Then did a DME based NEIPA for second, then moved on to BIAB and did a all grain NEIPA which is currently cold crashing. In the fermentor is a blonde ale that I will be using for an iron brewer competition in august for my local home brew club. All I want to do is brew beer every weekend...well that and drink it.

Homebrewed 4 batches as well, me and my brother. Started off with all-grain right off the bat. I got a set up enough to brew 15 gallon batches but there's really no need to be that excessive. I just brew 5 to 2.5 gallon batches. Done 2 Pale Ales, 1 Breakfast Stout, and our latest a NE DIPA. We've basically got all our parameters in place except a temperature controlled fermentation chamber. We're probably going to build a Son of the Fermentation chamber, you can find instructions on how to make one all over homebrew forums/sites and it seems to work. I think our next batch is gonna be something lighter for the summer, or maybe even just start doing SMaSH brews since I have about 5 different hops just sitting in my freezer.

Also, stouts are great warmed up from cooling down!

Homebrewed 4 batches as well, me and my brother. Started off with all-grain right off the bat. I got a set up enough to brew 15 gallon batches but there's really no need to be that excessive. I just brew 5 to 2.5 gallon batches. Done 2 Pale Ales, 1 Breakfast Stout, and our latest a NE DIPA. We've basically got all our parameters in place except a temperature controlled fermentation chamber. We're probably going to build a Son of the Fermentation chamber, you can find instructions on how to make one all over homebrew forums/sites and it seems to work. I think our next batch is gonna be something lighter for the summer, or maybe even just start doing SMaSH brews since I have about 5 different hops just sitting in my freezer.

Also, stouts are great warmed up from cooling down!

Fermentation temperature control is my next goal too. I have an ink bird and a seed heating pad but I need a cool end as well. I just kegged my first all grain NEIPA batch tonight. It smelled marvelous. Can't wait to try it soon.

In Morocco for 10 days visiting my wife's sister and her family. Beer is available here but not readily so my brother in law has started homebrewing. We had his Mosaic IPA last night which was ok but he made a saison with ras el hanout (Moroccan spice blend) which was pretty fantastic. Got bottles of a Russian Imperial stout that he brewed with local figs and a Moroccan Strawberry blonde (with strawberries from their garden) that we're taking with us to Marrakech. And the two cans of 3-Way IPA I hauled with me from Seattle.

I am also super excited to drink all the crappy locally made Moroccan lagers. My SIL works at the American embassy so they have access to the store there which carries Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and St Arnold's Kolsch for roughly $18 a six pack.

We had his Mosaic IPA last night which was ok but he made a saison with ras el hanout (Moroccan spice blend) which was pretty fantastic. Got bottles of a Russian Imperial stout that he brewed with local figs and a Moroccan Strawberry blonde (with strawberries from their garden) that we're taking with us to Marrakech.

All of these sound amazing, especially the first two.

Had a nice coconut rye stout last night called The Patsy, from Barley Forge Brewing in Costa Mesa (CA). Never had anything by them, but I was fairly impressed. The ABV was only 6.6%, but it really felt more like 12%. The coconut flavor was interesting because it wasn't that rich coconut meat flavor like the Maui coconut porter, tasted more like the husk. Paired well with the rye.

Quazar

Owner died at local package store and now I can't get my usual Creatures Comfort Tropalcalia. I'll have to get it tomorrow from my secondary. I walked out with Wicked Weed Napoleon Complex, and I gotta say I'm digging it. They had a couple other wicked weeds but I stuck with this one. I'm in Georgia.

Wow, that is pretty amazing. I was in Alabama and found literally nothing to drink. Alabama's craft scene mustn't be too great )= their liquor stores only had bud and a few terrible IPAs.

Top Bottom