• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Boy Micro <3 Thread

Duster

Every time I see this thread pop up again I'm always tempted to hunt one of these down even though I know I'll only ever use it for a small handful of games.

It's not for playing, it's for taking pictures of

XSJ0iDT.jpg

blackandwhiter.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The thing was so damn cool, but I just couldn't play for more than a couple of minutes without hurting my eyes. I still loved the idea. If only the screen was just a tiny bit bigger!

SHarris78

I have no expendable income, money is tight, yet i've finally become one of the family...

ypiYPg8.jpg

3HrsiTG.jpg

Its soooooo lovely !! Bought it off Ebay, system is in excellent condition, came with box and all inserts which were in pretty decent condition too. Had a bit of a nightmare trying to find the correct leads to charge the thing (bought a stepdown convertor in the end), but i'm finally ready to play the thing. Bought a copy of FZero GP Legends to play on it, there is a boxed copy of Warioware Twisted on Ebay, but £60 is a bit expensive.

But theres more............
A day after I bought this, Arcadeshock replied to an email I sent them.......they had brand new never opened Famicon Micros in stock, so I nabbed one of those too, £130 including shipping to the UK. My wallet is in tears!

Well, I hopped in.

This thing is in basically pristine condition. Got it for $40 off of Craigslist, complete in box.

I feel a bit silly for saying this, but I had no idea this thing was so damn tiny. After experiencing the world of Vita and the XL, I was just shocked by how small and light it is.

I just bought one off of ebay almost a month ago for about $65 and it came with Kingdom Hearts. I was shocked at how amazing and vibrant the screen is.

Is there any place online that sells face plates for a reasonable price?

maxcriden

I just bought one off of ebay almost a month ago for about $65 and it came with Kingdom Hearts. I was shocked at how amazing and vibrant the screen is.

Is there any place online that sells face plates for a reasonable price?

I wasn't able to find any, unfortunately. The best bet was eBay where I was able to get one for $10 (and convince the seller to throw in a second that didn't get any bids for an additional $5). They're used but in good shape.

Wolfe

Well, I hopped in.

This thing is in basically pristine condition. Got it for $40 off of Craigslist, complete in box.

I feel a bit silly for saying this, but I had no idea this thing was so damn tiny. After experiencing the world of Vita and the XL, I was just shocked by how small and light it is.

Yeah it's like the definition of a (perfect) pocket system.

drspeedy

hoping GAF can help a fella out... I lost the 4 tri-wing screws that hold my GB micro case together. What size are they and where can I get more? Are they some variant of jewelry screws or hobby sized? Would anyone in the US like Radio Shack or a craft store carry these?

Backstory: I was cleaning a sticky R button, and despite putting everything to one side carefully, as I started reassembling I managed to knock the 4 smallest screws onto the carpet.They're gone forever.

I tried sweeping the area with my shop magnet, running through the carpet with my hands, putting a tissue over a vacuum hose, but no dice. These things are so tiny I fear my only hope is replacement. Doesn't matter to me if they're triwing or phillips, just want to put my micro back together!

Wolfe

hoping GAF can help a fella out... I lost the 4 tri-wing screws that hold my GB micro case together. What size are they and where can I get more? Are they some variant of jewelry screws or hobby sized? Would anyone in the US like Radio Shack or a craft store carry these?

Backstory: I was cleaning a sticky R button, and despite putting everything to one side carefully, as I started reassembling I managed to knock the 4 smallest screws onto the carpet.They're gone forever.

I tried sweeping the area with my shop magnet, running through the carpet with my hands, putting a tissue over a vacuum hose, but no dice. These things are so tiny I fear my only hope is replacement. Doesn't matter to me if they're triwing or phillips, just want to put my micro back together!

Online is your best bet, try some DIY websites like iFixit (or whatever) as they might sell replacement parts like that. Radioshack will get you nowhere as they definitely don't carry specialty items like that (I used to work there for a bit).

My friend is currently borrowing my 3DS to play Link Between Worlds, so I decided to find my Micro to play Minish Cap again. My god I love this system. I've been snuggling up with it in bed every night for the past week n_n.

drspeedy

Online is your best bet, try some DIY websites like iFixit (or whatever) as they might sell replacement parts like that. Radioshack will get you nowhere as they definitely don't carry specialty items like that (I used to work there for a bit).

Thanks for the reply- that started me on a little journey around the internet, and it turns out GB micro case screws are very similar in size to S10 eyeglasses screws- which are extremely easy to come by-pretty much any generic eyeglass repair kit will have them.

They're not triwing, and they're not flush with the case like the OEM screws, but they're a great fit and work perfectly in a pinch.

A8Xw3QJl.jpg

Hopefully this post will help anyone else who makes a dumb mistake like I did ;)

Wolfe

Thanks for the reply- that started me on a little journey around the internet, and it turns out GB micro case screws are very similar in size to S10 eyeglasses screws- which are extremely easy to come by-pretty much any generic eyeglass repair kit will have them.

They're not triwing, and they're not flush with the case like the OEM screws, but they're a great fit and work perfectly in a pinch.

A8Xw3QJl.jpg

Hopefully this post will help anyone else who makes a dumb mistake like I did ;)

Right on, I'm glad you were able to quickly find a good solution for that.

NR1

image-56.jpg

I just joined the Micro club! Got it off Craig's List in Dallas for $70. Got a 2nd faceplate that is "Flame". I wish I could have gotten the silver or black faceplate too, but I guess I will have to look for that later.

I've been playing a little bit of Yoshi's Island on it and I am very pleased with the screen sharpness and the headphone jack. I can't believe he SP didn't have a audio jack included.

NR1

I was at Game Exchange in Plano, Texas a few weeks ago and a mother and daughter came in with a Famicon Edition Micro wanting to sell it. I hanged back, and the store employee offered them $15!!!! And they took it!!!!

After they left, and they looked like they felt that they just made out like bandits with $15, I asked the store employee that I would be interested in buying that and asked the price... He said $80 to $100... I should have stepped in and stopped that trade. Absolutely ridiculous.

image-131.jpg

After years, I finally have joined the club.
My birthday was a few weeks ago and my friends pooled money together and grabbed me one. I have a few questions.

1. The previous owner carved "TY" into the back of it. I have the black model. Is there an easy paint solution or a way to get a new backing?
2. I read the manual to see what the charging lights mean, but mine will occasionally flash red, sometimes they will stay red and then go away- but there isn't a solid indicator telling me when to charge it. What do these random flashes mean?
3. Is the third party charger okay for the system?
4. Can I trust ebay for extra faceplates? Mine is a bit scratched up.
5. How difficult is it to break open and clean out?

Thanks in advance for the answers. I'm so happy to finally have one of these wonderful little toys.

LAM09

I never knew there was such a thing till recently. I might have to get one, but not sure I would use it to be fair.

jackal27

Banned
I bought a micro for $30 at the height of its failure. I loved the little guy, but the screws kept falling out and the buttons seriously cramped my hands. I ended up selling it a year or so ago to buy an ags-101 which I have been happy with. Still, I miss the little dude sometimes... It was so unique and strange. I probably should have just held onto it.

Wolfe

I really want to pick up an all black or all silver one at some point. I really like the Famicom one I have but how grimey it can quickly get due to the gloss of the paint job.

BooJoh

After years, I finally have joined the club.
My birthday was a few weeks ago and my friends pooled money together and grabbed me one. I have a few questions.

1. The previous owner carved "TY" into the back of it. I have the black model. Is there an easy paint solution or a way to get a new backing?
2. I read the manual to see what the charging lights mean, but mine will occasionally flash red, sometimes they will stay red and then go away- but there isn't a solid indicator telling me when to charge it. What do these random flashes mean?
3. Is the third party charger okay for the system?
4. Can I trust ebay for extra faceplates? Mine is a bit scratched up.
5. How difficult is it to break open and clean out?

Thanks in advance for the answers. I'm so happy to finally have one of these wonderful little toys.

1. The case is metal so it might be fixable but I don't know.
2. AFAIK the lights should be blue when you turn it on, if it flashes red for a brief moment then the battery is probably getting near the threshold for low, if they're steady red the battery is low, and if they're flashing (I think they do this, not sure) then it's about to die. I've found that sometimes nudging the power switch by accident can make the lights go red for a moment or stay red if the system was already close to low power.
3. Never used a third party charger, sorry.
4. I don't have experience buying them there, it may work but you'll have to hope they're in good condition. Also note that the official Nintendo faceplates are much higher quality and more durable than the third party ones, but I use a third party one on my system just so I don't feel bad shoving it in my pocket unprotected.
5. I'm guessing you don't have a faceplate remover tool. There are two holes on the left end of the system by the d-pad. Push something into those and it'll push the faceplate tabs in and allow you to pull the faceplate off. Be careful not to touch the screen while the faceplate is off. I would probably be wary of cleaning it with anything other than compressed air but if the screen is smudged or something you might have to find a way to clean that. I don't know what would be best since I've never let my screen be touched.

1. The case is metal so it might be fixable but I don't know.
2. AFAIK the lights should be blue when you turn it on, if it flashes red for a brief moment then the battery is probably getting near the threshold for low, if they're steady red the battery is low, and if they're flashing (I think they do this, not sure) then it's about to die. I've found that sometimes nudging the power switch by accident can make the lights go red for a moment or stay red if the system was already close to low power.
3. Never used a third party charger, sorry.
4. I don't have experience buying them there, it may work but you'll have to hope they're in good condition. Also note that the official Nintendo faceplates are much higher quality and more durable than the third party ones, but I use a third party one on my system just so I don't feel bad shoving it in my pocket unprotected.
5. I'm guessing you don't have a faceplate remover tool. There are two holes on the left end of the system by the d-pad. Push something into those and it'll push the faceplate tabs in and allow you to pull the faceplate off. Be careful not to touch the screen while the faceplate is off. I would probably be wary of cleaning it with anything other than compressed air but if the screen is smudged or something you might have to find a way to clean that. I don't know what would be best since I've never let my screen be touched.
Thank you so much. I assumed some of this but wanted to make sure before I move forward. Eventually I'd like to grab another one brand new in the box but until I find some money, this little guy is outstanding. I'm currently swapping out the Castlevanias, Metorid: Zero Mission, and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and loving every moment.

I am probably going to sell my Famicom Micro. It is a lovely device, but the screen is just to small for me. My vision is 20/20, but I prefer gaming on the AGS101.

RM8

My Micro is acting a bit weird... even if fully charged, sometimes the start/select buttons will flash as if it needed to be charged :( Not a huge deal, I guess.

vanty

My Micro is acting a bit weird... even if fully charged, sometimes the start/select buttons will flash as if it needed to be charged :( Not a huge deal, I guess.

Mine just started doing this. Turn it on, blue lights flash three or four times or whatever and within a minute I get red flashes at varying intervals.

Shaneus

This thread made me dig out my old Micro that I picked up aeons ago for a stupidly cheap price. Such a cool little handheld.

Cody_D165

Banned
Time for a bump!

There's a rad little shop on etsy I discovered called 8bitevolution who sell repro carts for various consoles and all kinds of cool stuff. While browsing their page I saw they were selling newly-produced Game Boy Micro faceplates, and, well, a short $15 click later, I couldn't resist.

zadb4zF.jpg

This thing kicks all sorts of ass. It even has the original Game Boy texture to it. They've got some more available atm including a Zelda one and an NES-themed one amongst a few others. $15 is a little pricey but I can assure you this was so worth it.

Fireblend

Banned
Time for a bump!

There's a rad little shop on etsy I discovered called 8bitevolution who sell repro carts for various consoles and all kinds of cool stuff. While browsing their page I saw they were selling newly-produced Game Boy Micro faceplates, and, well, a short $15 click later, I couldn't resist.

http://i.imgur.com/zadb4zF.jpg[/IM]

This thing kicks all sorts of ass. It even has the original Game Boy texture to it. [URL="https://www.etsy.com/shop/8bitevolutiongaming/search?search_query=micro&order=date_desc&view_type=gallery&ref=shop_search"]They've got some more available atm[/URL] including a Zelda one and an NES-themed one amongst a few others. $15 is a little pricey but I can assure you this was so worth it.[/QUOTE]
Those look like clones of the RoseColoredGaming ones except way more affordable. Hmmm... might have to order a couple.

Thanks for the heads up!

Cody_D165

Banned
Those look like clones of the RoseColoredGaming ones except way more affordable. Hmmm... might have to order a couple.

Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah, I'm not sure what the overlap is there but they look like the same designs. Maybe they both get them from the same manufacturer or something?

dcx4610

I had a jacket stolen out of my car while at the gym years ago and in the pocket...my Gameboy Micro :(

I loved that thing. This thread brings back bad memories but also makes me want to get another.

Top Bottom