• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Demo Impressions [Online Open To All]

JambiBum

I remember them talking about that, can't remember if it applies to certain combos or if it's a perk in the level-up chain for certain powers or what.

It isn't a perk, but, looking at the infiltrator chain one of the last ranks allows you to use one power and stay cloaked, instead of coming out of the cloak afterwards.

McNerdBurger

Neo Member
Something I realized while playing as different classes. Certain abilities don't effect the cool down. Take charge as a vanguard for example. You can charge and then directly after use another power, like nova, and then the cool down starts.

Same thing with Infiltrator. You can use the cloak and then another power while in cloak.

Yep, there is still a global cooldown, but certain abilities have exceptions. Nova depletes your shields, so it's cooldown is essentially your shield regen. This let's the vanguard use nova immediately after charge. High risk... but the prize...

rozay

Banned
This demo is pretty tough on insanity. That or I'm just not used to the controls yet.

You can heal squadmates ala gears of war now, but they don't have health indicators in the HUD (aside from turning bright red when they die. I guess they figured nobody really gave a shit anyway, but it would be nice if their heads at least dimmed out or flashed red if they were low on health.

I really wish there was a way to change the loadout on the second mission because adepts and vanguards running around with 4 guns have really slow cooldowns :(

Also yeah, grenades/cloak/tech armor/nova are all separate from the global cooldown. I'm also glad that they took out first aid and ammo powers, because it was really annoying to have to wait after using them in ME2.

JambiBum

This demo is pretty tough on insanity. That or I'm just not used to the controls yet.

You can heal squadmates ala gears of war now, but they don't have health indicators in the HUD (aside from turning bright red when they die. I guess they figured nobody really gave a shit anyway, but it would be nice if their heads at least dimmed out or flashed red if they were low on health.

I really wish there was a way to change the loadout on the second mission because adepts and vanguards running around with 4 guns have really slow cooldowns :(

Increase the operative ability that allows you to carry more weight.

rozay

Banned
Increase the operative ability that allows you to carry more weight.
but i want to spend my points on powersss

in the final game, since you can equip anything. the less total weight you have (each gun has a different value) the faster your reload and cooldown.

Chesskid1

Banned
if you complete the xbox 360 VIP training on expertzone, you get a free $10 (800) in microsoft points. NICE, already redeemed mine.

I haven't even tried it because I thought someone said that the demo doesn't support it. Yet every time I start it up it gives the kinect warning. I'll try after this run.

Yea I tried it. I posted my impressions few pages back:

And about Kinect, it's totally not for me. I was somewhat excited about it, but it's way more of a hassle than it's worth. And I found saying the dialogue out loud sort of takes you out of the experience... Also, I was having a lot of problems with Kinect thinking I said something (when I've said nothing) and at one point, it actually got Liara killed. I was flanking the turrets and then all the sudden Kinect thought I told Liara to run in front of the turret (no joke) and she died. Haha, pretty clear I wont be using this! I'd especially be afraid if it misheard what I'm saying during important dialogue choices...

Mindlog

Trial #3.
Difficulty: Insanity
Class: Vanguard

Charged at Atlas mech. Punched it in the balls. Mech proceeded to pick Shepard up and crushed him like a twig.

I had no idea this game has Dawn of War finishers.

rozay

Banned
Weren't BF3 owners supposed to get early access? Has there been talk of when that'll start?
BF3 early access is for the multiplayer on the 14th. As long as you registered your online pass in your account you're good.

Everyone else (including the expertzone users) get multiplayer on the 17th.

Nori Chan

Just wondering, but does this take memory from your past games? Like would some of the decisions I made in 1 or 2 show up?

Cause I don't want to play the demo, before I play number 2, even though I know most of the story.

Sai

Weren't BF3 owners supposed to get early access? Has there been talk of when that'll start?
Those who redeemed BF3's online pass will be given early access to the multiplayer portion of the demo.

A whole 3 days early.

... Wooo... :p

[EDIT] - Dang it, rozay.

rozay

Banned
Just wondering, but does this take memory from your past games? Like would some of the decisions I made in 1 or 2 show up?

Cause I don't want to play the demo, before I play number 2, even though I know most of the story.
It's completely separate from the final game-you can't save or import. None of the decisions you made in 2 appear in the demo but the guns you have are from ME2 and one of the characters you're helping in the second stage is a squadmate from ME2.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Unless I'm missing something, they've removed the Walmart option from the ExpertZone webpage.

When is the multiplayer supposed to be up?

single player demo is very lengthy. gives you a good idea of the upgrades of a given class. vanguard still doesn't seem very good! why'd I stick with it since ME1 :(

rozay

Banned
When is the multiplayer supposed to be up?

single player demo is very lengthy. gives you a good idea of the upgrades of a given class. vanguard still doesn't seem very good! why'd I stick with it since ME1 :(
what are you talking about! running into a group of enemies+nova+charging immediately to full barrier again is absolute rape. the loadout wasn't very good though, I imagine it's a lot easier to play when you have less weapons and therefore faster cooldowns.

what are you talking about! running into a group of enemies+nova+charging immediately to full barrier again is absolute rape. the loadout wasn't very good though, I imagine it's a lot easier to play when you have less weapons and therefore faster cooldowns.

In ME2 Vanguard was fine on normal, but when I played it again on hardcore as sentinel (my female shep) it was so much easier.

infiltrator just straight ruined ME2's idea of challenge

rozay

Banned
Wait a minute guys, in Sur'kesh is the game supposed to skip straight to the first checkpoint with the krogan female after you talk wrex down? I remember the leaked demo had more gameplay.

Mindlog

In ME2 Vanguard was fine on normal, but when I played it again on hardcore as sentinel (my female shep) it was so much easier.

infiltrator just straight ruined ME2's idea of challenge
With upgraded tech armor a Sentinel is pretty much indestructible. It's the equivalent to Mass Effect 1's immunity.

Vanguard is by far the hardest class to use.

Once you get used to it it's really great. The new sound effects are outstanding. Vanguard + Nova will devastate groups (leave no one standing or you will die.) Heavy melee' is great after impact. Singularity + Shockwave is great.

Wait a minute guys, in Sur'kesh is the game supposed to skip straight to the first checkpoint with the krogan female after you talk wrex down? I remember the leaked demo had more gameplay.
Another change:
Shepard no longer calls the Cerberus troops indoctrinated.

Did anyone capture the Atlas? I just kept dragging him back and forth to where his guns couldn't hit me. Hopefully I'll out how when I get the chance to play again.

JerkShep

Is the demo playable offline? I've used the shared account of the other thread but for some reason I can't access the demo without online connection (and the shared account :/)

rozay

Banned
Also they did a good job with the scale of the first Earth portion, but I was disappointed that the reapers don't kill you if they get too close, they just stop. If you look in the streets or the parks you can see tiny people running away.

Also they did a good job with the scale of the first Earth portion, but I was disappointed that the reapers don't kill you if they get too close, they just stop. If you look in the streets or the parks you can see tiny people running away.

Yea, the scale was great. But I feel the beginning started too abruptly, it would have been nice to have some simple missions before the storm. I feel like the entire game will be, "HOLY $@%^ THE REAPERS ARE ATTACKING!!!" and it might get tiring after 40+ hours.

Gambit61

Okay uploading the demo now guys.

It's at 7%

How did you extract it? I'm trying to burn a disc for a friend but burning the directories
Content\0000000000000000\45418987\00080000
to a DVD end up with the 360 just seeing it as a "Mixed Media Disc"

rozay

Banned
Yea, the scale was great. But I feel the beginning started too abruptly, it would have been nice to have some simple missions before the storm. I feel like the entire game will be, "HOLY $@%^ THE REAPERS ARE ATTACKING!!!" and it might get tiring after 40+ hours.
Agreed. The devs kept talking up "the trial of Commander Shepard" but it seems they cut it or it never existed in the first place :(

Pollux

Steps to get super awesome Mass Effect codes:

1. Create a Hotmail Account

2. Log into http://expertzone.microsoft.com

3. Fill in whatever name/address you want then put in Wal-Mart as your store and Retail Sales Associate as your job title.

4. Use Walmart's store locator http://www.walmart.com/storeLocator/ca_storefinder.do
To find your store's number and phone number

5. Submit your registration

6. Verify account through the e-mail you should get

7. Take Mass Effect 3 quiz on ExpertZones site by going to > Training and Resources > 360 > Xbox Games. You should see the quiz there.

8. After you complete the quiz, go back to the homepage and scroll through the panels in the slideshow and find the Mass Effect one to redeem your code.

Cheers!

So...do I need to create a new gamer ID to do this, or just use my existing one? I'm just not getting it. Sorry for being a bit dense...

Are these steps on my computer or on the xbox?

Vire

I read if you download this demo it only works with modified consoles, unlike other demos (like FM4 which worked on all consoles).

Hmm, I copied the entire Xbox 360 folder with all it's data and it seems to be working on my console on a fresh USB stick.

I certainly do not have a modified console as I would never support that.

pmj

How did you extract it? I'm trying to burn a disc for a friend but burning the directories
Content\0000000000000000\45418987\00080000
to a DVD end up with the 360 just seeing it as a "Mixed Media Disc"

You can't launch a demo disc like you do a regular game, instead you need to browse your games and find it in that list.

Hmm, I copied the entire Xbox 360 folder with all it's data and it seems to be working on my console on a fresh USB stick.

I certainly do not have a modified console as I would never support that.

Hum, weird. I got to a place with a download link for the demo but the person stated it wouldn't work on stock consoles... But if you got it working on a usb stick then great, I guess it's worth trying out.

Top Bottom