• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for a solo RPG with some pretty cool loots

Hazu

So I've been playing a few solo RPGs in the last few years, and my biggest complaint about them is how boring the loots are.

Most of the time, you get the exact same items with slightly better stats, which is really boring in my opinion.

What I loved the most about Diablo 2 was how great the loots were in the game. There was some real sense of progression as you got some better gear, but I just can't find a solo RPG that replicates the same feeling.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So I've been playing a few solo RPGs in the last few years, and my biggest complaint about them is how boring the loots are.

Most of the time, you get the exact same items with slightly better stats, which is really boring in my opinion.

What I loved the most about Diablo 2 was how great the loots were in the game. There was some real sense of progression as you got some better gear, but I just can't find a solo RPG that replicates the same feeling.

Divine Divinity is an amazing Diablo-like game that has some great loot. It can also be gotten for very cheap.

SephLuis

I'm not too much in the loot genre, but Nioh was a very good game overall.

There's a complete edition coming out if I am not mistaken, so it might be better to get that.

Varna

None of the Diablo style RPGs really do that kind of progression anymore. It's all about bigger numbers.

If you want a game that has some really interesting unique items try something like Pillars of Eternity. There are lots of items that make you want to build strategies exclusively around them.

Keinning

maybe PoE? path of exile not pillars of eternity
it will drown you in loot to the point of being a nuisance

I think Dragon Age: Inquisition has some pretty decent loot.

did it? i don't remember using a single dropped equipment. crafting was always better

Hazu

maybe PoE? path of exile not pillars of eternity
it will drown you in loot to the point of being a nuisance

did it? i don't remember using a single dropped equipment. crafting was always better

PoE looks awesome but my PC is broken right now and I don't own a Xbox One. I'll try it out for sure in the future though!

Dragon's Dogma has a ton of unique loot. Mixing and matching gear and weapons between classes produces a wide variety of cosmetic differences.

Tales of Maj'Eyal has awesome loot, you can find crazy stuff.

It is however a roguelike, although there are multiple life options.

Divinity: Original Sin games.

If you're on PS4, Enhanced Edition of the first game is available.

While the sequel (the GOAT) will be coming later, maybe next year.

Willenium

try Diablo ... 3.

Keinning

Divinity: Original Sin games.

If you're on PS4, Enhanced Edition of the first game is available.

While the sequel (the GOAT) will be coming later, maybe next year.

Is it confirmed that Divinity 2 is hitting consoles? Xbox as well?
I'm holding out the first game in expectation for the second. Don't want to finish it and then discover it will be the end.

Honestly Id go with Dragons Dogma remastered not just for the loots but the amazing combat.I've also been playing Darksiders 2 on WiiU there is some cool loot and items espefially boss drops but the game has many puzzles that are just time fillers.

Keinning

Nope. It has truly awful itemisation. Gear isn't unique or exciting and one of the worst aspects of the game.

? There is plenty of unique purple gear with their backstories and whatnots

But yeah they're not exciting, most actually kinda suck and you can easily craft something better, chuck some mods and runes and give it a funny name and pretty colours

Grim Dawn, an ARPG, is the only game I consider a successor to Diablo 2. There's also the expansion (Ashes of Malmouth), but it's not required to enjoy the base game.

There's plenty of unique items that modify skills, some strong enough to be the basis for an entire build. Plus even skill points are loot--in the form of the constellation system (basically, skill points you discover, rather than level towards). It's a whole lot of fun to mess with.

Loot is the plural form already. Loots sounds like 133tspeak or something.

Anyways, Path of Exile is my recommendation. Best ARPG I've ever played.

PoE looks awesome but my PC is broken right now and I don't own a Xbox One. I'll try it out for sure in the future though!
Why mention Diablo 2 then if you're looking for a PS4 game?

Borderlands: The Handsome Jack Collection would probably be your best bet then.

Dragon's Dogma!!!

I'm playing through Dragon's Dogma right now and I'm curious what makes you say this. The loot I've gotten so far has been pretty uninteresting, but it's worth noting I'm going sorcerer so I only have archistaves to work with.

It's definitely refreshing that I find more upgrades in the wild than in stores, is that what you mean?

Hastati

Grim Dawn, an ARPG, is the only game I consider a successor to Diablo 2. There's also the expansion (Ashes of Malmouth), but it's not required to enjoy the base game.

There's plenty of unique items that modify skills, some strong enough to be the basis for an entire build. Plus even skill points are loot--in the form of the constellation system (basically, skill points you discover, rather than level towards). It's a whole lot of fun to mess with.

is it closer to Diablo 2 than Poe? I thought that was a decent successor to d2, but if Grim Dawn is even closer I'll give it a shot.

is it closer to Diablo 2 than Poe? I thought that was a decent successor to d2, but if Grim Dawn is even closer I'll give it a shot.
I'd say yes. PoE captures the aesthetic of D2 better, but the items and skills are their own weird thing due to how PoE is monetised (through inventory, cosmetics, and respeccing(?)). GD is much more traditional, only with some good innovations in how you play.

Like, I dunno that I ever got far enough in PoE to glimpse its more interesting skills and items (I never spent money and got to like Act 4-ish on the default difficulty), but GD is filled with them even in the early acts.

The one big difference GD has compared to Diablo 2 is a set map. The design is always the same, bar a few specific dungeons. But to compensate it has many secrets scattered throughout its many corners.

Grim Dawn

I think it is. POE like Diablo 3 are more modern Hack-N-Slash ARPGs, whereas Grim Dawn feels closer to a classic one like D2 (though it feels even closer to Titan Quest for obvious reasons).

Ploid 3.0

Nope. It has truly awful itemisation. Gear isn't unique or exciting and one of the worst aspects of the game.

There are a lot of unique weapons in the game, crafting schematics are usually the best though. I'm more aware of items like Sulevin Blade, because of it's multiplayer mode though. Oh and there are a lot of unique accessories (rings, necklaces, belts) that are always useful unlike the weapons, shields, and armor. I really like the gear system, and I'd rather craft to fit my build than search for a rare blade. Currently I've been needing unique rings for my characters but I can live without them, would be nice to have though. 1096 hours in this game. DA4 needs to get here, though I'd rather they take their time and put their A team on it (poor Mass Effect 4).

There are better loot games out there for sure. I would be interested in single player loot rpgs though, most of the extremely good loot rpgs are multiplayer and arpg like diablo. I wish there were more solo with optional co op non diablo styled rpgs out there. Divinity is ok, but it's a turn based strategy phases rpg. I would never play that co op (time).

badflame

Banned

You can play some more pure classic RPG sagas like "Baldur's Gate".

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Divinity: Original Sin 2 is definitely a game where you immediately notice the power increases from new gear. Not a ton of memorable and "fun" items in the game, but very satisfying leveling up + gear gaining experience.

GK_Gats

Definitely Grim Dawn, the best hack&slash in years. POE is more about accumulating currencies to buy your stuff than actually finding loot.
The atmosphere in Grim Dawn is perfectly dark and gruesome, the world is wonderfully crafted, if you like Diablo you will love it.

J_Viper

The Dragon's Dogma suggestions have me confused. I've played through it twice, and never had a single interesting drop. I've always had to purchase new gear if I wanted an upgrade.

Anyway, sounds like Diablo 3 is what you're looking for, OP

ryseing

For all of its flaws, the original Destiny actually did a really good job of this. Legendaries with the right rolls and exotics were fundamentally different from the rest of the loot pool.

The Collection is stupid cheap and a good chunk is soloable. Hell, I'm sure there are still some crazy folks out there doing weekly raids. May as well give it a shot.

Giga Man

The badges in Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door are pretty dope. You get to upgrading your jumps, your hammer swings, your resistances, and you can even change the sound effects of your attacks.

Top Bottom