• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The French almost reviews Fallout 3 and hates it

Zzoram

stuburns said:
Is it not very similar though? That same awful character interaction/voice acting etc?

Faces look much improved, and the voice actors seem a lot better, according to the Gametrailers videos I saw recently.

saunderez

stuburns said:
That's good to hear, I might rent it, see if I want it. I was pretty much writing it off since I hated Oblivion and the videos out of E3 were shockingly boring. But the world itself does look very cool.
All I can say is give it a chance. Bethesda have tried very hard to stick to the formula of the original games (bar the perspective shift) and I think they have succeeded.

itxaka said:
Wasn0t the first fallout made by interplay or something like that?
They were the publisher.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Y2Kev said:
It's really depressing me that it doesn't immediately seem like they've learned a lot from Oblivion. :(
I agree with you on this, BUT why should they learn? Where is the incentive? Oblivion was praised critically and sold very well. Sure, it sucks for the diehards and for the longtime fans, but Bethesda has shown a level of success with this formula.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Mutagenic said:
I agree with you on this, BUT why should they learn? Where is the incentive? Oblivion was praised critically and sold very well. Sure, it sucks for the diehards and for the longtime fans, but Bethesda has shown a level of success with this formula.
I hate western RPGs but Oblivion is one of my favorite games ever. So I guess they must have failed somewhere. :lol

Zyzyxxz

urge26 said:
bout time I read something positive.... I just hope the overall experience can deliver something along the lines of Bioshock sans ending.

if you are looking for tight enclosed spaces and linear gameplay then this isn't for you.

Seriously I really feel like is Oblivion with a Fallout mod but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Oblivion had a great open ended experience but did not make traveling a hassle and the side quests were awesome.

I mean the evil brotherhood, don't tell me that wasn't fun.

When I think of all the hardcore-old school fans who just want another turn based game, seriously get with the times. I'm still wary but I will be waiting for this game with an open mind as I reserve my judgement until I play it

Zzoram

I am convinced that "Action" is the best prefix to ever happen to the RPG genre. Action WRPG and Action JRPG are much better paced, and way more accessible than the classics. Considering how much combat you have to go through, the much quicker pace of the Action RPG is preferable to the slow and boring grind.

itxaka

Defeatist
Zzoram said:
Faces look much improved, and the voice actors seem a lot better, according to the Gametrailers videos I saw recently.

Faces looks 100x better than oblivion. I remember one of my friends not playing oblivion because he could't stand the faces :/

Also, after seeing some streams for the game I only can say one thing. Awesome.

Looks like they learned A LOT from Oblivion. Of course is gonna get some bugs and everybody is gonna complain because is not fallout 2 HD but it looks awesome and it looks much fun than oblivion.

For example, one thing I saw on a stream was
A guy doing a mission on a metro station and found a corpse with a note/tape near with have nothing to do with his actual mission. The tape was about some package and a key hidden on the metro (could not understand it correctly as the stream was not hd quality :/ ) and they guy spent 2 HOURS sidetracked looking for that package while discovering some kind of power plant with zombies inside and a camp with some captives on it, that redirected him to some small city in the middle of nowhere, where they redirected him to some slave camp in which he used the karma to make the guy on the door to let him in.

So all of this looked totally natural, and missions/objectives/free roaming looked seamless.

Also, after seeing the Megaton video, it automatically gives the score 2 extra points :D

Yes, but a good portion of the team formed Black Isle shortly afterwords.

They were the publisher.

I'm confused now :/

SamBishop

Banned
itxaka said:
Wasn0t the first fallout made by interplay or something like that?

As saunderez said, Interplay was the publisher, though I suppose technically they did make it as Black Isle Studios was Interplay's internal RPG department, and host to one of the best runs of consistency and greatness in gaming history.

Excuse me, I... I've got something in my eye..

Zyzyxxz said:
I mean the evil brotherhood, don't tell me that wasn't fun.

The person who wrote all the Dark Brotherhood stuff is the lead on Fallout 3, and it shows; the dialogue if you choose to go the route of Mr. Extreme Dickhead III is absolutely priceless.

Mimir

SamBishop said:
As saunderez said, Interplay was the publisher, though I suppose technically they did make it as Black Isle Studios was Interplay's internal RPG department, and host to one of the best runs of consistency and greatness in gaming history.

Excuse me, I... I've got something in my eye...
Black Isle Studios didn't exist until after Fallout was published. Black Isle Studios was formed using a lot of the same developers that made Fallout, but there were also some major differences, such as Tim Cain, Jason Anderson, and Leonard Boyarsky leaving to form Troika.

Crayon

Pedobear said:
I hate western RPGs but Oblivion is one of my favorite games ever. So I guess they must have failed somewhere. :lol

There is some truth in there!! Also: I like both jrpg and wrpg. I thought Oblivion was rediculously stupid but could not stop playhing it. I was relieved when my savegame got borked giving me an irefutable reason to stop playing.

WinFonda

I've had it in my head that this game would be Oblivion re-skinned for the longest time. When I heard that it was coming out this year, and we'd only barely seen tine bits of footage from the game, I was stunned. It still looked like it was very far from completion. And the major combat elements (i.e. shooting) still have yet to look appealing. I'm sure it'll get pretty good reviews -- open world games generally do -- but I'm really not expecting much from this title.

bluemax

Banned
I watched someone play this at lunch the other day.

Terrible voice acting.

Terrible facial animations.

Third person camera seems to slow the game down, also terrible third person character animations.

Controls on 360 seemed kinda iffy but maybe if the person playing had done the tutorial, shrug.

VATS looks like a complete waste.

I'm still going to Gamefly it but boy did my hopes go down after seeing it firsthand.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The fact that that preview could be about Oblivion if a few words were altered slightly worries me.

Surfheart

Zzoram said:

The faces are a little better for sure, but the character interaction/VA/animation still feels very wooden and uncanny valley.

Still really excited to play it though, I put 120 hours into Oblivion.

Zzoram

Surfheart said:
The faces are a little better for sure, but the character interaction/VA/animation still feels very wooden and uncanny valley.

If it wasn't, it wouldn't be a video game. No video game does both animation and voice acting great.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
SupahBlah said:
Isn't the leaked copy a review copy anyway?
Well unless Take 2 decided to do something very special, only a retail version would be signed and would work on a hacked 360. So it's pretty safe to assume it's the final retail build.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Game sounds horrible but I'm still as excited to play it as I was yesterday.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Zzoram said:
If it wasn't, it wouldn't be a video game. No video game does both animation and voice acting great.
Half-Life 2, MGS4 and Uncharted did a good job.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RevenantKioku said:
Game sounds horrible but I'm still as excited to play it as I was yesterday.
Oddly, so am I.

itxaka

Defeatist
WinFonda said:
I've had it in my head that this game would be Oblivion re-skinned for the longest time. When I heard that it was coming out this year, and we'd only barely seen tine bits of footage from the game, I was stunned. It still looked like it was very far from completion. And the major combat elements (i.e. shooting) still have yet to look appealing. I'm sure it'll get pretty good reviews -- open world games generally do -- but I'm really not expecting much from this title.

The game development started on 2004. 4 years should be enough if they are using gamebryo.

Terrible voice acting.

Ummm, NO. 100x times better than Oblivion.

Terrible facial animations.
was too busy trying to read the subtitles with the shitty stream quality so no idea.

Third person camera seems to slow the game down, also terrible third person character animations.

Oblivion legacy :)

VATS looks like a complete waste.

VATS is awesome. At first looks stupid, but if you get a guy who knows how to use it's awesome. This guy sniped the melee mutants on their legs and shut off the big weapon (rocket launcher?) from another one to earn time all with VATS.
After that, he lay some mines and sit down to wait for them to blow up, while sniping (again thanks to VATS) another mutant in the arms so he could shoot him.

A.W.E.S.O.M.E. :p

MidiSurf

Banned
I really hope dungeons aren't too big part of this game. Dungeons after dungeons could get really boring really fast.

Zyzyxxz

itxaka said:
VATS is awesome. At first looks stupid, but if you get a guy who knows how to use it's awesome. This guy sniped the melee mutants on their legs and shut off the big weapon (rocket launcher?) from another one to earn time all with VATS.
After that, he lay some mines and sit down to wait for them to blow up, while sniping (again thanks to VATS) another mutant in the arms so he could shoot him.

A.W.E.S.O.M.E. :p

That's the thing though, I hope all the video previews are on super easy difficulty because VATS seems to make the game too easy

saunderez

MidiSurf said:
I really hope dungeons aren't too big part of this game. Dungeons after dungeons could get really boring really fast.
When the frenchy says dungeons he really means the inside of buildings, tunnels and vaults and perhaps the occasional cave. Without those you wouldn't have a game.

Zyzyxxz said:
That's the thing though, I hope all the video previews are on super easy difficulty because VATS seems to make the game too easy
Did you ever play the original Fallout games? You just clicked and if your stats were good enough and the dice went your way you hit. It's the same deal with V.A.T.S.

It certainly doesn't make the game too easy because you only have a limited number of AP. For bigger enemies you almost certainly will run out and have to fire off a few rounds in real time whilst dodging in order for your AP to recharge.

I haven't played Fallout 2 yet, but from watching the gameplay videos on this game, I really can't say I am interested. I don't know, the game just seemed boring.

eXistor

After all I've seen and heard about the game (oddly enough most of it veers to the negative side) I can honestly say that I am still 100% convinced this game will be awesome. It won't be perfect, but it will be super fun. I feel for the people that mind every little detail in a hyped game. Learn to see that games don't have to be polished to pefection to be amzingly fun.

During my 150 hours playing Oblivion it was getting more and more obvious what doesn't really work in the game, but all those things (and I admit there's quite a lot) added together didn't change the fact that I was still having a blast with the game. I still pick it up and play it for a few hours every now and again, just to roam the land.

I expect Fallout 3 to have a similar experience. You can complain all you want about stiff animation and ugly faces, both of which aren't gamebreaking in any way and if it is for you, then I feel sorry that you can't enjoy videogames like you're supposed to anymore.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Raytow said:
OXM also gave Dead Space a 6.5 :lol

complete and utter retardation. add this shitty review to the ign god hand review and the game informer paper mario:ttyd review as one of the most egregiously stupid in existence.

schild

Having played Fallout 3 a good deal, I no longer refer to it as Fallout 3.

It's simply not part of the franchise. It's a fine post-apocalyptic game, just not uhmmm Fallout.

I call it Trashland on my site and with my friends. As Trashland it's pretty great!

Edit: In summation: As Fallout 3, I give it a 5/10. It's soulless. As Trashland, it gets an 8/10. It's almost on par with S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Every time I saw a gameplay video of this, I was surprised at just how bad it looked. Not just some nitpicky bad, but like *really* bad - to the point I just couldn't get over it. I thought that if any of the anticipated 1st party games looked like that, they would have been cut to shreds on the internet. It's not much better looking than that new RPG game by From that everyone now (rightfully) laughs at after seeing what the gameplay looks like.

For all I know it still may be a fine RPG experience, but it does look pretty damn janky in all the gameplay videos I've seen.

Fonds

eXistor said:
After all I've seen and heard about the game (oddly enough most of it veers to the negative side) I can honestly say that I am still 100% convinced this game will be awesome. It won't be perfect, but it will be super fun. I feel for the people that mind every little detail in a hyped game. Learn to see that games don't have to be polished to pefection to be amzingly fun.

During my 150 hours playing Oblivion it was getting more and more obvious what doesn't really work in the game, but all those things (and I admit there's quite a lot) added together didn't change the fact that I was still having a blast with the game. I still pick it up and play it for a few hours every now and again, just to roam the land.

I expect Fallout 3 to have a similar experience. You can complain all you want about stiff animation and ugly faces, both of which aren't gamebreaking in any way and if it is for you, then I feel sorry that you can't enjoy videogames like you're supposed to anymore.

I think you're missing the point. These guys had the audacity to call their game Fallout fucking 3. It would have been fine if it was just a half decent post apocalyptic shooter with some light RPG sprinklings. But it's supposed to be a sequel to one of the best RPGs ever made.

The stakes are simply higher than 'not being able to enjoy some random videogame'. I can definitely do that, but this is something else, this is personal.

Pellham

Banned
Darkpen said:
yeeeeup, sounds like oblivion >_>

Makes me want the game even more. All this idiot french guy is complaining about is the graphics, when quite frankly the graphics are important but nowhere near as important as things like quests and RPG gameplay.

Timber

Fonds said:
I think you're missing the point. These guys had the audacity to call their game Fallout fucking 3.
The stakes are simply higher than 'not being able to enjoy some random videogame'. I can definitely do that, but this is something else, this is personal.
god DAMN IT I AM JUST SO MAD!
BETHESDAAAAAA you CUNTS do you hear me how fucking DARE you? DONT YOU SEE HOW MUCH THIS HURTS ME? after all these years it hurts just as much as on the first day! i cant TAKE IT ANYMOOOOREE

with every post like that one and people like schild who like to throw around meaningless numerical scores because "it's not part of the franchise" and "it's soulless", i become more and more convinced it's a good thing bethesda is making this game. god, i love watching the hopes and dreams of wrpg fanatics getting crushed and devastated and shot into oblivion (loooool)

Fonds

face0.gif

Big fan of Shadowrun?

Bethesda asking to see my screenshots in order to "approve" them...These factors, going from obnoxious to truly scandalous would have made my review biased or even dishonest.

This is something horrible done by company's and it has made me loss faith in reviewers,like any other dirty politician they can by bought,with gift and stuff not all of them,but several can and company's will try to do anything from stopping a bad review on their games,from doing what Bethesda did to send things to reviewers,and i haven't see a case of this but i am sure that also money is running under the table for good reviews.

Is like Payola on the music business where you pay DJ's to play your music the most,in order to make them look like people are asking for those song,or that they are hot,after playing GTA4 and Halo 3 it was easy to see,non of the 2 games deserved those high scores,games like COD4 and Bioshock did in my opinion.

Gelry

aka Bastiaan
Had it as a PC CE pre-order -> canceled because I got a PS3 from my fiancee (PC would be unable to run it.)
Had it as a PS3 CE pre-order and canceled that one too because I loved the Fallout 1 & 2 games too much to be disappointed by a possible "Oblivion With Guns in a Post-Nuclear Setting"

Now I'm just waiting until people I know loved Fallout as much as I did let me know what they think it's like.

Money Saving Mastermind plan, come to think of iet. :D

@above: it seems it has "locked level scaling", which means when you first enter an area, it does some checks and generates the enemies based on those. If you come back to the area at a later point in time, the enemies will still be those generated ones. Don't get why they would do this instead of just putting fixed enemies at a certain area all the time. I mean; just because I'm level 1 doesn't mean the enemies in the Big Bad Nuclear Facility of Doom will be weaker than when I would be level 10. Kind of ruins having a Big Bad Nuclear Facility of Doom. "Oh, he's just level 1, let's put the less fearsome members of our Faction of Evil out there so he has a chance."

Top Bottom