• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brawl In Cell Block 99 - A pulp prison/crime thriller from director of Bone Tomahawk

Anyone hear about this? It's getting a limited theatrical release this Friday and releases on VOD on October 13th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XnCP5ggpbI

After working as a drug courier and getting into a brutal shootout with police, a former boxer finds himself at the mercy of his enemies as they force him to instigate violent acts that turn the prison he resides in into a battleground

RT Critics Consensus: Brawl in Cell Block 99 rides a committed Vince Vaughn performance into the brutally violent -- and undeniably entertaining -- depths of prison-set grindhouse genre fare.

https://www.avclub.com/vince-vaughn-finds-his-inner-lee-marvin-in-the-terrific-1819107777
Gorehounds, too, will eventually get what they came for, as the so-called brawl involves less punching than it does skull-stomping and face-scraping. (Anyone with phobias about severe damage to the human head should stay far away.) The film's true target audience, though, is patient connoisseurs of highbrow-lowbrow combo platters who are eager to watch a modern Lee Marvin (yes, still talking about Vince Vaughn; really, you'll be amazed) navigate a slow-motion descent into hell. Settle in and luxuriate.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/09/brawl-in-cell-block-99-review-vince-vaughn-tiff-venice-1201876508/
For a little over an hour, ”Brawl in Cell Block 99" is a slow-burn crime drama that just so happens to star Vince Vaughn as a ridiculous muscle mass. After that first hour, Vaughn's outrageous physical appearance makes more sense: The movie devolves into a series of gruesome showdowns, with bloody punches and bones crunching, as writer-director S. Craig Zahler throws nuance to the wind and trades it for a grotesque, ludicrous prison fight movie that's certainly one of the more uncharacteristic projects in Vaughn's prolific career.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/brawl-cell-block-99-reviewvenice-2017-1034703
The writer-director sticks with the slow-burn approach, along with the gleeful ransacking of genre tropes, in his follow-up prison thriller, Brawl in Cell Block 99, even if the earlier work's off-kilter humor is largely missing. Still, the movie reinvents Vince Vaughn as a human demolition machine who's also a devoted family man, and it should find favor among pulp-hungry fanboys.
The title is somewhat misleading since it's less of a brawl than an intermittent series of bone-crunching skirmishes that erupt out of simmering crime drama.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The car destroying minigame from Street Fighter 2 gets a live action movie starring Vince Vaughn.

Seriously though I'm interested coming from the guy behind Bone Tomahawk and seeing Vince Vaughn like that.

I'm sure this will just be an uplifting and pleasant movie like Bone Tomahawk was.
troll.png

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Is this one of these limited in cinemas and direct to digital kind of releases or just cinema for now ?

EDIT - To answer my own question, theatres this week and VOD next week (Oct 13th apparently)

Is this one of these limited in cinemas and direct to digital kind of releases or just cinema for now ?

EDIT - To answer my own question, theatres this week and VOD next week (Oct 13th apparently)
Oh nice, glad to see it's coming to VOD so soon. Thanks for the info

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I thought the trailer looked a little goofy. That being said, Zahler's involvement puts it on my insta watch list. I'll definitely be checking it out when it hits video.

Saw it at Fantastic Fest last weekend - quality exploitation. Slow burn, rising tension then explodes into badassery laced with brutal head smashing.

I liked Bone Tomahawk but didn’t love it. This was quite a bit better IMO.

Saw it at Fantastic Fest last weekend - quality exploitation. Slow burn, rising tension then explodes into badassery laced with brutal head smashing.

I liked Bone Tomahawk but didn’t love it. This was quite a bit better IMO.
That sounds promising. Bone Tomahawk was a tad slow, but once it ramps up, it doesn't stop. But I quite liked the characters and atmosphere in Tomahawk, so it's good to hear that this is a step up.

Of course it helps that I love me some gritty gory crime thriller action

I love this new-wave of expolitation films that have the modern cinematic, "look", but at the end of the day have the same trashy (but awesome) stories from the 70's.

Felt that way with Don't Breathe and The Guest. This looks to continue the trend.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Just finished watching this with some friends who passed out within minutes. In their defense we watched It Follows earlier and its been a night of excesses but I digress.

I wasn't really interested at first but Vince Vaughns character drew me into the movie and how he handled situations. Things just keep going from bad to worse. Really depressing stuff but its a prison movie after all. Some really gory and painful looking executions which made me flinch.

Everyone's a scumbag in the movie, the main characters a scumbag, his wife was a scumbag, the mexicans were scumbags and the prison guards were scumbags (except the case worker and the guy who gave him candy I guess). But that's the point, the lifestyle they're portraying in the film theres no good people there.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Given how huge Vince Vaughn is and his voice etc., I always felt he would be great in the role of a bald badass killing machine. Looks like this is it!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
oh, vod, awesome!

BONE TOMAHAWK is a great movie. the writing! incredible. s. craig zahler is on my talent to watch list, so i'll definitely scope this out. i tried to read one of his books--wraiths of the broken land--and it was so brutal i could hardly do it.

HotHamBoy

Bone Tomahawk was one of the worst Gaf recommendations I've taken.

Awful movie (and not because of the one scene of extreme gore).

shaneo632

I didn't really like the washed-out visual style very much but Vaughn was great and THAT scene was fucking BRUTAL.

Not quite as vomit-inducing as the Bone Tomahawk T-bone but not far off.

Just watched it, holy fucking shit. One of the best exploitation movies I've ever seen, and Vaughn proved he's a legit actor that was being held back by the script in TD S2 rather than acting abilities.

Only major complaint was
the ending, at least allow us scumbag warden Don Johnson to get fucked up before Vaughn's inevitable death. I thought it was anticlimactic the way it went down, without him even trying to fight back.

Just finished watching this with some friends who passed out within minutes. In their defense we watched It Follows earlier and its been a night of excesses but I digress.

I wasn't really interested at first but Vince Vaughns character drew me into the movie and how he handled situations. Things just keep going from bad to worse. Really depressing stuff but its a prison movie after all. Some really gory and painful looking executions which made me flinch.

Everyone's a scumbag in the movie, the main characters a scumbag, his wife was a scumbag, the mexicans were scumbags and the prison guards were scumbags (except the case worker and the guy who gave him candy I guess). But that's the point, the lifestyle they're portraying in the film theres no good people there.

I'm really confused at how the wife can be considered a scumbag, and
Vaughn got himself into his situation purely because he's a good guy who wanted to save those cops lives.

Hjod

Banned
Bone Tomahawk is one of the most relentless movies I ever saw, so I'm so down for watching this on VOD.

Zahler’s next movie also sounds amazing. Mel Gibson and Vaughn cop movie? Day 1

The description is so hype

The script centers on two policemen, one an old-timer (Gibson), the other his volatile younger partner (Vaughn), who find themselves suspended when a video of their strong-arm tactics become the media's cause du jour. Low on cash and with no other options, these two embittered soldiers descend into the criminal underworld to gain their just due, but instead find far more than they wanted awaiting them in the shadows.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Just watched it, holy fucking shit. One of the best exploitation movies I've ever seen, and Vaughn proved he's a legit actor that was being held back by the script in TD S2 rather than acting abilities.

Only major complaint was
the ending, at least allow us scumbag warden Don Johnson to get fucked up before Vaughn's inevitable death. I thought it was anticlimactic the way it went down, without him even trying to fight back.

I'm really confused at how the wife can be considered a scumbag, and
Vaughn got himself into his situation purely because he's a good guy who wanted to save those cops lives.

She gets caught cheating in the first 10 minutes.

Adree

Just saw this and it was really great. Very slow build but amazing payoff. Shouted at some of the depictions of sudden extreme violence much like in Bone Tomahawk.

norm9

Rented this tonight. Oh boy, this movie is fucked up and amazing. Vince Vaughn is a singularly focused character. The stress and anxiety builds with violent punctuations.

Well worth the 6 bucks.

Zampano

This was pretty fun. Nice to see a different turn from Vaughan. But too long. The violence was pretty silly - people break apart like they’re Piñatas. Music also nice.

Bone Tomahawk was a lot better.

norm9

This was pretty fun. Nice to see a different turn from Vaughan. But too long. The violence was pretty silly - people break apart like they’re Piñatas. Music also nice.

Bone Tomahawk was a lot better.

I rewatched Bone Tomahawk again last night. It's got Cell Block beat with the number of interesting characters.

Cell Block has VV, Udo, and maaaaybe Don Johnson.

I think I'm going to watch Bone Tomahawk this weekend before I see Brawl. Both look great and I'm kicking myself for not knowing the director.

Jaraghan

Just watched it. Vince was fantastic in it. The gore was waaay over the top, even moreso than Bone Tomahawk. Very intense by the end, and a great ending. After Bone and Brawl, this director is quickly climbing up to my favorites.

Maridia

oh, vod, awesome!

BONE TOMAHAWK is a great movie. the writing! incredible. s. craig zahler is on my talent to watch list, so i'll definitely scope this out. i tried to read one of his books--wraiths of the broken land--and it was so brutal i could hardly do it.

Thank you for informing me that he's a novelist, as well. I've read a lot about his films and somehow it's never been mentioned, as far as I know! Can't wait to check one out!

Also, for anyone reading this who hasn't seen Brawl, if you're interested, I can't imagine you'll be disappointed!

Top Bottom