• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

General John Kelly is a bald-faced liar, told false story to slander Congresswoman

Yesterday, in his White House press conference, Chief of Staff John Kelly told a story about going to an FBI building dedication where Congresswoman Frederica Wilson spoke.

He said the following:

DMl6P3iX0AAGVh3.jpg:large

The Miami Sun Sentinel tracked down footage of the actual ceremony which shows that... nothing Kelly said was even remotely true. (In fact, Wilson wasn't even in Congress when the building was funded.)

In the actual speech, Wilson recalled how, at the request of FBI Director Comey, she worked with Speaker John Boehner and Marco Rubio to quickly pass a bill naming the building after two fallen FBI agents so it was ready for the ribbon cutting ceremony. The rest of the speech is her lavishing praise on the FBI and its agents.

Despite being caught in an egregious lie, the White House stands by Kelly's comments.

DMmC5rXX4AA8Kr2.jpg:large

SexyFish

Banned
What an asshole, like how do you defend this now?

This will totally help my "John Kelly won't be here in one week" prediction though.

studyguy

The fact that he's sticking to his position despite being completely and utterly called out is fucking wild. Administration's willingness to just outright take a bullet to the face for Trump and spin out absolute falsehoods, destroying his creditability in the process is par the course for most... But Kelly as CoS has always been painted as the adult in the room by media. Now it's fake news peddling top to bottom. No one is exempt, no one is clear, there really is no one reasonable in the administration holding the reigns, just varying degrees of awful.

Kelly is now officially a Trumpster and he know owns the taint of being associated with this administration.
what a disgrace.

I'm sad that he lost his son. All agree on that. But please don't make up fake news and pass as fact.

Draft

General Kelly is learning the hard way that sometimes people actually DO have the tapes.

Every Republican that wants a career post Trump should be paying attention. His taint is inescapable. He will humiliate and disgrace everyone involved in his agenda.

rjinaz

Oh my god she mentioned herself in a speech? And it was a personal recollection involving the dead? Definitely need to go on a rant about that!

How delicious coming from this administration, Trump can't go more than one or two sentences before talking about himself. Muh Election Numbers! Not too mention what he did at the FBI that one time talking about himself instead of the FBI.

darscot

Is there no consequence for the constant libel and slander coming out of the administration? Why do they just get a free pass on all of this shit?

This is so disgusting. Congresswoman Wilson was a personal friend of the Johnsons. She knew Sgt. Johnson since he was a child. He was in her mentorship.

She is mourning his loss along with his family and the President and his Chief of Staff are bullying her for being a part of his life.

hobozero

How? How do you go from needing to make a simple, heartfelt phonecall to a widow, to having the Chief of Staff calling a press conference to argue with a congresswoman about what she didn't say at a building dedication?

Is Larry David your president?

Is there no consequence for the constant libel and slander coming out of the administration? Why do they just get a free pass on all of this shit?

not for this administration, no.

the only thing important to them is getting their messaging out. we sit here and say omg they are a bunch of liars omgomgomg.

but the only people printing and talking about these lies, when they turn out to be actual lies, are the "liberal media"

the problem is, for most people, as soon as one of these fucks tells a lie, its instantly true.

the message is out
the audience heard it and likes the way it sounds
the lie is now true

If you join team Trump you have absolutely no choice but to lie about things which are provably false.

Maybe not everyone understood that they were making that choice when they joined team Trump, but it's clear as day now. Trump expects complete loyalty. Trump will demand they make false claims. That's it.

I have no empathy for anyone on team Trump because this is the job they continue to willingly do.

Slandering a congresswoman for proving the President wrong and catching him in a lie, with another lie... it's just fat for the base.

And it does them no good long term thankfully, but it sure as shit hurts my brain in the meantime.

I love how this has all just proven that Congresswoman Wilson has a very good memory for things. If anything she looks like a more reliable witness to the 'Knew what he was signing up for' phone call now than she did before Kelly got involved.

And we know Trump made him get involved.

RDreamer

I hope this means we can stop pretending Kelly is an adult in the room and not an outright piece of shit. No matter how you slice it, Trump has been pretty objectively worse since Kelly hopped on board compared to with Preibus. There's no moderating adult presence there at all.

darscot

not for this administration, no.

the only thing important to them is getting their messaging out. we sit here and say omg they are a bunch of liars omgomgomg.

but the only people printing and talking about these lies, when they turn out to be actual lies, are the "liberal media"

the problem is, for most people, as soon as one of these fucks tells a lie, its instantly true.

the message is out
the audience heard it and likes the way it sounds
the lie is now true

I'm not American and I honestly wonder is there no laws or any type of safeguard in your system. Do you even have the concept of "The leader of the opposition" because you need one.

They doubled down. Their response is in the OP

Trump and by proxy his admin, are of the mindset that you never ever apologize. Trump's mentor convinced him of this.

Expecting him to apologize for anything, is at this point insane. Though we should continue to criticize him for never doing it.

He still hasn't apologized for lying about Obama wire tapping him. Or you know, saying that he was born in Kenya.

norm9

I'm not American and I honestly wonder is there no laws or any type of safeguard in your system. Do you even have the concept of "The leader of the opposition" because you need one.

Our leaders of the opposition too busy with purity tests and eating each other.

It's bizarre. What the fuck is so wrong with the people in this godforsaken administration that they have such a problem with the truth? Politics aside. They not only don't give a shit about the truth, I don't think they would recognize it.

Vena

Pretty sure this falls under the US Defamation Laws, its on recording no less.

Why did they think lying about this was a good idea? Did they think no one had a recording?

conpfreak

"The best people." Good on CNN for keep this a top story during the afternoon to expose how the administration continues to lie about this whole situation.

It's bizarre. What the fuck is so wrong with the people in this godforsaken administration that they have such a problem with the truth? Politics aside. They not only don't give a shit about the truth, I don't think they would recognize it.

Trump didn't have to tell the truth to get elected, so why would he start telling the truth now?

Surfinn

Trump and by proxy his admin, are of the mindset that you never ever apologize. Trump's mentor convinced him of this.

Expecting him to apologize for anything, is at this point insane. Though we should continue to criticize him for never doing it.

He still hasn't apologized for lying about Obama wire tapping him. Or you know, saying that he was born in Kenya.
What's worse is that Trump and his goons have realized.. hey! We actually don't NEED to apologize.

When there's no consequences for being terrible and lacking integrity

There's no motivation to ever change, or even make any legitimate effort to LOOK like you're trying

PJV3

They just can't stop digging themselves deeper, Jesus, just say sorry like any normal fucking person.

darscot

Our leaders of the opposition too busy with purity tests and eating each other.

Is it normal that no one knows the person's name? As a Canadian we are pretty current on American politics but I have never even heard the person's name.

why yes, we did have something to fight against this

The Fairness Doctrine was a policy of the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC), introduced in 1949, that required the holders of broadcast licenses both to present controversial issues of public importance and to do so in a manner that was — in the Commission's view — honest, equitable, and balanced.

Guess who hated it and played a fairly big part in getting it revoked? I'll give you a hint. Fox news is like it is for a reason.

Top Bottom