• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Memes you're getting tired of

Status
Not open for further replies.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Cyrillus said:
I'm tired of people over-using the term meme outside the internet.

Wait, let me get this straight. People say meme outside of the internet? I've never heard anybody ever say it.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Chan faces aren't a meme, they're more of a story-telling device now. The difference between the faces and everything else listed in this thread is that the faces themselves are not the punchline, they're the medium. They're an easy to use shorthand to tell different jokes.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
None of them actually. I hardly see them unless I go out and look for them.

I love me some troll face tho.

Cyrillus

lethial said:
Wait, let me get this straight. People say meme outside of the internet? I've never heard anybody ever say it.
I have very geeky friends. :-(

Also, I had a professor last semester use the term meme to discuss the "culture of today's youth."

A couple weeks ago, my mom actually said it to me. "I finally found out what LOLcats is! These 'memes' things are great!"
...I actually shuddered.

EDIT: Forgot to quote, oops.

the only ones I really hate seeing are those motivational poster ones. They are only used by people that have no idea how humor works.

humorous image
big text explaining the image
smaller text explaining the explanation

edit: oh, I also get tired of "fail" and "epic"

Blair

Banned
Smision said:
yeah, it has a formula.

huge karma =
--shocking news title (preferably something negative about a conservative politician, reddit is liberal to a serious fault and makes me pretty sad for the left.)
--any portal reference
--My girlfriend knitted me a [insert nerd reference here, but preferably a portal reference]
--fake/photoshopped facebook conversation (these are the worst...like something an idiot family member would forward you)
--Catch-all: look at what's popular, create a dumb spin on it, post to imgur, submit to reddit

then the comments section is all puns.

and there's a general air of people thinking they're nerdy and smart on the site and that it's much different than digg and youtube.

i could print screen this post, upload to imgur and get front page of reddit within the hour

kharma45

Treefingers said:
I FUCKING HATE every top comment of every YouTube video being "X number of people __________" where X is the number of people who disliked it.

This, fucking this x100000. I actually want the people who write this on videos to suffer somehow.

Blackheim

Treefingers said:
I FUCKING HATE every top comment of every YouTube video being "X number of people __________" where X is the number of people who disliked it.

I've only laughed at one of these types of comments. It was on a Twisted Sister video for the song, 'You Can't Stop Rock 'N' Roll'. The comment was something like, "7 people tried to stop rock and roll" with 7 Dislikes for the video heh.

Rorschach said:
gicSyLM.gif

or

mahrshawnlynchnegged.gif
Perfect.

I usually don't get tired on memes, but I appreciate them more when people are more creative with the material.

"My body is ready" plus Reggie's picture doesn't make me laugh. This one however ...

J2MeL.jpg

Pirabear

Banned
Treefingers said:

This. In fact, pretty much every Youtube comment with the intent to get likes is awful.

"____ people are Justin Beiber fans"
"Video sucks after (end of video timer)"
"I like the part where (says scene that was repeated constantly in the video"
"You say Lady Gaga, I say Metallica, etc, etc, etc. Like this if you still like real music"

Luminate said:
This. In fact, pretty much every Youtube comment with the intent to get likes is awful.

"____ people are Justin Beiber fans"
"Video sucks after (end of video timer)"
"I like the part where (says scene that was repeated constantly in the video"
"You say Lady Gaga, I say Metallica, etc, etc, etc. Like this if you still like real music"

It's like the only artists they know from this generation is Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, and Justin Bieber. No wonder their view of modern music is heavily skewed. Every time I see comments like that, I expect it to be some 14 year old trying to gain cool points with the older people.

Puddles

Banned
The whole "Lady Gaga is a super-talented songwriter/outstanding musician" meme.

I get that the shit she puts out clicks with some people. Fuck it, I liked Just Dance and Alejandro. But I'm not going to pretend that she's anything more than an average musician at best. It's nice that she plays the piano, but she's no fucking Elton John up there.

She puts out decent pop songs, like Katy Perry or Rihanna. Why the fuck do people have to pretend she's more than that? She has quote from Letters to a Young Poet tattooed on her arm? I bet the guys who wrote Transformers 2 also read Rilke in university.

Every time I read about how Gaga is some world-class talent, I feel like I'm watching a Best Picture push for X-Men First Class or something.

alphaNoid

Banned
Is it bad that I say, "U Jelly?" all the fucking time (IRL)? lol. I do it purposely to be obnoxious though, because thats how I roll.

MisterNoisy

Puddles said:
The whole "Lady Gaga is a super-talented songwriter/outstanding musician" meme.

I get that the shit she puts out clicks with some people. Fuck it, I liked Just Dance and Alejandro. But I'm not going to pretend that she's anything more than an average musician at best. It's nice that she plays the piano, but she's no fucking Elton John up there.

She puts out decent pop songs, like Katy Perry or Rihanna. Why the fuck do people have to pretend she's more than that? She has quote from Letters to a Young Poet tattooed on her arm? I bet the guys who wrote Transformers 2 also read Rilke in university.

Every time I read about how Gaga is some world-class talent, I feel like I'm watching a Best Picture push for X-Men First Class or something.

I won't say that she's a 'world class musical talent' but whoever is doing the production work on her stuff is on their game something serious. If nothing else, you have to give some respect to that.

Angry Fork

mxgt said:
I'm sick of "u mad?" whenever someone can't make a decent retort.
This has become bannable because mods didn't like it either. The phrase 'u mad' isn't entirely banned I don't think but only when you're in a debate with someone and you use it after someone has typed out a real response/argument.

zerostackers

Neo Member
Comic artists use the same faces and characters for decades and put them in different situations, and no one bitches about that. Why are memes any different? Granted, you actually have to use them in a somewhat original way. If it's predictable then it's not funny. You become Garfield.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Self diagnosed Asperger's syndrome. I see it on the internet so often that it mind as well be a meme.

N4Us

Usually don't care too much about memes but some guy who stood behind me in a concert line a few weeks back said "winning like Charlie Sheen" every minute for about an hour.

Was so tempted to just go to the back of the line.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get tired of memes. I'm one of those people who thinks internet humor is the funniest shit ever.

akira28

wienke said:
Is that what that is from?

We use the word "salty" all the time in NFL-GAF to basically describe people getting defensive and angry because they're drowning in their salty tears when their team loses.

Hasn't salty always been a normal slang term for someone who is surly and full of protestation? I mean I've heard it used in northern cities like Jersey and NYc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom