• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which console finished the best?

kunonabi

3DS is finishing pretty strong with consistent quality releases even if they arent major releases. Dreamcast had Shenmue II and Segagaga which isnt too shabby either.

Newk86

3DS' last year (and a bit):

Ever Oasis
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Monster Hunter Stories
Hey Pikmin!
Culdcept Revolt
Metroid: Samus Returns
Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World
Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns (Euro version took its time!)
Yo-Kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters
Pokemon Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon
RPG Maker Fes

The Alliance Alive
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux
And the big one... Dragon Quest XI (will we get it?)

A few definitive versions/expanded ports in that list but pretty impressive nevertheless IMO. Monster Hunter XX should rightfully be on this list too... damn you Capcom!

SirNinja

3DS isn't going quietly. Etrian Odyssey V, Pokemon US/UM, Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology, SMT Strange Journey Redux...that's a hell of a way to cap off seven years of great games. Probably going to be playing it through at least 2020, that's how crazy my backlog is there.

Newk86

Wii U will technically end with a Game of the Year in BOTW so that's mine.

That reminds me, Twilight Princess was a Gamecube game first too.

Some 2006 releases for the Cube:

Chibi-Robo!
Odama
Baten Kaitos Origins
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Well not that impressive in the end I guess, but a few classics there.

radewagon

Easy. The PS3. It started the generation as an overpriced quagmire of a system and ended it as THE place for unique and varied console-exclusive content. A lot of people, rightfully, place the PS4's success on the decisions that Sony made in designing and pricing the new console, but the PS3's later years also put Sony in a position where people were ready to feel comfortable with jumping ship (away from the Xbox brand). Not an easy thing to do.

Newk86

Changed my mind, it's PS1. Plenty of great releases from 2000 onwards (PS2 launched in late 2000):

Breath of Fire IV
Chrono Cross
Destruction Derby Raw
Dragon Warrior VII
Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix
Final Fantasy IX
Harvest Moon: Back to Nature
Mega Man Legends 2
Spyro: Year of the Dragon
Threads of Fate
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Vagrant Story

Done. Nothing tops that surely. Some of my all time favourites on that list.

Raimond

PS3 not only came back, but ended up beating the 360 too, so I definitely think it has the best ending for sure.

Toni

PS3 Without a doubt.

Had The Last Of Us, Gran Turismo 6, God of War, MLB: The Show, Ni No Kuni, Pupeteer, Rain and Beyond: Two Souls.

It was pretty out there.

dsier

PS3, and it‘s not even close in my eyes.
Mere months before the release of ps4, the ps3 received two of the best games of all time in The Last of Us and GTA V. Add in first party games such as God of War Ascension and Gran Turismo 6, and you have an absolutely fantastic year of releases for a console that is about to be replaced.

dsier

Well if we're considering 2013 as the year PS3 "finished" then yeah I agree with many of the above posts.

Well, I mean technically the ps3 still isn’t finished because there are still games coming out for it. I interpreted the question as the console being finished in terms of being replaced by a newer generation.

GLAMr

PS3 is a pretty good answer... That whole generation is crazy, with the PS3/360 stumbling from some pretty colossal fuckups to end up doing quite well, while the Wii got off to a crazy start only to fizzle out on life support.

-360 launched with no HDMI, no 1080p output and the infamous RROD. With some significant investment, hard work and clever engineering, MS were able to rise above these issues.
-PS3... Talk about shitting the bed. Overpriced, "no games", a headache to develop for, so much bad press for removing features (PS2 BC, Linux). Still they manage to peck away at the price with hardware revisions and eventually get some stellar content (TLOU almost made me buy a PS3, but then they announced the PS4 remaster so I got that instead :D)
-Wii got off to a roaring start, everybody and their Nana had one. Literally. They were great for young kids, casuals and the oldies while still having some solid content for core gamers. People loved the possibilities presented by motion controls. Then the shovelware came... And severe droughts in terms of good games.

MysteryM

For me, xbox 360 no question. Some were questioning its performance when compared to the then non released ps3, but the games were astonishing. The golden era of gaming.

Kyry

The final year of PS3 was amazing.

The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Ni No Kuni, GTAV and GOW:A

For me, xbox 360 no question. Some were questioning its performance when compared to the then non released ps3, but the games were astonishing. The golden era of gaming.
How did 360 finish well? Microsoft basically abandoned it the last years near the end. 360 did had a great start.

B_Signal

The Saturn finished with the likes of Shining Force 3, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers, Radiant Silvergun, Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter, Street Fighter Alpha 3...

If you were an importer

A.M_Light

Neo Member
Easy. The PS3. It started the generation as an overpriced quagmire of a system and ended it as THE place for unique and varied console-exclusive content. A lot of people, rightfully, place the PS4's success on the decisions that Sony made in designing and pricing the new console, but the PS3's later years also put Sony in a position where people were ready to feel comfortable with jumping ship (away from the Xbox brand). Not an easy thing to do.
I agree

Good post. My opinion of the PS3 completely turned around toward the twilight years of its life and it ended up being my favourite console of that generation. Sure, the Xbox team made that an easy thing to do by focusing on Kinect, dropping first party support etc post 2008. But Sony really closed off the PS3 gen strongly and I believe it's also helped the PS4s initial sales uptake significantly IMO. Sony showed how a console manufacturer should treat its hardware platform in the twilight years.

gamer_povro

Neo Member
There's an analogy between X360 and PSVita... both abandoned in their latest years, with one main difference: one had been highly successful until that point, the other one not so.

Btw staying on topic I think PS2 had an amazing afterlife after the release of its successor.

The final year of PS3 was amazing.

The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Ni No Kuni, GTAV and GOW:A

Yeah the PS3 is a strong contender if not the strongest? Even more so considering it’s launch with the $600 price tag, or was it more?

Mooreberg

This can get dicey with the way some systems keep getting good Japanese games several years after western developers stopped caring (PS2), but in terms of lead up to a successor, PS3 was pretty nuts. Some of it was exclusive (The Last of Us), some of it was cross platform (GTA V), but there has never been another instance where I felt like I played so many of a platform's all time top five or top ten games in the last "official" year as the main platform. It is honestly contributed to 2014 being such an abject failure in comparison. Probably the worst dip in release quality YOY that has ever occurred.

Maybe PS3 because of TLOU and GTA V and a whole bunch of other good titles including a GT.

Those saying Wii U are confusing. I own a Wii U and have always loved it despite it being undersupported. As a final cycle-year, all I bought for it was BotW. That’s one game. That’s not a strong year, even if you buy into the idea that the game was transcendent. It’s not, imo. Very good, yes, but not anywhere near perfect. (Having beaten it with about 90 hours played, I’m not going to change that opinion.)

GameCube/PS2

Ended with the best game ever made. RE4.

Amazing to this day. RE4 was revolutionary. I will never forget how mind blowing that game was. Truly, a next generation game on a current generation console. I say that for both consoles. A damn stroke of genius.

Aztorian

PS4. Hands down. Most impressive gaming console I've witnessed to date. Not just talking about it's potential but the support, the marketing, the exclusive content and ofcourse the VR. PS4 was really the safest bet for this gen even before day one.

fetus8

PS4. Hands down. Most impressive gaming console I've witnessed to date. Not just talking about it's potential but the support, the marketing, the exclusive content and ofcourse the VR. PS4 was really the safest bet for this gen even before day one.

Uh PS4 hasn't really finished it's life yet...?

I def believe the PS3 had a very strong year, with 2013 being filled with incredible first party titles. 2014 even saw some major releases from 3rd Parties. The PS3 was kind of hard for me to move on from and is still hooked up at my house. lol

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless

Considering how ****ed the 360 hardware revisions were until 360's Jasper at least, it didn't take as much as you think.

I'm standing alongside everyone who is saying the PS3. 2013 was a pretty great year for both Xbox 360 and PS3 overall, with some of the top games of the generation coming out that year, but PS3 gets the slight edge due to the exclusives like The Last of Us, Ni No Kuni and The Puppeteer.

Other games I loved that year that appeared on PS3/360...

Bioshock Infinite
DmC: Devil May Cry
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Tomb Raider
Guacamelee
Resident Evil: Revelations
Deadpool
Saints Row 4
Rayman Legends
Ducktales Remastered
GTAV

dcx4610

PS3. From DoA to the best system of the generation in its later years. It’s pretty amazing how Sony turned that ship around and how great games looked and ran by the end.

Top Bottom