• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

Tk0n

Man I wish I bought Stratis last year. It was like 3 cents in August

man i wish i would have sold mine when the where 10 bucks a piece ;)

thinking about converting to fiat and buying back in once the dust settles.
it isnt just eth, the whole market is shrinking. i thought people would realocate their funds to bitcoin or other currencies, but it seems that they are getting burned and fleeing completely.
a little rebound would be nice to give people some hope ;)

also eth doesnt look like its done yet. its just slowly eating one support and then crashing to the next.

cheezcake

Bitcoin really isn't used for anything either other than holding it. Probably better off holding gold than btc honestly.

Btc is just a currency though. You can actually pay for quite a lot of things using btc and people actually do.

Eth isn't really a normal currency. Sure it has the same properties as btc but way less support in terms of being able to actually buy shit with it. In reality eth will derive its value from being the currency needed to execute smart contracts (aka bits of code) for other entities with the transaction of the contract execution being stored on its chain.

I don't think there's a single eth dapp which is actually used regularly even by niche communities today. Price will be driven up if things like consensys and golem actually find markets. That's when eth makes you money.

Until that point the value of eth is purely speculative and don't be surprised to see it be correspondingly fucking volatile.

Arkanius

Yall need to calm down with your ETH investments.
Stop looking at the tickers daily unless you are doing microtrading.

Invest, wait 6 months, look at it again.

Donos

ANS almost back to the level when i bought in (now at 3.70 €, got in at 2.90 €) after beeing almost triple of that before the conf. Seems like most of the stuff i was interested in is 20 % down compared to a couple days ago.Time to stack up more :)

ETH doesn't want to drown alone and is pulling everything down with it.

Floex

Can anyone recommend a better alternative then Coinbase?

Every time I try to upload my verification it fails :3

EDIT: This is all to do with ETH dropping isn't it ._>

x3sphere

I just bought more lol. I made most of my buys in the $7-10 range but I've been loading up again in the $200s. Think I'm content with the amount of ETH I have now though.

Hisoka

Didn't post here in a long time. Focused on
Reddit
blabla.

Crypto goes down hard right now. Best time to buy some ANS again i guess? I did some hid and run when it was higher up and so on... so i upgraded a bit on BTC now. HMM... ANS and LTC seem to be the safest bets right now.. they seem to profit in the future when ETH or BTC are dropping. Right now they are dependent too it seems, but i guess this will be different after 1 Aug latest.

Edit: Lol at all people calling a hell in the next days already. It just plumped. It plumped hard. Happens, shit has to go on. I remember hearing Bitcoin plumping its way up hard too. Whatever man.

Can anyone recommend a better alternative then Coinbase?

Every time I try to upload my verification it fails :3

EDIT: This is all to do with ETH dropping isn't it ._>

The hope is always that one coin might gain some "Mass adoption" and integration, which validates the concept to general usage. Basically the aphorism a rising tide lifts all boats.

vehn

Did anyone sell most of their stack when eth was 400? Thinking a good strategy is to sell after a huge rise, since it always crashes after that, just got to get lucky with finding the top and bottom

cheezcake

Apparently Eth got DDOS'd?

I'm not entirely sure how that even works with a chain, as in it just got bombarded with a bunch of transactions and block process times went up hugely?

Did anyone sell most of their stack when eth was 400? Thinking a good strategy is to sell after a huge rise, since it always crashes after that, just got to get lucky with finding the top and bottom

Sell on hope, buy on fear. Good strat. But no I only go into eth at $200 and I'm not quite comfortable doing anything other than taking the long at this point.

Orca

Sold 45 at $470 Canadian, bought back today at $304 Canadian.

What a roller coaster ride today with all coins, including Eth. Something was telling me yesterday to sell when it Eth was $290, which I should have, could of bought back in at a decent price today. I never did sell. I did add about another 15 Stratis.

I bought like $100 of BTC on Friday so I can buy more Sia, the payment still hasn't cleared. UGH!!!! But on Friday I was smart to sell the Sia I did have before it really started tanking. I took that and bought some Stratis Friday night.

I'm holding Eth and Stratis right now, any other decent penny coin that looks promising to throw a few hundred on?

DonMigs85

Right now it's no longer worth mining ETH with my little RX 570 thanks to the skyrocketing difficulty and reduced value.

I boarded my flight for Lima and didn't get a chance to rebuy Sia. Looks like the Bulltrap has started, either that or it was just a temporary lapse. I doubt it. I think I'll wait to see what happens tomorrow afternoon. I don't want to buy in again at higher than .000006

Tk0n

I boarded my flight for Lima and didn't get a chance to rebuy Sia. Looks like the Bulltrap has started, either that or it was just a temporary lapse. I doubt it. I think I'll wait to see what happens tomorrow afternoon. I don't want to buy in again at higher than .000006

yeah, im also on the fence, because this might just be a bull trap.
most cryptos seem to mirror the path of ETH.

in my portfolio, only PIVX is up in the last 24h. but PIVX didnt have much progress in the last month anyway.

Donos

Blockfolio app has no backup/transfer system? Or i'm blind? Just got my main Smartphone back from repair and dont want to input my portfolio manually...

Brandson

Selling after a meteoric rise might be a good strategy. It's just hard to know where the top and bottom might be. It could have gone all the way to $600 and then corrected to $450. The next time that movement happens, I might take out a portion once I feel it has gone up too high too fast again, but probably not the whole thing. I plan to have some ETH for at least 2 more years. While these wild swings are unnerving, my reasons for holding ETH have not changed. Even at the current price I am still way up, so my perspective is likely skewed by that too.

Tk0n

got a little extra STRAT by selling high and buying back in low but it was a nerve-wracking process.

ORCOURSE the price starts to recover 1 minute after you sell something and OFCOURSE its falling further and further after you buy in again...

ETH doesnt look like its out of the woods yet.
i guess the americans will crash the price a bit further in the next hours. ;)

yeah, im also on the fence, because this might just be a bull trap.
most cryptos seem to mirror the path of ETH.

in my portfolio, only PIVX is up in the last 24h. but PIVX didnt have much progress in the last month anyway.

Yup spiraling back down, definitely a trap.

ZOONAMI

Eth has lost nearly half it's value, BTC nearly a third. What a correction. Wish I wouldn't have bought basically all my eth at around $300.

at least mining it is sort of making up for my losses. If it dips below $200 I'm probably selling. The floor here could realistically be under $100 as it was sitting on a very slow and steady rise at about $15 back in only march. This gigantic rise is speculation driven, and it might fall completely back to earth.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
I have to stop looking at graphs. As a curiosity exactly one month ago Eth price also corrected 50% (from 200 down to 100). But it felt good seeing it at 400$ :D

Kenstar

Next time it gets anwhere near $400 I'd expect a mass sell off again
People know it can get there now, and the last time it did it went down 50%
I'm getting my seed money out ~380 or so and will let the rest of my eth play the long con

Chumley

Banned
Eth has lost nearly half it's value, BTC nearly a third. What a correction. Wish I wouldn't have bought basically all my eth at around $300.

at least mining it is sort of making up for my losses. If it dips below $200 I'm probably selling. The floor here could realistically be under $100 as it was sitting on a very slow and steady rise at about $15 back in only march. This gigantic rise is speculation driven, and it might fall completely back to earth.

Bitcoin went through the same shit. There's no way to guarantee one way or the other if it recovers or if it dies, but history since 2010 shows thus far that Crypto always ends up going up if you HODL through the rough times.

x3sphere

Wonder how bit coin and ETH will be by end of year. Any takers?

Hard to say but I don't really think we will see a drop as significant as BTC in 2013 with ETH unless there is some bad news from a fundamental standpoint. The drop to low 200s may have been the bottom.

I've been following these markets for awhile and general sentiment is different than Bitcoin in 2013, mostly that people don't think this is the end of crypto and they are just selling to buy back in lower. When BTC took its plunge from $1200, the prevailing opinion was that crypto was done for.

But who knows... I still buy with the assumption this can go to 0 of course.

Tk0n

It seems ETH crashed because 4chan was spreading fake news about Buterin dying in a car crash.

Nah, it crashed long before that. Id say the bugged Network after the Status ICO was the begining of the Crash. But ETH was stalling and slowly declining for 2 weeks.

DonMigs85

Nah, it crashed long before that. Id say the bugged Network after the Status ICO was the begining of the Crash. But ETH was stalling and slowly declining for 2 weeks.

ANS and STRAT seem to be almost neck and neck right now in value and market cap. I think I'll put more into them

Tk0n

Im not putting any new money in the market for now. STRAT, LSK and LBC are doing ok, but i put all my ETH money+profits and then some into ARK a week ago and im still 30% down there.

I hope the market stabilizes for a while and this isnt a bull trap.

Hisoka

Didn't post here in a long time. Focused on
Reddit
blabla.

Crypto goes down hard right now. Best time to buy some ANS again i guess? I did some hid and run when it was higher up and so on... so i upgraded a bit on BTC now. HMM... ANS and LTC seem to be the safest bets right now.. they seem to profit in the future when ETH or BTC are dropping. Right now they are dependent too it seems, but i guess this will be different after 1 Aug latest.

Edit: Lol at all people calling a hell in the next days already. It just plumped. It plumped hard. Happens, shit has to go on. I remember hearing Bitcoin plumping its way up hard too. Whatever man.

Why did you little fucker have to do something for university instead of giving ANS more BTC. Dude, you missed a huge train of money. Prioritys set wrong.

Can someone give me some clues about leveraging on kraken?

I read some stuff but I didn't get it at all. I'm not jumping in blind and would like some explanation to better understand what's happening behind the leveraging.

Thanks in advance.

x3sphere

Wow, that was a fun two days. How'd everyone do?

Been buying ETH on the way down... @ 295 and put in double that at 230 so overall have an average of 250 on my recent buys

I'm kinda surprised we're already at 270+ atm, thought it would consolidate longer. Never a dull moment in crypto.

Brandson

Been buying ETH on the way down... @ 295 and put in double that at 230 so overall have an average of 250 on my recent buys

I'm kinda surprised we're already at 270+ atm, thought it would consolidate longer. Never a dull moment in crypto.

Good chance it explodes again around week of July 1, and corrects before August.

Top Bottom