• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to the Official Hotel Dusk: Room 215 thread! Please enjoy your stay!

Is anyone on their second playthrough that could help?
Does getting Red Waves determine if I get the Jenny ending? Does Louie really give you the tape with the code, going into room 220 and all? I'm stuck at the point that I can't get past talking to Summers without getting a redwave. I want the Jenny ending dammit!

Thanks!:lol

Muppet345

Gigglepoo said:
Looks like I'm in the minority. I did not enjoy Hotel Dusk. Not one bit. The characters were interesting, but the exceedingly slow pacing coupled with a story that doesn't actually go anyway made the whole experience rather numbing.

One quick question: I love Phoenix Wright, but haven't played many Adventure games prior to the NDS. Should I try the Lucas Arts classics? I assume they are more akin to PW than the bore that is Hotel Dusk. Am I right? Do they breathe life and humor? Or just tedious dialog?
You shouldn't post in threads just to whore your off-site reviews.

Aurelius

Finished the game last night, took me 18 hours and I got the ending where
Mila and Kyle leave together
. I really enjoyed the game, but the ending left me unsatisfied, it just felt like the epilogue for a longer story, like finishing the first location in a greater adventure. I mean
Jenny is still missing, so is Bradley and Alan Parker

AniHawk

Aurelius said:
Finished the game last night, took me 18 hours and I got the ending where
Mila and Kyle leave together
. I really enjoyed the game, but the ending left me unsatisfied, it just felt like the epilogue for a longer story, like finishing the first location in a greater adventure. I mean
Jenny is still missing, so is Bradley and Alan Parker

I see it as a bittersweet ending. Everyone is still missing at least somebody, and they're still searching.

If you replay the game, don't screw up an interrogation, and never get a red wave, you get another ending too.

SumGamer

Buttonbasher said:
Does getting Red Waves determine if I get the Jenny ending? Does Louie really give you the tape with the code, going into room 220 and all? I'm stuck at the point that I can't get past talking to Summers without getting a redwave. I want the Jenny ending dammit!

As long as you dont get game over it should be okay, I think.

Buttonbasher said:

I got some red waves on my first playthrough and I still got what some would say is the best ending. I wouldn't worry about one or two of them.

Gigglepoo

Dragona Akehi said:
What's a "red wave"?

The red question boxes...? Aren't they uh, required?

If you ask the wrong question a red wave passes over the interrogated. They get pissed and usually end things quickly.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Gigglepoo said:
Looks like I'm in the minority. I did not enjoy Hotel Dusk. Not one bit. The characters were interesting, but the exceedingly slow pacing coupled with a story that doesn't actually go anyway made the whole experience rather numbing.
Wow, the amount of wrong with you is outstanding.
Do you remember reading an awful book for school? Maybe you had to read The Pearl or The Adventures of Huckleberry Fin.
Seriously, what is wrong with you?

Gigglepoo

RevenantKioku said:
Wow, the amount of wrong with you is outstanding.

You think Hotel Dusk would be a worthwhile read if it was a novel?

RevenantKioku said:
Seriously, what is wrong with you?

American authors weren't worth reading (for the most part) until about 1950.

ethelred

Gigglepoo said:
Says the guy who thinks Hotel Dusk is great literature....

I think the opinion "Hotel Dusk is great literature" is vastly more tenable than the position of "Mark Twain, Edgar Poe, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Benjamin Franklin, Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, Washington Irving, Ralph Emerson, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Herman Melville, Ezra Pound, T.S. Eliot, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and Ambrose Bierce are awful / not worth reading."

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Gigglepoo said:
Says the guy who thinks Hotel Dusk is great literature....
For someone who says that for the most part there were no worthwhile American authors until the 1950s, you sure can't read!
Oh wait, lolz. I get it.

Gigglepoo

ethelred said:
I think the opinion "Hotel Dusk is great literature" is vastly more tenable than the position of "Mark Twain, Edgar Poe, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Benjamin Franklin, Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, Washington Irving, Ralph Emerson, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Herman Melville, Ezra Pound, T.S. Eliot, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and Ambrose Bierce are awful / not worth reading."

I said "for the most part." I much prefer British literature from the same time period just like I prefer an actual novel (ever read Raymond Chandler?) to the dreck in Hotel Dusk.

Narag

gigglepoo said:

Gigglepoo said:
I said "for the most part." I much prefer British literature from the same time period just like I prefer an actual novel (ever read Raymond Chandler?) to the dreck in Hotel Dusk.

Quantifying it as you have in the first quote doesn't really make it any less of a troll.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
Gigglepoo said:

You have no idea what you're talking about, Gigglepoo. Please refrain from dispensing your opinions on literature. Thanks. Prick.

carlos

Would someone kindly upload the music rip to something other than sendspace? ( rapidshare preferably)

Sendspace ALWAYS says that their free server for my area is busy :(
Once again, I would greatly appreciate it

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just completed it. I got the
Kyle doesn't even visit Rosa and Mila in Rosa's room
ending. Great game, but I won't be playing through it another time. Off to eBay it goes.

SumGamer

Barf_the_Mog said:
Beat the game. Man, what a trip. Anyone know if Cing is working on another DS game like this and Trace Memory?

No they are working on an unknown Wii game. I have high hope nevertheless.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Gigglepoo WTF.

Honestly.

Some of my favorite works are from the transcendentalist/antitranscendalist period. Scarlet Letter, Moby Dick, and of course (separately), the work from which all other works flow, Huck Finn?

This says nothing of poetry.

Gigglepoo

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Some of my favorite works are from the transcendentalist/antitranscendalist period. Scarlet Letter, Moby Dick, and of course (separately), the work from which all other works flow, Huck Finn?

Um... ok?

I thought Thoreau and Emerson had interesting ideas but were not particularly talented writers, Melville is outstanding at symbolism and character motivation but lacks in pacing and basic story development (though I thoroughly enjoyed Bartleby), and Hawthorne is only still discussed because nothing else remotely relevant came out during that time. I have an English degree, have read most of the authors mentioned on this page, and was, for the most part, underwhelmed.

But that's hardly important. Does anyone care that I prefer Browning to Whitman or Conrad to Steinbeck? The point is - Hotel Dusk is not a game at all. The few puzzles it offers and the abilty to walk around a mostly empty hotel are not strong enough to stamp this as a great video game experience. But that's not the point. It's not supposed to be full of gameplay, it's about the story. I have no problem with games which depend entirely on their story. I love Phoenix Wright.

Hotel Dusk is an interactive novel, one in which you merely let the game tell the story for you. I thought it was easier to compare this to a novel than a video game. In doing that, Hotel Dusk, I felt, was simply atrocious. I would not have read this if it was in book form. I don't know why so many people are enamored with this story.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Buttonbasher said:
I got the
Jenny+Mila ending
on the first playthrough, and I got a few negative reponses, that's not the factor that determines the ending. (And in your case, that one can't be avoided)

And are you people seriously trying to compare story from a game/interactive novel with classical Literature?

Buttonbasher said:
Found it at Wal-Mart. Told myself I was going to finish PW first. That lasted about a second. I just started Chapter 2. There are 10 chapters. I like what Kobun said about scrolling through text using the R trigger. I love that way.

I've updated Character stuff as far as I'm at now. If anyone has pictures to go with the characters, that would be great. I'll update the character stuff as I prgress through the game.

This is everything I wanted it to be. I like the music too.

Game ruining spoiler wuz here

God dammit! Even though you used a spoiler tag there was no god damn warning as to how freaking bad the spoiler was. It's totally out of place, especially after reading everything else in your post. Gaaaahhhh!!!!!!!

Llyranor

I played about 5 hrs yesterday. Now in Chapter 3.

Small Chapter 2 spoilers:
When you play the money for your stay and Dunning goes for a nap, how do you proceed from there? The door was locked for me, so I had to go around trying to open doors everywhere. Finally, I found an unlocked utility room, in which there was *nothing* of interest. Then I came out, and suddently the office door was open. Did I miss the logic in here? Or was it simply that you were expected to enter the utility room before paying Dunning, so that by the time you paid and he left, you'd be able to enter the office. It's really weird, especially since the utility room had nothing at all.

icecream said:
I got the
Jenny+Mila ending
on the first playthrough, and I got a few negative reponses, that's not the factor that determines the ending. (And in your case, that one can't be avoided)

And are you people seriously trying to compare story from a game/interactive novel with classical Literature?
Is the factor
what's in room 220? And if so, is it true that Louie is going to give me a tape? Or How do I get into room 220? Anyone know?

Gigglepoo

icecream said:

I was comparing it to a book, just a normal book, and wondering why people are so in love with Hotel Dusk. I don't really understand is all. I played through the whole game but was just totally dragging through the last few acts. The story didn't go anyway and I was wondering how other people justified their experience. If you just really enjoyed the story, that's one thing, but I think time would have been better spent just reading a book. The story in Hotel Dusk just feels like a cliche mystery novel.

Do the people who really love this game read detective novels as well? Or was this a first time mystery experience? Do you just love adventure games so much that any entry, especially one that takes advantage of the NDS, is a welcome addition in your library? Or is it because this a video game story? Just like you don't compare your five year old nephew's crayon art to a professional done piece of art, you wouldn't compare Hotel Dusk's story to one you could find in Barnes and Noble?

To answer your question, I compare this to a book because because it "plays" like an interactive novel rather than a traditional video game experience. I have to critique the story in this alone rather than the gameplay like I normally would do. When I broke down the story, it just doesn't stand up with other portable reading experiences.

In my opinion, of course. Cue smiley :)

Mockingbird said:
God dammit! Even though you used a spoiler tag there was no god damn warning as to how freaking bad the spoiler was. It's totally out of place, especially after reading everything else in your post. Gaaaahhhh!!!!!!!
Damn. You made me go back and find that post. I thought you were serious.

I was wrong. Rachels Richards mom. Just look at Jessica. And Kyle is the dad. Jessica and Richard both have glasses. So does Rachel. Kyles hair is yellow/brown and messy, so is richards!

icecream

Public Health Threat
Gigglepoo said:
I was comparing it to a book, just a normal book, and wondering why people are so in love with Hotel Dusk. I don't really understand is all. I played through the whole game but was just totally dragging through the last few acts. The story didn't go anyway and I was wondering how other people justified their experience. If you just really enjoyed the story, that's one thing, but I think time would have been better spent just reading a book. The story in Hotel Dusk just feels like a cliche mystery novel.

Do the people who really love this game read detective novels as well? Or was this a first time mystery experience? Do you just love adventure games so much that any entry, especially one that takes advantage of the NDS, is a welcome addition in your library? Or is it because this a video game story? Just like you don't compare your five year old nephew's crayon art to a professional done piece of art, you wouldn't compare Hotel Dusk's story to one you could find in Barnes and Noble?

To answer your question, I compare this to a book because because it "plays" like an interactive novel rather than a traditional video game experience. I have to critique the story in this alone rather than the gameplay like I normally would do. When I broke down the story, it just doesn't stand up with other portable reading experiences.

In my opinion, of course. Cue smiley :)
To me, someone who's been playing these types of things for a while, you can't exactly compare them to a real story from a real book. I've read a few detective novels and I'll agree with your point that in some sense, Hotel Dusk is a bit cliched, but that's because it's a game, not a novel. The point of these games is the chance to be absorbed in a world in a way that can't be achieved by reading books, nor by playing games. The visual novel, after all, retains the interactivity of other games, and yet, places heavy influence, especially in the best cases, on the textual medium. It would be something akin more to a graphic novel or a manga rather than a actual book.

For an interactive story/visual novel such as this, the visuals are just as much as part of the message as the text itself. And on that note, the format brings a higher level of accessibility than a typical novel. I'm sure it's certainly possible to remake Hotel Dusk into a multi-chapter style mystery visual novel that brings out everything... but it would fail to achieve the causal audience it seeks. If you dumped the current text, I'd be surprised to find it enough to fill up a normal book as it is. So rather than critically judge the story in the context of a real novel, you should look at it as a means of bring the atmosphere presented by the visuals to life and the enjoyment of being a part of that world, choose your own adventure style.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Gigglepoo said:

Just pray that you never run into Twain, O. Henry, and Poe in a dark alley.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Buttonbasher said:
Is the factor
what's in room 220? And if so, is it true that Louie is going to give me a tape? Or How do I get into room 220? Anyone know?
No, you don't need to unlock Room 220, which is only accessible through the second playthrough, to get Jenny back. The only thing of note that I could think of doing is getting the secret numbers prize and giving it to Melissa

Gigglepoo

icecream said:
For an interactive story/visual novel such as this, the visuals are just as much as part of the message as the text itself.

Thank you for an intelligent reply. Most people can't seem to grasp that I much prefer British authors to American and refused to actually talk about Hotel Dusk. I understand where you are coming from, and respect it completely. I guess, after all the hype (see: massive thread and 10 from EGM) I expected a story I could hang my hat on. I expected something that broke free of normal gaming restrictions and created something truly worthwhile. Clearly, my expectations were too high.

The accessibility of Hotel Dusk cannot be denied, though I would argue it is far more daunting than the average novel. Because you have to actually navigate through the world yourself and solve rudimentary puzzles, I feel it could only be enjoyed by active gamers. Because of its limited appeal (when compared to books), I think the developers were content offering a cliche ridden story. Compared to other stories in video games, Hotel Dusk is very impressive. The characters, though plucked from a stable archetype of personalities, have depth and motivation. The story does provide suspense, does offer a taste of foreshadowing, and does even have a twist or two.

If someone who did not read often or merely expected another video game tale, I could see how Hotel Dusk could surprise and awe. However, I think that is the biggest problem with this game, gaming as a whole, and, more importantly, video game players. In some regard, our (I am including myself) standards are so low, even the most meager attempt at breaking beyond is whole heartedly embraced. A fleshed out Hotel Dusk with the same pacing and plot points would never exist in written form because it simply cannot compare with a real novel. Video games should be sophisticated enough at this point to provide a story with depth that rivals popular novels.

When you think of the flood of writers out there, working menial jobs while they hope to get recognized some day, I don't understand why they aren't hired to craft interesting stories. I personally know quite a few people who would love to write for a gaming company and who could produce far more interesting work. I don't know why companies don't tap into this market, spend a few thousand more per game, and produce something that could be embraced by both EGM and The New Yorker.

I hope that day is in the future. For now, Hotel Dusk is just the bleak reminder of how far my favorite industry still has to push.

Fatalah

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the game's music is really great. The main theme seems to be inspired by "Hotel California", which makes the game even BETTER.

Anybody else feel that way?

Gigglepoo said:
Thank you for an intelligent reply. Most people can't seem to grasp that I much prefer British authors to American and refused to actually talk about Hotel Dusk. I understand where you are coming from, and respect it completely. I guess, after all the hype (see: massive thread and 10 from EGM) I expected a story I could hang my hat on. I expected something that broke free of normal gaming restrictions and created something truly worthwhile. Clearly, my expectations were too high.

The accessibility of Hotel Dusk cannot be denied, though I would argue it is far more daunting than the average novel. Because you have to actually navigate through the world yourself and solve rudimentary puzzles, I feel it could only be enjoyed by active gamers. Because of its limited appeal (when compared to books), I think the developers were content offering a cliche ridden story. Compared to other stories in video games, Hotel Dusk is very impressive. The characters, though plucked from a stable archetype of personalities, have depth and motivation. The story does provide suspense, does offer a taste of foreshadowing, and does even have a twist or two.

If someone who did not read often or merely expected another video game tale, I could see how Hotel Dusk could surprise and awe. However, I think that is the biggest problem with this game, gaming as a whole, and, more importantly, video game players. In some regard, our (I am including myself) standards are so low, even the most meager attempt at breaking beyond is whole heartedly embraced. A fleshed out Hotel Dusk with the same pacing and plot points would never exist in written form because it simply cannot compare with a real novel. Video games should be sophisticated enough at this point to provide a story with depth that rivals popular novels.

When you think of the flood of writers out there, working menial jobs while they hope to get recognized some day, I don't understand why they aren't hired to craft interesting stories. I personally know quite a few people who would love to write for a gaming company and who could produce far more interesting work. I don't know why companies don't tap into this market, spend a few thousand more per game, and produce something that could be embraced by both EGM and The New Yorker.

I hope that day is in the future. For now, Hotel Dusk is just the bleak reminder of how far my favorite industry still has to push.

The writing in Hotel Dusk is nice and all, but I'm not a fan of stories in video games. If I want a good yarn, I'll read Milton or Shakespeare. If I pick up a game, however, I want to jump right in and have fun. The very nature of video gaming is completely antithetical to high-brow storytelling. Sure, we'll have the occasional Hotel Dusk here and there, but there will never be any "pushing" from the industry to crap out the next Wuthering Heights or Great Expectations, I can tell you that. That's simply not what the audience is looking for.

Gigglepoo

miguel_c_hammer said:
The writing in Hotel Dusk is nice and all, but I'm not a fan of stories in video games. If I want a good yarn, I'll read Milton or Shakespeare. If I pick up a game, however, I want to jump right in and have fun. The very nature of video gaming is completely antithetical to high-brow storytelling. Sure, we'll have the occasional Hotel Dusk here and there, but there will never be any "pushing" from the industry to crap out the next Wuthering Heights or Great Expectations, I can tell you that. That's simply not what the audience is looking for.

It's a different medium completely. I am not suggesting video game writers should strive to make the next Wuthering Heights. I wouldn't want to sit through an epic tale either. I'd much rather play the game. But almost every game does have a story, and most of the time they are bad. But think about how much story has added to certain games. For instance, Katamari Damacy, through cutscenes that last 90 seconds or less, was able to create a memorable tale that made the experience even better. This does not have to be the exception to the rule.

A game like Hotel Dusk that is completely dependent on story should strive to offer something on the same level as a novel. But it is not a novel. You should never be able to dump the text from a game into a book and have great literature. It's an interactive experience that uses graphics and sound to heighten the experience.

I would love to see a real push towards creating worthwhile stories in games. You could say "I listen to the Rolling Stones when I want good music." just like you can point to Salinger as an example of something you'd read if you want great literature. But just like Final Fantasy is made better with its excellent score, other games could make use of excellent story telling as well.

Essentially, we don't have to settle for something like Hotel Dusk. Gamers deserve better.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Gigglepoo said:
Essentially, we don't have to settle for something like Hotel Dusk. Gamers deserve better.
When English gamers start buying up such genres in droves and something like Hotel Dusk rivals even a mediocre RPG in sales then will creators have an incentive to focus on refining such games for the audience.

Deku

Banned
Gigglepoo said:

So I think making sweeping generalizations generally make you sound stupid.

Gigglepoo

icecream said:
When English gamers start buying up such genres in droves and something like Hotel Dusk rivals even a mediocre RPG in sales then will creators have an incentive to focus on refining such games for the audience.

Obviously, money does talk. I'm still surprised we haven't seen a genuine push from developers to create stories that could draw in both gamers and non/casual gamers. The NDS seems like the perfect platform to experiment with. Development costs are extraordinarily low compared to other systems. But, more importantly, the NDS is already in the hands of people who don't usually buy video games. Hotel Dusk is obviously a strong start. There aren't many games like Hotel Dusk on Gamecube or PS2. But it can go so much further than that.

I am not exactly a proponent of "non-games." Of widening the market to include people who don't even like my favorite pastime. But interactive stories could draw in more people as well as improve the stories we have to suffer through in every game.

Now that Cing has created a critical hit in Hotel Dusk, I hope they continue to expand on this genre. If they hire a better script writer for their 3rd NDS adventure, they could produce something truly worthwhile.

icecream said:
No, you don't need to unlock Room 220, which is only accessible through the second playthrough, to get Jenny back. The only thing of note that I could think of doing is getting the secret numbers prize and giving it to Melissa
What if I got the lipstick? I can't give that to her!

Ramirez

I'm very early into the game, still at chapter 1, but I cannot figure out how to get this damn coat hanger down, which I'm assuming is what I need for the suitcase. I've walked all over the hotel, can't find anyone, knocked on all the doors, etc. Someone throw me a bone :lol

Reikon

Ramirez said:
I'm very early into the game, still at chapter 1, but I cannot figure out how to get this damn coat hanger down, which I'm assuming is what I need for the suitcase. I've walked all over the hotel, can't find anyone, knocked on all the doors, etc. Someone throw me a bone :lol

Linen closet on the second floor. Check the locker. There are pliers in the toolbox.

Nick

So I bought this game.

I'm waiting until everyone in the house is asleep before starting. I want to make sure I have enough time to absorb the dialogue.

Top Bottom