• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slain - A homage to gory hack-&-slash games of the 80's & 90's (Out now on PS4)

SLAIN! has just passed its funding goal!

cat_evilbueno.jpg

Mr_D_

Banned
Hi.. Nick here..

Thanks to everyone on GAF for their support. Will share some stats with how important GAF has been so far in a bit. For now just wanted to replicate the announcement I just made on the KS page here...!

===========================================================
18 days left and already funded. Andrew, Asa, Sam and myself thank you for all your support and helping us spread Slain!'s message. On Wednesday there will be an update outlining stretch goals and some extra tiers. A lot of people have been asking for PS4/Vita specific tiers similar too the Xbox One tiers we first announced.

To save on *more* confusion, any tier labeled Xbox One will be an "all Console" tier...so even though it reads Xbox One, once the KS has finished you will be able to specify whether it is an Xbox One,PS4, Vita or WiiU (if announced on Wednesday) copy you would like. This way we do not have to add another 10 or so tiers to cater for all consoles and risk making you dig through 25 tiers! Feedback on this would be great so please comment if you have anything to add.

Adding the tiers early on rather than stretch goals has worked really well for Slain! and we would certainly do it again although we would definitely open up 'all console' tiers from the start. Lesson learnt, and thanks for all your great feedback.

Tier wise, we will be adding a number of 'physical reward' tiers. People have been asking for posters and t-shirts and we think Sam, with his background in fashion will be to give you all some seriously sick t shirts (and posters). One's that you (and us) will all want to wear, not just stick them in the closet to gather dust!

Devs added a Paypal option for backers and revealed the stretch goals as well as new physical tiers
Also you can now pay with Paypal. We will update the Paypal amount daily on the page (around 10am EST) and this will of course count towards the final goal! The Paypal address is lucylacava2@gmail.com . We are using an already active account so there is no risk of payments being stopped due to a surge in activity.
cZZ605y.jpg

New updates showing off the game's enemies

The Horrors (Old world name - Sickleguts)
Horrors are vicious creatures that inhabit most of the lands in Slain! Here we have a Lake Horror and a Lake Horror Tyrant. These monsters mostly roam in packs and rip apart anything they encounter with 2 huge sickle like blade weapons they use for hands. They are mostly found wandering through the Blood grounds waiting for fresh bodies to rise.
MoMC0Z3.jpg
lCMgXfu.jpg

Hell Hounds (Old world name - Fireguts)
Hell Hounds are mostly found roaming the upper floors of a number of given towers in Slain! and will also be discovered hunting throughout the lands. These monsters are thick skinned and deal out large fire death, but their imposing size leads to a slow moving tank like beast and a skilled player can avoid their attacks with ease. However, a Hellhounds' fire ball will turn a player to pile of ashes. So beware.
ngTPZgI.jpg

9l1e79V.jpg

The Banshee Queen

Lurking somewhere deep within the Highlands' tower resides the Banshee Queen, a once peaceful and kind Queen, turned butchering enchantress by Lord Vroll. Vroll mercilessly slaughtered her entire family, forcing the then Queen to watch, as each gasped their final dying breath, before turning the bloodied twin blades on her . She now uses powerful magic to destroy any living thing that dares to step foot inside her tower.

First stretch goal achieved: A dedicated professional audio designer!

Next up is Horde Mode @ 17k
Horde Mode will feature new environments, endless waves, and leaderboards

Plus a new screenshot
hsXjeC3.jpg

Stike

It's not in the OP, so I am adding the info here, in case anyone wondered about the music:

The game's composer has a Soundcloud-Page with some demos. Not sure if that music will also end up in SLAIN, but it is a chance to get into the mood >:D

Devs will be doing a Twitch stream tonight
Do you have questions for the development team? Want to see more of whats going on here? Want to ask for more blood? Want to stay up later than your mum says you should? Join us tonight for a casual (and possibly drunk) game play stream with our friends over at WhosGamingNow.

Midnight PDT/7:00 GMT
Join us at the below link!
http://www.twitch.tv/whosgamingnow

Plus a new screenshot from the backer demo:
J9jiOw5.jpg

ksdixon

I was interested until I saw 1. pixel art visual style, and 2. colored flashes on sword swings/glowing weapons. both seem terribly overdone. dammit.

edit:
still find myself interesred somewhat though. two questions:

1. what is the significance of the glowing weapons? can that visual effect, and the colored swings of the sword be turned off?

2. will it play anything like golsen axe?

I was interested until I saw 1. pixel art visual style, and 2. colored flashes on sword swings/glowing weapons. both seem terribly overdone.

dammit. otherwise I would still be interested, but the visuals kill it.
Why are the visuals bad? I think they look gorgeous. Great lighting, tons of details, atmospheric Gothic art design. Been playing the demo and the gameplay feels solid

ksdixon

Why are the visuals bad? I think they look gorgeous. Great lighting, tons of details, atmospheric Gothic art design. Been playing the demo and the gameplay feels solid

both just seem terribly overdone in general in modern gaming, especially indy.

but i still find myself interested somewhat though. two questions:

1. what is the significance of the glowing weapons? can that visual effect, and the colored swings of the sword be turned off?

2. will it play anything like golden axe?

both just seem terribly overdone in general in modern gaming, especially indy.

but i still find myself interested somewhat though. two questions:

2. will it play anything like golden axe?
Eh, I don't see the issue with pixel art. It's just a visual style. I guess it doesn't bother me since my retro is PS1 stuff. I've only been playing games with pixel art for a few years. And plus you have games like Rain World that take pixel art and modernize it in ways that weren't possible before

Not sure what you mean by the glowing sword. Which pic? The game will have different weapons and modifiers, so your sword will change appearance.

Never played Golden Axe so I can't say.

ksdixon

Eh, I don't see the issue with pixel art. It's just a visual style. I guess it doesn't bother me since my retro is PS1 stuff. I've only been playing games with pixel art for a few years. And plus you have games like Rain World that take pixel art and modernize it in ways that weren't possible before

Not sure what you mean by the glowing sword. Which pic? The game will have different weapons and modifiers, so your sword will change appearance.

Never played Golden Axe so I can't say.

Well I saw a blue axe, but I later read it is actually an "ice axe", and a red "blood sword" later in the thread.

0Wea2Zz.jpg

This gif is weird.
Shows 'normal' sword slashes for the first two slashes, but then the sideways slash appears to have a red glow/swish on it?

Well I saw a blue axe, but I later read it is actually an "ice axe", and a red "blood sword" later in the thread.

0Wea2Zz.jpg

This gif is weird.
Shows 'normal' sword slashes for the first two slashes, but then the sideways slash appears to have a red glow/swish on it?
The decapitation is a special attack, even has its own separate button from the main attacks. If I recall, different weapons will have different special attacks. So I imagine they wanted your special attacks to stand out visually

ksdixon

The decapitation is a special attack, even has its own separate button from the main attacks. If I recall, different weapons will have different special attacks. So I imagine they wanted your special attacks to stand out visually

Is this one of those indy games where control is taken away from the player mid attack combo as the enemy enters a 'finisher state', and a specific button has to pressed within a certain time frame? I hate quick time events in my 2D beat 'em ups.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So fuckin' bummed it won't reach the WiiU stretch goal, I'll retrieve my pledge since I'm short on money and I only cared to play this day 1 if on the WiiU's gamepad (or 3ds if it existed), I can wait to play it on my pc/xbox/ps4...

Either way, congrats for getting funded guys!

I have to say I'm not liking the hit detection with the sword's thrust motion before the decapitation, I hope it's just the early gif and it won't be that finicky with hits lacking pixel perfect impact

Is this one of those indy games where control is taken away from the player mid attack combo as the enemy enters a 'finisher state', and a specific button has to pressed within a certain time frame? I hate quick time events in my 2D beat 'em ups.
No, you use the attack anytime. Killing any enemy with it restores some of your mana

So excited they finally decided to release on the Wii U eShop!!!

One of the best parts of last night's Direct, for me.

Cannot wait for this tasty morsel!

Glad it reached it's goal, but I'm a little bummed at no Wii U version. I would've loved to play this on the Gamepad. I'll take a Vita version though.

EDIT: Oops, nevermind. Hooray!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1348640000/slain/posts/1181428

Big news! WiiU version was announced during the recent Nintendo Direct event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6fY6CUEYgw#t=49m35s
We found a little extra funding to meet the WiiU stretch goal meaning the WiiU version WILL be happening and in case you missed it...it was announced here during Nintendo Direct.

Also the dev's will be doing a Twitch stream this Friday
Join us this Friday for some live gameplay of Slain! on http://www.twitch.tv/MrAWolf. We’ll be battling monsters, solving puzzles and talking you through the game’s design and mechanics! 19:00 PDT/21:00 CST/22:00 EST on Friday.

Top Bottom