• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dutch Company Claims it Owns No Man's Sky World Generation Formula [they don't]

Except it's not a creation. It's a discovery. Hello Games had no reason to assume that anyone attempted to patent it. It's like if a filmmaker made a movie centered around a newly discovered species of bird. The person who discovered this new bird isn't entitled to anything from the filmmaker and can't own that bird.

A patent is a creation though, not a discovery. If you genetically made that new bird, you could absolutely patent it. While the math itself may have been a discovery, the patent is likely on a novel manner in which to use it, which presumably is what the patent is for. Whether or not it actual is novel isn't something I'm weighing in on, but clearly someone agree that it was if they've been issued a patent.

Likewise, "I didn't assume you had a patent," wouldn't be a legitimate defense for a patent case.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Seems like a fishing expedition to get a peek at someone else's code more than anything else.

Wonder what a procedurally generated pie would taste like?

It can be either horrible, or the best damned thing one would have ever tasted.

You'd get bored of it after two or three bites, according to the internet.

Calabi

Except it's not a creation. It's a discovery. Hello Games had no reason to assume that anyone attempted to patent it. It's like if a filmmaker made a movie centered around a newly discovered species of bird. The person who discovered this new bird isn't entitled to anything from the filmmaker and can't own that bird.

What's the difference between a discovery and a creation? I dont think its absolutely certain that maths and this algorithm arent creations. It's not a hundred percent clear that math's is applicable to all areas in the real world. Maths could just be a man made creation that happens to align and help us describe most of what we see in the real world.

You could say the same of music, it's all just patterns, someone discovered a pattern that sounds like All Along the Watchtower. We create or discover the patterns.

If all we have is the film for evidence and someone claims they created the bird in it(and have evidence), and the bird doesn't exist anywhere else in the world then how are you so sure they didn't create it.

What's the difference between a discovery and a creation? I dont think its absolutely certain that maths and this algorithm arent creations. It's not a hundred percent clear that math's is applicable to all areas in the real world. Maths could just be a man made creation that happens to align and help us describe most of what we see in the real world.

You could say the same of music, it's all just patterns, someone discovered a pattern that sounds like All Along the Watchtower. We create or discover the patterns.

If all we have is the film for evidence and someone claims they created the bird in it(and have evidence), and the bird doesn't exist anywhere else in the world then how are you so sure they didn't create it.
Math is the human explanation for the state of reality. Everything that exists in nature can be reduced to a mathematical formula. That's why it's understood that math isn't created, simply discovered. Einstein didn't create mass-energy equivalence (e=mc2), he merely discovered the concept and transcribed it to a language.

Gielis didn't create the complex shapes and curves found in nature. He merely discovered a new way to accurately transcribed them to a language. To claim ownership over something like that is wrong, and most countries patent offices agree.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Math is the human explanation for the state of reality. Everything that exists in nature can be reduced to a mathematical formula. That's why it's understood that math isn't created, simply discovered. Einstein didn't create mass-energy equivalence (e=mc2), he merely discovered the concept and transcribed it to a language.

Hence why we all live in one big simulation. ;)

Faustek

ooh came in to say that this is bullshit but I see people on the first page already mentioned Elite.

If any people should claim any sort of ownership to this, in a video game that is, it would be David Braben and Ian Bell the creators of Elite. I mean holy crap what they did with the acorn system. If you all remember how Doom had more installs than Windows 95? Shareware status helped of course but Elit wasn't shareware. The BBC Micro had sold about 150k examples from what I remember and the game itself was close to 150k examples. That was extreme. That gave them the rights to really pound their chests. Imagine something like that happening today? I can't see it.
Anyway the game itself from what I remember had a set number of worlds numbered over 300 trillion and that number wasn't the maximum possible. Just what Braben and Bell decided on themselves. So yeah, this was indeed a game you could play forever.

Ps. Some gameplay on the Acorn

Calabi

Gielis didn't create the complex shapes and curves found in nature. He merely discovered a new way to accurately transcribed them to a language. To claim ownership over something like that is wrong, and most countries patent offices agree.

Can you prove that though?

I mean there are some areas in reality which maths struggles to describe, and math's goes in lots of different directions that dont describe reality at all(infinite, imaginary numbers for instance).

The maths is separate from the shapes. Is it the only maths, or are there other maths languages that describe the shapes just as well.

Sakujou

Banned
iam not sure which one is right or wrong. might be that this dutch company tries to make some quick buck, it also might be that sony will los. dont forget about the killzone thingy, the psn outtage or the whole rumble affair of the dual shock where sony also lost.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
iam not sure which one is right or wrong. might be that this dutch company tries to make some quick buck, it also might be that sony will los. dont forget about the killzone thingy, the psn outtage or the whole rumble affair of the dual shock where sony also lost.

This has nothing to do with Sony. This is a Hello Games issue.

LordRaptor

To claim ownership over something like that is wrong, and most countries patent offices agree.

In theory.

In practice, its been repeatedly demonstrated that PAtent Offices do not understand fundamental principles of computing, and the line between what is unpatentable maths and what is 'work product' or 'a specific implementation method' is incredibly blurry when it comes to software.

Especially when money is involved.

ooh came in to say that this is bullshit but I see people on the first page already mentioned Elite.

This company isn't claiming sweeping rights to any procedural generation of worlds, but to Sean's use of the so-called Superformula which algorithmically describes shapes found in nature.

The thing is, there's plenty of prior art of the use of the Superformula in computer graphics, so unless Dutch patent law is really odd I don't know how this would stand up in court. That's probably why Hello has ignored them.

Can anyone find this interview? I did a quick google, I couldn't find any interview with Sean Murray and Business Insider, let alone a specific interview from Feb 2016.

Here is the article were the Superformula is mention it is at the bottom about 24 paragraphs down. The article in the OP doesn't mention the company nor does the original article from telegraaf.nl but after some googling I found this company Genicap that is co-owned by Johan Gielis who discovered the formula. Johan Gielis does have some patents that reference the formula but I know nothing of patents so I don't know if the patents can be used against No Man's Sky although there is something called the idea–expression divide that might protect Hello Games.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Here is the article were the Superformula is mention it is at the bottom about 24 paragraphs down. The article in the OP doesn't mention the company nor does the original article from telegraaf.nl but after some googling I found this company Genicap that is co-owned by Johan Gielis who discovered the formula. Johan Gielis does have some patents that reference the formula but I know nothing of patents so I don't know if the patents can be used against No Man's Sky although there is something called the idea–expression divide that might protect Hello Games.

Nice rundown. Thanks for sharing this. Adding to OP.

In theory.

In practice, its been repeatedly demonstrated that PAtent Offices do not understand fundamental principles of computing, and the line between what is unpatentable maths and what is 'work product' or 'a specific implementation method' is incredibly blurry when it comes to software.

Especially when money is involved.

The reality is that the legal system itself is slow, and the creation or modification of laws related to that system even slower. Toss in an emphasis on historical precedent like you have in the US, and changing the laws to adapt to the speed at which technology changes seems like an insane prospect.

I don't know the fix for this, but I tend to agree that the patent system in much of the world is fundamentally broken. Businesses can rise and fall in the potential years it could take you to protect yourself using even a legitimate patent. With all the abuse of the system, it makes it even more frustrating.

LordRaptor

The reality is that the legal system itself is slow

It's not even that; most laws assume patents once granted are valid and that patents are not awarded frivolously or erroneously, so its a legal case with the odds against you in the first place in proving that a patent is invalid, so the system is automatically setup in such a way that the entity with more money to spend on lawyers is at an advantage.

The original concept of patents were so that humanity as a whole could benefit from new technologies and discoveries, but the inventor of a new technology would have a window of opportunity to benefit from that technology first.

For traditional manufacturing processes - say, the invention of the motorcar - a 20 year window where you are either sole vendor or where you can earn money from licencing makes sense; it took time to set up manufacturing processes, retail channels, vendor logistics, etc.

For a software patent, 20 years is a fucking century long monopoly, in terms of time to implement and distribute software over the web, and the speed at which technology improves.

Faustek

This company isn't claiming sweeping rights to any procedural generation of worlds, but to Sean's use of the so-called Superformula which algorithmically describes shapes found in nature.

The thing is, there's plenty of prior art of the use of the Superformula in computer graphics, so unless Dutch patent law is really odd I don't know how this would stand up in court. That's probably why Hello has ignored them.

Affirmative.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The fact that they're using the Superformula doesn't seem to have been public until relatively recently. And they do say they have been trying to contact Hello games directly, we don't know when they started.

Or possibly they may have been waiting until their most directly relevant patent - one about "generating naturalistic scenery on an amusement device" - got approved in the US, which happened in April. Its probably worth mentioning that that patent seems to have only been filed after NMS was announced, though they have earlier more general ones.

Fair enough. Would suck for Hello and people looking forward to NMS, but at the same time, if the patent has been infringed then appropriate action should be taken.

Hopefully they can come to a settlement that gets a win/win.

RexNovis

Banned
What a load of BS. This is a custom made algorithm that was made in house by Hello Games. The only people who should own rights to that formula are the people who made it not some company who patented a similar concept. Apparently I was wrong and this particular formula was used to help generate believable life forms.

Regardless, this crap makes me so angry. People can't create something themselves so they just try to take advantage of people who can instead. Absolutely infuriating.

malfcn

Those is such a weird issue with alot of broad ramifications. Mathematics, programming, DNA etc.

Did Bill Gates discover Windows?

It does seem kind of dumb that Hello games admitted to using the formula. Whether or not its legitimate and a bullshit patent, the evidence is pretty damning. Surely it should be an unwritten rule "never admit to using something of someone else's creation" especially in our litigious environment.

LOL, this is ridiculous. Any given piece of software could use potentially dozens of algorithms that were previously come up with. For a videogame, it's guaranteed. Any game with path finding probably uses A*. Any game with AI probably uses some decision tree structure and algorithm. The idea that you have to "hide" an algorithm being used in nonsense.

100% of developers use algorithms of someone else's creation. This isn't a generalization either. This is an indisputable fact

Calabi

LOL, this is ridiculous. Any given piece of software could use potentially dozens of algorithms that were previously come up with. For a videogame, it's guaranteed. Any game with path finding probably uses A*. Any game with AI probably uses some decision tree structure and algorithm. The idea that you have to "hide" an algorithm being used in nonsense.

100% of developers use algorithms of someone else's creation. This isn't a generalization either. This is an indisputable fact

Well yeah I know, but the people whom make up the rules and those whom judge them arent necessarily smart reasonable people. So best to err on the side of caution until things change(which may be a while).

In one of the Dreams videos for PS4 the devs go to wikipedia and literally copy/paste formulae into the game.

Orca

What a load of BS. This is a custom made algorithm that was made in house by Hello Games. The only people who should own rights to that formula are the people who made it not some company who patented a similar concept. Apparently I was wrong and this particular formula was used to help generate believable life forms.

Regardless, this crap makes me so angry. People can't create something themselves so they just try to take advantage of people who can instead. Absolutely infuriating.

Create something like...a formula for generating random and believable lifeforms?

You're arguing FOR the patent there, you realize that right?

Very strange since he already said publicly that he had been using it in NMS. I believe another dev Innes also mentioned it in a tech talk. I guess he could have replaced it with his own algorithm, but his tweet comes off a bit defensive. It wasn't a "non-story" because the only info we had was that they had been testing the Superformula in the game and Sean was happy with the results. I think it's also weird that he calls it "this superformula thing", like he doesn't know what it is, when he's the one that brought it up in an interview.

Regardless, it's great to hear this is a non-issue.

c0Zm1c

Very strange since he already said publicly that he had been using it in NMS. I believe another dev Innes also mentioned it in a tech talk. I guess he could have replaced it with his own algorithm, but his tweet comes off a bit defensive. It wasn't a "non-story" because the only info we had was that they had been testing the Superformula in the game and Sean was happy with the results. I think it's also weird that he calls it "this superformula thing", like he doesn't know what it is, when he's the one that brought it up in an interview.

I thought that to be strange too. Nevertheless, it could be that they've developed it to the point that it's no longer recognisable as the Superformula. To prove it would require revealing the source code, something Sean Murray likely wouldn't want to do. The meeting to "chat maths" could be to stay on good terms with Johan Gielis and Genicap, as trading knowledge is something they are interested in.

diaspora

IIRC he said had plugged it in to see it work, but I don't think he said he actually integrated it into the game proper.

LordRaptor

The meeting to "chat maths" could be to stay on good terms with Johan Gielis and Genicap, as trading knowledge is something they are interested in.

Yeah, but the stated intention of using this formula for scientific research, or general mathematical progress is somewhat undermined by the fact it got fucking patented in the first place.

A goal of "just want to advance our undestanding" with a side aim of working with other contributors would be an open source project under a legally protected licence like the GPL

If Genicap owns the patent, then Hello Games needs to pay royalties and licensing fees.

Doesn't mean the game needs to be delayed.

But it does mean Hello Games has to pay the copyright owners their share.

DGaio

Maybe he refered to "super formula" as the same way someone says "algorithm","equation", "function", etc. Meaning it's just a label to something that can difere from implementation to implementation.

c0Zm1c

Yeah, but the stated intention of using this formula for scientific research, or general mathematical progress is somewhat undermined by the fact it got fucking patented in the first place.

A goal of "just want to advance our undestanding" with a side aim of working with other contributors would be an open source project under a legally protected licence like the GPL

Oh I agree. "Filthy opportunists" did spring to mind when I read this line in the PC Gamer article:

Sparrow said Genicap is making a game of its own based on the formula, and that “it would be great if we could trade knowledge with Hello Games.”

Which I think shows that their intention with the claim isn't exactly just to protect the patent. Because if it was they wouldn't care about what Hello Games was supposedly doing with Superformula and would only want them to stop.

IIRC he said had plugged it in to see it work, but I don't think he said he actually integrated it into the game proper.

The Business Insider article states:
A huge secret behind the realism is a fascinating biological algorithm that's been described as a scientific "Superformula." Relying on this and other math to generate star systems and worlds, they've created an immersive cosmos full of unique planets and animals unlike anything we've ever seen.

It's possible the BI writer overstated or misrepresented the importance, but that would be a pretty big misrepresentation given the "huge secret behind the realism" line. We don't actually have any direct quotes from Sean in this article.

Innes (née Hazel) had a slide on the Superformula in his proc gen talk from last year, and said,
"A good example of that is the Superformula, that's something that Sean has been looking into recently."

So that's a much smaller statement. Either way, it confirms Sean has knowledge of the formula and was researching it, so his tweet comes off a bit strange. Anyway, I hope Hello can get past this quickly; the last thing they need is another lawsuit.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No Man’s Sky devs meeting with Dutch company to discuss patent claims

Eurogamer reached out to Sparrow today to find out how the situation currently stands, and things aren’t looking dire, so that’s good.

“There have been several sources and people (Sean Murray himself, among others) who have indicated more or less directly that the Superformula has been used,” he said.

“Yesterday Sean Murray invited us for a cup of coffee at Hello Games in order for him to clarify things. We will certainly do that.”

2AdEPT

An interesting thread...I know nothing about patents, but logically, if this guy was so steeped in his own superformula being GOd's gift to creation, then why isnt he the one releasing his game next week?

When Murray said his algorithm was "BASED" on the superformula, I took this to mean he created his own formula, and hence why he can be so confident that he didnt use the other guy's, becuase the other guys doesnt work yet..he has no finished product. I realize ideas can be patented without being finished...but in this case it sounds like a stretch.

Of course I dont know for sure, but it sure sounds like this guy patented an idea (like virtual reality) and still hasnt been able to make it work in reality yet and Sean Murray has.

Didnt the last (blobby?fishy?) procedural title that came out use a similar superformula?

Top Bottom