• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm |OT| Hella Walk with Me

But that's what the Collector Mode is for. It shouldn't overwrite your choices?
That's what I thought, but after I collected everything I went back to the menu to refresh the stats on the choices. There was no history of my choices made after the point I returned to to get the missed items.

I've played the first LiS so I thought it would be okay, maybe I did something wrong on my end but as soon as you finish the episode it says play collector's mode to get the items you missed. I clicked on it, did my thing. Don't know what happened but figured I'd warn you anyway.

Larkoz

She
knew things Chloe had done even though she wasn't there to witness them so I think she's aware on some level.

So you're saying
she's got wind power... and time traveling power? Seems weird and random. Why two powers and only one for Max? The time traveling thing fits Max, not Rachel. However she really wanted to escape Arcadia Bay, this hypothetical wind ability makes more sense for this character.

So you're saying
she's got wind power... and time traveling power? Seems weird and random. Why two powers and only one for Max? The time traveling thing fits Max, not Rachel. However she really wanted to escape Arcadia Bay, this hypothetical wind ability makes more sense for this character.
She
may just have time seeing abilities, not travelling. Maybe she can see the past but not the future? I don't think she has time abilities at all. I think she just has wind powers of a sort. Obviously we only got a taste of what her capabilities are since it was only shown at the end. Only time will tell what her true powers are. However, given one of the track names on the OST is witches, I'm guessing she's a 'witch'.

Akai__

She
knew things Chloe had done even though she wasn't there to witness them so I think she's aware on some level.

What gave you that impression?
Because on my playthrough, I can't think of anything that indicated that she knew about Chloe's past other than the 2 truths and 1 lie game, but even then, I took it as logic. Not sure if there is an alternate part where it's more clear, but I'd like to know, because THAT is pretty interesting.

That's what I thought, but after I collected everything I went back to the menu to refresh the stats on the choices. There was no history of my choices made after the point I returned to to get the missed items.

I've played the first LiS so I thought it would be okay, maybe I did something wrong on my end but as soon as you finish the episode it says play collector's mode to get the items you missed. I clicked on it, did my thing. Don't know what happened but figured I'd warn you anyway.

Thanks for the heads up.

carlsojo

What gave you that impression?
Because on my playthrough, I can't think of anything that indicated that she knew about Chloe's past other than the 2 truths and 1 lie game, but even then, I took it as logic. Not sure if there is an alternate part where it's more clear, but I'd like to know, because THAT is pretty interesting.

Thanks for the heads up.

She knew that
you talked your way past the bouncer, and that you stood up for Nathan. Both things she wasn't present for. There was a third thing? I think but I can't remember.

The Raven will definitely play an important role. Perhaps Rachels spirit animal?

Which is interesting since
you would think a Doe would be her spirit animal.

Akai__

She knew that
you talked your way past the bouncer, and that you stood up for Nathan. Both things she wasn't present for. There was a third thing? I think but I can't remember.

Both things that she could have been present for, but still an interesting observation. I'm all for this theory.

Ravelle

This game is stressing me out because I can't use my time wizard powers and undo my choices :(

You can save your ass with sick rap battles though.

I'm halfway through and loving it, Chloe's voice is perfectly fine with me and I'm just glad I'm in Arcadia Bay again, love that world, even without crazy time travel.

Both things that she could have been present for, but still an interesting observation. I'm all for this theory.

I thought she mentioned that
she had been watching Chloe or something. And even then it's not hard to look out the window and see this stuff happening. We know she was right outside the door at the school and somewhere nearby at the mill. She doesn't need time powers for that lmao.

She screams and unleashes the gust of wind twice. The timing is too good to be a coincidence.

Finished the first episode earlier. Really enjoyed it, but man, the game just really looks ugly. I hope by the next Life is Strange game, DontNod and Deck 9 either switch engines, and/or upgrade models/assets. Didn't run that well either on PS4 for me.

Akai__

I thought she mentioned that
she had been watching Chloe or something. And even then it's not hard to look out the window and see this stuff happening. We know she was right outside the door at the school and somewhere nearby at the mill. She doesn't need time powers for that lmao.

She screams and unleashes the gust of wind twice. The timing is too good to be a coincidence.

Yeah, which is why I said that she could be present for it. I'm just curious what the 3rd thing is and if there is really more to it than we think there is.

I thought the wind thing was way more obvious and I said it as a joke earlier, but I'm really curious if she will be the reason the Tornado exists.

Demoskinos

I'm still not convinced about this
"Rachel has powers" stuff. But...considering Max did have time travel powers I guess that isn't totally insane I just think it would be a letdown that the whole crux of the story might just revolve around her having powers that she may/may not know she has control of.

epmode

Has anyone found a way to disable chromatic aberration (and nothing else) in the PC version? The options screen doesn't break down the postprocessing effects in a useful manner.

Really, disabling CA in the last game made it look far better so I'd like a similar option in Before the Storm.

Finished the first episode earlier. Really enjoyed it, but man, the game just really looks ugly. I hope by the next Life is Strange game, DontNod and Deck 9 either switch engines, and/or upgrade models/assets.

They did switch engines. That's the reason I can't easily disable CA like I could in the last game.

Larkoz

Finished the first episode earlier. Really enjoyed it, but man, the game just really looks ugly. I hope by the next Life is Strange game, DontNod and Deck 9 either switch engines, and/or upgrade models/assets. Didn't run that well either on PS4 for me.

I mean, sure, sometimes better textures would be welcome, but it looks really nice to me. Not as much as the first one, but still, I love the style and the lighting. It's far from being an ugly game, come on.

Fantomas

End of Ep 1 spoliers:
I think my only issue with the "Rachel has wind powers" thing is like, wouldn't Chloe have known about it and maybe mentioned this to Max at some point in the first game?

Max: I have magic time travel powers.
Chloe: Really? Rachel had magic wind powers!
Max: Huh, that's strange.
Chloe: You know, Max, life really is strange.

I do like the theory though and I hope that's what's going on, I just wonder how consistent it will end up being with the first game's story. It could be that Rachel never learns how to control her powers like Max, and it's just this mysterious thing that she can't explain. Maybe the wind is only one form that they can take on. She was obviously very angry when it happened, so maybe its something that only happens when she's feeling really emotional.

I'm going to be speculating like this for months lol.

carlsojo

End of Ep 1 spoliers:
I think my only issue with the "Rachel has wind powers" thing is like, wouldn't Chloe have known about it and maybe mentioned this to Max at some point in the first game?

Max: I have magic time travel powers.
Chloe: Really? Rachel had magic wind powers!
Max: Huh, that's strange.
Chloe: You know, Max, life really is strange.

I do like the theory though and I hope that's what's going on, I just wonder how consistent it will end up being with the first game's story. It could be that Rachel never learns how to control her powers like Max, and it's just this mysterious thing that she can't explain. Maybe the wind is only one form that they can take on. She was obviously very angry when it happened, so maybe its something that only happens when she's feeling really emotional.

I'm going to be speculating like this for months lol.

In the original game I remember some graffiti near the lighthouse
a pyramid of glyphs that Max describes "that it feels like wind".

I missed speculating between episodes!

Fantomas

Yes, I just started replaying the first game last night and totally noticed that.
Max says "These glyphs remind me of... the wind." Also, I still need to replay the first ep of Before the Storm, but I swear the same glyphs were on the train car that Chloe and Rachel hopped on to. It might have been a different layout, but I think there were some of the same glyphs on one of the walls.

Jachaos

Played the first episode with friends last night, we really enjoyed it! Loved the original and didn't know know how this would end up but I'm happy with it!

YlRdas1.jpg

carlsojo

Yes, I just started replaying the first game last night and totally noticed that.
Max says "These glyphs remind me of... the wind." Also, I still need to replay the first ep of Before the Storm, but I swear the same glyphs were on the train car that Chloe and Rachel hopped on to. It might have been a different layout, but I think there were some of the same glyphs on one of the walls.

Ahhh I was
wondering that too. Was gonna go back to the train and see if I could match up the glyphs!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The Raven will definitely play an important role. Perhaps Rachels spirit animal?

I feel that's actually Chloe's spirit animal. One of her shirts has a raven on it.
And it makes sense, I'd think.

Hwoar

When this got announced I was afraid it would be a bad spin off. But I actually really enjoyed it. Hurry with ep 2 pls.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
God, I love Daughter's music here. I freaked out when I saw their names in the credits, I had absolutely forgot they were doing the OST.

I still miss the vibes from the Syd Matters guy, but this is damn good.

I can't wait for the following episode.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
What if
Chloe never exclusively learns Rachel has powers? Like, we, the player, know, but she doesn't.

I feel this is what's going to happen. Chloe has said outright that
she can't read her while Rachel can.

Larkoz

Not related to the game, unfortunately. That was a reference to a popular sci-fi/fantasy book written by the co-founder of Dontnod, La Horde du Contrevent (The Horde of Counterwind). Each symbol represents a member of the 34th horde. In this world, the hordes have been trained since birth to march all the way to the source of the Wind, which never stops.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Ran into only one technical issue on PC - my mouse sensitivity resets to default every time I boot up the game.

Anyways, just finished Ep. 1. Overall it was a super strong start that evoked all the same emotions I got from the original. Music, atmosphere, graphics... it's very impressive how well Deck Nine nailed the LiS feel and presentation. And some sequences really stood out because they were either hilarious or incredibly moving.

Highlights for me:

Chloe's inner voice, especially her sarcastic commentary. A good contrast to Max's thoughts and puns. "Also, Chloe, you're poor and in trouble." Lol.

The DnD campaign. Steph and Mikey are solid additions to the cast and it was fun to see Chloe get excited and nerd out about something.

Rachel's distraction at the park. I died at her "Nnnnnooooo" when Chloe told picnicker guy to give mouth-to-mouth, haha.

And then everything showing Chloe's turmoil, especially the dream sequences with her dad and the scene at the junkyard. Having all your options turn into "Smash," building up to you hitting the S key to pound on the car hood... whew. What a way to illustrate Chloe's frustrations. That scene was on par with some of the peaks from the original.

Can't say enough good things about Deck Nine's character work. Chloe's pitch-perfect but I was worried that Rachel wouldn't live up to the hype, since she's like a mythical figure in the original game. But the interactions with Rachel in BtS are incredibly appealing, so it's easy to see why she became so important to Chloe at this specific point in time.

Now the wait for Ep. 2...

dottme

I'm joining the group of people who enjoy the game.
I've just finish my first play through and I cannot wait for episode 2.
I did like all the small event going on. However, I have a feeling that the overall story progress really slowly and there is only 3 episodes.

carlsojo

It's pretty impressive that Deck 9 managed to

1) make a worthy prequel

2) add depth to characters introduced in the original

3) introduce new interesting characters (what up Steph)

4) still give the fans things to speculate over even though we thought we knew what all went down before the storm

smokey5604

Neo Member
I am very pleased that my worries so far have been unfounded. Having a prequel story that, when announced, I believed would undermine the original prove to me that it has something worth telling is a very pleasant change of pace!

I adore the first LiS and the folks over at Deck9 have really captured alot of the charm that it had. I wasn't the biggest fan of Chloe, but now that I am in the position to hear her internal dialogue and also guide her decisions has immediately created a connection to her character. Also her new voice actress does a phenomenal job, to the point where I forgot that she wasn't Ashley Burch at certain points!

I eagerly await the next episode, I really hope we don't have to wait too long!

(and now I am going to replay the original because I need my fix haha)

It's pretty impressive that Deck 9 managed to

1) make a worthy prequel

2) add depth to characters introduced in the original

3) introduce new interesting characters (what up Steph)

4) still give the fans things to speculate over even though we thought we knew what all went down before the storm

I agree totally. Having just played through today I am very impressed with the prequel.

Osahi

Finished it last night. I hadn't expected at all how good this would be. I was moved and mesmerised.

It's very slow at the start, but very confident in how it eases you into Chloes life (I didn't like her in LiS all that much, now I want to stick with her for longer), how it (re)builds it's world and characters. And once the main plot starts
spending time with Rachel
, you're completely imersed.

I also love how the plot doesn't introduce a supernatural element, even though it is somewhat hinted at at times. The focus is on the drama and the characters, and the game is all the better for it. A lot of scenes hit me right in the feels. I hope they keep any possible supernatural element as lowkey as possible. And I feel they will.

Take note Telltale. How much I enjoy your games, designwise they start to seem very lazy compared to stuff like this.

FrsDvl

Plot twist: Rachel created the Tornado in Life is Strange.

That's honestly not too far fetched, I've had the same idea.

Minor Life is strange spoiler/theory
Rachel's death caused the tornado which also transferred her powers over to Max

Clegg

Reading through Chloe's texts really hammers home how bad a friend Max was. It was mentioned numerous times in LiS and Max apologised so many times for it. But reading those texts is a simple way of driving it home. She completely ignored Chloe. Did we ever get Max's side of the story for why she did that.

The journal entries also shed some more light on the relationship. Like Chloe resents Max for leaving just after her father died but would still be her best friend in a heartbeat if she came back. Just adds a bit extra to what we saw in LiS.

Some nice work by the devs.

Spinifex

Possibly my favourite exchange of the episode is
lying about the chemistry answer to Victoria
. The comedy is on point in this game, laughed out loud quite a few times.

NeoRaider

Started playing it today and from the first half hour Chloe's VA is not bad at all. Actually she sounds very convincing and similar to Chloe from LiS.

Necron

Reading through Chloe's texts really hammers home how bad a friend Max was. It was mentioned numerous times in LiS and Max apologised so many times for it. But reading those texts is a simple way of driving it home. She completely ignored Chloe. Did we ever get Max's side of the story for why she did that.

The journal entries also shed some more light on the relationship. Like Chloe resents Max for leaving just after her father died but would still be her best friend in a heartbeat if she came back. Just adds a bit extra to what we saw in LiS.

Some nice work by the devs.

I'd imagine trying to settle in at a new location just comes with its own stressful situations of adapting and thus connection to the old home just involuntary fades away... and is slowly forgotten.

Edit: I know from myself that this is true; contact just sometimes ceases. I know of only a singular person left in my home town.

I'll need to read those messages and journal on my 2nd time through. Somehow forgot about it whilst playing.

Top Bottom