• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson Comments on Xbox One features (and also a general bit of commentary).

I highly doubt that'll happen.

Albert earlier said you could swap between 2 games.

Then in his second bigger post he said you can be between 2 apps and then never once mentioned between 2 games. So something tells me he's either confused, or perhaps talking it up a little bit.

|
V

Yeah so up in the air atm. I wonder if this is even a launch feature :/

He said specifically that you can swap between games if the games were both digital. Its the disc side that is tbd

"If the games were purchased digitally, yes you can. Obviously, when we went back to discs this is something you loose because you need to go insert the disc.

There are still some details to be worked out that may be game specific. "

So basically, by digital everyone meant "being connected to the internet". The fast switching is cool when you think about it, but how often you'll actually use it or want to use it remains to be seen--if the match-making works as it says it does that'll be one instance.
He said that multiple games can be suspended at the same time, meaning their states are saved allowing you to instantly switch between them. Not that they were running at the same time.

Yes, the matchmaking will be one instance where you might multitask between multiple games using the instant switching.
But I think one of the biggest benefits of storing suspended states is that games will start up instantly.
No you might not usually switch inbetween two games on the fly, but the fact that they will load almost instantly to where you left off is not something to trivialize.

I'm actually curious about how "save states" end up working out in practice on the Xbox One. Obviously, I don't expect to instantly switch between a ton of games or whatever with 0 loading times, but I could potentially see switching between 4 games without having to do the full "boot-up, watch 5 legal and logo screens, watch the intro cutscene that hides some caching, and then finally get the menu". Maybe the most recent suspended game is instant, while the other 3 would take 5-10 seconds?

Expect something like this. Again (this is not trying to be an excuse) different games will handle this differently. But you have a good grasp of the experience we're hoping to achieve.

Game-to-Game switching will be fast. Must faster then today.

Game-to-Application switching/snapping will be nearly instant. And you can use your voice to do it, so you don't even have to pick up a controller.

statham

5 minutes ago you said you could have game+game running..kinda weird how you didn't include that in that list.

You sure you can have 2 games running at the same time?
you got the posts backwards, he said game+game after the list, specifically answering a question.

Edit: see above

ToyBroker

Banned
He said that multiple games can be suspended at the same time, meaning their states are saved allowing you to instantly switch between them. Not that they were running at the same time.

Yes, the matchmaking will be one instance where you might multitask between multiple games using the instant switching.
But I think one of the biggest benefits of storing suspended states is that games will start up instantly.
No you might not usually switch inbetween two games on the fly, but the fact that they will load almost instantly to where you left off is not something to trivialize.

As I said, the matchmaking is kinda neat for very low population game communities...but it's already fast as hell--as someone said earlier, you barely have time to take a leak.

And no one is trivializing the suspended states, PS4 does it too.

you got the posts backwards, he said game+game after the list, specifically answering a question.

Edit: see above

Yes very true. My fault.

Expect something like this. Again (this is not trying to be an excuse) different games will handle this differently. But you have a good grasp of the experience we're hoping to achieve.

Game-to-Application switching/snapping will be nearly instant. And you can use your voice to do it, so you don't even have to pick up a controller.

Albert I'm telling you brother, if "App Switching" is in a little square on the back of the box, you guys are gonna be in deep doo-doo. Just sayin'. As in only certain games can do it depending on their scope.

1. The PS4 has superior hardware
2. The PS4 has a superior stable of first-party developers

If it turns out that Xbox One can achieve parity with PS4 for multiplat performance then I may actually lean towards the One, but as it stands I think the PS4 provides the better gaming experience.
I'd put the hardware about equal to the OS and services in terms of providing a quality experience (imho). Yeah, I don't want to see one console unable to hit target framerates or losing some pretty lighting effect or sparklies, but nor do I want have a bunch of wait states or have to jump through hoops to get a game going with friends.

Its why I still have both pre-orders right now. That'll narrow down to one in the final month, but for right now its cool to see the consoles battle it out with features and software.

Miles X

Meh, not a big multiplayer fan so not sure I'll get much benefit out of this, am mega excited about just seem all the other little changes they've made to Xbox Live though.

I figured both MS and Sony are taking a lot of inspiration from the things we take for granted on smartphones. Good to hear.

Hypervisors gonna hypervise

Albert I'm telling you brother, if "App Switching" is in a little square on the back of the box, you guys are gonna be in deep doo-doo. Just sayin'. As in only certain games can do it depending on their scope.

I'm not sure what you mean. Read the article that Boyd did about the system OS. Bad title, but good article.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/59251/features...ng-the-ram-is-good-for-developers-and-gamers/

App switching isn't controlled by the games. We built Xbox One fundamentally with the idea of being able to run side-applications, concurrent apps, and instant switching from the beginning, without compromising core game performance.

It's possible someday there will be an example where I'm wrong, but the intent is that these features (instant switching, snap mode, etc.) should work with any game.

Everdred

Smart match and dedicated servers are two massive bullet points over PlayStation 4. I was going to pass up the One but it's becoming hard. I can't tell you how many old 360 games I tried to play online but had to wait 20-30 minutes for a match. Now I can play another game or similar while I wait.

Wereroku

Smart match and dedicated servers are two massive bullet points over PlayStation 4. I was going to pass up the One but it's becoming hard. I can't tell you how many old 360 games I tried to play online but had to wait 20-30 minutes for a match. Now I can play another game or similar while I wait.

PS4 is also going to have dedicated servers. If a third party games utilizes dedi servers both consoles will be dedi same if one is not the other wont be. Its called standardization and it reduces costs on multi platform development. As for Smart match we don't even know sony's solution. Any way back on topic these features sound awesome even if I don't think I will use them alot. Most of the games I am interested in will probably not have long waits or be like destiny where it dynamically matches you. Albert can you elaborate on where the saved instances are saved ram vs HDD? Will it save your state even if you do a full shutdown and unplug the console.

rawd

Um not really.

Excellent moderating. I was getting tired of the "lol PR" mantra on this forum

I agree. Come on, we know it's PR, and what obviously comes with that is that he isn't going to say bad stuff about his own company's product, but we as a forum that follows this kind of stuff religiously, largely live for this kind of thing. It's how we try to keep ourselves informed. So, keeping that in mind, it's especially surprising when we are dismissing something on the very grounds alone that it's PR and expected to be an attempt to promote a particular game product. For better or worse, PR in some form or another helps drive forums like this.

Sure, you have PR that is entirely meaningless, but I don't feel this qualifies as such.

Changes to the reputation system are interesting, and I want to see how that turns out. The upload studio seems like it could be cool, and obviously better matchmaking is always a positive. Their upgrading Xbox Live as much as they say they have is something they would be foolish not to talk about.

Its way too early to call. We don't even know for sure what either one is going to be like at launch.

sunnz

I would put $100 on many many people not even recognising the difference between the better match making.

Many PS3 exclusives and multi plats have dedicated servers anyway.

Mik_Pad

Banned

The bolded part has me a little confused, can I have 2 games running at the same time and switch between them at any given time?

BTW thanks for taking your time to clear this kind of stuff, very much appreciated.

Wereroku

The bolded part has me a little confused, can I have 2 games running at the same time and switch between them at any given time?

BTW thanks for taking your time to clear this kind of stuff, very much appreciated.

In a way you can. It's probably going to be a lot like ios. You can have one running game and multiple suspended games. Albert says quick switching is important so it will be like having multiple running games but when suspended all actions stop.

I hope this works out good for clans. In games like COD or BF or something. Say there are 6 of you on COD and you want to play against 6 others in a clan. Maybe it will have some clan matching where you put in those specifics and it finds it for you.

EvB

In a way you can. It's probably going to be a lot like ios. You can have one running game and multiple suspended games. Albert says quick switching is important so it will be like having multiple running games but when suspended all actions stop.

I don't believe this to the the case

You are going to be able to run a single Xbox one game , you won't be able to instantly switched between Forza 5 and Battlefield.

You'll be able to go between a game and other OS stuff instantly , ie TV or an app.

With the matchmaking, you are basically going to be having a dedicated server queuing on your behalf, when it's found you a game it sends you a message and you can boot directly to the game, a little like you can currently accept a game invite for a 360 games on demand title and be sent from the dash or another game straight to the lobby.

Think of it as a friend just sending you a link in an email, you click the link and it takes you to the page you want to see, now imagine your friend is an azure server.

Wizman23

Banned
If the games were purchased digitally, yes you can. Obviously, when we went back to discs this is something you loose because you need to go insert the disc.

There are still some details to be worked out that may be game specific.

So there are some details still TBD. But the intent of how we built the system was to do exactly that.

This is why I wish the Xbox One original policy's stayed in place (Yes I know I'm a huge minority on that subject). No big deal though other then the fact that I will never purchase a hard copy of a game ever again. In regards to this I hope MS allows for pre loading of games a la Steam. I'm a big fan of midnight launches for big releases and I would hate if the digital copy wasn't available to start downloading until midnight hit.

I doubt I can get an answer but can TV and a game run at the same time on 1 screen? Watching a live sporting event while gaming at the same time sounds like heaven.

EvB

I doubt I can get an answer but can TV and a game run at the same time on 1 screen? Watching a live sporting event while gaming at the same time sounds like heaven.

Yes. But the game is always the big screen and the TV is the small one on the side

Karak

I never thought I would be interested as much as I am in the smart matchmaking and the ability to do something else but many of the games I played had long wait periods for games either due to smaller communities or specific game types. Insanely cool idea.

EvB

Well hopefully it should make it less crap to wait for a particular game type or map, or simply want to play in a game with people of a similar skill

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Enhanced Reputation and Enforcement

The Enforcement United program will complement Smart Match’s new reputation system on Xbox One. We’ve updated our proprietary algorithms for monitoring gaming behavior on Xbox Live, expanded scoring elements, engaged our enforcement team and created requirements for games to take reputation into account. The new reputation system is built on a model that accounts for how you behave and whether you positively or negatively affect others. As long as other players or the games you play are not negatively reporting you or your actions, you’ll maintain a positive reputation. Ways to weaken your reputation, for example, would be to join a competitive, veteran area and try to disrupt games, or join a casual play area and be a griefer. We’ve also worked hard to ensure this new system can’t be manipulated by groups of griefers. Our goal is to create a safe and fun place for gamers without BS from trolls and spammers. Casual gamers might not even notice that this new reputation system is in place, but trust me, serious online gamers will be glad it is.

This won't work.

Especially if it's a "self learning system" or what ever.

The problem lies in the pettiness of some online gamers. Oh, you won by a large margin because you're a good player? Have bad reputation. That will teach you. Took the sniper before me? Unsportsmanlike. Kept killing me in my little camping hole? Trash talking. etc etc.

Add that sort of player and a player like me together (top online "warrior" who rarely loses when trying) you end up with 90% bad reputation. A self learning system would look at that weighting and simply think it's correct even though fact is I rarely, if ever, talk to players who aren't friends. I'm either in party chat or don't have my mic plugged in these days but I would still be considered a "bad apple" by the smartmatch system and put into games that I wouldn't belong in.

This kind of stuff certainly intrigues me to go all digital with this console, and I've never done that before.

I'm really curious to see if there are day one discounts for games purchased digitally.

Bsigg12

Hey Albert, are you able to comment on if I wanted to say plug a 2TB external drive in, would I be able to set that to my primary location for downloads? I know it seems trivial I just want to make sure I can send all installs and downloads to that rather than the internal drive.

Nori Chan

My problem with going all digital for the X1 is that I'll be missing pre order dlc that you would get from retails and also will be missing out on Collector's Edition/Limited Editions.

Easy thing would be to just have a code for a digital download when it comes to the CE/LEs.

My problem with going all digital for the X1 is that I'll be missing pre order dlc that you would get from retails and also will be missing out on Collector's Edition/Limited Editions.

Easy thing would be to just have a code for a digital download when it comes to the CE/LEs.

Can you name me one piece of pre-order DLC that really mattered to you?

Barzul

This thread answered a bunch of questions I was unsure about. Xbox Live looks like it will ever improving in the next gen.

I'd like to know more about how Smart Match goes about selecting my ideal competitors (time played, play style, or just low latency?). It may be revealing too much to their competitors for MS to do this, but it would go a long way (at least to me) in helping to illustrate how much Live is evolving and what a great benefit it will be.

Once it's implemented, I hope there are significant experiences that show how much of a change there has been since the 360. I suppose though, the best result will be consistently good online games and you wouldn't really notice anything 'different'.

God damn I'm looking forward to the new matchmaking stuff. I never used my mic because it would just be drown out in 12 year olds cussing up a storm. I say banish them to their level of hell and let them game with each other and try to out yell each other.

I'd be really tempted to make an Xbox Live account JUST to have my rep go down so I can see what those matches are like.

I'm also excited about the app switching while waiting for a match. My friends and I like to play the newer party style modes on BO2 and it can take forever to get a full match. Now I don't need to sit and watch the screen say "Searching XXX/100 for Possible Players" over and over ad nauseam.

Here's your answer: You sure can. Saw a demo of it running recently. Full gameplay, with an HD TV stream snapped to the side.

Hey Albert, are you able to comment on if I wanted to say plug a 2TB external drive in, would I be able to set that to my primary location for downloads? I know it seems trivial I just want to make sure I can send all installs and downloads to that rather than the internal drive.

I can comment only to tell you I can't say yet. Once we announce our plans around external storage, I'll pop in for details.

Blueblur1

I very much doubt player matchmaking will be that much better and will be something "exclusive" to Xbox One. I'm sure many developers will develop better algorithms that will work on any platform. I'm also skeptical of the reputation system. They touted the 360's reputation system as being a great feature that would impact online matchmaking in a meaningful way and it never did. And at some point a such a feature could prove counterintuitive. What if I'm matched with quitters but its because I have a bad connection in my part of the country that I have no control over? At that point I may subjected to dealing with other quitters and/or cheaters for something that is out of my control. And finally, I have little interest or use for swapping between games and apps while waiting for a multiplayer match to begin. At most I'll wait 2 minutes for a match to begin. I rather spend those 2 minutes peeing, grabbing a glass of water or other beverage or simply using my smartphone in some capacity. It's not very practical to switch to the middle of a program to then switch back to my game. Do the OS developers think we have such short attention spans that said feature would actually be useful? That's the only reason why I think such a feature even exists.

Note the underlined section: This portion doesn't even make sense. They're basically saying, "You don't have to wait anymore! Just watch tv until it's ready!" Last I checked, that's waiting.

This sounds pretty cool. I play shooters pretty casually and I hate it when Halo or CoD dump me into a match with tons of people that have everything unlocked already. It makes me lose interest when I'm getting my ass whooped, so hopefully this turns into something useful.

Personally, I think this one is a good example of how Microsoft has been improperly marketing the console the past few months. They should be touting the benefits of Smart Match without trying to mince words so people think that matchmaking will move way faster when, in reality, they're really just making matchmaking a better service. Not every piece of PR has to have "Xbox One does TV!" stuffed into it.

I don't really take issue with the Xbox One's existence like some people do, but this is the type of stuff that's made me think twice about whether I'll pick one up down the road.

Stop being intentionally obtuse. Clearly you can wait while watching TV as opposed to twiddling your thumbs or taking out an additional device.

Satchel

Banned
I can comment only to tell you I can't say yet. Once we announce our plans around external storage, I'll pop in for details.

More to the point, when will you guys allow any size external storage on 360?

My 320GB is filling up fast with all the Games on demand sales. It would be nice to have a 1TB hooked up and not have to worry.

The 32GB limit seems awfully arbitrary and unnecessary.

model13

Soon, we’re going to start showing more of these features working on the box vs. just talking about it.

Some of the things that are being said, like “watching TV while waiting for a match” may not make sense in the construct of how systems work today.

But when you guys actually start seeing how the multiple-OS system works with Xbox One, how these features will change the way you use the system – I really think you will start to appreciate what we’ve been talking about. Our examples haven’t always been great. And it’s all fluff until you guys get to use it, I get that.

Things that take multiple button presses, menus, dashboards – will be nearly instant on the new box. And you can have two things running at the same time (actually, you can have MORE than two things running) – like a AAA game and another application, you’ll be able to have them running both at the same time, on the same screen, with no performance hit. Game + Netfix. Game + YouTube. Game + IE. Game + Chat. Game + Something new that has yet to be invented. Netflix + TV, Skype + Netflix… there are so many possibilities.

The concept of “saving a game” is going to be gone. Anyone ever been playing a game, and wanted to quickly do something else, just for a few minutes?. Watch a TV program with the SO? Check out a video on YouTube? Sure, you totally could pause the game and use your phone, we get that. But that’s because on the TV, that process has a bunch of steps and a takes a bunch of time – launch, load save game, play game, exit game to dashboard, launch new app, wait for app to start, exit out... you get the picture.

Now, you can do it INSTANTLY. Pause the game and snap another application on the side of the screen. Do what you want, unpause and the game picks right up.

It’s really going to be amazing, I think. Hope you guys will agree.

So if you are playing a game with a football game going on in the background, how will audio be handled. Will it be a single button/voice command to switch which function gets audio? Will there be a possibility for both audio channels out to different sources e.g. main speakers for tv and headphones for game?

bobot

Neo Member
This won't work.

Especially if it's a "self learning system" or what ever.

The problem lies in the pettiness of some online gamers. Oh, you won by a large margin because you're a good player? Have bad reputation. That will teach you. Took the sniper before me? Unsportsmanlike. Kept killing me in my little camping hole? Trash talking. etc etc.

Add that sort of player and a player like me together (top online "warrior" who rarely loses when trying) you end up with 90% bad reputation. A self learning system would look at that weighting and simply think it's correct even though fact is I rarely, if ever, talk to players who aren't friends. I'm either in party chat or don't have my mic plugged in these days but I would still be considered a "bad apple" by the smartmatch system and put into games that I wouldn't belong in.

This is a valid concern I believe. Skill and rating should remain separate.

I gotta be honest, I like the sound of a reputation system that works. Its a lofty goal to separate the non-trolls from the trolls. But I wonder how it works when you are grouped with a troll and you get reported just for being with that friend who happens to be very rowdy.

I personally never cared for the achievement/gamerscore stuff in gaming. Was fun to do a little bit but lost its glamor after completing one game to max score. Now I don't even look at achievements on steam...

MercGH

Banned
Xbox Live Multiplayer on Xbox One
You’ve told us that Xbox Live is the best service for online multiplayer gaming, and we’re continuing that tradition on Xbox One, where we’ve made the multiplayer experience the way we all want it: smart, quick and intuitive. What makes Xbox Live revolutionary on Xbox One? It’s the power. We’re investing in more than 300,000 servers to supercharge Xbox Live. With a wealth of new features and the stable service you need, Xbox Live on Xbox One offers you THE multiplayer experience to game with all of your friends

This is an awesome advantage over PS4 for online gaming. Dedicated servers make a huge difference for online games. Online games can feel completely different on a dedicated server than a player host.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Have they talked about whether it's easy or not to set someone to "avoid" while in game? Because honestly it's kind of a pain at the moment.

Maybe that's the point. I only ever do that when someone really gets under my skin and don't toss out reviews for players nonchalantly.

But with some games like the COD, Halo, or Gears games, I can't even remember all the people which is why I just eventually went to party chat and never returned.

Have they talked about whether it's easy or not to set someone to "avoid" while in game? Because honestly it's kind of a pain at the moment.

Maybe that's the point. I only ever do that when someone really gets under my skin and don't toss out reviews for players nonchalantly.

But with some games like the COD, Halo, or Gears games, I can't even remember all the people which is why I just eventually went to party chat and never returned.

Yes. In-game you now have two options for someone: Mute or Block. That ties into the reputation system as well. You don't have all of the different reporting options that you have now.

Heysoos

Party was such a great feature for Xbox Live, unfortunately it ruined some of the fun in some games. I'm not going to lie, I love trash talking. Especially when you're with a group of friends. Unfortunately, it seems too many don't know the difference between trash talking and being a racist homophobic douche. Also, way too many people blasting their stereos full blast with the headset on. Hopefully this system kind of revitalizes in game chat for games. I remember starting out on Xbox Live everyone greeting each other, talking trash in the lobbies, actually planning out strats and communicating. Sure, there were still a lot of assholes, but man most times the good outweighed the bad.

Does the Smart Matchmaking hold that spot for you? If so, for how long? Are people going to be in matches that are supposedly full, but some people haven't yet switched away from their other task? I hate jumping into a match in BF3 only to have the Your Team Lost screen immediately come up and taking the loss of a game I never even participated in. That's one thing I would love to avoid.

Enhanced Reputation is all talk until we see if it works, but a great idea. Hopefully it works.

Improved Matchmaking is... well, it certainly is.
Basically sounds like stuff you can do already on any other console by changing your input or using a phone/tablet/handheld while matchmaking runs, but with the benefit of getting an on-screen notification when the match is ready rather than needing to pay attention.

It's improved, yes, but hardly amazing.

VanWinkle

Some really nice features. I hope we hear some unique online functionality the PS4 has soon. If it has any unique stuff.

Sobriquet

I don't believe this to the the case

You are going to be able to run a single Xbox one game , you won't be able to instantly switched between Forza 5 and Battlefield.

You'll be able to go between a game and other OS stuff instantly , ie TV or an app.

Perhaps I misread it, but wasn't Albert saying that that's exactly how it will work, as long as both games are digital, not on a disc? Perhaps not instant, but definitely quickly.

Top Bottom