• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sim City is now down, the maintenance message is amazing

Rapstah

Im surprised all the people defending always online arent here to do damage control.

Who plays a game at launch anyway??? The game is down, so the only people who try to play the game now are sadists who have nothing better to do than complain about the hard work of the poor people at Maxis. MMOs have downtime all the time (WoW at least once a week and that launched in 2004!!!) and with the powerful social features in SimCity, it holds up to the best of MMOs IMO!!!

7zOh1GG.png

Bravo.

ToxicAdam

I have no pity for Day 1 gamers anymore. They deserve all the bullshit they have to endure.

I appreciate them though, because by the time I buy the game at 30 dollars, they have found most the bugs and worked out all the server issues.

sp3000

I have no pity for Day 1 gamers anymore. They deserve all the bullshit they have to endure.

I appreciate them, because by the time I buy the game at 30 dollars, they have found most the bugs and worked out all the server issues.

I got the game for $30 off Amazon. If I had to pay full price I would probably be requesting a refund by now.

Rad-

My message says the servers will be back at 7 PM GMT. The thing is, the servers went down 10 past 7 GMT.

GlassBox

Banned

I appreciate them though, because by the time I buy the game at 30 dollars, they have found most the bugs and worked out all the server issues.
Sad but true.

Sucks for Maxis, I'd imagine a good majority of the devs are going out of their minds and cursing Origin.

Shouldn't be hating on gamers who want to play a game they've been waiting for as soon as it's available. Let's stick to hating an always-online future and microtransactions.

I really feel for anyone that actually picked this up. This is absurd. It's as though there isn't someone at EA saying "hey, people already sort of hate us, we should probably avoid doing things to give them more reasons to hate us." If they pay me enough money, I will be that guy. I would have been willing to say to them "making a traditionally single player game into a multiplayer game that requires an online connection is not a good idea. But if you don't care about how your customers feel about that, at least make sure you have the server capacity."

At this point all of this has entered "so sad it's funny" territory for me. I saw this and just started laughing.

Sorry to all those who are affected, though.

Derrick01

Banned
Shouldn't be hating on gamers who want to play a game they've been waiting for as soon as it's available. Let's stick to hating an always-online future and microtransactions.

They don't deserve ANY blame though? Many bought the game knowing full well there was a risk that this would happen because of the online only DRM.

On a side note I could see this happening from a mile away. EA servers are the king of garbage and always fail on launch for one of their big games.

sp3000

Sad but true.

Sucks for Maxis, I'd imagine a good majority of the devs are going out of their minds and cursing Origin.

I don't think the issue is on Origin's end. It's all Maxis. BF3 launch was fine when it released, and I'm pretty sure demand was much higher for that game.

Maxis is just an incompetent studio.

Cartman86

Banned
Sucks but hyperbolic statements about never buying always online games are silly. The tech will get better, better companies will figure it out etc. Curious though when this issue gets fixed will those of you with the "Guess I'll be skipping this" attitude buy it? I'm waiting til the issues are ironed out, but I'll probably still get it. I don't have any problem philosophically with always online. Just the realities of some of the current implementations.

baphomet

I hope their latest foray into always online DRM scares them a little bit, knowing they're directly fucking paying customers. Everyone who is having issues should be reporting this to consumer protection agencies if they want to try and make a change.

Nekofrog

Banned

and she was ASKING for it when she got raped, right?

Metalmarc

Can EA patch this game so it can be played offline? Maybe woth a big chunk of code

I Know they won't , but maybe we can send them a message, like we wont buy it until they do something for those of us that havent refuse to until they either with a patch or they want to rework the whole game

The ones that have should stop playing it until they realise noones logging onto it and they get the message

"What? What's that? 60 bucks? Nope, you still aren't allowed to play, but we'll keep your money! :D We'll use it to make awesome DLC for you to buy".

JABEE

I guess it was good to publish a positive review early to "inform" readers of an experience that cannot be replicated by any person who tries to play the game.

Brinbe

Yeah, I got kicked a while ago... It better fucking sync my progress, but I doubt it. Simply the worst.

qwerty2k

Can EA patch this game so it can be played offline? Maybe woth a big chunk of code

I Know they won't , but maybe we can send them a message, like we wont buy it until they do something for those of us that havent refuse to until they either with a patch or they want to rework the whole game

The ones that have should stop playing it until they realise noones logging onto it and they get the message

iirc they have programmed the game like Diablo 3 whereby some of the processing for everyones games are done on the server and then fed back to the client which is why you can't play offline (well, one of the many reasons)

Top Bottom