• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm having a hard time dying in Shadow of Mordor

You can actually make the game incredibly fucking hard as well. I basically created an orc nemesis that was immune to most every form of kill, immune to all manner of fear tactics and had the ability that meant they were always heading directly towards your characters no matter where you were on the mpa so they would be showing up damn near every time I was trying to do something in an area and stayed there too long. Seriously, the dude was basically invincible and would fuck up my stealth infiltration or other things all the time.

It Follows: Middle Earth sounds amazing.

I actually had this same problem - I got over it by getting more in-character. Ork captains are toys, for you and the protagonist both. Death is literally meaningless to your character, and in the context of the game. So, what does a half-dead superpowered rage and grief driven avatar of vengeance do when killing starts to lose it's shine? He makes new amusement.

This is where the game started to really take off for me. I found the most tiny, frail, hunchbacked little mess of an ork captain I could, and started stalking him. Simply surviving an encounter with you raises an ork's status, so I would murder his entire band right in front of him, beat him until he wept and begged for mercy, and then grant it, only to chase him down and do it again when he reappeared. Delightfully, the Nemesis system seemed to take this into account. He started running from me on sight, and his speech became neurotic, even by ork standards. Meanwhile, he was climbing the ranks, but I was starting to get fond of this little mess of an ork, so I arranged a promotion for him.

Just like before, I stalked down his band and took out all his supporters, opting for a stealth solution this time, purely for the dramatic value of walking up to the other side of his campfire and staring at him while his panicked wails failed to bring reinforcements. He ran, I cornered him, and this time, he killed me. (It took some doing to get there. He really didn't want to fight me.) His celebration was even bigger then the promotion he received, but not as big as his panic when I came back from the dead and stalked him down again.

By this point, I was starting to get a bit bored of him. The project seemed to be complete, after all - I had successfully made an ork the protagonist of his own little story, and now it seemed a good time to take back the reins. So I found him one last time, ran through the middle of all his shocked soldiers, and popped his head like a grape.

Imagine my shock and elation when HE came back from the dead too! Whoever was in charge of the Ork Stove must have figured he was the best one yet, because he showed up in the rankings again, his head held together with sackcloth and iron rivets. I stopped showing mercy after that, but he always came back for more, up until the end of the game when he was the last ork I fought.

The game does get harder, too - Later on that sneaky little bastard got some genuine wins on me, but usually he would just hang out with a BUNCH of other captains and wait until I was engaged fighting a few hundred enemies to gank me. Nothing compared to the dozen or so times I murdered him in increasingly creative ways, but it was all deeply satisfying to have so many unexpected twists and turns in an organic story.

Damn, I went on a bit. Er, in conclusion, death (or the evasion thereof) is just another one of your powers in the game, and it unlocks the best part of the game.

Sanctuary

And by that, I mean *not purposely* dying. From what I can tell, part of the effects of the nemesis system is dying which could promote captains or regular orks to captains. That said, I didn't like the idea of dying on purpose. I guess in large part, this is because I tend to avoid dying by going to get plants to heal myself once it seems like I get into too much trouble.

Now I'm getting to the other area in the game and hoping there's enemies that can do the job. I have had a close call about 3 times, but each of those times I still made the last-minute comeback prompt.

When the game was new, a lot of people here were praising the Nemesis system. Too bad it does absolutely nothing if you never die. Just before the halfway point of the game too, it becomes almost impossible to die unless you simply put the controller down.

That's a whole lot of extra work, and essentially a repurposing of the gameplay just to find some enjoyment out of it.

Permanently A

I'm really interested in seeing how Shadow of War shakes it up. A lot of people mentioned grooming a Nemesis with really strong abilities to make the game harder - in War it seems like you're going to do that to create orc allies. I can only hope the enemies will scale in difficulty appropriately.

This, Batman, Horizon being the latest, etc are just using this flashy but ultimately unchallenging combat once a few skills/levels are reached, not sure what they need to do to improve it, but it's bad after mid game, you just get OP, then it's rinse and repeat, seriously this is sad

WaterAstro

I remember that once you get certain skills, you can literally take on an army. I forgot which one.

It's just like Batman. You're just unstoppable because the combat was designed to never be punishing for a modestly skilled player.

Rymuth

The game got so easy by the halfway point.

H34CMWS.gif
came here for this

Calabi

This is why I want to know how they've improved the combat in the sequel.

From the footage they've showed it looks to me like they've made it even easier and more pointless to play.

jacobeid

Banned
This is why the Nemesis System shouldn't get much praise.

Yup. 2014 was so weird when this and DA:I won so many awards. What the hell were people smoking? If people thought the nemesis system was that good then we would have started to see it implemented in other games by now. It's a gimmick that spiced up an insanely mediocre package.

You can actually make the game incredibly fucking hard as well. I basically created an orc nemesis that was immune to most every form of kill, immune to all manner of fear tactics and had the ability that meant they were always heading directly towards your characters no matter where you were on the mpa so they would be showing up damn near every time I was trying to do something in an area and stayed there too long. Seriously, the dude was basically invincible and would fuck up my stealth infiltration or other things all the time.

It Follows.

Fbh

You basically play as a middle Earth God In this. And you only keep getting more powerful towards the end.
If Talion was in the books it would have only been one book...And 20 pages long.

It ruins the game really. The nemesis system is a great idea that doesn't work because it's impossible to actually get a nemesis since it's so easy to kill everyone.

Everyone always talks about how easy that game is and I feel really bad because I got completely stuck and couldn't beat some early missions. :(

SCB3

It literally becomes almost OP level of breaking the game once you get the ability to Brand, before that it was similar to the Arkham games if you have good timing and rhythm, it was pretty easy

Falchion

If you want to make the combat a lot harder, do what I did and don't do any of the weapon upgrade missions and only upgrade what you can afford by doing nothing but the main story. The difficulty ramps way up and by the end you'll be thinking of creative ways to brand orc chiefs since the crowds around them can destroy you.

OniLordAsmodeus

Neo Member
And by that, I mean *not purposely* dying. From what I can tell, part of the effects of the nemesis system is dying which could promote captains or regular orks to captains. That said, I didn't like the idea of dying on purpose. I guess in large part, this is because I tend to avoid dying by going to get plants to heal myself once it seems like I get into too much trouble.

Now I'm getting to the other area in the game and hoping there's enemies that can do the job. I have had a close call about 3 times, but each of those times I still made the last-minute comeback prompt.

If you want to make it tougher, send more death threats to the chiefs and all his men, and when/if you fast travel, let time pass like when you die.

Death threats automatically level up your targets, giving them new abilities and what not, on top of giving you better loot when you kill them, and when you allow time to pass you allow everyone else in the hierarchy the opportunity to level up as well.

Taking down a high-level chief with 2 or 3 high-level bodyguards at his side, on top of all the other soldiers, caragore, or whatever else is in the area can be next to impossible at times. And keep in mind that doing these things not only just makes it harder, but it gives you better runes that can in turn make you more powerful down the line.

Another thing you can do as well is NOT upgrade your stats too. intentionally suppress your level, and you find that the game gets next to impossible at time. In many cases when you do this, you'll find that you can be on shotted by many different enemies.

All in all, yeah SoM can be "easy" if you play your cards right, but it can also be hella difficult too depending what you choose to do.

One other thing is you can play the challenge mode where you have to take down a whole army in a certain amount of time. Those can be tough because you don't have the time to plan, let alone have the time to gather the right intel on the best way to take down the enemy.

The thing that I thought was really great about SoM is that it's really as easy or as hard as you make it. Like, yeah, if you kill every orc captain as soon as you see them, they're never going to get powerful and will never challenge you...but it can get real easy for one of these guys to start gaining powers you weren't expecting and inadvertently turn them into unstoppable juggernauts.

I relied a little too much on last chance saving me, until I ran into a dude with a crossbow who blocked last chance and just killed you, so after a couple unsuccessful attempts to kill him he eventually got up to warchief status...he had so many modifiers that I didn't know how to handle him anymore, so I ended up branding *all* of the lieutenants below him, and goaded him into a trap, and then swept in after they all collectively whooped his ass.

And then I had to fight him again at the end of the game.

Game is great, just needed a lot more variety in locales.

Gaminar

Banned
For the ultimate prize brand all your warchiefs... get them into a commotion and then pop their heads off with 1 button. I think there is also a trophy for this. What was amazing though is that for me the playthrough was pretty damn tough.

Maximus P

I'm actually playing through this for the second time and I've died countless amount of times. The biggest culprit is a level 20 bastard called Gluk. The guy is immune to combat finishers, has a poisoned weapon and is immune to ranged attacks, he also hangs with 2 other level 20 Uruks that have ranged poison weapons and are also immune to combat finishers.

What makes this guy even more a pain in the ass is that he refuses to finish me. He knocks me down, then goes on his way after mocking me like the sorry piece of shit I am.

Hystzen

I tend to just never upgrade health and never get chain executions or anything that speeds them up. Turn off markers then wait at a tower 10-15 times then start the game

Have been playing it this past week and I had the hardest time with a few of the thugs but once I got
Ratbag
advanced and did all of the weapon legend quests, it's now easy mode. Just got to the second map last night.

I gotta say.. The game has held up nicely and still is quite the looker.
Yup. 2014 was so weird when this and DA:I won so many awards. What the hell were people smoking? If people thought the nemesis system was that good then we would have started to see it implemented in other games by now. It's a gimmick that spiced up an insanely mediocre package.
A gimmick? No.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Playing with the hierarchy system only gets fun when you unlock Brand. That's where the real fun starts in the game, unfortunately a bit too late. I hope the sequel explores that ability more.

Akai__

If you want a challenge, attempt to complete all objectives in the Test of The Wild or Test of The Ring.

I was just about to suggest that.

While I have successfully completed Test of the Ring, I'm still stuck on Test of the Wild. Having 40 Minutes to kill 5 Warchiefs, 20 Captains + the objectives is pretty crazy.

Planet

Guy plays without looking...
...then he dies and runs away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9u2kT8qXdI

Sure, just jumping over orcs is easy and buys you a lot of time always. But actually getting stuff killed is not always that easy when there are 2-3 bosses around. I keep hearing claims this game can be played with one hand without looking but that is just bullshit. Easy, yes, but "you literally can't die" is pubertal bragging.

a.wd

I actually had fun with the system, got tagged by a couple of long range fuckers who then became nigh on invincible, finding and destroying them became a game within a game for me. Also because I was liable to getting tagged by a long range instadeath arrow, I ended up with a lot of orks who were just near me and then auto skilled up.

Good laugh when it comes together and rather than gaming the sytem just play the game.

And I enjoy cutting through swathes of grunts, the moment to moment gameplay is challenging to see how many different ways you can kill them.

Yeah, OP, I just played it all the way through for the first time and this was a problem. Once you stack runes and unlock your more OP abilities you just outscale the Nemesis system's ability to serve up challenges. Hopefully they'll have fixed it in Shadow of War, really broke the late game for me when the only meaningful challenge was keeping Captains I liked alive long enough to brand them.

Apparently I'm horrible at video games because I was getting fucking wrecked in the first hour or two I put into this game. Especially by those wild dog things.

Weebos

Banned
I love this game, but difficulty is my main complaint. It being so easy undermines the Nemesis system. Hopefully the sequel has difficulty options.

Top Bottom