• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summon Night 6 to have most voicework in Working Designs history: outtakes, etc.

cj_iwakura

I thought this was exciting as someone who loves WD's dubs. Translate liberally if old.

Mostly from the Gaijinworks MB, where he posts all the cool tidbits about his projects.

The game's going to have upwards of 50 different voiced characters.

http://www.gaijinworks.com/interact...-Production-Bits&p=97682&viewfull=1#post97682

Victor Ireland said:
Finished editing the outtakes movie, whittling it down from about 2 hours of outtakes to a pretty tight 25 minutes with 17 characters featured. There may be a few more added, but it's essentially done. When you have 2 hours of just outtakes, you know you've recorded a LOT of audio. There's some really great stuff in there - a nice treat once you finish the game.

It's a HUGE cast for this title. We had to send about 20% of it out to LA to be recorded because the cast was just too big and the timeframe too tight to do it all here, so as a result we have quite a few anime dub regulars doing voices, alongside old favorites like John Truitt, Melissa Gulden, Craig Padilla, Blake Dorsey, etc.

The outtakes movie is pretty much like the ones we did for LUNAR with a screen showing the character picture, name, and the actor that voiced it. One thing that's a little different is mild swearing is included in these outtakes (only the F bombs are censored) as the expected "T" rating will cover it.

I really wish outtakes would have caught on by now with other publishers. I'd love to have outtakes reels for other games, and I think fans would, too. It's one of the most popular things I've ever done.

A lot of the cast are WD veterans,too. Namely John Truitt, of course(Magic Emperor Ghaleon to the peasantry).
It wasn't easy! Some of them weren't in Redding anymore. Also, the anime cast we pulled in with Bang Zoom has some really great talent. Melgitos, especially, is fantastic.

Summon Night 6 has at least 50% more text than SN5, which was already huge. It's like the equivalent of 4 novels. But the real killer was the amount of voice recording. 20,000 lines spoken should not be taken lightly.
It was the most voice I've ever done for a game by a HUGE margin. I'd like to keep doing it where the game allows for it, but the game would have to support the cost. It is TREMENDOUSLY expensive.
I have to love the games I do when I start because it's a LOT of work to do them as well as possible. I wish I had more time with Summon Night 6 recording because there's SO MUCH audio, and I want to obsess about some of the characters, but there's no time because we don't have the source for this one and the schedule is being driven from the BNE side.

So I have to be happy with "good overall" that I think I hit - but make no mistake, there are some GREAT character performances. I just want all 50 spoken characters to be at that level, but not sure that's possible in 5 months of recording. Then again, it could be just that I'm exhausted and my perspective is skewed.

So this isn't just a wall o' text, here's some screens:
C6vkg16UwAAPsB6.jpg

C6lVgqpU4AABGzf.jpg

C6bd28qVUAAS_ia.jpg

C5suDUYUsAESNpq.jpg

SN5 to compare:
CW74_tvUoAA9IdE.png

Is this game any fun though? I remember the older summon night games played like the 2d tales series... now it's an srpg.

I'm pretty sure Summon Night was an srpg series from inception and the action games that got localized years back were spinoffs. In any case, this one is indeed an srpg.

Edit: I may have misunderstood the last part of your sentence. It's got decent review on Amazon.jp, at least, but I don't know much else about how well the game was received. I guess if you like srpgs, you'll probably like this.

cj_iwakura

I'm pretty sure Summon Night was an srpg series from inception and the action games that got localized years back were spinoffs. In any case, this one is indeed an srpg.

Edit: I may have misunderstood the last part of your sentence. It's got decent review on Amazon.jp, at least, but I don't know much else about how well the game was received. I guess if you like srpgs, you'll probably like this.

If you want impressions on 5, most of us liked it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1157771

I think Parakeetman said 6 is pretty good too, and very impressive looking.

I'm SO excited for all this voice work. I've supported every single Gaijinworks release so it's been super cool to watch them grow into the ability to do something of this scale.
I love their translations and dedication to series that others don't want to touch.

Feels so good to be getting mainline SN games!

Is this game any fun though? I remember the older summon night games played like the 2d tales series... now it's an srpg.
The two localized GBA games were (very good) action spinoffs, while the DS one was an okay strategy ish actiony... thing.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

The original games in the mainline series were always an SRPG the spinoff titles were the ones that tried other genres.

In regards to 6 the one major issue depending on ones personal pref is that 6 is like a massive fanservice game in the sense it takes characters from most of the mainline series. Asides from that game was fairly decent way better than the dumpster fire that 5 was anyways. Though sometimes the odd choice for how the camera angles work can get annoying.

vireland

The mainline series has always been SRPG. The few that got localized in the distant past were sidestory/spinoffs, so they played differently. Some are represented in SN6, though. There's an extensive history gallery where you can look up people and places that may be referenced in the SN6 story you want to know more about. Very cool.

Dizzy-4U

Man, John Truitt is awesome. It's great to see he's still doing voice work. So many memories....

I'd kill for Danny O'Dwyer to do a noclip episode on Working Designs.

Jimrpg

I hope the Vita version is decent.

I want to preorder it, but most retailers haven't got their preorder page up.

Jimrpg

Amazon's pages are up. We were expecting Gamestop to go up this week, but I guess it's this coming week.

I'm over in Asia, Malaysia to be precise so only the Play-Asia page is up right now. I want to check a couple of prices first before ordering. :)

Amazon is kinda last resort for me cause usually the shipping is pretty expensive.

vireland

I'm over in Asia, Malaysia to be precise so only the Play-Asia page is up right now. I want to check a couple of prices first before ordering. :)

Amazon is kinda last resort for me cause usually the shipping is pretty expensive.

Ah, right, international. Sometimes I forget not everyone here is in the US!

Top Bottom