• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Horizon Zero Dawn's Success is Good(No matter who you are) - Jimquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crash331

This is the same dude who's opposed to Overwatch's micro transactions, despite the fact that they're cosmetics. Of course armor that impacts your stats being day 1 DLC isn't a big deal in a game he gave a 9.5 to.

That's weird. I might not have been online when I played it. PSN hates my account and keeps making me change my password.

Dude, you're still posting in this thread? You got obliterated back on page 2. Give it up.

Bahorel

He earns $11,631 per month for creating videos for his paying audience, yes he makes money off of his videos, even though it's not ad revenue.

I knew but you can choose whether to give him money as opposed to a click doing it, in relation to the person I was replying to being reluctant to watch the video.

So, Horizon success is good because:

- the world isn't too big and is filled with stuff, very dense
- there's no collectibles you can count by the hundreds
- no season pass announced before hand that locks a new hard mode

Hmmm

You can add :
- A female protagonist on the cover
- Colors
- Finishing the game before talking about more content for said game.

danowat

Banned
I can't disagree with what he is saying, the lack of traditional AAA trappings bullshit is refreshing, would have been quite easy for them to add microtransactions.

That said quite why every single topic has to descend into mud slinging by those on either side of this weird tribal divide (HZD vs Zelda) is beyond me.

As for those ragging on Jim, if you don't like him, don't watch his videos or enter topics related to his videos.

It shipped without any word of DLC. After it was out did they even bring it up.

Actually, yes.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...global-sales-exceed-26-million-300424597.html

"We're thrilled that Horizon Zero Dawn has been embraced by critics and players alike. Developing the game was a labor of love, so it's extremely satisfying to see that it elicits the same passion and enthusiasm from the gaming public that we felt during its development," said Guerrilla Managing Director Hermen Hulst. "This is only the beginning of Aloy's story and our exploration of the world of Horizon Zero Dawn, with the team already hard at work on an expansion to the story."

I just disagree with you on those I guess.

Far too many games are sequels or spinoffs the past couple of generations. Far too many new IPs are lower budget games vs. getting the level of funding HZD got that's on par or greater than some established hit franchises. Many/most games launch with lots of problems that need patched. Most games are launching with season passes, day one dlc etc.

A new IP with this level of budget, development time, polish and lack of DLC at launch has been super rare post PS2/X1/GCN era IMO.

We'll see but God of War never had any of those nor Infamous Second Son, The Order 1886. I agree it's a very good thing but I think it's been done and nobody other than the ones that already do it really cares.

killatopak

Gold Member
He earns $11,631 per month for creating videos for his paying audience, yes he makes money off of his videos, even though it's not ad revenue.

Or rather he doesn't monetize his videos so even if it has a bazillion views, he won't gain a cent. It's his patreon that's earning him money and is completely a donation style funding.

Zackat

Armour that impacts your stats in a single player game but is worse (I know this because I had it) than literally the first armour you can buy in the game. It's not DLC, it's an early unlock for something that isn't even good to begin with. It doesn't even have any impact on anyone else because, and here's the kicker, it's a single player game and it's not a game changing item.
It was also my least favorite looking armors in the game.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I think GG made a story for the open world of horizon instead of throwing one in it. in fact I think the story would not have worked nearly as well if this was a linear game.

I agree it came together very well.

But I do think it would have worked fine as a linear game. For one the story could have been told at a better pace, vs. now where there's tons of exposition toward the end, in one mission in particular. That was a consequence of the openworld as they wanted to keep the mystery going, and still reveal things at the appropriate time and in the right order so they couldn't scatter it around the open world. That said, they probably could have broken it up more across several story missions rather than cramming so much in that one even in the current format.

MoonFrog

Honestly i find it pretty strange such rivalry even happened Sony and Nintendo fans normally go pretty well together.
I don't find it surprising in the least. I'd say MS/Nintendo get along better than MS/Sony or Nintendo/Sony.

Sony and Nintendo have more overlap than MS and Nintendo and a bloody history.

PSX versus N64, and the collapse of the Nintendo/Japanese third party home console. A lot of bad blood there.

Console versus handheld for Japanese games and consumers. A lot of people in the core fandom have a strong dislike for handhelds and a strong like of Japanese games. Others are confused that, say, 3DS doesn't get more support than it does.

DS/3DS versus PSP/Vita; Nintendo handheld dominance versus luxury, "gamers' dream" hardware. Doesn't help that Switch is a luxury handheld and that Vita failed.

I mean, you have the whole rivalry between Nintendo consoles and coreboxes, but, even there, that is mostly between Sony and Nintendo this generation, given the nature of the PS4. When people are angry that Nintendo still exists and does its own thing, they mostly want those games on PS4, not Xbox One, because PS4 is the market leader and there is more similarity in software profiles, when you look at the more niche side of PS4.

I mean, maybe it's just GAF, but coming from a predominately Nintendo oriented perspective on GAF, I don't really see Xbox come into the picture much. I do see PS a lot, and often there's tension there.

Which is perhaps weird because there's a lot of continuity in console profile between N64 and Xbox, but Nintendo really shed that identity with GCN and on.

Midas

That said quite why every single topic has to descend into mud slinging by those on either side of this weird tribal divide (HZD vs Zelda) is beyond me.

Yeah, I don't really understand that at all. They're so different from each other. Play both, enjoy them both. That's what I did.

At the bare minimum it changes the game to where it breaks the stereotype that games with non-sexualized women protagonists aren't selling well or being well received.

Metroid Prime did that too.

The first one was a overwhelming success, did past expectations. unfortunately, didn't reached mainstream statues for its sequels, which looks like Horizon is looking to achieve.

RootCause

The diversity is one of the main reasons I loved this game so much. There seemed to be a large amount of asian and black characters in the game-many of whom were interesting. I hope GG goes the CDProjekt Red route (Witcher 2) and makes the DLC/Enhanced version free and continues to grow the story in future expansions.

If done like CDP does dlc. Then it's well worth it.but no many put forth that kind of effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom