• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is Bloodborne 2?

I would take a Bloodborne 2 simply because I want more Bloodborne but I can't really think of anything Bloodborne 2 can improve on the original besides smoothing out the frame-pacing problems. The original did everything so well but I would like to see a Van Helsing like machine crossbow type weapon or even more crazy trick-weapons.

PinballRJ

History repeats itself

Sony will abandon the bloodborne IP

A third party publisher will fund a new trilogy with a similar name, Boneborne?

The first one will be amazing and influence other games for years.

The second one will be rushed and not innovate on the ideas of the first.

The third will be a return to form but will fall short when compared to the first.

Luminaire

Blood gem system kind of sucked (but had potential)
No cancellable gestures
Not enough invasions
Wonky multiplayer system in general
Chalice dungeons could have a lot of improvement
Could have used more refined/deeper RPG mechanics
Less diversity of environments than Souls games
Some areas felt weak and unfinished (e.g. Byrgenwerth)

I love BB to death and those are all very very minor flaws, mind. But if BB2 improved on all of that... ohhhh boy. O_O

Shhhh, don't dismantle my mania. :(

History repeats itself

Sony will abandon the bloodborne IP

A third party publisher will fund a new trilogy with a similar name, Boneborne?

The first one will be amazing and influence other games for years.

The second one will be rushed and not innovate on the ideas of the first.

The third will be a return to form but will fall short when compared to the first.

Isn't Bloodborne a direct response to Sony dropping the ball with Demons' Souls?

Flipyap

BB was such a complete package and the threads were tied up fairly nicely to the point I don't even think I want a sequel. There is literally nothing I could point at and say "This needs enough fixing to justify a sequel", its just everything about it was well "discussed" in terms of mechanics and visuals I don't see anywhere else to go.
Why do people keep saying this? You're talking about a game that takes place inside a dream - there are literally infinite places a sequel could go.
Even at its weirdest, the dream lands we've visited in the first game were fairly normal places where up is up, down is down and all angles go in their proper directions. It worked for the first game because most of it was trying to fool you into believing that it took place in a more familiar plane of existence, but the sequel can be so much weirder and more interesting if it fully embraced its themes and its primary source of inspiration (Lovecraft's dream cycle and a mythos designed to be expanded forever).

What threads were tied up? The game has three open endings, each more ambiguous than the last (one of which leaves the world exactly as it was). Everything relating to the Healing Church & co. already happened long before the game started and it's only in two of the endings where the real-time plot moves beyond "you're a hunter, go hunt some stuff," leaving us with way more questions than answers.

Improvements aren't necessary to justify a sequel.

That being said, there is plenty to refine. Not to mention new weapons, firearms, etc. I frankly find the idea that there's nowhere for a BB2 to go baffling.

Floody

I hope instead of a direct follow up, From just go for something completely different setting, art and storywise, no Old ones, no Gothic artstyle, no Yharnam, it just has BB's gameplay but not much else. I think any sort of direct sequel would just disappoint, they nailed it the first time and didn't really leave much for a follow up, at least that I can think off.

A hunter's dream.

We shall not abandon the dream.

What is love?

44o.png

ChrisD

I don't need more Bloodborne in the sense of a literal BB2, and I definitely don't need it to be more Victorian or Lovecraftian setting/lore. I just want more of the gameplay. I find it much funner than Dark Souls'.

Wouldn't turn down a direct sequel, but yeah, BB is an excellent total package. Not sure where they could go with it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
A hunter's dream
Edit: beaten

But hey...
C2zlQJGUQAAronz.jpg

That would be pretty neat...!

But the story is absolutely finished as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather they do a new IP but keep the spirit (aggressive combat with the incredible level design and minimalist story)

I don't need more Bloodborne in the sense of a literal BB2, and I definitely don't need it to be more Victorian or Lovecraftian setting/lore. I just want more of the gameplay. I find it much funner than Dark Souls'.

Wouldn't turn down a direct sequel, but yeah, BB is an excellent total package. Not sure where they could go with it.
If you had more eyes you would see the story is quite open ended.

Lt.Chips

Bloodborne 2 should take on the long-forgotten era of videogaming... World War 2! Blood plasma was produced and shipped for blood transfusion for the wounded during WW2 so the setting's there. Nazi soldiers are your beasts. Bloodborne already had guns and gun-centric builds. Basic melee weapons can be bayonets and combat knives. Do it, FROM?

The people in this thread who don't think the sequel will happen are crackers in my opinion. The game sold really well and has a huge online following. It makes perfect sense for Sony to make another one. Will from develop it though that's the question. I think they probably will. In regards to the story
don't you essentially become a great one at the end? Surely they could just make their story around that

VertPin

All of you saying no, or never...why not? Bloodborne is perfect, sure, but a sequel can still be developed. They can go to another world/location/setting. The game was super popular, sold well, and Sony probably wants to make a sequel to a high selling IP they own.

I personally really want to see a sequel, and do think it will happen. I can't wait. :)
Non existstant. And not worth pondering because it's not happening.
What makes you so sure that it's not happening? It could be in development now, or in the future. It's silly to say "non existent and it will never happen" when there is a possibility that it could certainly happen.

autoduelist

Nothing. Bloodborne 2 will never happen.

I'd be amazed if there isn't. I imagine sony was smart enough to do it right this time after demons souls slipped out of their grasp and secured bloodborne as a franchise. We'll see it, for sure.

That BB2 logo reminded me of one thing i'd love in a sequel.
l'd want the game to be bloodier than the first. I like how the blood got on your clothes and stayed and that was legit, but i want like some "next-gen" blood physics. i want that shit to be dripping of me, washing away in the rain and flinging and shit
moar blood

No, no, no, and no. Because I dont think there is nearly enough "room for improvement" compared to tons of other series.

Personally, while Bloodborne was an extremely refined game, I think there's plenty of room for improvement in the series. Just as a for instance, one of the problems with the game is a lack of build variety, and for a game that deals with Lovecraftian themes and the cold forces of the cosmic void it was lacking a good magic system. Even if I didn't believe From could make significant improvements to the Bloodborne formula, the setting is so great and the spectacle and deeply storied world so alluring that it's the one game where just seeing more of the world would satisfy.

Zyrox

Bloodborne had a lot of flaws so a sequel that improves upon it could make it something truly special.
BB sold really well so I think the chances for a sequel are not that low. I'd certainly love to see a BB 2, BB had my favorite setting of all the Souls games.

Jingo

Why would i prive myself of a fantastic game setting with fantastic gameplay just cause the story is complete? Even more beeing bloodborne, an obtuse story at minimum, games are primarly about gameplay, ok i dont want a game story that insults my intelligence but the gameplay is the main focus.

Nioh has a bonkers story and that didnt stop people from platinum the game and wanting a nioh 2.

sviri

Increased variation between locales, all previous weapons and many new weapon move-sets, somewhat improved storytelling, ALL IN on gore, smooth frame-pacing, and whatever From wants to show us.

Pro should be 1440 or 1800 checkerboard to 4K.

Also it doesn't even have to be Bloodborne 2. It could be whatever the hell they want it to be. But I'd prefer it to be a direct sequel.

Bloodborne2 should be in a different region with its own story and lore. Would appreciate the game but if Fromsoft don't think they can then I hope for at least a new ip.

Masagiwa

Qoute from a interview with Miyazaki himself

"There are several titles that we are currently working on, and those are not just just dark fantasy or mecha games. Some of those are dark fantasy, some could involve mecha... But one new title that we've been working on will probably comply with the expectations of the fans in a straightforward manner."

Source: http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/09/21/dark-souls-iii-director-hidetaka-miyazaki-talks-dlc-future-games-armored-core-and-much-more/

The underlined part in the qoute could mean anything, remaster of some sorts, bloodborne 2 etc. My guess is that if bloodborne 2 would happen it wouldn't be led by Miyazaki himself due to the fact that he is president of the company now, bur rather this guy https://twitter.com/giwamasa?lang=en who was a producer of the game from the Sony side. As of who will direct the game from Fromsoftware, I have no idea.

Kilvin

Improvements aren't necessary to justify a sequel.

That being said, there is plenty to refine. Not to mention new weapons, firearms, etc. I frankly find the idea that there's nowhere for a BB2 to go baffling.

I don't understand the sentiment either, there's always things that can be built upon.

Plus, companies like money.

Endo Punk

I don't understand the sentiment either, there's always things that can be built upon.

Plus, companies like money.

Refinement doesn't always make a better game or sequel. If that was the case every sequel would he better by default since it just added on to what's already been established. BB lore is complete its weapons and gameplay is fantastic, the surprises and settings, just more of it would be dull and expected. BB was unexpected after so many Souls games that's what made it awesome and the game that follows it up needs to be equally as unexpected which means not just a no.2 entry.

horkrux

They focused a lot on werewolves. Maybe they could shift that over to vampires, put them in the spotlight this time.

Anyway. I don't think a BB2 should even be made in the first place. The first game was so unique and complete in how it expanded its theme with Lovecraftian horror, where would you even go from there. The Souls games were at their best when they didn't have any numbers in them. This is how we even got BB after all.

I'm with OP in thinking Bloodborne 2 is unnecessary and hopefully not happening. It's just a fantasy of obsessive Sony stans who feel possessive of From Software because of the good exclusives they've done.

In the immortal words of Mr. Caffeine...

"Yikes!"

I'd love if the Dark Souls 2 team would take on Bloodborne 2. The improvements they made to the overall gameplay were great and a proper new game plus would make Bloodborne even better. I hope they do take out the one shot bullshit and enemy's that grab you and take your insight it's the only time I felt like a souls game was unfair.

-They could introduce a new summon feature, where depending on your style or weapon, you could summon a beast to fight with you.

-After BB, a new hunters alliance has formed. Throughout the game you get to parts where you meet up with others to tackle different monstrosities.

-Of course more trick weapons. Boxing gloves that turn into wolverines claws... ok, ok. Bo staff that turns into nunchucks! Dope right!? A sword and shield. The trick is, the shield can be thrown like a boomerang, leaving the Hunters with a limited move set. The shield can stun and extend combos if done right.

There is a bunch of possibilities and thing that can be done.

Mutombo

what do you guys think they learned from playing Nioh though?

I found Nioh a mere polished stone next to the diamond that s BLoodborne though, but you can't fault it's combat system. A blood borne with actual unlockable skills? An even faster combat system? I would like to see them try a more advanced combo system.

Although, in all fairness, when the going gets tough you pretty much just 'jab jab roll the fuck away rinse repeat' anyway.

But yeah, I can't think of how they can improve on Bloodborne apart from 'something in new world with new enemies, new bosses' and maybe a more enhanced beast mode.

For which I would be down for.

Top Bottom