• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Pokemon game & handheld should I start my 2 nephews off with?

One being 7 and one being 5.

I'm a college student, btw so it would be a lot harder for me to spend the cash for two 3DSs.

I was thinking a DS lite and get them Heart Gold & Soul Silver.

But then what if they expect 2 regions in every Pokemon game they play afterwards... hmm

It's weird, I don't know why or how exactly, but they know a lot of random things about Pokemon, but have this gap with gen 2. (They didn't even know the gen 2 starters! :O) So I jumped immediately to those games.

I would have jumped straight to gen 1, but it doesn't have a DS remake... But I'm now remembering you can play gameboy advanced games on the DS, and hopefully the DS lite (right?). I assume that would be a fine start for a newcommer...

Though, the issue is, I have to buy them both their own. One would get Fire Red, and one would get fucking Leaf Green. You know whoever is stuck with Venasaur over Charizard is going to be pissed. Should I just get them both Fire Red? The questions

I asked my friend what would be the best Pokemon game to start off my nephews with and he jokingly replied "White 2" LOL

Edit: Wow, Fire Red & Leaf Green are expensive as heck.

I'm a college student, btw so it would be a lot harder for me to spend the cash for two 3DSs.

I was thinking a DS lite and get them Heart Gold & Soul Silver.

Oof

The great thing about Leaf Green is you can still choose the best starter Squirtle regardless of who is on the cover.

FR/LG are a good starting point.

Zalman

It doesn't really matter, they're all beginner friendly. Keep in mind HeartGold and SoulSilver are pretty pricey these days.

Jonnax

You know whoever is stuck with Venasaur over Charizard is going to be pissed. Should I just get them both Fire Red?
You can choose Charmander in both games I'm sure. You get the choice of the three.

squirtle best tho

Wow, that's kind of ridiculous. I wonder if I can find any of my old cartridges laying around somewhere...

Well if HGSS & FRLG are out of the question, my next choice would be gen 4.

I feel like HeartGold and SoulSilver would set the bar incredibly high for the rest of the games in the franchise. Difficulty balancing issues that make the games a bit too easy aside, those are probably the most feature rich Pokemon games ever released.

I'd personally start them off with FireRed and LeafGreen on the DS lite, not archaic enough to make them a slog to go through, and overall just a nice starting point. Gen 1 is iconic enough for them to recognize many of the creatures right off the bat, and regardless of whoever gets Venusaur, you can pick whatever you want in game so it literally doesn't matter after the initial "dang what a lame title screen mascot" thing that they'll eventually move past (even then Venusaur is cool so whatever).

One problem you might have though is that I don't think that linking up GBA games is possible on DS models, but I'm not 100 percent sure.

Honestly HeartGold & SoulSilver would be great (if expensive). If you plan to get them both a copy. One gets HeartGold & the other SoulSilver. The games look great, and have a huge amount of content for kids their age. They can trade with each other easily, and the games have enough differences where that could be fun.

If only Game Freak gave you multiple save slots for Pokemon games... Also I'm not sure how expensive they are but the 2DS is a good alternative to the DS lite, can play DS games & 3DS games

Cerium

Is 2DS not an option? They're $80 retail but you can get them for $60 each refurbished directly from Nintendo. Their refurbished look almost like new.

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat200006
Yeah I was about to suggest this.

2DS was almost specifically designed for your situation OP.

What do you guys think of the hardware? Always seemed a bit incontinent/clunky to me when compared to other nintendo handhelds. But I guess they're used to using these weird ass tablets all the time anyway.

2DS is super underrated. Feels good to play on, and rock solid build. It's meant for kids.

And this way you can get them started on Sun and Moon which is optimal.

Ok highly considering the 2Ds more than I was before now.

But is it optimal to start with Sun & Moon? I'm against that idea because wouldn't any other game in the series seem like quite the downgrade for them?

What do you guys think of the hardware? Always seemed a bit incontinent/clunky to me when compared to other nintendo handhelds. But I guess they're used to using these weird ass tablets all the time anyway.

I own a 2DS, it fits my hands better than the 3DS or the 3DS XL. it's fine for smaller hands as well (children) and is built well enough to deal with rough handling. Can recommend, is probably a better call because they won't a) break hinges and b) need a new thing next year for more Pokemon / what have you

Neptonic

The 2DS is a solid piece of hardware, and Sun and Moon are great... however HG and SS are the best games in the series.
Get them LeafGreen and FireRed if they really want charizard tho.

Usobuko

Banned
2ds is fine, I got my young cousin ( aged 8 and 12 ) 2ds.

In fact the older one was being rough with his previous 3ds that the hinge became rather loose.

As for Pokemon games, get them the latest ones, Sun & Moon.

Pokemon Games always maintained their prices so it's not like it would be cheaper if you get them the old ones. In fact, I think it might be even much more expensive if you go for older games.

Not to mention, the newer games have superior graphics ( 3d models ! ) and improvements like putting effectiveness besides an attack move + interacting with Pokemon via Pokemon Refresh. The latter is where you can pet and feed the pokemon food and see their reactions, kids love that.

2ds is fine, I got my young cousin ( aged 8 and 12 ) 2ds.

In fact the older one was being rough with his previous 3ds that the hinge became rather loose.

As for Pokemon games, get them the latest ones, Sun & Moon.

Pokemon Games always maintained their prices so it's not like it would be cheaper if you get them the old ones. In fact, I think it might be even more expensive if you go for older games.

Not to mention, the newer games have superior graphics ( 3d models ! ) and improvements like putting effectiveness besides an attack move + interacting with Pokemon via Pokemon Refresh. The latter is where you can pet and feed the pokemon food and see their reactions, kids love that.

This is the reason I wouldn't want to start them with the newest versions. How does Platinum sound?

Ohh 2DS has the virtual console...

Crayolan

If you're considering getting them DS games, go with a 2DS anyway. That way if they love it and want Sun/Moon, you'll already be set.

Usobuko

Banned
This is the reason I wouldn't want to start them with the newest versions. How does Platinum sound?

But I don't get why you don't want them to start with the latest ones.

In Pokemon, you'll always get burned out when you start as a kid. It's not really advisable to keep playing and "catch them all" by playing LeafGreen to the latest series in future.

I still remember I clocked 150 hours on Yellow and caught 149 Pokemons. My older cousin played Pokemon X first and it's not until 3 years later that he played Sun & Moon.

Also for getting Charmander as starter, PokeGaf is very helpful. Pokebank should be opened and available by now and I'm sure PokeGaf would be willing to trade charmander to you right after your cousins start their Pokemon campaign.

neonglow

I'd probably start them off with the newest one or at least one made for the 3DS. They'll wonder why they can't catch any of the newer ones they see on the TV show or on general merchandise. I'm sure they also have friends with the newest games that they will want to play and trade with.

But I don't get why you don't want them to start with the latest ones.

In Pokemon, you'll always get burned out when you start as a kid. It's not really advisable to keep playing and "catch them all" by playing LeafGreen to the latest series in future.

I still remember I clocked 150 hours on Yellow and caught 149 Pokemons. My older cousin played Pokemon X first and it's not until 3 years later that he played Sun & Moon.

Also for getting Charmander as starter, PokeGaf is very helpful. Pokebank should be opened and available by now and I'm sure PokeGaf would be willing to trade charmander to you right after your cousins start their Pokemon campaign.

Because if they want to move on to other games in the series, I'd rather other games not be a downgrade in many ways. The graphics thing is huge.

As for the bolded, personally never have played Pokemon with that goal and wasn't in my mind at all while I was thinking about this, so that's not influencing my leanings :p

Also I think the importance on the Charizard thing got a lil blown up lol. They just like Charizard better than Venasaur, is all I was putting out there. It's not on my priority list that I get them a game where you can acquire Charmander at some point.

I think 5 is too young for a Pokemon game. Won't have to reading comprehension required to know what to do.

Hmm that might be true. Don't think he's that good with reading... I was at first thinking about getting it for the 7 year old, but then quickly jumped to both because I felt the other would be upset/jealous.

Also, I was 5 when I first started playing Blue version... Can't remember how well that went but I know I had a good time and eventually beat it lol.

I'd probably start them off with the newest one or at least one made for the 3DS. They'll wonder why they can't catch any of the newer ones they see on the TV show or on general merchandise. I'm sure they also have friends with the newest games that they will want to play and trade with.

Hmm these are good points.

wedca

If any of their friends are into Pokemon they will be playing Sun and Moon so it is the best choice. Don't over think it, haha.

Firestorm

If any of their friends are into Pokemon they will be playing Sun and Moon so it is the best choice. Don't over think it, haha.
Exactly. The social element is huge for Pokemon. Grab refurb red 2DS + Sun and refurb blue 2DS + Moon.

The DS games are super pricey now.

Anything gen IV and on for the love of God. Gen III is OKAY for people completely new to the franchise, but I think a kid would like the DS games way more.

Teran

I think 5 is too young for a Pokemon game. Won't have to reading comprehension required to know what to do.

Shouldn't underestimate children imo. If he tries it and can't get into it nbd, but shouldn't deprive them of the chance based on the possibility.

2DS + Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire would be my choice, then if they like it Sun/Moon are the next step.

Would kids these days even play a game that looks "old"..?

Comandr

Man you are thinking about this all backwards.

Get them 2DSs and sun/moon. They are the latest games, arguably the best in the series, AND they're still popular. The best part of Pokémon is battling and trading with your friends right? Their friends aren't playing freaking Platinum. No kid wants to get "the old thing." That's your nostalgia at work. That's what you want. Not necessarily what they want. The sheer amount of quality of life improvements to the formula in SuMo will help.

2DS is the product for your situation, definitely. It's the cheapest option, new or used, and its build quality had kids in mind. Kids are rough. The 2DS can take it.

As for which game to get, I would go with either X/Y (easier games, so very kid-friendly) or Sun/Moon (newest, what their friends will be playing).

Price isn't really a consideration for the games. Whether you buy a 10 year old Pokemon game or a new Pokemon game, it's going to cost you $40-50.

laoni

Hmm that might be true. Don't think he's that good with reading... I was at first thinking about getting it for the 7 year old, but then quickly jumped to both because I felt the other would be upset/jealous.

Even if he isn't the best at reading (honestly, I got pokemon yellow for my 5th birthday and didn't run into any problems), it may be an EXCELLENT way to engage him in reading and help him learn.

GamerJM

Banned
HG/SS is a good starting point. Honestly any game is a good starting point though. The older the game you start with the more games they'll look forward to playing if they're interested in playing several games in the series (though technically they could go backwards if they'd like), but the newer the more accessible and "relevant," the game will be.

My nephews are 6 and 7. They both love Pokemon cards, toys, whatever.

I thought they would loved the game. They got sun and moon for Xmas. That game.. So much annoying story standing in the way of gameplay. It's not like red and blue anymore. There's a ton of reading, mandatory plot, convoluted gameplay that will be a road block for young players.

I'd either give them, yes, one of the older games, or one of the spin off games. It doesn't help that kids today are used to mobile games. They don't have the rigid focus and attention we, who had grown up with NES and gameboy. The games market is saturated. It would take a focused and determined child with a lot of patience to enjoy Pokemon games now. Of course, it helps of they're great readers.

Anyway, my experience is that today's kids may not instantly attach to the games. My nephews certainly didn't.

Mista Koo

But is it optimal to start with Sun & Moon? I'm against that idea because wouldn't any other game in the series seem like quite the downgrade for them?
That's a weird mentality. They don't have to play the entire series. And it makes more sense to start with the actually accessible one.

That's a weird mentality. They don't have to play the entire series. And it makes more sense to start with the actually accessible one.

I don't see how that's weird at all. If they want to move on, I'm sure they'd be more thrilled to know that the other games they haven't played yet aren't downgrades (in ways) especially looking at visuals.

Get them the 2DS and X/Y for either of them. They're both friendly for kids and beginners AND you can also get Charizard pretty early in the game. Also, they're probably gone love it's mega evolutions as well.

Then get them Sun & Moon because it's just such a beautiful gem.

Edit: Also, don't worry too much about them not being able to get into the older games. I got into Pokemon with Crystal, and that never got in the way of my enjoyment when I played Red. The downgrade wasn't too big, but it was still noticeable (sprites actually looked good, were animated, game had colors...)
They might still enjoy playing the other ones. And if they don't, that's not a big deal, really. It's still Pokemon, they don't have to like the old ones.

Top Bottom