• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ozark - Official Trailer (Netflix original series starring Jason Bateman)

C4Lukins

That was really good. I also just finished the first season of Bloodlines which was fine, but this was much better.

I read a review that called it boring, and I have no idea how anyone could feel that way.

Not to compare it to greats like Breaking Bad, but more happens in the first Ten episodes then happens in the first two seasons of Breaking Bad.

Also the kids are not annoying in the way that the kids from The Americans or Homeland were during early seasons. The kids are alright in this. They push back, but they do not run to their room and cry everytime things do not go their way.

Just a really satisfying experience and I am ultra excited for another season.

I am really confused by the mixed reviews. Nothing to dislike about this show.

Enjoying this so far. And I appreciate Netflix's layout.

TkZkoxE.png

Aselith

One of my favorite little things (full season spoilers below)...

was when you realize that even the purchasing of the hamburgers for the "$5 burger and beer with fill-up deal" was a way to launder money lol

It actually makes me wonder now about some of the places I've been and I wonder how in the world they can stay in business.

I think that's part of the point if the show is to make you wonder about the undercurrent of drug money in society. I think that moment with the son and his teacher and also the Marty and Del meeting flashback are a pretty good examples of what the show is going towards.

That was really good. I also just finished the first season of Bloodlines which was fine, but this was much better.

I read a review that called it boring, and I have no idea how anyone could feel that way.

Its far better than Bloodlines for sure.

I think this show is kinda a repudiation of Bloodlines. In general Netflix now seems to require their shows are better scripted and well paced. They used to give complete creative freedom, and thats why we had Bloodlines, a slow paced, meandering show. Now they are more like Ozark, packed with plot, and relatively fast paced.

Only have 1 episode of Ozark to go, and I think its really good. The show gets a bit better as it introduces and handles characters pretty well, and most of them are strong.

Definitely one of the better dramas from Netflix. I'd be shocked if this isn't a hit.

C4Lukins

I think it was amazing how much conflict was there. And the show addressed it.

Plus it is different from Breaking Band, in that the family is involved. All of them.

They got past the wife, the daughter the son, they are all in.

v1lla21

Finally finished it. Really enjoyed it and it ends at a good place.
That fucking preacher had me on the edge of my seat there for a while. Lol.

Aselith

I think it was amazing how much conflict was there. And the show addressed it.

Plus it is different from Breaking Band,
in that the family is involved. All of them.

They got past the wife, the daughter the son, they are all in.

You might want to spoiler that since it is kind of a development as the story unfolds

Kadayi

Banned

Not to compare it to greats like Breaking Bad, but more happens in the first Ten episodes then happens in the first two seasons of Breaking Bad.

Yeah, I think a lot of reviewers were making the comparison but failing to acknowledge that BB didn't hit its stride until later on. I saw criticisms of the show being humourless, but not much sense of understanding why given the gravity of the situation Maty finds himself in, maybe just maybe brevity isn't a fundamental part of the mix at this stage. Plenty of scope if the show is renewed for that to happen in later seasons when firmer footing is found.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I enjoyed it. Not as much as some of the posters here, but I liked it. It was nice to see Laura Linney in something again, I really like her as an actress.

The show does move super fast... elaborate and complex things happen in minutes. It's incredibly over the top, I thought it would have been the perfect if the show embraced how over the top it was and add a little dark humor here and there.

But I guess a lot of that is me never buying into Jason Bateman, Jason Butler Harner, and Esai Morales all that much as their characters. Like when I first started watching, I went in blind not having read anything about it and at first I thought it was going to be dark comedy or part satire, and then I'm like wait this is going to try to be a super serious show and try to be really dark.

Didn't make it a bad show, and I was plenty entertained, but I never fully bought in 100% based on how serious it tried to be in comparison to how ridiculous the plot was. It's certainly not boring. If a critic used an adjective to describe it, I'd call it "outrageous" but not boring.

Watching this show because we love Jason Bateman and Breaking Bad, but damn, their portrayal of the Lake of the Ozarks is laughably offensive. It's almost my favorite part of the show.

Dereck

I've never seen Jason Bateman that firmly pissed, I'm talking about the end of episode 6.

But also, I've only seen him in a few movies, so

NightOnyx

I've been watching this after seeing the high praise on this thread and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm through 4 episodes and I'm definitely sucked in by it. It gives me a Breaking Bad and Justified vibe, and those are two of my favorite shows, so this is right up my alley.

Busty

Banned
What's the general feeling on this show? For the last two years (at least) people "in the know" have been telling me that this is the new Breaking Bad but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of buzz for it.

Is this going to be another break out for Netflix or is this going to get lost in the mix?

What's the general feeling on this show? For the last two years (at least) people "in the know" have been telling me that this is the new Breaking Bad but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of buzz for it.

Is this going to be another break out for Netflix or is this going to get lost in the mix?
Spend literally 90 seconds reading the thread.

Bluth54

I finished watching this show this morning and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I thought it was pretty good and did get a Breaking Bad vibe from it. I hope Netflix renews it for another season.

neoanarch

It's sort of weird how little fanfare this came out to with it being a "prestige" show
Netflix doesn't work like that. Unless its a cultural phenomenon like Stranger Things.

I finished the last episode last night. Fantastic show. Great cast. Surprised by some of the character archs. The Langmores especially. Its also surprising to me that Bateman directed four episodes including the finale. Which was fantastic.

Busty

Banned
I finished watching this show this morning and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I thought it was pretty good and did get a Breaking Bad vibe from it. I hope Netflix renews it for another season.

Thanks, I might check it out at some point but given my current backlog (with GLOW and House Of Cards added) it might be a while.

Spend literally 90 seconds reading the thread.

I did scan over it but most posters hadn't watched the full thing.

Kadayi

Banned

I jumped into it by chance on Netflix when it came up in my feed without really reading any reviews and I was sold straight away after the first episode. The result being I polished it off over two days (I like sleep I cannot lie). Honestly, I was very impressed by it (it's been a while since I'd binged a show) and in truth, I was kind of shocked at some of the apathetic reviews coming out, after I finished it.

Reviews wise it's unfortunately been subject to some unhealthy comparisons to Breaking Bad as a result of certain aspects of subject matter, I think that there a bit of rosy eyed nostalgia relating to BB, that don't acknowledge that even BB took a while to find itself. Ozarks is not perfect, but it has a lot of potential, as far as series go, and I think it they strengthen the writing team and break away from the overly blue palette that they'll be better served going forward.

One criticism is there's no levity, and parallels have been made to it and the first season of the Leftovers in that regard. A show that became a different beast entirely, when they added some humour to it in the second season onwards. In truth, I think the initial premise of Ozarks is so monumentally challenging, in terms of what Maty Byrde faces, that there's not really any scope for humour of the straight forward kind, at least in the first season, so I don't really feel it's less for it. With that said I think moving forward I don't think they can continue without some degree of contrast to the grim faced nature of the challenge.

Ultimately I would just say watch the first episode and decide whether you want to see where it goes.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
No levity?! I'm only just now done with episode 2 and have cracked up several times. Maybe my sense of humor is darker than most, but Bateman and Linney both have delivered some lol lines.

At the same time, as someone who has depression and suicidal thoughts, a certain scene in episode 2 was hard to watch.

Love the writing, acting, and direction. I want Bateman to direct it all at this point.

this is the bluest show I have ever seen.

fucking. this.

Damn it, I know there's some psychological BS behind tinting video (Verge), but somebody in editing has taken it way too far, it's bad to the point of distraction from most outdoor/sunny scenes.

Anyways, half way through the season and I really like it so far, good pace of progression and characters are fun and interesting.

I'm only just now done with episode 2 and have cracked up several times.

Likewise, the show had me chuckling a few times since I started watching it.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I watched the first episode...and no. I personally don't like it..i just can't watch shows like this right now.

Watched the pilot, probably the best pilot I've ever seen and already one of the better TV episodes, can't wait to dig in.
I do find it strange how little hype this seems to be having, I know critics weren't that blown away, but still, I expected a bigger push from Netflix and media outlets.

LewieP

I did enjoy this, but my opinion does oscillate between feeling that it's very clearly in Breaking Bad's shadow, and saying that it's different enough that the comparison doesn't serve much purpose.

I'd say it can't quite match BB's cinematography, but then not much can. It's far less of a character study, and more of a straight up thriller. The tone of the family drama is very different, since it's not all about the central character trying to hide his true self.

I think the first episode does a good job of presenting what to expect, so I'd be happy to at least recommend that to anyone.

It's got an undercurrent of helplessness in everything that fuels most of the tension, but I like that the central characters have already come to terms with themselves and their decisions.

I'd give it a B+ overall. The central and supporting cast all do a great job. It's not hugely original, but it's elevated by style, performance and some nice flourishes with the writing.

Finished the show, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I was impressed by how strong all of the supporting characters were. As good as Breaking Bad was, it had a number of characters that dragged the show down or that the writers clearly didn't know what to do with. That's not the case here as nearly every character has an interesting arc or is at least entertaining (Buddy, for example). This is definitely up there as one of the top shows Netflix has produced and between this and Glow, I'm really excited about where they're headed.

Drain You

I keep seeing comparisons to Breaking Bad, which I haven't watched yet, but I really did enjoy the season. I liked Bateman in a serious role, and even though he did play a serious role, he was somehow able to retain his whit or whatever you wanna call it in my opinion. I'm guessing Netflix will renew it for a second season so I look forward to that.

Draper

Finished- loved the show. I don't fully get the Breaking Bad comparisons though.

This is my new Bloodline- only competent

I keep seeing comparisons to Breaking Bad, which I haven't watched yet, but I really did enjoy the season. I liked Bateman in a serious role, and even though he did play a serious role, he was somehow able to retain his whit or whatever you wanna call it in my opinion. I'm guessing Netflix will renew it for a second season so I look forward to that.

It's more like season 4 breaking bad where everything has gone to shit and characters are constantly in danger. It's pretty insane that they managed to start out with the stakes so high and yet still be so good, very little filler.

LewieP

Bateman does an excellent "exasperated by circumstances outside of his control". It was a common thread through Arrested Development, and they put it to good use here.

You should watch Breaking Bad.

You really need to watch Breaking Bad

Kadayi

Banned
Finished- loved the show. I don't fully get the Breaking Bad comparisons though.

TBH I think it's a lazy comparison on reviewers parts.
One of the notable differences between Marty Byrde and Walter White, for instance, is that Marty repeatedly just lays it out there in terms of the truth of things. He tells his wife, he tells the kids, he tells Ruth etc. He's not trying to hide behind concocted stories, he puts out the truth when he feels it's appropriate. That doesn't seem to be something reviewers have quite grasped.

Top Bottom