• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyrie of the Battlefield new screens/video and release info

Sage00

Once And Future Member
val06.jpg

That. will. hurt.

mmafiend

Banned
thoz screen's are not gamplay, do you know how much time/money it would take to make a game look like that.
this is gmeplay
1329_0003.jpg

1329_0018.jpg

Sage00

Once And Future Member
mmafiend said:
thoz screen's are not gamplay, do you know how much time/money it would take to make a game look like that.
this is gmeplay
They're the same models with added AA/post processing effects.

Lain

Game keeps looking awesome.
Too bad Sega has something to do with it.
I can only hope they don't get to taint it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sweet mother...

rykomatsu

Scheduled for April 24 release in Japan. I believe it's headed up by members who developed the Sakura Taisen IP. If anything, I think this might actually be planned to replace the venerable Sakura Taisen IP...it was posted somewhere that Sega's plunked in the millions range to develop the CANVAS system. Add to that, the CV cast is AAA caliber by Japanese standards. Basically, Sega's going balls out with this game....looking just at the CV cast, it seems like they're only focused on the Japanese market.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
rykomatsu said:
Scheduled for April 24 release in Japan. I believe it's headed up by members who developed the Sakura Taisen IP. If anything, I think this might actually be planned to replace the venerable Sakura Taisen IP...it was posted somewhere that Sega's plunked in the millions range to develop the CANVAS system. Add to that, the CV cast is AAA caliber by Japanese standards. Basically, Sega's going balls out with this game....looking just at the CV cast, it seems like they're only focused on the Japanese market.

If that is true then I have to do a "Sakura Taisen" and just import the game.

>__<

kbear

rykomatsu said:
as long as it has English subtitles and English text in the menus i'm cool with that

klee123

Hcoregamer00 said:
If that is true then I have to do a "Sakura Taisen" and just import the game.

>__<

Thank god for PS3 being region free ey?

That said, thanks to PS3 being region free, I have a feeling that the LE will be hard to get.

icecream

Public Health Threat
I still hold that it seems like a game suitable for a worldwide audience. It'll get a worldwide release, the question is just when.

rykomatsu

klee123 said:
That said, thanks to PS3 being region free, I have a feeling that the LE will be hard to get.

on Amazon.co.jp, the limited edition pretty much sold out in a few hours. I'm sure the situation was similar at places like Gamers and what not :( The Alicia figure looks quite....scary, but the tank and the booklet I actually was interested in...

btw, for those interested, here's the cast list so far:

Gallian Rebels
Welkin Gunther: Susumu Chiba
Alicia Melchiot: Marina Inoue
Eleanor Barlot: Atsuko Tanaka (Major from GITS :D )
Rosie: Megumi Toyoguchi
Isarah Gunther: Houko Kuwajima
Fardio Lancehart: Takahiro Sakurai

Republic of Gallia
Princess Cordelia gi Randgriz: Mamiko Noto
Elet: Naomi Shindo (one of the lesser known voice actress in this game)

Imperial Army
Maximilian: Jun Fukuyama
Selvaria Bles: Sayaka Oohara (the silver haired woman with that aura)
Radi Yaeger: Akio Ootsuka (Batou from GITS :D )
Berthold Gregor: Chikao Ootsuka

For those that follow closely with anime, like I said before...best of the best :)

Enron

Banned
icecream said:
I still hold that it seems like a game suitable for a worldwide audience. It'll get a worldwide release, the question is just when.

You betta be right. Shit, who am i kidding, im importing this if not. I know enough jp to get through menus!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yeaaah, I have to preorder that special edition tonight on the way home.

Ynos Yrros said:
The design doesn't make any sense. Some of the things they are wearing are completely impractical :/.

I am glad that they don't look like bald space marines. We have enough of those. I think it is better for them to look cool in war than practical.

Hcoregamer00

Rhazer Fusion said:
I am glad that they don't look like bald space marines. We have enough of those. I think it is better for them to look cool in war than practical.

Yeah, the idea that we have a female lead and female villain is already different from the status quo.

Although I do admit that the villains proportions should be what people are bitching about. How the frick can a big breasted girl like her become a general?

Dante said:
Wow, Visual Upgrade :)

Yeah I think the lingo they have coined for it is something like 'development time' or some such nonsense.

Been excited about this from day one. Don't think I will get the LE but I still can't wait to play it.

Zoe

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yeah, the idea that we have a female lead and female villain is already different from the status quo.

Actually, the website says the guy is the lead character.

Hcoregamer00 said:

Although I do admit that the villains proportions should be what people are bitching about. How the frick can a big breasted girl like her become a general?

val16.jpg

I guess when you have a body like that, you can become whatever you want.

Hcoregamer00

Zoe said:
Actually, the website says the guy is the lead character.

What the fuck?

Valkyrie of the Battlefield, with a goddamn MALE lead???

Rhazer Fusion said:
I guess when you have a body like that, you can become whatever you want.

Apparently so :lol

Kind of makes me wish that she wasn't a villain.

rykomatsu

I'm not 100% certain that the title is supposed to be translated "Valkyrie of the Battlefield" as the Japanese katakana for Valkyrie is &#12532;&#12449;&#12523;&#12461;&#12517;&#12540;&#12524; (varukyu-re in romaji) whereas this one's clearly &#12532;&#12449;&#12523;&#12461;&#12517;&#12522;&#12450; (valkyuria in romaji). The website is vaklyria.jp as well.

I suppose semantics, but anyhow. Valkyrian = race that only exists in legends and stories now, but some royalty still carry Valkyrian blood.

I think Gunther is the male lead and everyone else forms a harem around him...maybe lol. I suppose it isn't too far fetched to find out that either Alicia or Gunther also share Valkyrian heritage along with Selvaria and Princess Cordelia...or atleast that's how the story unfolds blah blah blah fated to fight etc.

Zoe

Hcoregamer00 said:
Really?

That is interesting, your assertion is that valkyrie is a reference to the Villain, not to the protagonist.

It's in the profile. It calls her a &#12532;&#12449;&#12523;&#12461;&#12517;&#12522;&#12450;&#20154; (see above). Same goes for the princess.

Hcoregamer00

Zoe said:
It's in the profile. It calls her a &#12532;&#12449;&#12523;&#12461;&#12517;&#12522;&#12450;&#20154; (see above). Same goes for the princess.

Wait, there is an official website?

ethelred

Metalmurphy said:
There have been plenty of gameplay movies released already.

It's an RTS+Shooter+RPG.

It's not an RTS. The combat is all turn-based. It's basically a strategy RPG where you do aiming like a third person shooter.

BudokaiMR2 said:
Been excited about this from day one.

Me too. I'm quite sure it's going to be fantastic.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm not sure why people get down on this game. It looks really cool, and hella unique.

Hcoregamer00

thetrin said:
I'm not sure why people get down on this game. It looks really cool, and hella unique.

Did we read the same thread?

Everyone here is very positive about the game.

The only thing remotely negative is whether we will see a USA release or not.

------

On another topic, since there appears to be some confusion about the naming of this game. I bet that this game will be released under the moniker Gallian Chronicles

rykomatsu

Hcoregamer00 said:
Did we read the same thread?

Everyone here is very positive about the game.

The only thing remotely negative is whether we will see a USA release or not.

[/B][/I][/I]

Ditto...
This, Agarest Senki, and Ar Tonelico II (for PS2 hooray for upscaling on PS3...) were the reasons I bought my PS3 :p

TBH, my interest in this game far surpasses my expectations for other blockbuster class games (GT5, WKS, FF13, etc). From the quality and uniqueness of the artwork, to character design/CV's and what not, it's evident that a LOT of time and effort went into this IP. Add to that, the limited editions sold out faster than a lot of other blockbuster limited edition sales so there's a lot of interest brewing in Japan as well.

Hcoregamer00

rykomatsu said:
Ditto...
This, Agarest Senki, and Ar Tonelico II (for PS2 hooray for upscaling on PS3...) were the reasons I bought my PS3 :p

TBH, my interest in this game far surpasses my expectations for other blockbuster class games (GT5, WKS, FF13, etc). From the quality and uniqueness of the artwork, to character design/CV's and what not, it's evident that a LOT of time and effort went into this IP. Add to that, the limited editions sold out faster than a lot of other blockbuster limited edition sales so there's a lot of interest brewing in Japan as well.

Yeah, I hope they have figurines and an artbook because I wouldn't mind buying those.

This game was part of the RPG trifecta (WKS, Valkyrie, and FF13) that made me buy a PS3.

Srider

Banned
I'm excited about the game cause it's Sega Japan, and it has that Sakura Taisen vibe. Gameplay looks pretty interesting as well aside from the pretty graphics.

I'm just afriad... that these kinds of games have a tendency to fall by the wayside in actual execution. The seemingly simple and shallow game system makes me a bit worried whether or not this game can maintain interest past the first 5 stages/missions. As long as the story is good and the game offers interesting and varied scenarios during actual gameplay, it would achieve the potential which it seems to have.

Definitely gonna get this the first day, but I consider it a gamble that I'm willing to go in blind.

Hcoregamer00

Srider said:
I'm excited about the game cause it's Sega Japan, and it has that Sakura Taisen vibe. Gameplay looks pretty interesting as well aside from the pretty graphics.

I'm just afriad... that these kinds of games have a tendency to fall by the wayside in actual execution. The seemingly simple and shallow game system makes me a bit worried whether or not this game can maintain interest past the first 5 stages/missions. As long as the story is good and the game offers interesting and varied scenarios during actual gameplay, it would achieve the potential which it seems to have.

Definitely gonna get this the first day, but I consider it a gamble that I'm willing to go in blind.

Personally I don't mind if it has bad gameplay execution, what I mind is whether character development and storytelling matches up to Sega's best RPG's.

Part of why I like Sega RPG's like Phantasy Star and Skies are that they have amazing character development and great storytelling. They give a sense of disbelief, while engaging you in a brand new world.

Pachael

Put me down in the camp that's a bit wary.

I can see the Sakura Taisen influence and I love the setting and the graphics, the polish looks great, it's got a bit of that 'team' thing going around and there's an opportunity for some great characterisation. I'm not that fussed about the story (again, coming from SakuTai which never really had the best of 'main stories' but had much better 'side stories').

What does concern me is the gameplay, which does seem like ARMS (battle system in SakuTai) slightly upgraded, and that seemed to me like a bit of an afterthought in its execution in ST3 to ST5. I fear that the battle system will be too 'fluffy' and shallow like ARMS, to put it in one way.

And that might be the problem - I'm approaching this game as a rebadged ST6, and we know how dead that series is :|

Top Bottom