• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit | OT3 | A Feast for Crows

I'm pretty sure it's alt-right millenials shouting the loudest. They are the ones who really support him because he's 'charming' and a social conservative.

Maybe they do and maybe they don't. The tide is turning and remain would win comfortably if the referendum was re-run today. It's hard not to wonder how much more the needle will continue to move as the Tories stumble drunkenly through the negotiations.

Ultimately, whether you're a pro-Remain or pro-Leave MP/Party, you're going to be alienating somebody. But I think we're past the point that people would simply turn their backs on Labour for a generation in significant numbers if Labour opposed Brexit.

The needle is moving, slowly but surely. The GE showed that people are already pretty sick of Brexit, and would rather their government focused on the day-to-day issues that affect ordinary peoples' lives. What has the government accomplished of any worth for the past 18 months? Not a jot.

My point is that peoples' opinions of a party or its leader are taking into account a breadth of issues that the Tories don't want to give them credit for. They'd rather try and make the next 5-10 years all about Brexit, to the detriment of actually governing domestic policy.

Maybe not right now, maybe in 9-12 months, but I think the point will come that speaking out against Brexit won't be anywhere near to a political death sentence. On the contrary, it will come as a quiet but meaningful sigh of relief to many. That is, assuming things continue to go as badly as they have been so far, which I've no reason to doubt.

I think it is more of a case of people being tired of politics in general. From 2015 onwards we have had 2 elections and 1 huge referendum which has dominated a lot of the news, as well as general discussion. All of this is has only created more uncertainty.

I actually suspect support for Brexit may not have changed that much. The tories seemed to try and make the election all about Brexit, and whilst they lost a lot of seats, they still actually gained a huge amount of votes. Additionally, whilst Labour's tactic of not focusing on Brexit proved successful, they still support Brexit so it is kinda hard to use this years election to gauge Brexit support.

tuxfool

Banned
So Labour do it and they become irrelevant for decade or two! I'd personally feel safer with a Labour brexit and then more leftist policies than them taking the fall and having to put up with more conservative policies.
You mean leftist policies that easier to achieve if the government doesn't have to put out economic fires?

jelly

Yeah, I'm not sure why there's been some sort of surge in millenial popularity for Rees-Mogg - it feels like irony that's got out of hand.

Same as Boris Johnson, isn't he funny and silly on Have I Got News Gor You, so posh, lol and just like Boris they ignore their disgusting opinions and preferred policy.

A leftist Brexit is impossible given the circumstances where the economy has to undergo a reorienting due to lost trade with the rest of Europe. A lot of time will be taken up on that.

Man, I hope a couple of Tories might be willing to break party lines over the Repeal Bill. Make May feel the squeeze over that DUP majority.

Xando

Great OP!

I still expect May to resign later this year, elections early next year and labour to get blamed for shit going down when they force through brexit with hard brexit tory back benchers.

8bit

Knows the Score
Fucksake.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...eveals-uk-brexit-plan-to-deter-eu-immigrants?

Britain will end the free movement of labour immediately after Brexit and introduce restrictions to deter all but highly-skilled EU workers under detailed proposals set out in a Home Office document leaked to the Guardian.

The 82-page paper, marked as extremely sensitive and dated August 2017, sets out for the first time how Britain intends to approach the politically charged issue of immigration, dramatically refocusing policy to put British workers first.

It proposes measures to drive down the number of lower-skilled EU migrants – offering them residency for a maximum of only two years, in a document likely to cheer hardliners in the Tory party. Those in ”high-skilled occupations" will be granted permits to work for a longer period of three to five years.

No-one is going to want to come to your Royston Vasey theme park of a country after this, Tories.

RenditMan

Banned
Fucksake.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...eveals-uk-brexit-plan-to-deter-eu-immigrants?

No-one is going to want to come to your Royston Vasey theme park of a country after this, Tories.

Non EU immigration is high and the entry requirements for that are insane.

I suspect uk immigration would remain high even with blanket controls. We could lessen restrictions on non EU immigration which are only there to try to provide some kind of cap to the overall figures.

jelly

Immigration is unlikely to change that much, they'll just turn away good people or make it frustrating enough they'll go elsewhere, the EU. Low skilled workers will just come from other places and leavers will complain for eternity while politicians and corps get to shape the UK into their little hell hole.

Who would want to work in the UK anymore when you have many other excellent Western European countries that they will have easy access to.

slider

Reading that, I can imagine that Brexodus of skilled EU nationals will accelerate faster and faster.

I mean, but... We're striking such a welcoming tone. People will be stepping on and over each other to come and live here. Right??

Look forward to the EU doing this to UK citizens as well. Joy. Wonder how people will react when they find out they can't easily retire to Spain. The "we're leaving the EU not Europe" rhetoric is clearly bullshit. Putting up barriers within our own continent.

EmiPrime

Brexiteers just respond to stuff like this with "well we should be training our own people to do those jobs" and something about wanting to keep the "right" people from the EU but when everything inevitably goes tits up they won't engage in any self-reflection they will blame the government for not training up British nationals and for not doing Brexit right.

Given my parents would not have been able to live together in Britain under these proposals I can't help but take this all very personally. I am so upset.

Who would want to work in the UK anymore when you have many other excellent Western European countries that they will have easy access to.

If that's the case then such proposals shouldn't be the subject of any controversy. To which countries do you suggest people go and why?

TimmmV

Look forward to the EU doing this to UK citizens as well. Joy. Wonder how people will react when they find out they can't easily retire to Spain. The "we're leaving the EU not Europe" rhetoric is clearly bullshit. Putting up barriers within our own continent.

Seems fair to me, the Spanish have suffered enough!

Brexiteers just respond to stuff like this with "well we should be training our own people to do those jobs" and something about wanting to keep the "right" people from the EU but when everything inevitably goes tits up they won't engage in any self-reflection they will blame the government for not training up British nationals and for not doing Brexit right.

Given my parents would not have been able to live together in Britain under these proposals I can't help but take this all very personally. I am so upset.

Same, this doesn't feel like the same country that I grew up in tbh. Trying to convince my GF it would be worth leaving to a not-leaving-EU country now :(

CTLance

I may not have a single farking clue about the franchise in the OP, but I thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless. Thanks for the effort.

Looking forward to another thread full of this beautiful slo-mo train wreck. Let's do this.

Uzzy

Fucksake.

I had thought that we were moving towards a close transition period, during which freedom of movement might end and we'd leave the customs union, but we'd still have something like freedom of movement and be in a new, temporary customs union. (Might be a stupid idea, but still, it's something)

These ideas, if implemented, would kill that idea stone dead. No smooth transition, we're out hard.

Achire

I had thought that we were moving towards a close transition period, during which freedom of movement might end and we'd leave the customs union, but we'd still have something like freedom of movement and be in a new, temporary customs union. (Might be a stupid idea, but still, it's something)

These ideas, if implemented, would kill that idea stone dead. No smooth transition, we're out hard.

Single market access is out for sure if these plans are implemented.

Apparently the next position paper to be published is going to be on science. It's just that the Horizon 2020 and the other European science programs involve, shock horror, the free movement of scientists. Can't have that. Kidding aside, there is pretty much 0% chance of the UK being allowed to stay in H2020/ERC etc. The UK gets significantly more research funding out of these programs than it puts in. Moreover, EU has already used kicking countries (Switzerland) out of these programs as a negotiation tactic over EU immigration.

This is going to cause a huge hole in research funding of UK universities. The government could plug that hole (it is a net contributor to the EU after all), but we all know that ain't happening. In addition, UK universities will be far less desireable as partners in EU research collaborations (as they will be unable to get "their share" of the ERC funding in a project).

kmag

Non EU immigration is high and the entry requirements for that are insane.

I suspect uk immigration would remain high even with blanket controls. We could lessen restrictions on non EU immigration which are only there to try to provide some kind of cap to the overall figures.

EU citizens have a number of hassle, cost free options. Brexit should take care of the UK's main draw (it already has), it's fast growing economy. Average wages are higher in 8 of the other EU countries. The UK's other main draw is the language.

If that's the case then such proposals shouldn't be the subject of any controversy. To which countries do you suggest people go and why?

The issue isn’t just that it leaves them worse off by not being able to come here. It’s bad because we should actually want people to want to come to our country.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Where has this rumour that May is set to resign come from?

She's making an announcement on Sept. 21st, which is major enough that the UK has delayed further Brexit talks until that point. I don't think it will be a resignation, but that's where the rumour started. More likely to be a cabinet reshuffle.

theaface

She's making an announcement on Sept. 21st, which is major enough that the UK has delayed further Brexit talks until that point. I don't think it will be a resignation, but that's where the rumour started. More likely to be a cabinet reshuffle.

Whether it's a resignation or a cabinet reshuffle, it sure is a funny way of "getting on with the job to be done".

danowat

Banned

Whether it's a resignation or a cabinet reshuffle, it sure is a funny way of "getting on with the job to be done".

Ahh, ok, I thought there was more to it than that, some people I know swear it's that, or Brexit 2 : electric boogaloo

pswii60

By Brexit talks are you referring to the negotiations? If so, there aren't any more negotiations planned before that date anyway.

Personally, I don't think David Davies has the energy to continue with the negotiations. He's looking tired and bewildered. Definitely deflated.

I also think it's interesting that during the June election campaign, the question was "Who would you rather sit at the negotiations: May or Corbyn?" When the question should have been "Who would you rather sit at the negotiations: Davies or Starmer?"

Sounds like we need one of those E3 countdown sites.

nubbe

The long night is coming and it will last several generations
No dragon queen or promised prince in sight

Brexit will be good for the EU, the UK has been a spoke in the wheel for too long
Sad for the peasants that think it will be good for them

Mind blowing that May is still in power after that election humiliation

jelly

I don't think anyone wants to hold the Brexit chalice, that's why May is still there.

What's this Sept 21st thing then, possible EU payment agreement ?

Uzzy

I don't think anyone wants to hold the Brexit chalice, that's why May is still there.

What's this Sept 21st thing then, possible EU payment agreement ?

Could be anything potentially important enough to cause a slight delay in negotiations. So a cabinet reshuffle, a statement on new policies, the Half Life 3 release date or a resignation. Probably just some policy statement, perhaps on a financial deal.

ss1

Neo Member
At this point, I’m half expecting Mrs. May to push the self-destruct button on Brexit and announce that we will exit the EU without trying to secure any deal.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
At this point, I’m half expecting Mrs. May to push the self-destruct button on Brexit and announce that we will exit the EU without trying to secure any deal.
I still do not believe that will happen

More of a delay and a flip flop norway deal.

Fucksake.

Do these people even know their own current rules?

Showing a passport will be mandatory for all EU nationals wanting to enter Britain
How am I supposed to get into Britain at this moment without ID? You aren't part of Schengen, so this was never a thing.

That graph from migration into the UK. Most from non-EU countries, so... you could restrict that already. A bump mostly from 2014 onward. Wonder what happened. Work restriction lifted for the new EU countries that the UK agreed to. No wonder there is more migration for a bit then.

And if you want Britons to do low skilled work, you might want to increase the wages there and the work environments. Because there is a reason people don't tend to go for those jobs anymore.

keep

How am I supposed to get into Britain at this moment without ID? You aren't part of Schengen, so this was never a thing.

EU nationals from countries with their own national IDs don't need to show a passport at UK customs, their national ID suffices. What they're saying is that they will revert to ask for passports and national IDs will not be valid proof anymore.

In the grand scheme of things of the shower of shit that is Brexit, this is just an expected nuisance.

This is to be expected. Can't enter the UK on a US national ID for example. And good luck on your 'deep and special partnership with the EU' when you can't even give preferential treatment to EU nationals. I don't think non-EU migration should be cut any further. That's basically kicking out skilled workers by then.

akinkcl

Neo Member

All well and good, but are the Brexiters willing to pick fruit or clean shitty toilets for £7.20 p/h?

RenditMan

Banned
Immigration is unlikely to change that much, they'll just turn away good people or make it frustrating enough they'll go elsewhere, the EU. Low skilled workers will just come from other places and leavers will complain for eternity while politicians and corps get to shape the UK into their little hell hole.

We are turning away EXCELLENT people now, in their droves.

Top Bottom