• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What movie made you walk out the theatre in awe?

PillarEN

El Topo. This was in the early 2010s. I had no idea what the movie was before seeing it at a college town. Blew my mind. My body went through various emotions on the way back to the care. Like some kind of intoxication through art. Laughter, joy, tears, un-clarity. It was a mindfuck. Recommend to anyone that doesn't mind odd flicks.

jbttwin

Black Sawn
Arrival

and The Revenant, which is interesting to me because I watched a LQ leaked version online a few weeks before I saw it in theaters and I HATED it. It truly is something you needed to experience in a movie theater.

Reedirect

The Dark Knight – the only time I've seen the entire theatre clap after the movie on a regular screening, not a movie festival or a fan screening like going to a midnight screening of Star Wars. Everyone was just completely stunned.

On a more personal basis, I walked out of Drive thinking that was probably the coolest movie I have ever seen.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Wait are we talking theater or home ? Cause some of these titles seem old.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Gravity. That movie might not be as good on rewatches (especially at home on a small TV), but that first viewing in the theater was WOW for me.

Mutant

jnoPFbO.png

Tarkovsky's Nostalghia

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
TDKR. Seeing Bale alive along with "You should use your real name Robin" hyped the fuck out of everyone. Standing ovation too.

The two most notable examples of this for me are Avatar and Mad Max: Fury Road. Avatar because it was a visual marvel especially on Lincoln Square 13's IMAX screen.

Fury Road because of how just nearly perfect it is as an action film for me.

ionitron

Not exactly 'awe' but of all movies in the last few years, Baby Driver is the first one in a really long time that had me leaving the theater and immediately wanting to rewatch it and catch all the details.

The Cowboy

Jurassic park, I saw it opening day and after it finished I walked out of the cinema - then bought another ticket and went straight back in for the next showing.

I've not done that with any other movie.

First film I remember that made me walk out in awe was The Usual Suspects. Incredible seeing the reactions play out in the cinema as it all started to come together.

Grisby

Lots of films. The Fountain immediately came to mind however when I read the thread title.

Seeing Hugh Jackman leave his body and blast off into the sky with some Clint Mansel music goodness was breathtaking.

Naar

The one I really remember being amazed by was Batman Begins. Not because it was a good movie (it's a great movie) but I went in with really low expectations considering the previous Batman movies but I really like the directors previous work as well as the actors in it.

But I didn't expect to be blown away the way I did. I think me going with low expectations and then being blown away is what made me keep thinking and talking about it.

Also I kinda stopped buying DVDs during that time and the Batman Begins DVD was one of the first DVDs I bought in about 2 years

Xe4

Banned
There have been a few. Not many, though I don't watch many movies in the theaters.

Notably the ones that just blew me away were Boy and the World and Princess Mononoke. It's a strange but wonderful feeling.

Gastone

I think the first movie that made me go "wow" was "Who framed Roger Rabbit", when i was a kid. Then after that it was "Jurassic Park". That was an amazing movie going experience.

Other extremely memorable and amazing theatre experiences include: "The Rock", "Speed", "The Matrix", "Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring", "The Dark Knight", "Ace Ventura", and the latest being "Star Wars - The Force Awakens".

Hoping the next one will be "Blade Runner 2049".

Lunaray

The Matrix
The Return of the King
Gravity
The Dark Knight
Inception

I didn't see this in the theatre, but Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke both floored me when I watched it too.

Fight Club. Skilled and original filmmaking on all fronts. It was subversive and blistering. To me at the time it felt like my generations A Clockwork Orange or Taxi Driver or even The Graduate. I came out with an adrenaline rush, actually felt a little high. Nothing since has done that.

Top Bottom